• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok just bought a used iPhone 7 for 319€ and one year warranty. Time to retire my 6.

Can't fucking waiiiiiiiiit. iOS 13 here I come yeeeeeeesssss

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
The Plus version is better in terms of camera, battery and screen, but still a great choice. Miss my iPhone 7 using Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 ;(

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Plus version is better in terms of camera, battery and screen, but still a great choice. Miss my iPhone 7 using Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 ;(
I know but the plus was 100€ more and I can't afford that much. I just hope the camera is not too bad, because I'm not worried about performance (my 6 was pretty good running iOS 12)

If I was not planning some things in my life I could buy an XR or something, but I need a new phone and I can't afford much more. I hope it lasts 2 years.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Camera is great, but battery life, ugh, I remember my iPhone 7 dying just around 4 hours SOT. Often less.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Usually it's indexing behind the scenes that kills the battery so quickly after a new major update or a dev preview; it might not be a real indicator in a few days or the final build.

You're right, but I remember my iPhone 7 to be disappointing in terms of battery life even after giving it a factory reset. Had it from launch to April last year and heavily regretted not getting the Plus version. Still a great phone, but often died on me just past afternoon.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Go to settings and check your battery condition, how much % charge does it hold.

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Go to settings and check your battery condition, how much % charge does it hold.
Yeah, if it's too bad I'll return it. Oh man, now got me worried. I thought iOS 12 fixed some of the bad battery performance.

I was going to buy the Mi9 SE but today's conference made change my mind. Bittersweet feeling

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Xiaomi as much budget friendly it is, has nothing to do with premium feel of iPhone and iOS. As I wrote earlier, I bought Mi Mix 2 to replace my iPhone 7 and only benefits I see are the much bigger screen and better battery life. The rest is miles worse than the mythical yet real iPhone experience.

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but supposedly the camera is better and battery might be as well. I chose the iPhone because of iOS, that's it. I think hardware wise the Mi9 SE is better, I mean, it's more recent so it's expected.

If the battery performance is bad I'll just return it and get the MI9 SE.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
IDK my friend, Apple's A series chips are very advanced, hi tech pieces of silicon that demolish Snapdragons in singe core benchmark results. Combine this with Cupertino's approach of hardware build specific for software, the ease of use and flow of iOS and no amount of RAM and shit can reproduce such an experience on Android.

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's true but, On paper and overall speaking, i think the Mi9 SE might be better - screen, battery, camera. And it has fast charging.

A10 sounds good and iOS really knows how to behave giving us amazing performance.

But now the battery has got me worried haha

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Samsung TVs.

So Samsung TVs get 4K iTunes movies... but if you own a Mac from 2017 or earlier (apparently, no matter how spec'd out) then 1080p and tough shit for you. I'm mad bitter about this.

Is there some feature they're implementing that the earlier Macs don't have the hardware to support? Is there some T2 chip security feature involved with the 4K movies? (I know it's a stretch.)

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
I'd add Things.app for task management if you do GTD and IINA as a media player.

IINA is a godsend for me -- the Twitch web player is awful, but IINA can take that stream and play it via the hardware decoder.

Mio

Oct 16, 2018
Hello guys.

I'm forced to upgrade/replace my current iPhone. I was using an iPhone 6s plus for some years and I were quite satisfied by it.

Unfortunately I broke its screen for the second time, and I feel going through repairs again is not worth the price at this point.

I know the "wisest" thing would be to wait for the next line of phones that will hit this year (and we are so close to it), but I don't want to stay with a broken screen phone either, especially since I use it a lot everyday.

I'm thinking of purchasing the iPhone XS Max, and I'd like to know if there's any reasons why I shouldn't? (No money issue)

I like playing games on the phone a lot, so that would be my primary use.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hello guys.

I'm forced to upgrade/replace my current iPhone. I was using an iPhone 6s plus for some years and I were quite satisfied by it.

Unfortunately I broke its screen for the second time, and I feel going through repairs again is not worth the price at this point.

I know the "wisest" thing would be to wait for the next line of phones that will hit this year (and we are so close to it), but I don't want to stay with a broken screen phone either, especially since I use it a lot everyday.

