• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why don't people use Apples email client?

I've been using hotmail and outlook app for it. Saw it highly recommended. Should I switch to something else while I still can being all Apple now.

Maybe if Apple stocked the base laptops they sell with more than 128GB space, people could luxuriously use desktop mail clients, and have 20-30gb mail libraries sitting on their hard disk. But even outside that, I think even if you have the storage space... webmail is just better.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if Apple stocked the base laptops they sell with more than 128GB space, people could luxuriously use desktop mail clients, and have 20-30gb mail libraries sitting on their hard disk. But even outside that, I think even if you have the storage space... webmail is just better.

I set my client to only download "recent" attachments. My mail library across 3 mail accounts is < 5GB.

My issue with webmail is its lack of OS integration. rightclick -> share -> mail -> "here's your shit" -> send.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Decided to stick with Apple Music today and the phone's battery is down to 81% only now, 6 hours after unplugging it compared to yesterday's 2 hours when I listened to music on Spotify. And this is with streaming music on Apple Music vs. listening to downloaded songs on Spotify. Something is definitely super fucky with Spotify, hope it gets fixed (or it fixes itself) soon.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Mail app is my favorite email client on MacOS on the planet.

I won't use other smaller email clients because mail is so good, but also because they frequently get discontinued and have halted development and have bugs that are slowly fixed when next years edition of MacOS comes out.

Nov 5, 2017
gurman has a report out:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ing-iphone-ipad-mac-apps-by-2021?srnd=premium

- WWDC this year new SDK will allow for devs to bring iPad apps to macOS
- next year same for iPad apps
- 2021 there will be a single binary for iOS and macOS apps.

They might also Preview the new Mac Pro.

Sounds great. Remember when iPad apps and iPhone apps had separate binaries and then Apple decided to merge them together into a single binary? That transition went without any hitches and I am sure the same will be true come 2021...Apple has a fantastic track record of making these changes dev-side and no real issues resulting from it (transition to Intel architecture, transition to APFS, etc).

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
gurman has a report out:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ing-iphone-ipad-mac-apps-by-2021?srnd=premium

?

But yeah, they teased bringing iOS apps to macOS last year already. (Home, Voice Memos, Stocks as prototypes).
It'd be fantastic to have the Google Maps app on the Mac, as the one in Safari is so resource hungry in Satellite View because it automatically renders 3D buildings.
Also, Instagram, Heartfeed, Overcast ...

Also, i want a pure AppleMusic app. Fuck iTunes.

Oct 25, 2017
?

But yeah, they teased bringing iOS apps to macOS last year already. (Home, Voice Memos, Stocks as prototypes).
It'd be fantastic to have the Google Maps app on the Mac, as the one in Safari is so resource hungry in Satellite View because it automatically renders 3D buildings.
Also, Instagram, Heartfeed, Overcast ...

Also, i want a pure AppleMusic app. Fuck iTunes.

Frankly I'm happy with iTunes just the way it is. If they update it I'd be supremely concerned that it simply wouldn't work with my old iPod hardware.

I get people hate it on Windows, but there's really no issues I ever have with it on MacOS. It doesn't kill my computer (Slack and Automator use more memory) and with 9000 items/85GB on an external hard drive I don't run into slowdowns.

(I still wish for the return of party shuffle.)

It doesn't help that a lot of the suggestions of splitting up into a million different applications seem asinine. If you really wanted to split something out of it, bringing by a dedicated Sync app would make the most sense. But I don't want to go to different applications for all my media.

gurman has a report out:

They better do more than preview it, considering it'll have been two years since their "we screwed up" roundtable come this April.

If they don't have anything to show that doesn't exactly scream confidence in buying pro hardware that they can't make a priority to get out after multiple years.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Frankly I'm happy with iTunes just the way it is. If they update it I'd be supremely concerned that it simply wouldn't work with my old iPod hardware.

i don't mind iTunes, but it's utterly cumbersome if you just want an "Apple Music Player".

Look at your phone, there's an "App Store", a "Music" app, the "iTunes Store", the "Podcasts" app. On your Mac, all of these functionalities are within the same app - and it's detrimental to the useability of each individual functionality. Remember, when the Mac App store was still part of iTunes?

And now look how it was able to blossom (aesthetically, as well as UX) because it's no longer bound by the constraints of being part of a cumbersome one-size-fits-all tabs-on-top-sidebar-on-the-left mega-app.

Oct 25, 2017
i don't mind iTunes, but it's utterly cumbersome if you just want an "Apple Music Player".

Look at your phone, there's an "App Store", a "Music" app, the "iTunes Store", the "Podcasts" app. On your Mac, all of these functionalities are within the same app - and it's detrimental to the useability of each individual functionality. Remember, when the Mac App store was still part of iTunes?

