• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably in the minority, but I'd rather widgets have priority over notifications. I feel the same way with Notification Center on MacOS—Dashboard hasn't been replaced for me because it's much faster than invoking control center and switching to the widget panel.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Whats the best app to store important PINs like for ec card or similar

... i have an inconspicuous contact in my phone where i store the pins as the various numbers.
Like, "Building Management" as the contact and then have "Barney" to be my "Bank card", "Victor" the pin of my "Visa credit card" etc.

I consider the likelihood of someone stealing my physical card, stealing my phone, somehow managing to unlock it, then browsing through hundreds of contacts to find the right pin, to be extremely low.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
... i have an inconspicuous contact in my phone where i store the pins as the various numbers.
Like, "Building Management" as the contact and then have "Barney" to be my "Bank card", "Victor" the pin of my "Visa credit card" etc.

I consider the likelihood of someone stealing my physical card, stealing my phone, somehow managing to unlock it, then browsing through hundreds of contacts to find the right pin, to be extremely low.
That's why I just have it encoded and in a misleadingly named shortcut that asks for a "password" lol

Obviously not suited for actually important stuff but as you said... steal/have unlocked phone + steal card + know shortcuts + browse through my dozen of shortcuts and find the one ... good compromise in terms of quick accessibility and "Security" IMO

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I can't decide between XS or XS Max, and then how much storage do I need? I only had phones with sdcards until now and never thought about it. 64GB sounds a bit too less, but 256GB is too much...

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
What do you do with your phone? Do you offload the photos/video you take on it?
I usually keep everything on the phone as long as I own it. I have backed up my other-phone photos and videos to Onedrive. I usually take more photos when the camera is good (like it was on the Lumia 950). Now with my OnePlus i don't use it that much.
I have average app usage but I guess that could change because I would be new to the ecosystem.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
I usually keep everything on the phone as long as I own it. I have backed up my other-phone photos and videos to Onedrive. I usually take more photos when the camera is good (like it was on the Lumia 950). Now with my OnePlus i don't use it that much.
I have average app usage but I guess that could change because I would be new to the ecosystem.

You're probably want to get the most storage you can, then, depending on how much you anticipate 'more photos when the camera is good' Might be. It's a good camera for a phone. And video camera. iOS does have the ability to store full-size photos in iCloud while keeping smaller size in the phone itself (the full size is downloaded when you need it), much like Google photos will. And it can save a lot of space, but that also requires a larger iCloud plan. (Though to be fair that's fairly reasonable, 50GB is .99 a month, 200GB is 2.99 a month, etc)

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone else has been hoping for a smaller eGPU box for small low/midrange cards, here's a new one:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13848/ces-2019-powercolor-visiontek-launch-compact-egfx-solutions
Only question is whether it has an internal PSU (probably not). Still, I'd probably get one of those if I were in the market.
Then I'd got 128GB. I got a 64GB this gen because I back up my phone to iTunes and manage my media on there and never have more than a month or two's worth of photos (and have a dedicated iPod for my entire music library). But if you're going to keep everything on-device for however long you're keeping it then you're much more likely to run into space issues, especially if shooting 4K video and the like.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Absolutely. Also, i hate the fact that you can't tell your device "yeah, i'm up 30 minutes, deactivate today's alarm" without turning off bedtime altogether.
When i get up at 6am (my bedtime is set to wake me at 6:30) i always have to rush back into the bedroom at 6:30 to turn off the stupid alarm.

let me know if i'm missing something here.

Right. I use auto sleep to track my sleeping with my watch. I would expect more than this based on the data it's picking up.

How much do u guys trust that AirPower report. If it comes I would be ecstatic but I thought it was a lost cause.

I need wireless charging stand for me and the wife's x. Also have the series 3 watch and a couple iPads to charge.

You guys have any opinions on good charging solutions?

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
You're probably want to get the most storage you can, then, depending on how much you anticipate 'more photos when the camera is good' Might be. It's a good camera for a phone. And video camera. iOS does have the ability to store full-size photos in iCloud while keeping smaller size in the phone itself (the full size is downloaded when you need it), much like Google photos will. And it can save a lot of space, but that also requires a larger iCloud plan. (Though to be fair that's fairly reasonable, 50GB is .99 a month, 200GB is 2.99 a month, etc)
Only question is whether it has an internal PSU (probably not). Still, I'd probably get one of those if I were in the market.

