• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Get a 2015-era model with a dedicated GPU. They work reasonably well in Bootcamp, and will be able to handle many macOS games, and you won't be stuck with a keyboard that'll self-destruct in less than a year.
Wow they are still expansive? But that's probably run for the course for Apple products. Any specific model I should look out for? Used/refurbed descriptions in the shops do not make it clear which have a dedicated GPU.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow they are still expansive? But that's probably run for the course for Apple products. Any specific model I should look out for? Used/refurbed descriptions in the shops do not make it clear which have a dedicated GPU.

The 2015 models with dedicated GPUs had an AMD Radeon R9 M370x, so that's what you'd want to look for. That said, honestly, it's a pretty bad gaming GPU these days. What games in particular would you be looking to play?

Frankly I also just don't think it's worth it to spend any significant amount of money on a 2015 Mac at this point. We're talking a four year old laptop with a six year old processor, a sub-Xbox One caliber GPU at best, etc. Mac die-hards who hate the new design will swear by them until Apple makes a new MacBook that satisfies them, but I couldn't recommend it to average users. If you really don't want a new model and you can't find a really good deal on an older one, either wait for a redesign or look elsewhere.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'm going to have to set up a custom shortcut for the widget draw of Notification Center. I'll have my calculator there, at least. But no translation, unit conversion, or more useful weather display will stink.

do you just use the stock weather widget?

Because the weather widget in Notification Center is ok I find. You can click your location and it gives you an extended forecast.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
The 2015 models with dedicated GPUs had an AMD Radeon R9 M370x, so that's what you'd want to look for. That said, honestly, it's a pretty bad gaming GPU these days. What games in particular would you be looking to play?

Frankly I also just don't think it's worth it to spend any significant amount of money on a 2015 Mac at this point. We're talking a four year old laptop with a six year old processor, a sub-Xbox One caliber GPU at best, etc. Mac die-hards who hate the new design will swear by them until Apple makes a new MacBook that satisfies them, but I couldn't recommend it to average users. If you really don't want a new model and you can't find a really good deal on an older one, either wait for a redesign or look elsewhere.
Seems like good advice, thanks!
As for games nothing spectacular, I guess Destiny 2 would be the most demanding game I would like to play from time to time, but that would already be an outlier. Strategy games like Civ or some indie games would be fine enough.

Last edited:

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Apple would hurry up and give a date for the other colours for the Powerbeats. Summer is so vaguely annoying considering we're already in summer!

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada
Seems like good advice, thanks!
As for games nothing spectacular, I guess Destiny 2 would be the most demanding game I would like to play from time to time, but that would already be an outlier. Strategy games like Civ or some indie games would be fine enough.

Is an eGPU an option? Seems to be working fine with my Mini and Win10 except Windows does not like having a monitor also plugged into the built-in HDMI while the eGPU is connected so I don't know if the laptop would confuse it or not.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wish Apple would hurry up and give a date for the other colours for the Powerbeats. Summer is so vaguely annoying considering we're already in summer!
Companies almost always mean calendar seasons, or whatever technically gives them more time. So June 21st to September 21st!

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Coming from a old iPad 3, using a new 9.7 iPad is absolutly insane and feels like a realy new way to use a tablet. So many interesting new features.
And opting for a iPad with 128GB was absolutly the right idea. Carrying so much data around is great. And I cant stop to use Splitview, such a great feature.
Really excited for iPad OS now. I am already looking for Bluetooth mouses and thinking about getting some kind of Smart folio.
Have you watched a demo of the mouse function? It's not quite as natural as using a mouse in macOS/Windows, because you interact with the OS as if your mouse pointer is your finger (like clicking and swiping the mouse up to scroll).

Edit: I previously mentioned mouse support was USB only but I stand corrected! It is apparently both Bluetooth and USB.

Last edited:

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I just noticed that iOS 13 still has no video quality switch in the camera app and it has ruined my day

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Ca you manually connect AirPods to another device (my wife's iPhone) without removing them from my own account? Want to let her try them before buying some for her

Sabas

Oct 25, 2017
With the series 4 watches on sale, decided to pick up an Apple Watch. It'll be my first apple watch, so is there anything I should know going in? (tips/tricks, uncommon stuff people don't know about, etc)

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I'm going to return my iPhone 7 tomorrow. How much better is the Plus version battery wise?

I had an iPhone 6 Plus and it was a battery champ! I can only imagine the 7 is better.

I have not had a Plus sized phone since, I downsized the to the iPhone 7 and then went to the X which is the perfect size for myself.

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had an iPhone 6 Plus and it was a battery champ! I can only imagine the 7 is better.

I have not had a Plus sized phone since, I downsized the to the iPhone 7 and then went to the X which is the perfect size for myself.
I just hope it's better than the 7. Because this might be the worst phone I ever had in the battery department.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I thought iTunes automatically upgraded HD versions of films that you own to 4K. My Mission Impossible films have not done that. Do I need a Apple TV 4K for it to upgrade?

