• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Was really, really hoping my 2015 Retina would be part of this battery recall. Unfortunately when I enter the Serial # it says
  • It's not in the affected serial number range.
  • Our records show that your device has already been serviced as part of this Program.
Really would have dug a new battery on Apple, even if it took 1-2 weeks. I am dreading the day this thing dies.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
The only official cases I would consider would be the battery cases as they offer something third party ones can't. Apple's cases are otherwise way overpriced.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any real difference between haptic touch (like on the XS) and 3D touch (like on the 8)? I was playing around with them today. I think I like the 3D touch one better (if I have the right terms), but they seem pretty similar.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there any real difference between haptic touch (like on the XS) and 3D touch (like on the 8)? I was playing around with them today. I think I like the 3D touch one better (if I have the right terms), but they seem pretty similar.

The Xs and 8 both have 3D touch. The Xr has haptic touch, which is a bit more limited (time-based instead of pressure-based, some previewing features unavailable).

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
The Xs and 8 both have 3D touch. The Xr has haptic touch, which is a bit more limited (time-based instead of pressure-based, some previewing features unavailable).
Ahhh, okay. Thanks. I didn't like how the Xr did it, makes sense now what was going on.

If Apple still sold refurb 8 or 8 Plus 64GB models I'd be tempted...

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
90% of the 3D Touch actions are coming to the XR/iPad in iOS 13 anyway. It's fine if they kill it as long as they retain the functionality, which they are.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I hope we at least get some other functionality in return and it isn't just some cost-cutting measure ... doesn't seem like we're getting mLED or other new display tech that could interfere with it on iPhones any time soon, so I'm not sure what's the benefit for the user here. Phones sure as hell won't get less expensive because of it. Also, as is, the whole 3D-Touch-esque actions on iPad on iOS 13 are one huge mess in every view that supports more than just dragging, i.e. home screen and Files.app.

On an unrelated note, I'm kinda pumped for the "AR" back camera that is supposed to happen on the 2020 iPhone. Not exactly sure what's the deal with the rumored screen sizes. I really don't want a smaller X, I sure as heck don't want an even larger X max design and I'm not interested in the Xr line. Though maybe it's just X and X max displays getting bigger with the smaller one becoming the less expensive model.

Last edited:

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, for the first time in my life the "reset the PRAM" thing actually fixed a problem.

In the office, my retina MacBook Pro's thunderbolt -> ethernet adapter wouldn't connect to the network anymore - only said "cable disconnected". So i figured it's either the cable or the adapter. I tried the cable that runs to my Desktop PC, didn't work. So i bought another adapter (for € 35....) and that one didn't work either.

It couldn't be the port, as there are two thunderbolt ports - neither worked.

I had rebooted multiple times before, but as a final shot (before accepting that the thunderbolt ports' electronics had to be fried or something) i tried the 'Reset your PRAM' combo; holding Cmd+Option+P+R during boot-up ... and it worked!

... not i have a spare thunderbolt->ethernet adapter. yay.

Theef

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I need an apple watch and a new macbook pro but I know new ones are coming soon ugg

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Great job dissuading me. iPad Pro ordered. 11" / 256GB. Didn't go for cellular this time. I figured pairing my phone would be enough.

Hmmm, for the first time in my life the "reset the PRAM" thing actually fixed a problem.
It's funny, and sad, because it's true. I hate how this is always the first and it never fixes anything for me.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Great job dissuading me. iPad Pro ordered. 11" / 256GB. Didn't go for cellular this time. I figured pairing my phone would be enough.

It's funny, and sad, because it's true. I hate how this is always the first and it never fixes anything for me.
It's the Apple equivalent of "have you updated your BIOS and are you running the latest drivers?"

I always get the cellular iPad so i can just pop in a local SIM when i'm traveling and use it as a mobile hotspot.
Funnily, during my last trip abroad, the sales rep in the mobile store gave me a SIM that wouldn't work on the iPad but only in my phone. (which i didn't notice until later that night)
Now, i had some doubts about putting a 'different' SIM into my phone, because i was afraid it would fuck with iMessage, Facetime or whatever ... but the experience was so super seamless; and it was waaaay more convenient not having to connect to the hotspot on the iPad in my backpack whenever i just wanna use google maps. So i might just opt for WiFi only the next time around ...