Then I'd got 128GB. I got a 64GB this gen because I back up my phone to iTunes and manage my media on there and never have more than a month or two's worth of photos (and have a dedicated iPod for my entire music library). But if you're going to keep everything on-device for however long you're keeping it then you're much more likely to run into space issues, especially if shooting 4K video and the like.
Thanks for the input. Yeah I did go 256GB. Will pick it up on Tuesday already! Can't wait, hopefully migrating will go smooth.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
How come I can't control my iPad from a now playing app on my watch like it does everything else? Am I missing something

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Wrong, now playing also controls the Apple TV, which is what justin haines was referring to
It controls the AppleTV via the remote app.
Similarly, it'll be able to control all kinds of apps on all kinds of devices via dedicated remote apps. (like Keynote, VLC, Plex, Kodi, ...)

It only controls whatever media playback is on your iPhone natively (i.e. in the 'now playing' section), though.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
It controls the AppleTV via the remote app.
Similarly, it'll be able to control all kinds of apps on all kinds of devices via dedicated remote apps. (like Keynote, VLC, Plex, Kodi, ...)

It only controls whatever media playback is on your iPhone natively (i.e. in the 'now playing' section), though.
58b0f5af-a506-4472-84tpjls.png

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Wrong, now playing also controls the Apple TV, which is what justin haines was referring to
ATV is an AirPlay target, iPad isn't. I guess that might be the reason. HomePod (also AirPlay) can be controlled from Now Playing too, other iPhones under your Apple ID can't (no AirPlay targets).

Technically it surely could be feasible but perhaps power draw or something is an issue, no idea how AirPlay works on a lower level.

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan

Apple Watch is able to control Apple TV because there are native Apple TV controls built into iPhone's control center. Whenever you add an Apple TV to you setup, you iPhone detects it and makes a set of controls available through the Control Center media controls (force touch on the now playing tile in Control Center and you'll see all of the Apple TVs listed). iPhone has no such connection to iPad so that's why an Apple Watch can't control it.

Edit: also because I saw someone mention the HomePod it's the same situation as the Apple TV. There are controls for a HomePod in the same spot as Apple TV on your iPhone so I think it works the same way when it comes to Apple Watch.

Last edited:

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Yeah it's external...and seems to have some weird ass port placement that putting me off. 6 pin power connector on left, ethernet on right, USB-A and TB3 on front. It mentions dual TB controllers so I don't know if there's another port somewhere too.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's external...and seems to have some weird ass port placement that putting me off. 6 pin power connector on left, ethernet on right, USB-A and TB3 on front. It mentions dual TB controllers so I don't know if there's another port somewhere too.
I think the dual controllers means that you can use the ports without hurting gaming bandwidth and vice versus.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Did we get any news on keyboards for iPad Pro at Ces? Are people afraid they can't sell against apples keyboard now or does it always take this long for after market.

Never bought a keyboard for my iPad Air 2 so I should figure out what the go to one for that iPad is as well.

I just can't stand not having this Pro in a case, I know I will not break it but shit happens and Apples keyboard case thing will at least KINDA protect it and give me my angle sitting features back.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Did we get any news on keyboards for iPad Pro at Ces? Are people afraid they can't sell against apples keyboard now or does it always take this long for after market.

Never bought a keyboard for my iPad Air 2 so I should figure out what the go to one for that iPad is as well.

I just can't stand not having this Pro in a case, I know I will not break it but shit happens and Apples keyboard case thing will at least KINDA protect it and give me my angle sitting features back.

I'm pretty sure Apple is not licensing the new smart connector like they did with the old.

Try this: https://www.brydge.com/

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder what apple will do with iPhone design this year. While these hole punch displays don't resolve the compromises of a notch completely, they sure make any iPhone-sized notch phone look outdated already. Not sure if just a smaller notch will cut it. Doesn't help that basically all of these hole punch phones will be quite a bit cheaper than the iPhone.

We will see

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I'd rather take a smaller notch than the hole in the corner. Hate asymmetrical shit like that.

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
before the notch was a thing i always envisioned the "full screen devices" to have a hole in them and i always thought the hole to be in the center, i see no reason why they couldn't do that if you hate "asymmetrical shit".

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Sure, didn't say anything about that. A hole in the middle would be fine. Personally feel like the useless pixels between the hole and the bezel would bother me more than just having the regular old notch, though.

So yeah, if they manage to make the sensor array and whatever in the notch considerably smaller, I personally hope they just go with a smaller notch for XI, rather than any sort of punch hole situation.

None of this matters that much, though, since my next iPhone will most likely be an XS when its price comes down a bit.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wonder what apple will do with iPhone design this year. While these hole punch displays don't resolve the compromises of a notch completely, they sure make any iPhone-sized notch phone look outdated already. Not sure if just a smaller notch will cut it. Doesn't help that basically all of these hole punch phones will be quite a bit cheaper than the iPhone.

