• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Bluebot

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Apple won't have extendable screens until rollable screens are reliable, good quality, durable and don't increase the device size too much.

Foldable phones are a stopgap, and the current implementations poor at best. Nice gimmick, nice tech demo, but ultimately too impractical to replace normal smartphones. Not to mention the price, which allows you to buy the 10.5" Air, as well as a flagship phone of your choosing above base spec and still have money left for a set of wireless earphones.

What's the timeframe on rollable screens?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Apple won't have extendable screens until rollable screens are reliable, good quality, durable and don't increase the device size too much.

Foldable phones are a stopgap, and the current implementations poor at best. Nice gimmick, nice tech demo, but ultimately too impractical to replace normal smartphones. Not to mention the price, which allows you to buy the 10.5" Air, as well as a flagship phone of your choosing above base spec and still have money left for a set of wireless earphones.

The Issue with foldable phones is the amount of redundant / non-functionally-essential components - you need twice the "shell", possibly more cameras, a lot of wiring, magnets, hinges and whatnot just in service of the foldability.

And that is very anti Apple - theyre all about shaving off anything they deem "non essential"

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
2019 will be another double S generation with 2020 being the iPhone to get then.Too bad for me because I really want dual-SIM, and I'm just waiting for one of my providers to support eSIM.

I wonder how is relationship between Apple and Intel, knowing they Intel sucks at modems, sucks at graphics, and in the long run Apple wants to replace their CPUs as well.
I don't know if I'd argue that the move to 5G is what constitutes the bigger generational leap, honestly.

From what I know, the 5G rollout on all carriers is going to be slow as fuck (it's based on a really high number of shorter-range antennas, IIRC, so it'll be a lot more laborious to install the hardware even in population-dense areas).

But also, the iPhone 3G wasn't an enormous leap over the original iPhone as far as internals were concerned (certainly not as much as the 3GS), and the iPhone 5 (first iPhone with 4G LTE) was definitely not as big a leap as the iPhone 5S (with its jump to 64-bit processors and TouchID) in my opinion.

The pace of change in iPhones in general is definitely slowing down, though (outside of photography-oriented stuff and the recent shift to the FaceID/all-screen form factor). And I'm not saying 5G won't be an advance; just that the phones are probably *more* likely to advance in other respects when it isn't a carrier-network-type-upgrade year, IMO.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if I'd argue that the move to 5G is what constitutes the bigger generational leap, honestly.

From what I know, the 5G rollout on all carriers is going to be slow as fuck (it's based on a really high number of shorter-range antennas, IIRC, so it'll be a lot more laborious to install the hardware even in population-dense areas).

But also, the iPhone 3G wasn't an enormous leap over the original iPhone as far as internals were concerned (certainly not as much as the 3GS), and the iPhone 5 (first iPhone with 4G LTE) was definitely not as big a leap as the iPhone 5S (with its jump to 64-bit processors and TouchID) in my opinion.

The pace of change in iPhones in general is definitely slowing down, though (outside of photography-oriented stuff and the recent shift to the FaceID/all-screen form factor). And I'm not saying 5G won't be an advance; just that the phones are probably *more* likely to advance in other respects when it isn't a carrier-network-type-upgrade year, IMO.

FWIW, the rumors from the usual sources have the 2019 form factors matching those of 2018 but the 2020 iPhones having new screen sizes and designs. We're not likely to see another processor upgrade to rival the 32->64 bit transition, so 2020 will be the biggest change since the X (probably the biggest change in between mid-2017 and mid-2022, at least).

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
FWIW, the rumors from the usual sources have the 2019 form factors matching those of 2018 but the 2020 iPhones having new screen sizes and designs. We're not likely to see another processor upgrade to rival the 32->64 bit transition, so 2020 will be the biggest change since the X (probably the biggest change in between mid-2017 and mid-2022, at least).
True (and form factor changes *do* matter a bunch, especially as tech gets more and more invisible).

Outside of 5G and the usual speed upgrade stuff, I feel like the only major avenues for near-term iPhone improvement are battery life/charge speed stuff, camera improvements as usual, and ProMotion for the display (once OLED is there or once MicroLED actually becomes a thing). That third one is not likely to happen in 2019, so yeah, it's possible that a bunch of factors will align for 2020 to be a big upgrade (form factor + 5G + major display upgrade). I wouldn't be surprised, though, to see a lot of desirable improvements in the year *after* the first 5G iPhone (as it was with the 3GS, as it was with the 5S).