And now look how it was able to blossom (aesthetically, as well as UX) because it's no longer bound by the constraints of being part of a cumbersome one-size-fits-all tabs-on-top-sidebar-on-the-left mega-app.

Ah, well that's fair. As someone who doesn't use Apple Music (I buy my music and play it on my iPod like it's 2007 still!) I'd be fine if they spun it off into its own thing so everyone can be happy.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Asking for a suggestion. Speaking of Apple Mail, is there any good way to save old emails online in Gmail, and get them off of my computer in Apple mail?

I use gmail as my primary email (forward other addresses to gmail and send from other addresses for work). But I use Apple Mail to check my mail and save it.

These days I get like 20K emails per year, its crazy. I used to periodically save old email in a folder and then less frequently offload those folders to external storage. However my mail folder is taking up a large and larger percentage of my SSD and SSDs are still expensive and much smaller than old world HDDs. And I never look at the old email anyway... Once I take several years old email out of apple mail it is rarely worth the effort to bring it back.

What is the easiest way to periodically sweep old emails out of my Apple mail but to keep them all saved in the Cloud with Gmail?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Asking for a suggestion. Speaking of Apple Mail, is there any good way to save old emails online in Gmail, and get them off of my computer in Apple mail?

I use gmail as my primary email (forward other addresses to gmail and send from other addresses for work). But I use Apple Mail to check my mail and save it.

These days I get like 20K emails per year, its crazy. I used to periodically save old email in a folder and then less frequently offload those folders to external storage. However my mail folder is taking up a large and larger percentage of my SSD and SSDs are still expensive and much smaller than old world HDDs. And I never look at the old email anyway... Once I take several years old email out of apple mail it is rarely worth the effort to bring it back.

What is the easiest way to periodically sweep old emails out of my Apple mail but to keep them all saved in the Cloud with Gmail?

Could you give like an example of your workflow with some dummy mail account names, because i'm not quite sure i understand.

You can have gmail pull mails from another pop3 or iMap account.
Why don't you do that and then apply some kind of label to them according to the recipient (your 'old' email address) and then delete them from the original account.

I did that when i migrated from my ISP issued email (25 years old ...) that ended up getting way too much spam.
I set up gmail to pull mails from the ISP server and forward them to my fresh @iCloud.com mailbox.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Could you give like an example of your workflow with some dummy mail account names, because i'm not quite sure i understand.

You can have gmail pull mails from another pop3 or iMap account.
Why don't you do that and then apply some kind of label to them according to the recipient (your 'old' email address) and then delete them from the original account.

I did that when i migrated from my ISP issued email (25 years old ...) that ended up getting way too much spam.
I set up gmail to pull mails from the ISP server and forward them to my fresh @iCloud.com mailbox.

Not sure I need to do that.

Basically I get a lot of email to my gmail account. I want to keep checking my gmail in Apple Mail but I want to periodically reduce the amount of old email that is contained within the Apple Mail app (but I want this email to still be searchable in gmail).

Like for example once a year, in January 2020, I want to go to gmail in my browser and move all of my email from 2018 and before to somewhere else in gmail with some kind of automated command. Then have the email from 2018 and before be not taking up space in Apple Mail, but have it be still searchable in gmail in a web browser.

Is anything like that possible?

I would prefer not to delete them from my main gmail account. I have a large amount of storage in this gmail account that I am using.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure I need to do that.

Basically I get a lot of email to my gmail account. I want to keep checking my gmail in Apple Mail but I want to periodically reduce the amount of old email that is contained within the Apple Mail app (but I want this email to still be searchable in gmail).

Like for example once a year, in January 2020, I want to go to gmail in my browser and move all of my email from 2018 and before to somewhere else in gmail with some kind of automated command. Then have the email from 2018 and before be not taking up space in Apple Mail, but have it be still searchable in gmail in a web browser.

Is anything like that possible?

I would prefer not to delete them from my main gmail account. I have a large amount of storage in this gmail account that I am using.

I think you can set up Google to only sync certain labels via IMAP in settings in the web-client. Only those would be synced to your Mac.
So could you just do a search in the web client, and move all mail with a date older than XYZ to the "old shit" label?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I will look into that... Thank you!
i just tried, seems to work.

You need to set up the new label, set it to NOT "show in iMap" on gmail.
then do a search like:

"before:2017/12/31"

mark all the mails and shove em into old shit. They should disappear from your mailbox on the mac when you synchronize your gmail account.

edit: Now, you could also have a smart folder on your mac which does "Older than 2 years", and periodically, you just log into gmail, make the label show, drag the mails into the label, and then hide the label again. Literally sweeping your mails under the rug ;)
Depends on where you wanna do the whole searching/moving thing.

Last edited:

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
i just tried, seems to work.

