• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
The only benefit of hands-free Hey Siri, to me, would be to assign "double tap" to play/pause on both ears. I very rarely set the volume or call someone via Siri on the Airpods, but i kinda still want access to that feature.

Also, it's nice to see that the charging case is available invdividually and is backwards compatible, but 80 bucks is too steep for (imho) limited benefits. Qi charging's benefits are being able to just pick up and put down your phone without having to fumble around with a cable.

I don't pick up / put down my charging case all that much, and i pretty much exclusively charge it over night. So i don't feel like i'm missing out on much.

Definitely neat features for 'late adopters' but nothing us early adopters should shed a tear about, really ...

timeforsana

Oct 26, 2017
£80 for a charging case?

giphy.gif

Nah I'm good.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Its 10 € on top but yeah, that wasn't really a thing to buy on the store so mostly nobody did know about it. The prices are ridiculous irrespective of that.
Not sure if that's the case (pun intended), it seems pretty much the industry standard price or thereabouts.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
thats disappointing. Hey siri constantly listening is pointless IMO - I don't use it much, I can double tap my headphone if I want to without much effort, and I'd rather keep the complexity and cost down

wrieless case is nice but crazy expensive

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
wait - the actual headphones are the same price - its $40/£40 more just for adding a coil of copper to the case?? Even more crazy

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
£80 for a charging case?

giphy.gif

Nah I'm good.

Well there is tech in it to make the charging work. I prefer wired charging anyway. Don't see the point of wireless charging when it is (1) energy wasteful (2) requires you to put it on a specific mat in a specific spot and (3) not really case friendly unless you buy a specific case and (4) takes longer.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
bummed, was looking forward to airpods 2 the most and it's basically a nothing upgrade

sigh, the wait for gen 3 begins ☹️
Hm, aside from not offering a black option, I'm not entirely sure what more people were expecting? A different form factor?

I mean, it upgrades the internals, adds wireless charging, quicker connections, so I assume it will move to BT 5.0 as well. Seems like pretty much what you'd expect in an upgrade?

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hm, aside from not offering a black option, I'm not entirely sure what more people were expecting? A different form factor?

I mean, it upgrades the internals, adds wireless charging, quicker connections, so I assume it will move to BT 5.0 as well. Seems like pretty much what you'd expect in an upgrade?
I think people really want in-ears or at least an option to adapt the AirPods shape and still fit in the charging case.

Also a bit of controls. But with Hey Siri I guess it frees up the double tap to be used in a new way?

ara

Oct 26, 2017

Noise cancelling/isolation would be the big one for me. Looks like it's probably happening with gen 3 going by the tweet posted in the other thread.

Oct 25, 2017
This AirPod update is what I expected minus the potential change to a grippier material, and water resistance. In-ear might never happen, and I don't know about controls on the AirPods anymore.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I think people really want in-ears or at least an option to adapt the AirPods shape and still fit in the charging case.

Also a bit of controls. But with Hey Siri I guess it frees up the double tap to be used in a new way?
Currently the option is already there to switch from "hey siri" to play/pause and next track, so I reckon that will be the default now.

Noise cancelling/isolation would be the big one for me. Looks like it's probably happening with gen 3 going by the tweet posted in the other thread.
Noise isolation is only going to happen if it would become IEM, and tbh, I'm glad Apple is the one offering these. Everything else is IEM and I can't spend the entire day at work with those personally. The major selling point for Airpods is the fact that they're not IEM to me.

While I'd like it if they made a second model with IEM, I don't expect them to do that.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah they're basically exactly what the rumours have said they would be for months. Wasn't expecting anything else.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I swear to god I had a dream last night that Apple announced a iPhone SE followup and now I wake up to a third day of new Apple products...man I hope that's precognition in action.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Boo, I was hoping for a black option and a more grippy material before giving them a go. Might try out the Jabra Elite

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Well there is tech in it to make the charging work. I prefer wired charging anyway. Don't see the point of wireless charging when it is (1) energy wasteful (2) requires you to put it on a specific mat in a specific spot and (3) not really case friendly unless you buy a specific case and (4) takes longer.

Well in my case we'd have 1 mat on the kitchen counter, rather than an Anker device with 4 charging cables hanging out of it all the time. It's a mess.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=airpod...=TXNDDRF3NTXX&sprefix=airpods+wireles,aps,123

There are loads of adapters to add wireless charging for about £10. Its just a simple Qi coil that plugs into the lighting socket. Probably costs Apple $1 to add

Dobbie078

Oct 28, 2017
What are the chances we could get some noise canceling headphones(not beats) announcement during their show?

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I just bought a 2018 9.7" iPad (first iPad I've ever owned) in November and Monday's announcement has me considering replacing it for the new iPad Air. The A12 is significantly faster than the A10 and I play a lot of CivVI on my iPad. I can only imagine that the performance increase would be 100% worth it.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Wait a minute, does macOS "keep track" of moved files? I opened a file in powerpoint, closed it, moved it to another locale and just opened it again right through the "recent" menu. Being a years long Windows user I already prepped myself for an error message but it just worked. Just did it again to confirm and yep, it does update the path instantly.

Is this a system or MS Office thing? Because it definitely doesn't work in Windows MS Office.
Regardless, what a fantastic little feature.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Wait a minute, does macOS "keep track" of moved files? I opened a file in powerpoint, closed it, moved it to another locale and just opened it again right through the "recent" menu. Being a years long Windows user I already prepped myself for an error message but it just worked. Just did it again to confirm and yep, it does update the path instantly.

Is this a system or MS Office thing? Because it definitely doesn't work in Windows MS Office.
Regardless, what a fantastic little feature.
System, specifically HFS+ and APFS, thing.

Basically, each file and folder are given a unique number by the file system, so when you move it, the location changes, but the app can still find it by referencing the number.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
System, specifically HFS+ and APFS, thing.

Basically, each file and folder are given a unique number by the file system, so when you move it, the location changes, but the app can still find it by referencing the number.
Thanks for the clarification. Really, really nice.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey Siri on the AirPods is exactly what I'm looking for, as I find myself really needing it when listening to podcasts while washing the dishes

thebigcountry

Oct 28, 2017
Longer talk time is a nice upgrade. Phone calls obliterate my AirPods' battery.

And I imagine that if Apple does in-ear AirPods, they'll be placed under the Beats brand. Though Apple hasn't done anything new with Beats in quite a while other than new colorways?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Was hoping for a pair that came in black, alas.

Boo, I was hoping for a black option and a more grippy material before giving them a go. Might try out the Jabra Elite
I was hoping for better grip, black colour, better sound quality and possibly a shorter stem.

Yo, what's with the expectations of a black model?
Apple earphones have always been white, it's their iconic look.
Y'all are crazy if you're expecting black Apple earphones :P

What is Apple going to announce tomorrow?

6JThzai.jpg

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Yo, what's with the expectations of a black model?
Apple earphones have always been white, it's their iconic look.
Y'all are crazy if you're expecting black Apple earphones :P
They were rumoured pretty heavily from what I recall, which is why I took notice. I personally would prefer them to be a little more discrete (being still on the fence on the actual look of them).

At some point I need to drag out my EarpPods (if my daughter hasn't stolen them yet, she goes through the fucking things at an alarming rate) and spend some time with them to see if the AirPods will actually be a decent fit for me.

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could trade-in my old AirPods. I don't want the hassle of putting them up on eBay and I'm not really asking/hoping for much since one of them is very muffled.