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
If they were purchased from iTunes or redeemed from a code directly on iTunes then they should have.
I'm not sure on the second part — if you redeemed it from a digital copy code, I don't think those upgrade unless you had bought a 4K disc (and even then, I'm not sure). DVDs and Blu-Rays just get HD, no upgrade.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I'm not sure on the second part — if you redeemed it from a digital copy code, I don't think those upgrade unless you had bought a 4K disc (and even then, I'm not sure). DVDs and Blu-Rays just get HD, no upgrade.
Redeeming the code on iTunes is the same (99% of cases) as purchasing.
Doesn't matter if the code was HD or 4K.

It's only HD codes that were ported via MoviesAnywhere that wouldn't upgrade.

This is all assuming a 4K version of the movie exists on iTunes.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
I saw a few places have Apple Watches like $50 off so I've been thinking about ordering one tomorrow.

Going to see how big the 44mm looks on my tiny wrist at the store tomorrow and then order it on Amazon since I have a few gift cards. It's crazy to me Amazon sells them. Lol. I thought they didn't stock any Apple stuff.

Not sure how useful it'll be since I just want the GPS one but I'd like to try the health stuff out since I should probably start getting more active.

Most likely going to just go with the 44mm GPS with the sport band since it seems more comfortable.

I'm not sure if I should just wait 3 months for the new one but whatever.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Redeeming the code on iTunes is the same (99% of cases) as purchasing.
Doesn't matter if the code was HD or 4K.

It's only HD codes that were ported via MoviesAnywhere that wouldn't upgrade.

This is all assuming a 4K version of the movie exists on iTunes.
It's just strange that it won't show the movie as 4K on iTunes (MacBook Pro), but will on an iPhone. It's a weird choice to not allow the MacBook Pros to stream 4K content through iTunes.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
It's just strange that it won't show the movie as 4K on iTunes (MacBook Pro), but will on an iPhone. It's a weird choice to not allow the MacBook Pros to stream 4K content through iTunes.
It doesn't really stream the 4K version on your phone either, but I thought it'd at least show the icon.

You can only stream them via AppleTV (or the future AppleTV app for certain TVs)
Edit: and iPad Pros connected to compatible display

Last edited:

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't really stream the 4K version on your phone either, but I thought it'd at least show the icon.
I knew that about the phone, it just seems odd that I can't on my laptop when I have it hooked up to a 4K screen. And really, all I want to know on iTunes is if I own a 4K movie without having to individually go to their store pages where it tells me.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I've been pretty disappointed with the series 4 44mm battery life so far. It loses more battery over night than my year old Series 2 (I use the watch for sleep tracking) and with its near fresh battery the series 4 usually ends up at 50% (Series 2 was about 35, sometimes 20ish). Dunno how people come up with their stories of 3-day battery life. I don't use cellular fwiw.

Not that is bad or anything, I just expected more for a two generational leap

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Honestly I've been pretty disappointed with the series 4 44mm battery life so far. It loses more battery over night than my year old Series 2 (I use the watch for sleep tracking) and with its near fresh battery the series 4 usually ends up at 50% (Series 2 was about 35, sometimes 20ish). Dunno how people come up with their stories of 3-day battery life. I don't use cellular fwiw.

Not that is bad or anything, I just expected more for a two generational leap
Yeah, the overnight battery loss sucks. Is there a way to slow that without having to charge it overnight? I want to wear it when I sleep because I like how the alarm wakes me up.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the overnight battery loss sucks. Is there a way to slow that without having to charge it overnight? I want to wear it when I sleep because I like how the alarm wakes me up.
I mean, I put mine in theater and airplane mode, always have. I don't think there's anything else to stop the battery drain. I really wonder what the series 4 is doing that's causing more drain than on the series 2 though. I guess it might take more heart rate samples or something.

Johnny Ryall

Oct 28, 2017
Got an iPad Air 3 as a payday treat at the start of the month and it's now my most used computer. It's a perfect consumption device. I LOVE the battery life. I sit it on the coffee table playing videos while I play gta on the tv and it just goes and goes. I get that's due to it having a large battery and being Wi-fi only but does that sort of battery life happen on the iPhone too? I'm on a galaxy S9+ now and the battery life is fine if unremarkable.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
So I just started using ATOM as my text editor (why didn't I use this five years ago? I don't know.j

And I installed the pdf-view package (https://atom.io/packages/pdf-view). I always try to read everything in dark mode on MacOS these days... can't wait for dark mode on iOS13.

But I could never find a good PDF viewer for doing dark mode color inversion on MacOS. I looked around quite a bit when Mac first got dark mode.

How is it that the best PDF viewer for inverted colors on MacOS is a package written by one person who did it because they wanted to have a PDF viewer for for a hackable open source text editor?

Kimchi_Breath

Oct 25, 2017
I saw a few places have Apple Watches like $50 off so I've been thinking about ordering one tomorrow.

Going to see how big the 44mm looks on my tiny wrist at the store tomorrow and then order it on Amazon since I have a few gift cards. It's crazy to me Amazon sells them. Lol. I thought they didn't stock any Apple stuff.