You need to set up the new label, set it to NOT "show in iMap" on gmail.
then do a search like:

"before:2017/12/31"

mark all the mails and shove em into old shit. They should disappear from your mailbox on the mac when you synchronize your gmail account.

edit: Now, you could also have a smart folder on your mac which does "Older than 2 years", and periodically, you just log into gmail, make the label show, drag the mails into the label, and then hide the label again. Literally sweeping your mails under the rug ;)

Thanks! I am going to try that now...

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017

Can you explain to me how to do this more precisely? I know how to create a smart folder that includes anything older than two years.

I am not sure how to "make the label show, drag the mails into the label, and then hide the label again". How would I make that work in gmail? Thanks!

infiniteloop

Oct 25, 2017
Apple should eat their own dog food and move all macOS apps to shared iPad/macOS apps: Music, Mail, Photos, Messages, etc.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Apple should eat their own dog food and move all macOS apps to shared iPad/macOS apps: Music, Mail, Photos, Messages, etc.
Please spare me if it turns out like the PoS that is Home and News. To this very date (we are quickly nearing one year of public access to Mojave and therefore my radar submission) you can't double click in the shitty background scrollbar of the Home app to select a picture. You have to drag and drop the photo in and even then it will likely come out squashed in some way or shape with no way to fix it. It's a little thing but a testament to how crappy and rushed these apps/the framework are right now.

I'll take a universal app on Mac over none for indie developers but I won't accept half-assed shit like this from major corporations. I seriously hope Apple will have higher standards once the whole stuff is fleshed out but going by their utter negligence of their own "universal" apps from Mojave, things are looking grim.

Photos on macOS is something I can get along with. Enough iOS to feel right at home but decently fleshed out for desktop use.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I get people hate it on Windows, but there's really no issues I ever have with it on MacOS. It doesn't kill my computer (Slack and Automator use more memory) and with 9000 items/85GB on an external hard drive I don't run into slowdowns.

(I still wish for the return of party shuffle.)

It doesn't help that a lot of the suggestions of splitting up into a million different applications seem asinine. If you really wanted to split something out of it, bringing by a dedicated Sync app would make the most sense. But I don't want to go to different applications for all my media.

Even if they split the functions into separate apps, I imagine that iTunes as an app would stick around for exactly that reason. It would likely just be relegated to the Utilities folder when you first turn the computer on

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Can you explain to me how to do this more precisely? I know how to create a smart folder that includes anything older than two years.

I am not sure how to "make the label show, drag the mails into the label, and then hide the label again". How would I make that work in gmail? Thanks!

You go to mail.google.com
hit the gear symbol -> settings -> Labels

at the bottom you click "create new Label" - name it ... "Old Mails" - toggle "Show in IMAP"

now on MacOS, when you rightclick your gmail box and hit "synchronize" the Label should show amongst the mailboxes / labels in the side bar.
Drag any old mails onto that label. Go back to the gmail web client and uncheck "Show in IMAP", synchronize. The "old mails" folder/label should disappear again.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You go to mail.google.com
hit the gear symbol -> settings -> Labels

at the bottom you click "create new Label" - name it ... "Old Mails" - toggle "Show in IMAP"

now on MacOS, when you rightclick your gmail box and hit "synchronize" the Label should show amongst the mailboxes / labels in the side bar.
Drag any old mails onto that label. Go back to the gmail web client and uncheck "Show in IMAP", synchronize. The "old mails" folder/label should disappear again.

You could also probably set up a rule to have mail.app sort all the old stuff for you, yeah?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
You can limit the amount of emails that get downloaded by clients in the gmail dashboard in general. Sorry if you tried that already, it works fine for me.

Gmail dashboard → dismiss Gmail for iOS popup → Cog wheel on the right → Settings → Forwarding / POP / IMAP → Limit IMAP message count (this will apply globally to all clients)

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
You can limit the amount of emails that get downloaded by clients in the gmail dashboard in general. Sorry if you tried that already, it works fine for me.

Gmail dashboard → dismiss Gmail for iOS popup → Cog wheel on the right → Settings → Forwarding / POP / IMAP → Limit IMAP message count (this will apply globally to all clients)

Thanks! That's probably the simplest thing and it doesn't require any further future maintenance for me to do, which is a huge plus.

However it only goes to 10K emails. I guess I'll have to live with only 10K emails, and see how I do with that many in my IMAP folder...

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

haha, ok, that's like ... the right solution. I wasn't aware of this!

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
This isn't 100% what you want, but if you're just looking to free up disk space, you can instruct Mail.app on macOS to only download recent attachments.

It's under Preferences -> Accounts -> Account Information tab -> Download attachments (on Mojave).

Gibbs

Oct 25, 2017
West Virginia
I upgraded from a 32GB iPhone 7 to the 128GB Red Xr. I am pleasantly surprised honestly. I know a lot of people are against the thicker bezels and the LED screen, but so far I honestly am really happy with my purchase. I never used 3D touch on my 7 so it was never really an issue.

