• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I missed a Black Friday Day sale here when they were 170 instead of 220 CDN but I really wish I had them for the holidays.

I might just pay full price for 1 pair and get another for us on sale.

I really want the new ones but I'll just give the old ones as an xmas gift,

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
You could migrate the accounts to Authy (I think it has a watch app). 1password will do it too but it isn't free. And of course it's a pain to migrate if you have a lot of 2FA accounts.
I switched away from Authy cause the watch app. It was kind of annoying that it showed the list of accounts but not the codes, you had to do an extra step once you had the app open. I switched to Salesforce Authenticator cause it just shows the list of accounts and codes right there.

(Phone app is basically the same way, Authy just shows the first account code/one at a time, Salesforce just shows the whole list of accounts/codes)

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I really want to get them, but I've been holding off forever until they release the variation with the wireless case.
i got them 2 months ago (after the iPad event) because i accepted the fact that they wouldn't be released before at least late spring of 2019 then.

Super happy with my purchase. The rumored "revamp" only adds Qi charging functionality, which is nice - but unlike your phone, your AirPods case isn't something you randomly pick up and put down. You purposefully plug it in to charge.

And the "always on Hey Siri" - fuck that, i have 3 devices now that could do "Hey Siri" and i've turned it off on all of them

Mar 3, 2018
Need some help;

I have an iPhone and an iPad Pro.

The iPad Pro has less storage than my iPhone. The iPad being 64gb. I set up my iPad and have been using it for a month, but I just found out all my iPhone photos are also on my iPad and it's tsking a few GB of space. How do I delete them all just from my iPad and not have my iPhone photos sync to my iPad automatically? Would appreciate the help. Thank you

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
On my wife's Macbook Air, I'm trying to find a way to get mailto: links to direct to Gmail in Safari rather than the stupid Mail app. It looks like there was an easy way to do that previously using an extension, but Apple isn't allowing third-party extensions any more.

Has anyone figured out a way to make this still happen?
Kinda rough but found a way to do it within Safari itself, like won't handle email links from other apps, and just goes to a compose page (doesn't open a new window...probably not too hard for someone that actually knows JS).

Used the javascript linked here: http://blog.monstuff.com/archives/000238.html

In Safari, turn on the Develop menu in Preferences->Advanced, then Show Extension Builder from the menu. Use the plus button in the bottom left corner to add a new extension, then in the Finder, put that javascript file into the extension folder you just made. Back to the extension builder window, set website access level to all and include secure pages, and under injected content->start scripts, select the javascript file.

Then hit the Run button in the upper right...not sure if you have to do it every time you launch Safari though (course I rarely close it to begin with).

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a cleaner way to do it in Chrome with an extension there, in which case you might try that and just use it as a separate Gmail app. There's some apps on the App Store that might work too but haven't tried them.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Need some help;

I have an iPhone and an iPad Pro.

The iPad Pro has less storage than my iPhone. The iPad being 64gb. I set up my iPad and have been using it for a month, but I just found out all my iPhone photos are also on my iPad and it's tsking a few GB of space. How do I delete them all just from my iPad and not have my iPhone photos sync to my iPad automatically? Would appreciate the help. Thank you
Go to Settings->your name/account at the top left->iCloud->Photos and turn off the stuff there.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

I recently sold my 2nd gen iPad on eBay. I included the Apple Pencil and Smart Cover as part of a bundle, to ultimately help cover the cost of the new iPad.

The buyer has been messaging me back saying that the Apple Pencil won't work. According to them, the iPad will recognize the Pencil but keeps hanging on the pairing process.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/8xwAAOSwF7lcHkLd/s-l1600.jpg
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/QEcAAOSwmkBcHkLu/s-l1600.jpg
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/PAMAAOSwysFcHkLw/s-l1600.jpg

I'm wondering if this might have anything to do with me resetting all my settings on the iPad, and the Pencil is still registered to me or something like that? I only used the Pencil a few times but there's no reason it shouldn't be working.

If this doesn't get resolved I may have to offer a partial discount for the Pencil, so help me out please.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
No the pencil doesn't register like that.

Honestly, he probably just needs to charge it properly. If you never used it. Just have him charge it and then try again.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No the pencil doesn't register like that.

Honestly, he probably just needs to charge it properly. If you never used it. Just have him charge it and then try again.

I have asked several times if he left it charging and his response has been "I've tried everything"

Think I'll insist that he takes it to a nearby store so professionals can inspect it. There's no reason it shouldn't be working.

lupin23rd

Oct 27, 2017
Is the current 2018 iPad (from spring) still a decent buy right now? I realize we're probably headed for a refresh but was thinking to replace parents' devices for Christmas and it's either that or the latest Mini which seems to be even more out of date. Or buy them a MacBook Air.

Last edited:

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Any word on iOS getting a dark mode like macOS?
It's going to happen. Project Marzipan's UIkit in MacOS already supports dark mode. So in due time we will have a bunch of universal Mac/iOS UIkit apps supprting dark mode, ready for when Apple flips that switch on iOS. I think iOS 13, regardless of when Marzipan gets into the hands of developers.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2019 iPhone still has a notch, 2020 iPhone has pinhole camera like the leaked samsungs

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
iOS 13 will hopefully be a complete overhaul but I fear Apple may be too afraid of alienating people who have very little technical skill. Those users are Apple's main focus and concern.
Hope it's a big overhaul, a rising tide raises all ships and I don't feel iOS is raising any tides these days

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Is the current 2018 iPad (from spring) still a decent buy right now? I realize we're probably headed for a refresh but was thinking to replace parents' devices for Christmas and it's either that or the latest Mini which seems to be even more out of date. Or buy them a MacBook Air.
If you know your parents needs can be fulfilled with an iPad, absolutely. I think rumor has it the next budget iPad will have a 10" instead of a 9.7" screen but I highly doubt screen quality or other specs will improve dramatically.