... nah, whom am i kidding. Cellular all the way :( :(
Also, i can't wait for our local carriers to support eSim, so i can just pop in a physical SIM as my 'travel' data plan wherever i go.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Travelling with iPad Pro? Like in the backpack? I would be scared to death, this thing (at least the 2018 versions) bends like crazy. It has no structural integrity whatsoever.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I'm positive new watch and new macbook pros all within a year, not a fan of refurbished tech.

Apple refurbished stuff are quite good actually.

It makes it noticeably heavier but it's comfortable to hold, not slippery (iPhone 7). Nice to have an old phone that goes for more than one day on a single charge.

Been thinking about getting one for the XS so I can completely forget about charging for 2-3 days.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The structural integrity is making me look for a sleeve with some kind of backbone.
That's another reason I'm going with the brydge keyboard tbh, as I assume it will reinforce it.

It's the Apple equivalent of "have you updated your BIOS and are you running the latest drivers?"

I always get the cellular iPad so i can just pop in a local SIM when i'm traveling and use it as a mobile hotspot.
Funnily, during my last trip abroad, the sales rep in the mobile store gave me a SIM that wouldn't work on the iPad but only in my phone. (which i didn't notice until later that night)
Now, i had some doubts about putting a 'different' SIM into my phone, because i was afraid it would fuck with iMessage, Facetime or whatever ... but the experience was so super seamless; and it was waaaay more convenient not having to connect to the hotspot on the iPad in my backpack whenever i just wanna use google maps. So i might just opt for WiFi only the next time around ...

... nah, whom am i kidding. Cellular all the way :( :(
Also, i can't wait for our local carriers to support eSim, so i can just pop in a physical SIM as my 'travel' data plan wherever i go.
To be honest, my original Air is cellular and looking back, there have been few cases over the years where I didn't have my iPhone handy and charged. Hence the choice, but I agonized over it tbh, because cellular is a pretty comfortable option.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
You should get refurbished.
uploads%252Fstory%252Fthumbnail%252F97700%252F9225d631-b033-481e-9ae3-cc3e486caad5.png%252F950x534.png

"You're all refurbished!"

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless I have zero interest. No need to continue suggesting refurbished.
I got a refurbished MacBook Pro from Apple and everything about it looked and felt brand new. Saved around £350-400 iirc and you'd totally think it was brand new if you didn't already know it was refurbished.

Dunno why you'd be so dismissive of buying refurbished.

Bluebot

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Was really, really hoping my 2015 Retina would be part of this battery recall. Unfortunately when I enter the Serial # it says
  • It's not in the affected serial number range.
  • Our records show that your device has already been serviced as part of this Program.
Really would have dug a new battery on Apple, even if it took 1-2 weeks. I am dreading the day this thing dies.

You could call in and ask for clarification since that second bullet point is unclear and suggests an error.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The structural integrity is making me look for a sleeve with some kind of backbone.
That's another reason I'm going with the brydge keyboard tbh, as I assume it will reinforce it.

To be honest, my original Air is cellular and looking back, there have been few cases over the years where I didn't have my iPhone handy and charged. Hence the choice, but I agonized over it tbh, because cellular is a pretty comfortable option.

The only case really is if you're travelling and use your phone as a hotspot - the iPad sees it as Wi-Fi so goes balls out on data. iOS needs a metered connection option or at least a 'treat an iOS hotspot as a cellular connection' option

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
I just recently ordered a Homepod that was on sale and I always wanted a smart speaker with voice commands.

Not it appears that Spotify (which I've been using since its launch) isn't that well integrated (or at all). Now I've started my three month trial for Apple Music but I find it to be very barebones... Does it get better over time, once it learns what I like? Are there daily playlists, yearly reviews and exploration features as in Spotify?

At the moment it looks like it's just a subscription-based archive app with no "smart" features whatsoever. Am I missing something? This would render the Homepod pretty usless I guess.