Gestures is a whole new thing to me, so figuring that out was fun. I am loving wireless charging though. Soooo good. Battery life is tremendous compared to what i'm use to though. First time in months I didn't have to put my phone on a charger one - three times in a day.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't 100% what you want, but if you're just looking to free up disk space, you can instruct Mail.app on macOS to only download recent attachments.

It's under Preferences -> Accounts -> Account Information tab -> Download attachments (on Mojave).

How recent will the attachments be that are downloaded? One week? One month?

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Ordered this leather strap for my Watch S4 three days ago: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071LTS2RD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just got it. Absolutely no idea how they managed to get it from the US to Finland that fast, but I'm not complaining.

After a super quick test the strap itself seems fantastic too, super smooth and soft almost to the point that I'm doubting the "100% genuine leather" part lol, and it looks much better than the sport loop. Very sleek, very minimal and small, unlike some of the other monstrosities I saw when googling for a leather strap.

Much better than what I expected for the price. Hope it lasts for a while.

e: one negative, one of the connectors is just a tiiiny bit loose, so it makes this pretty clear metallic rattle at certain positions when the Watch vibrates. Not sure if there's anything I can do about that.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm excited to see what the ARM Macs look like. I likely won't be in the market since I'll still be rocking the iPad Pro/desktop Mac combo, but I'm fascinated nonetheless

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Knowing Apple they won't want to make Intel and ARM coexist for long. So what happens with the desktop Pro end that is just being revived? Will Apple really whip out souped up chips that are able to compete in the Xeon category?

Oct 25, 2017
Knowing Apple they won't want to make Intel and ARM coexist for long. So what happens with the desktop Pro end that is just being revived? Will Apple really whip out souped up chips that are able to compete in the Xeon category?

That's the question no one but Apple can answer at this point. I see a lot of "but they can't compete with i7's", but that's unknown to anyone outside Apple because they've never made a 45 or 60W or 130W chip with actual cooling solutions in a shipping product. I wouldn't count them out.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
In a weird situation where I'd like to get a new 10nm Intel-based MacBook Pro this year, but if we're a year away from a major architecture shift, I almost wonder if I should wait.

Oct 25, 2017
In a weird situation where I'd like to get a new 10nm Intel-based MacBook Pro this year, but if we're a year away from a major architecture shift, I almost wonder if I should wait.

For me it's hoping the new Mac Pro comes with Mojave and debating whether to buy a first-gen revision, just because I'd like the legacy 32-bit application support (and getting rid of the old Mac Pro to make some more room.)

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
I upgraded from a 32GB iPhone 7 to the 128GB Red Xr. I am pleasantly surprised honestly. I know a lot of people are against the thicker bezels and the LED screen, but so far I honestly am really happy with my purchase. I never used 3D touch on my 7 so it was never really an issue.

Gestures is a whole new thing to me, so figuring that out was fun. I am loving wireless charging though. Soooo good. Battery life is tremendous compared to what i'm use to though. First time in months I didn't have to put my phone on a charger one - three times in a day.

It's a good phone, and the jump from 7 to any of this year's X phones would be fairly sizable

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's the question no one but Apple can answer at this point. I see a lot of "but they can't compete with i7's", but that's unknown to anyone outside Apple because they've never made a 45 or 60W or 130W chip with actual cooling solutions in a shipping product. I wouldn't count them out.

Yep, I think that's a missing piece in this whole discussion. Apple right now makes very low wattage, passively cooled chips and they kill. Taking that, pumping up the power and adding a fan could absolutely destroy Intel, we won't know until it happens.

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada
I set up a managed/supervised/restricted account on my Mini to used when my toddler wants to computer— there is an amazing amount of harm that random clicks and keyboard smashes can do— and it seems YouTube playback is super choppy on it, but that works fine on my account on the machine. Any ideas?

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I just learned AirPods play out of one only with no issue. Neat. Even happier with them now, for when I want to lay in bed and watch something.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
How come I can't go from Apple Music on iPhone to IPad and have any continuity, I must be missing something, or expecting too much.

Let's say I have Apple Music playing Video Playlist on my phone. Why can't I setup iPad and push a button and it switches over to that? Why is the lil now playing bar you can click on ipad the last thing on there instead of what is playing on my phone? I can't even airplay to my iPad from my phone as far as I can see?

When I have safari or messenger etc opened I get that lil icon that lets me jump to that on iPad. Why doesn't Apple Music have that or where is my brain going wrong here.

It's as simple as airdropping from one device to another isn't it. Not as smooth but I guess I need to use airdrop between my own devices more

Last edited:

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I think we've had a similar discussion a while ago. iOS devices are no airplay targets. I agree a continuity feature for Music like with other apps would be nice to have though.