I got my mum the 2017 iPad to replace her Mini 2 and she loves it (after initially complaining how "huge" it is, you know how it goes lol)

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
It's the perfect "mom" computer. It's an incredible value given its specs.

Lace

Oct 27, 2017
Bought a iPad 2018 during the $229 sale that recently happened. I haven't opened the box just due to having see second thoughts if it's worth owning. I currently browse on a S9+ but wanted something bigger to use for lazy day web browsing. Generally I go to my home office to browse on my computer, but was hoping the iPad would be a good supplement to minimize that. Generally does anyone have any opinions on the 2018 iPad?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
My mum is still using my old iPad 2.

So was my girlfriend's mom (pracically my mother-in-law)
The iPad 2 was a hand-me-down to my girlfriend when i bought the Air, and a hand-me-down to her mom when i bought her her Mini 4.

The upgrade to the "2018 iPad" was an absolute no-brainer. It is her primary computer, her cookbook, her photo album. iOS 9 and 16 gigs of storage simply didn't cut it anymore.
It's funny considering she's the one with the most powerful iPad in the family now ...

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My mom was using an iPad 2014 or 2015 until she passed away recently. Now my sister is using it. She used that thing all the time it was also her cellphone. She had this little carrying case thing for it too it was so funny 😅 miss her a lot

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
Hope it's a big overhaul, a rising tide raises all ships and I don't feel iOS is raising any tides these days
I don't really think any change to iOS will have a big effect on competing OS's.
The OS for the iPad needs the biggest overhaul though and that really won't effect the almost non-existent non-iPad tablet market.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My mum is still using my old iPad 2.
So is my SO, except that iPad was my dad's back in the day. What a trooper, but it's really getting long in the tooth, after more than 7 years. Been planning to replace it since forever, but somehow it keeps on trucking. Gotta be one of the best iOS devices ever in longevity.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I'm tempted to go to a store right and buy a new iPad Pro a pair of AirPods and a HomePod.

Currently own 2 series 3, 2 xs, echo and echo dot, ring, nest, and an iPad air 2 between a family of 2 adults and two toddlers.

Talk me out of spending all this money.

Oh and I hook my dot up to my Sony ct800 sound bar for music right now

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I can. I just want to make sure it's worth I guess and I'm so burnt out on reading reviews and learning apple stuff non stop for a couple months now since this my first time being in this OS except my iPad Air and air 2

And I feel that I might as well throw a HomePod in for good measure if I have the rest anyways with a future Mac in my future next Xmas

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Pro and AirPods are 100% worth it. Would maybe say hold off on the HomePod for now though.

The weird thing about the HomePod is the fact that the hardware seems to be rather incredible and it's only going to get better as Siri gets better. I don't see how they would improve upon the device on other fronts - the speakers are great, it's not battery powered, i don't think it needs more processing power.

So unless you're hoping for them to do a huge price drop (outside special sales, not likely) - it's a device you should have minimal buyer's remorse.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm tempted to go to a store right and buy a new iPad Pro a pair of AirPods and a HomePod.

Currently own 2 series 3, 2 xs, echo and echo dot, ring, nest, and an iPad air 2 between a family of 2 adults and two toddlers.

Talk me out of spending all this money.

Oh and I hook my dot up to my Sony ct800 sound bar for music right now
Just don't forget a case for the iPad pro. Thing is stupid fragile

Oct 25, 2017
Which doesn't seem like a product anyone should be holding out for. Because there's "mediocre Speakers" with way better voice assistants that can also access Apple Music. - they're called Amazon Echo.

Precisely. As Siri gets better, the existing hardware will improve. If you want a better voice assistant *now* there are other options. Like you I don't really see much in the way of hardware (besides personally, a line-in plug, but I know philosophically that ship has sailed.)

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
I got a HomePod two weeks ago from BestBuy for $250. It's my first Apple speaker since my iPod HiFi. Honestly what I want is for the HomePod to access Amazon music through Siri. Yes I know it's never gonna happen but I can still want things. I have a "free" amazon music subscription from Prime and it's all I need.

Which doesn't seem like something Apple would much care to do.

Apple made the iPhone XR

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got a HomePod two weeks ago from BestBuy for $250. It's my first Apple speaker since my iPod HiFi. Honestly what I want is for the HomePod to access Amazon music through Siri. Yes I know it's never gonna happen but I can still want things. I have a "free" amazon music subscription from Prime and it's all I need.

Apple made the iPhone XR
Why don't you have an echo or home ? Lol

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just bought an Echo too. I like the HomePod a lot better. Not even to mention that the Echo listens to everything you say and saves it and apparently sometimes sends that info to random other people.
Siri saves everything you say too, that's just a part of home assistants. They even pay 3rd party companies to listen to it and audit the transcriptions.