We will see
The sensor array iPhone has for Face ID is far more complex and powerful than a front camera, otherwise Apple could have made something as small as the "punch hole", which I don't think is a great idea - to have a dead screen area that is an island with pixels all around it. IMHO it would have been a much better idea to push it to an edge or better yet, a corner of the display. I think manufacturers aren't exploring the corners nearly enough, especially as they already added a dead area to them with the rounded corners. They are primed to have sensors pushed there with minimal display real estate loss. Although I understand the manufacturing challenges as the hidden part of a camera module is larger than the lens, which limits how much it can be pushed to an edge or corner. But I guess that's where pushing the envelope comes.

Realistically, I think we'll just see a smaller notch. Hopefully in both width and height.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't get the "outdated" comments, because the hole punch displays look horrendous. I'd much rather have a notch, and considering I don't even notice it on my iPhone now after just a week or two it's really not an actual "compromise" in the design in any ways I think except the loss of display info like battery percentage.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, face ID can't work with a single camera, so we're either looking at a wide hole or a notch.

For me it's pretty much the same shit, I don't mind notches, but it's all dumb shit for a camera I don't even use. Give me a fingerprint reader on the back of the phone, maybe an additional one under the screen for convenience and get rid of all the camera's at the front for a true full screen phone, that's the dream.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
What iPhone model would you folks recommend if you don't want a "new expensive" one but would want to use it for at least 3 years?
My SO is also in the market for a new phone and she will probably also go the iOS route, since she des not like android (from watching me use it).

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I'm a big fan of the X but I wanted an OLED screen etc.

You could prob get something else way way cheaper than a used x.

Oct 25, 2017
What iPhone model would you folks recommend if you don't want a "new expensive" one but would want to use it for at least 3 years?
My SO is also in the market for a new phone and she will probably also go the iOS route, since she des not like android (from watching me use it).

Realistically any of the current Apple lineup is going to last 3 years, so you could just get a cheaper 7 or 8. There are also refurb options for the them to save a bit more, but those require you to be quick and jump on stock when it's there.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I'd go with a used regular 6S or 7 Plus (you'd probably have to replace the battery), but honestly both are probably only going to be pleasant to use for 2-ish years (the 7 Plus's improved camera, larger size, and extra RAM make it more likely to be usable in 2021/2022).

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Thanks again! I eyed the 7 or 6s yeah, maybe 8 makes also sense... but it's still pretty expensive.
Also recieved my XS - currently updating and setting up. I somehow feel at home after those Windows Phone years, everything is where you expect it.

edit: first small hiccup.
I set Outlook to sync everything tho everything but my Calendar items are showing :-/

Last edited:

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks again! I eyed the 7 or 6s yeah, maybe 8 makes also sense... but it's still pretty expensive.
Also recieved my XS - currently updating and setting up. I somehow feel at home after those Windows Phone years, everything is where you expect it.

edit: first small hiccup.
I set Outlook to sync everything tho everything but my Calendar items are showing :-/

Make sure in the calendar app that the outlook calendars are actually checked to show. Bottom of the app, tap the Calendars button.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017

If possible I'd go XR. She'll have a closer experience to yours.. but yeah if you're trying to go cheaper than that a 7 or 8 would be fine.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Make sure in the calendar app that the outlook calendars are actually checked to show. Bottom of the app, tap the Calendars button.
Seems like it was an Outlook App issue. Sync works fine without the app installed.

If possible I'd go XR. She'll have a closer experience to yours.. but yeah if you're trying to go cheaper than that a 7 or 8 would be fine.
XR is probably too big :( Also currently looking how to transfer text(SMS) messages to iOS from Android and Windows Phone, it's a bit impossible it seems.
I tried 3rd party apps and whatnot so far.. sadly no dice.

edit: Managed to transfer texts from Android via 3rd party software. Hopefully WP works too but have not tested it yet.
Now a weird issue I have is with Photos and iCloud - not sure how this works? I transferred all photos to my XS but I can't delete them, now I disabled iCloud for Photos and all are gone, even tho there is nothing backed up on iCloud?

Sorry for all this questions, but I am still in the transition phase ;)

Last edited:

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I have been using Fantastical 2 for calendar and Outlook/hotmail for email.

Any reason I should be switching? To be completely honest I never used the Apple Calander. Just heard people weren't impressed with it and never tried it.

...........and I just locked myself out of my phone. I'm fucked aren't I. I made a new password at work and went to write it down in my notes and forgot too when something must have come up.

So now unless I can remember it I will lose all my data but i will be able to recover it by going to Apple? Also I never had a recovery on iTunes as I'm new to Apple and didn't realize this was something I needed to do, so I guess a MAC is in my future much sooner than I expected.

I just get whatever is new and cheap I guess. So prob the cheapest MacBook Air?