I'm thinking of purchasing the iPhone XS Max, and I'd like to know if there's any reasons why I shouldn't? (No money issue)

New iPhones are about four months out. Not that close. If you're willing to spend the cash, like AMOLED screens and the size, the XS Max is a great choice.

Oct 27, 2017
Is there some feature they're implementing that the earlier Macs don't have the hardware to support? Is there some T2 chip security feature involved with the 4K movies? (I know it's a stretch.)
The iMac Pro (2017) has a T2 - in fact it was the first T2 Mac. The only reason I could see it being would be because of some native CPU encode / decode which I believe 2017 macs should still be able to do any way (and the the new Mac Pro wouldn't support anyway...), which leaves GPU decode and the only Mac with a beefier GPU than an iMP is the new MP.

I really want to hear their reasoning why the 2017 Macs don't get it as well. Hopefully the list gets updated but I'm not holding my breath in it and I'm pretty disappointed in them for excluding them.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
My guess is it's something to do with the Intel CPUs in the earlier Macs and some hardware-level DRM stuff that isn't on them, but I could be way off.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So thinking about it...... I may not need a Mac anymore? When I go to campus I just bring my iPad as it is, and with external storage support coming I can import photos and videos directly into the apps that I would want to edit them with. And my midi keyboard works natively now as well.

I was gonna grab either a Mac Pro or a Mac mini + eGPU and boot camp Windows onto it for the best of both worlds.... but if all of my wishes are satisfied by iOS 13, I could just build a straight Windows computer and not worry about the Mac.

This is a weird feeling.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
I've came to the same conclusion. Had a late 2015 13 inch MacBook Pro and I didn't use it in any way that wouldn't suit iPad Pro. If you mainly browse the web, consume media and from time to time do some light editing, the Pro is an overkill in terms of speed and power.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've came to the same conclusion. Had a late 2015 13 inch MacBook Pro and I didn't use it in any way that wouldn't suit iPad Pro. If you mainly browse the web, consume media and from time to time do some light editing, the Pro is an overkill in terms of speed and power.

Hell, I fully did a programming class through Pythonista. The abilities expand every day it seems like

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Over the years I've just been dropping almost every Mac 3rd party tool for a reason or another. Think I just keep Caffeine and SelfControl at this point.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to get rid of Gboard and stop sending Google information about the disgusting things I search for online.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Hello guys.

XS Max is an amazing phone, especially for games.

I played through all of The Witness and Kingdom Rush Vengeance (the newest one) and they were both absolutely gorgeous. The XS Max has legitimately the best screen I've ever used on probably any device.

I did end up selling mine in favor of an S10e, mainly for money reasons, but I also wasn't the biggest fan of Face ID.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Did Apple say anything about updates to Mail in MacOS Catalina?
Some minor updates but nothing big.

If they're gunning for something as feature-rich as the Gmail/Inbox/Spark/Sparrow/Outlook class of apps, it's not coming this year.

To be honest: I'd love to see Apple push snooze/smart snooze as an update to notifications and to make it available to developers as an API, *then* incorporate that into their Mail app. Being able to automatically have - for example - Twitter notifications not show up until you leave work? That'd be great. There are lots of notifications where I do want them coming through, but I don't necessarily want them coming through at certain times, and while DND is helpful for some of this, I think snoozing as an OS-level feature could actually be really helpful.

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
Few questions: How has everyone's experience been using the iPad Pro as a full stop replacement for a computer? Cumbersome, aggravating? Because I kinda wanna go in that direction. And what size did you pick up/ are you happy with it? Also, I'm liking what they're doing with Apple TV so I was considering picking one up, however Macrumors is stating not to buy. Is there a refresh on the horizon?

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Few questions: How has everyone's experience been using the iPad Pro as a full stop replacement for a computer? Cumbersome, aggravating? Because I kinda wanna go in that direction. And what size did you pick up/ are you happy with it? Also, I'm liking what they're doing with Apple TV so I was considering picking one up, however Macrumors is stating not to buy. Is there a refresh on the horizon?
An AppleTV refresh is not looking super likely imo - like the HomePod, it doesn't have a ton of jobs to do so its A8 chip is more than sufficient.

At most I think we'll see the AppleTV HD (A8 chip) retired and the AppleTV 4K (A10X chip) given a price cut.