Not sure how useful it'll be since I just want the GPS one but I'd like to try the health stuff out since I should probably start getting more active.

Most likely going to just go with the 44mm GPS with the sport band since it seems more comfortable.

I'm not sure if I should just wait 3 months for the new one but whatever.
Personally, I'd wait the 3 months for the new models. If you're not interested in the new models, you'll probably be able to find a better price for a Series 4.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Why does firefox run so bad on mac? I really want to use it more, but when watching a twitch stream makes my macbook pass 80°C, I end up using safari which I really don't like as much. Kinda sucks.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Never had issues on Firefox on my MBP 2015. What extensions are you using?

I don't even use extensions. Even when I had my work computer, a 2016 mpb it would have a similar result, and it would be using all my cpu. After updates firefox is better, but on my older 2011 mbp, it gets hot just browsing the internet. Safari will run 5-10°C cooler doing the same tasks. I don't use chrome enough on that computer to compare it though.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I don't even use extensions. Even when I had my work computer, a 2016 mpb it would have a similar result, and it would be using all my cpu. After updates firefox is better, but on my older 2011 mbp, it gets hot just browsing the internet. Safari will run 5-10°C cooler doing the same tasks. I don't use chrome enough on that computer to compare it though.
Chrome runs worse than Firefox. I don't think Firefox is particularly bad, it's just that Apple has optimised the hell out of Safari.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I only use Firefox for downloading web videos so I'm still on 56. Which was fine for a while. I just kept it from updating But somehow Mozilla fucked extensions up a few weeks ago even on older unupdated browsers so TabMixPlus doesn't work anymore. So I might as well just update to whatever the new Firefox version is. I just need DownloadHelper and I think it works there now. But I'd rather it have stayed how I had it with TMP still working. I need my multiple tab rows in Firefox. I can't believe Mozilla was able to fuck up extension support without even updating the browser. WTF?

Safari is just so much nicer on macOS ever since Apple started caring about it a while ago.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Got my Powerbeats Pro for Father's Day today and I'm impressed so far. They fit snugly with the standard tips (I'll try the other sizes at some point to see if they improve the seal) and feel like they're going to be easy to wear for a while without any kind of discomfort.

Also surprised that the bass isn't super heavy, I was lead to believe it was overpowering but I don't find that to be the case at all.

enanogrande

Oct 30, 2017
Anybody use Spark as their email client? How do you like it on iOS? On MacOS?

I use it in both iOS and Mac for my business mail. (Use Airmail for personal mail on both platforms as well).

I like it tbh, pretty good and customizable, fast as well. Can't really think of anything else to mention off the top of my head, but I'm glad to answer any other specific doubts you might have.

I will say however that I don't use any of the snooze/etc. options on any of my mail clients, I'm pretty good about dealing with things just using the star/flag option.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
I use it in both iOS and Mac for my business mail. (Use Airmail for personal mail on both platforms as well).

I like it tbh, pretty good and customizable, fast as well. Can't really think of anything else to mention off the top of my head, but I'm glad to answer any other specific doubts you might have.

I will say however that I don't use any of the snooze/etc. options on any of my mail clients, I'm pretty good about dealing with things just using the star/flag option.

How does spark compare to Airmail? Airmail 3 is $27 on Mac and $5 on iOS and Spark is free on all platforms.

I mainly like spark has full dark mode on MacOS, presumably they will add a full dark mode to the iOS version in the fall, (1) compose now and send the email at a specified time later, (2) snooze email and look at it at a specified time later, (3) splitting into categories in your inbox.

And it seems to sync all my preference changes across devices which is cool.

I have a gmail account as my backend main email where I forward everything (both work and personal email).

I even tried Outlook and I have a O365 account through work but Outlook won't let you send later on my personal gmail account. Someone on the MacOS App they restrict the sending later functionality to your O365 email or prevent it from working with gmail...

...Thanks!

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
Airmail on Mac is my favorite mail client. Like the UI and it feels nice. I find it worth every penny imo.

With regards to IOS apps other then Mail, they all suck at supporting Gmail labels. The apps won't show new messages in a label folder unless you open the folder and refresh it. The default mail app has no issues with this but pretty much all the other mails blow at this. So if you are invested in the Gmail/G-Suite eco system and rely on labels to manage your messages you will find it rough going. Airmail has an option to refresh labels but only if you are on WiFi and connected to a power source smh.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Airmail on Mac is my favorite mail client. Like the UI and it feels nice. I find it worth every penny imo.

With regards to IOS apps other then Mail, they all suck at supporting Gmail labels. The apps won't show new messages in a label folder unless you open the folder and refresh it. The default mail app has no issues with this but pretty much all the other mails blow at this. So if you are invested in the Gmail/G-Suite eco system and rely on labels to manage your messages you will find it rough going. Airmail has an option to refresh labels but only if you are on WiFi and connected to a power source smh.

I don't use labels at all. I try not to do anything to my mail other than read it and respond to it as quickly as possible. Don't spend any time "labeling it".