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes, that Gurman pic. Also wtf, how is such a tiny layer supposed to prevent the display from breaking the way it did for him?

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
A9 was a pretty big jump, and every one after that has been a decent jump too. And that's before getting into the GPU and other improvements in fixed function and machine learning bits being added on.

The processor upgrades have been fantastic, it's just that they got fast enough to the point where it doesn't really matter for most people. The software and plain common use cases haven't caught up to needing the hardware.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know if the mail app by Edison has a setting that can reduce push notifications? I'm getting a notification every single email that comes through at the moment it does and I feel like that's what is killing my battery.

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Anyone know if the mail app by Edison has a setting that can reduce push notifications? I'm getting a notification every single email that comes through at the moment it does and I feel like that's what is killing my battery.

Go to settings>notifications>advanced settings and select the mail account you want to chance notifications on. Try changing the setting from all mail to important mail and see if that helps.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
It definitely is without a doubt.. I wonder if this is just a small % of people that will have this issue come launch.

But then again it's a 1st gen product
I mean, let's say that they send out a hundred devices, which is a stretch, but possible. 4% failure rate, or even a 2% failure rate after a few days in-hand, that's eeesh.

Either way, if the consumer product has this kind of failure rates, that's just unacceptable.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely is without a doubt.. I wonder if this is just a small % of people that will have this issue come launch.

But then again it's a 1st gen product
One reviewer running into an issue would be a big deal. Multiple (4, i think?) is a disaster.

Remember how many people posted - 2 days after their reviews hit - that they had signal issues with the iPhone 6, or that their iPhone 6+ was bent? Zero. Because those were "-gates" that people didn't even notice during regular use.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I started a new job and they use a lot of Apple products. So, as part of my position, I received a 2017 MacBook Pro. Now I completely understand what everyone's been griping about in regards to these keys. The keyboard key design hasn't changed since, correct?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Somehow I'm still using the original butterfly keyboard in a 12" Macbook and it still works great. I guess it's ok to be lucky once in a while.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
How do I make it so when I listen to Apple Music on my PC/Mac I can continue from the same song at the same point from my iPad/iPhone?

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
How do I make it so when I listen to Apple Music on my PC/Mac I can continue from the same song at the same point from my iPad/iPhone?
You can't.

MIGHT happen with the new operating systems this summer, since macOS will have a Music app instead of iTunes (which should make Handoff possible).

(I hope Apple adds a web player to iCloud dot com, as well as an iMessages viewer, but I kinda doubt they will)

Last edited:

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You can't.

MIGHT happen with the new operating systems this summer, since macOS will have a Music app instead of iTunes (which should make Handoff possible).

(I hope Apple adds a web player to iCloud dot com, as well as an iMessages viewer, but I kinda doubt they will)

They're letting third parties make the web players so they don't have to

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, nice... on the other hand, Marzipan-exclusive advanced features 🤢🤢

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Any recommendations for USB-C charging cables? This puny short one that shipped with the iPad doesn't really cut it. The abhorrent reviews re: quality on the 45 € 2m USB-C cable by Apple are not exactly enticing. Any third party vendors that have better quality offers at a more reasonable price?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Any recommendations for USB-C charging cables? This puny short one that shipped with the iPad doesn't really cut it. The abhorrent reviews re: quality on the 45 € 2m USB-C cable by Apple are not exactly enticing. Any third party vendors that have better quality offers at a more reasonable price?

Not sure what's up with the reviews on the longer Apple cables but I love mine. All my 3rd party cables haven't been good from a fit perspective when I plug them in. Edit for clarity.. my 3rd party USB-C cables have fit really tight, and it made me feel like normal Apple cables would fit loose after using them.

Then again I've never had issues with Apple cables failing so take that into consideration.