I'd love to see the more ambitious Apple TV solution that apparently existed inside the organization and used voice and Kinect-style gestures for the interface but got shitcanned, but I don't think we're gonna see that happen anytime soon.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Is there an Amazon Echo Dot-like device where I can use Siri with my existing bookshelf speaker for music playback? I got impatient waiting for an Homepod release date way back when and just got some bookshelf speakers but I'm limited to Bluetooth with them which kinda stinks.

The lack of the response to this post makes me assume I'm SOL on such a request? Dang.

Alternatively if there was a way I could connect my turntable to a Homepod I'd probably go that route, but I know that's off the table for sure.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the market for a new portable laptop and decided to ask this here. I currently have a 2014 MB Pro retina which is sadly coming to the end of it's life. The screen has bad image retention issues and it has lost a lot of it's brightness. Also, it's become a bit sluggish to use. So after a bit of looking around the stores in Finland I've narrowed my options to either the 2017 MBP 13'' or the newer 2018 MB Air. Which one should I get? My usage would be only to browse the web, light photo editing in Photoshop, writing etc. The Pro's brighter screen is enticing since I love watching movies etc on my laptop in bed, but on the other hand the newer processor and Touch ID of the Air feel welcome additions. So yeah, what says Apple Era, which is better? The Air is on sale for 1199€ and the Pro is 1349€ currently. So not that big of a price difference.

uzipukki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds to me like the Macbook Air will be perfectly fine for your needs. I say take the money you would have put into the Pro and drop it into Applecare instead.
I'm leaning towards the Air too at this point. It seems the more "future proof" option. While the MBP would be really nice too, I guess there would be a refresh probably late this year I'd assume? And as the need for a new laptop is quite imminent, the more recent update seems like the logical step.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I'm leaning towards the Air too at this point. It seems the more "future proof" option. While the MBP would be really nice too, I guess there would be a refresh probably late this year I'd assume? And as the need for a new laptop is quite imminent, the more recent update seems like the logical step.

The Macbook Pro was just refreshed a few weeks back, so I dunno if it's due for another one this year. The Macbook Air was last refreshed in October, so I'd say it's probably about mid-cycle at the moment, but I can't imagine what they would really upgrade on 'em that would groundbreaking and worth waiting it out for, especially if you need something ASAP.

uzipukki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Macbook Pro was just refreshed a few weeks back, so I dunno if it's due for another one this year. The Macbook Air was last refreshed in October, so I'd say it's probably about mid-cycle at the moment, but I can't imagine what they would really upgrade on 'em that would groundbreaking and worth waiting it out for, especially if you need something ASAP.
Oh, I thought it was just the Touch Bar model that got a refresh and that Apple would refresh the lowly Function key model this year but that doesn't seem to be the case? I've been so out of the loop on Mac stuff since I haven't needed a new one in ages.

uzipukki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'know, you're absolutely right, and I apologize for the misinformation.
Like I'm guessing the only thing they refresh is an 8th gen CPU (still probably a dual core) and maybe the T2 chip and Touch ID, all of which are on the Air at the moment so yeah. Think I'm gonna walk into the store and walk out with a Air in hand tomorrow then.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I'm personally eyeballing the 12" MacBook. I love how tiny it is but it hasn't really seen an update since 2017 and I'm using a 2016 MBP as it is, so it's be silly to upgrade now. Maybe next year we'll get some new hardware and I'll talk myself into spending money that I don't really need to be spending.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
IMG_20190604_194121.jpg

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Ugh, just rubbing salt in that wound. Wish I could use my Wii U Pro Controller or heck, I'd even spring for a Switch Pro Controller if I could use that, but there's no reason for me to buy a XBO or PS4 controller only for use with my Mac and Apple TV, as it'd get used so infrequently.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ugh, just rubbing salt in that wound. Wish I could use my Wii U Pro Controller or heck, I'd even spring for a Switch Pro Controller if I could use that, but there's no reason for me to buy a XBO or PS4 controller only for use with my Mac and Apple TV, as it'd get used so infrequently.
You can get a DS4 to work with the Switch with a little adapter, so it might be a good possibility as you can find them a good chunk cheaper than the Switch Pro controller anyway, and it would allow for that kind of flexibility to work with a lot of devices.