• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.

Apple |OT|

For smaller or lower-power devices, they're awesome. I have a bunch all around the house, and they get used constantly -- bedside table, sofa end tables, at my desk, a stand version in the kitchen for cooking timers. I even got a Qi-to-micro USB adapter for my Kindle so I can charge that wirelessly.

They won't work well with an iPad, though. They just don't put out enough power.
I would only need them for my X.

Jan 11, 2018
Anyone having battery problems with the Series 4 watch? I have a 40mm Space Gray aluminum model that I bought last Saturday. Charged it to 100% and exactly one day later there's only 36% battery left. I have the 42mm Series 3 watch and it still has ~50% battery left after one day of use and normally lasts 2 days.

Some internet posts say to give it a few days because the new watch is still indexing stuff. Any truth to that?

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone having battery problems with the Series 4 watch? I have a 40mm Space Gray aluminum model that I bought last Saturday. Charged it to 100% and exactly one day later there's only 36% battery left. I have the 42mm Series 3 watch and it still has ~50% battery left after one day of use and normally lasts 2 days.

Some internet posts say to give it a few days because the new watch is still indexing stuff. Any truth to that?
I would give it a few days. But 36% left after 24 hours does not sound unreasonable at all for a 40 mm series 4, which is what I have. Really depends on your usage patterns. I've heard the series 3 may have slightly better battery life.

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, you are comparing a 40/38mm watch with a 42/44mm watch. A discrepancy of 10% in battery doesn't seem too outlandish I think?

Jan 11, 2018
I would give it a few days. But 36% left after 24 hours does not sound unreasonable at all for a 40 mm series 4, which is what I have. Really depends on your usage patterns. I've heard the series 3 may have slightly better battery life.
I mean, you are comparing a 40/38mm watch with a 42/44mm watch. A discrepancy of 10% in battery doesn't seem too outlandish I think?
Yeah, maybe I just got used to the 42mm battery life that the 40mm threw me off. I'm gonna give it a few days and if I still can't get a solid 2-day battery life, I'm gonna exchange it for the 44mm version. Thanks!

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, maybe I just got used to the 42mm battery life that the 40mm threw me off. I'm gonna give it a few days and if I still can't get a solid 2-day battery life, I'm gonna exchange it for the 44mm version. Thanks!
The 44 probably gets better battery but I’m not sure many are reporting being able to get 2 day battery out of their series 4

I keep getting tempted to pick up an iPhone X even though my iPhone SE is still perfectly fine, and I really don't want anything bigger than it.

It helps that the price is so high. If it was closer to $600 I probably would have snapped by now. I got damn close when Best Buy put 'em on sale for $749 back on the 1st.

Oct 28, 2017
I keep getting tempted to pick up an iPhone X even though my iPhone SE is still perfectly fine, and I really don't want anything bigger than it.

It helps that the price is so high. If it was closer to $600 I probably would have snapped by now. I got damn close when Best Buy put 'em on sale for $749 back on the 1st.
I went from an SE to an X last year and I'm glad that I did, browsing the web is just so much better now.

I went from an SE to an X last year and I'm glad that I did, browsing the web is just so much better now.
I'd want it for the better camera more than anything. I don't really do a whole lot of web/video consumption on my iPhone.

I'd probably be better off taking the $899 an iPhone X costs and dumping it into a LTE-equipped Apple Watch and some airpods, that way I could start leaving my phone at home more often.

Oct 25, 2017

Haha, what? The AppleWatch most definitely doesn't need "a few days" to index stuff.

Personally, depending on how much i actively used it throughout the day, whether or not i did a workout, i go to bed with around 65% or so battery left; on my 40mm.

What might really be happening here is there "I GOT A NEW DEVICE!" effect and you're just fiddling around with it a lot more than someone who's already through the "honeymoon period". This is a severe impact to battery life on the AppleWatch because screen-on time is the biggest battery hog. on a device with that small a battery.

Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth with sleep tracking and the like, I have a Series 4, I use AutoSleep, and it tracks me pretty darn well to my eye, gives good trending info, and takes maybe 10% off my battery while I sleep, which means I just charge when brushing my teeth and shower and I'm near 100 for the day.

Question: You can ignore all the Nike+ features of an Nike+ Apple Watch, correct? B&H has a good deal on 'em but I don't have a need for any of that but I also don't want to be forced into a permanent complication or something.
Yes. I have a Nike watch and I don't use the Nike stuff at all.

Oct 26, 2017
Something that crossed my mind is that if Apple kept or keeps working on under the display Touch ID it could eventually work really well on the Apple Watch too. I can already put my finger on it and imagine it, it'd be neat. Although the passcode still needs to be input every day or so. But still it would make it smoother to take off and put it back on your wrist along the day.