Last edited:

timeforsana

Oct 26, 2017
Anker. I have a Native Union one as well which I use with my MBP, it's good but more expensive than Anker's.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone suggest me some games I can play in airplane mode while on a flight? Most games I play like Clash Royale or Clash of Clans I have to be connected. Even Candy Crash has limited use once I run out of lives, and I tire of changing the OS clock to get free lives.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone suggest me some games I can play in airplane mode while on a flight? Most games I play like Clash Royale or Clash of Clans I have to be connected. Even Candy Crash has limited use once I run out of lives, and I tire of changing the OS clock to get free lives.
Depends on what you wanna play I guess. The Altos Odyseey and Adventure games are simple and relaxing for example. You have Civilization if you got an iPad. Monster Hunter Freedom Unite if you're into that genre. Monument Valley 1 + 2 for artsy perspective puzzles. I don't do much iOS gaming so that about exhausts my recommendation list lol

Speaking about iOS gaming, i wonder if they got an Apple-made MFi controller or something in store given Apple Arcade?

Last edited:

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are ringtones and other tones still tied together when it comes to setting volume? I mean, I want to set my ringtone at 50% and my tones at 100% but this is still not possible? Why?

NeonBlack

Oct 25, 2017
I just switched from Spotify to Apple Music for the sound quality and I think I've made a horrible choice.

I can't seamlessly switch between my phone and Alexa devices.

Since I'm on Android I had to determine why they wouldn't let me download music. Installation error? No, Permissions that the app never prompts you for? Maybe. I had to switch my storage device to SD and then it auto switches back to device storage and works all the sudden.

And this white UI is killing my eyes.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Same.

But what I really want is the ability to do a lot more editing and library manipulating in the iOS Music app. If the macOS version doesn't let me do what iTunes does then there's no point in it. I don't listen to my music on my laptop. Only my iPhone. I use iTunes to do the playlist creating and editing because it's stupid to try and do on iOS. You can't even create smart playlists on iOS and they aren't live-updating. Nor can you change sort order. They just sync to the phone once in the order they're displayed in iTunes and never change unless you remove and recreate them. It's stupid how limited it is. And exactly why I don't care about a macOS version right now.

Also I want iTunes Match to update more often. It only updates once per day at some weird arbitrary time.

Oh and when I first signed up for iTunes Match, apparently iTunes reset some "last played" data in random songs in my library to weird really really old dates. Some as far back as 2007. I only noticed a few months ago when I was going through my library to find songs that my main playlist hasn't been playing*. Even though I had listened to those songs numerous times since 2007. Some songs even had dates that I know I didn't even listen to the song in. I don't understand how a bug like that even happens.

*Related to the above. I discovered that even though I have a playlist with like 2000 songs in it, Music only seems to play the same songs while very rarely choosing from the lesser played pool of songs. So I created a playlist full of songs that hadn't been played in a while, which is when I discovered the ones with the incorrect dates mentioned above, and started playing some songs from it. Now I'm back in my main playlist and it's suddenly playing those songs in its rotation. That's a really stupid algorithm. If I wanted to only listen to the same songs over and over I'd throw my phone away and put on the radio. If my playlist has 2000 songs, play all those songs.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what you wanna play I guess. The Altos Odyseey and Adventure games are simple and relaxing for example. You have Civilization if you got an iPad. Monster Hunter Freedom Unite if you're into that genre. Monument Valley 1 + 2 for artsy perspective puzzles. I don't do much iOS gaming so that about exhausts my recommendation list lol

Looks fun. Purchased.

Thanks!

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uhm i think this is very much possible ...

Instructions would be appreciated then.

ePne9zC.jpg

Where are the separate volume sliders in there?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Instructions would be appreciated then.
Where are the separate volume sliders in there?

If "Change with Buttons" is deactivated - like it is in your screenshot - the hardware volume buttons change system volume, the slider changes the ringtone.
At least that's how i understood it works.

edit: Oh, you mean "ringtones and other tones" as in "ringtones vs. text / email notifcations". I read it as "ringtones / alerts vs. media volume". My bad, i think! :(

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If "Change with Buttons" is deactivated - like it is in your screenshot - the hardware volume buttons change system volume, the slider changes the ringtone.
At least that's how i understood it works.

edit: Oh, you mean "ringtones and other tones" as in "ringtones vs. text / email notifcations". I read it as "ringtones / alerts vs. media volume". My bad, i think! :(

No problem. Yeah unfortunately even if you change to 'change with buttons' it still affects both. Annoying. I wonder if I can adjust the ringtone volume in iTunes seeing as it is a custom one.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Public Service Announcement: Best Buy has the 2018 iPad Pros on sale for a 1-day sale today only. The 64GB models are $150 off and all the other storage sizes are $200 off. This is the lowest price they have ever been.