Any advice for Homepod/Apple Music newbies?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I just recently ordered a Homepod that was on sale and I always wanted a smart speaker with voice commands.

Not it appears that Spotify (which I've been using since its launch) isn't that well integrated (or at all). Now I've started my three month trial for Apple Music but I find it to be very barebones... Does it get better over time, once it learns what I like? Are there daily playlists, yearly reviews and exploration features as in Spotify?

At the moment it looks like it's just a subscription-based archive app with no "smart" features whatsoever. Am I missing something? This would render the Homepod pretty usless I guess.

Hmmm, do you find the 'discover' tab in the app to be lackluster?

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

After a week or so it'll start generating mixes for you, it takes a hot second to learn what you actually like

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, do you find the 'discover' tab in the app to be lackluster?

Do you mean the 'For You' tab at the bottom?
It looks like this is being generated based on these bubbles I had to select/add. Is there a way to remove one of the genres I (accidentally) chose?

I'll definitely give it more time but it's very different from Spotify.

After a week or so it'll start generating mixes for you, it takes a hot second to learn what you actually like

That's what I thought. I'll give it a try.

Thanks for your inputs!

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Do you mean the 'For You' tab at the bottom?
It looks like this is being generated based on these bubbles I had to select/add. Is there a way to remove one of the genres I (accidentally) chose?

I'll definitely give it more time but it's very different from Spotify.

There's "📚Library" - which is your playlists, your downloaded music, whatever you "+"ed basically.
There's "❤️For You" - which is your recently played and some suggested playlists and artists based on your listening habits
There's "🎵Discover" - Which is curated playlists, like the new hot shit, party mixes, charts, etc.
There's "🌀Radio" - Which is Beats 1and genre radio channels
and then there's "🔍Search" - which is self explanatory

So basically, Discover is for discovering new music (new as in: recently released, or at least not based on your listening habits) and For You, which is recommended stuff based on your listening habits.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
Is there an ios13 bets thread? If not, does anyone know a way to add other devices to find my? Sometimes I need to do a find my iPhone search for my son's device. I used to just stay logged in to find my iPhone under his iCloud account but now that it's combined with find my friends i don't know how to do that.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Is there an ios13 bets thread? If not, does anyone know a way to add other devices to find my? Sometimes I need to do a find my iPhone search for my son's device. I used to just stay logged in to find my iPhone under his iCloud account but now that it's combined with find my friends i don't know how to do that.

logging into icloud.com with his AppleID and finding his iPhone doesn't work anymore?

hmmm, if you wanna find your son's phone via the 'friends' thing, he must share his location with you.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
How about adding his Apple ID to your family? That way you always have his devices in Find My

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
There's "📚Library" - which is your playlists, your downloaded music, whatever you "+"ed basically.
There's "❤For You" - which is your recently played and some suggested playlists and artists based on your listening habits
There's "🎵Discover" - Which is curated playlists, like the new hot shit, party mixes, charts, etc.
There's "🌀Radio" - Which is Beats 1and genre radio channels
and then there's "🔍Search" - which is self explanatory

So basically, Discover is for discovering new music (new as in: recently released, or at least not based on your listening habits) and For You, which is recommended stuff based on your listening habits.
Thank you! Very helpful.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I just started a "family" and added my mom and adult cousin. I can't believe payments are all tied to a single payment method (ie: mine). My mother and cousin can't make their own purchases unless they buy iTunes credit or something.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I just started a "family" and added my mom and adult cousin. I can't believe payments are all tied to a single payment method (ie: mine). My mother and cousin can't make his own purchases unless he buys iTunes credit or something.
Yeah, it's really dumb. I just wanna share my AppleMusic plan with my girlfriend without having to be the 'daddy' who pays all the app purchases.
She barely purchases apps, though, and i always buy iTunes cards when they're 15% off, so i'm swimming in app store credit anyways. Still, it's weird that Apple considers a family to always be a 'one-income' household :P

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just started a "family" and added my mom and adult cousin. I can't believe payments are all tied to a single payment method (ie: mine). My mother and cousin can't make their own purchases unless they buy iTunes credit or something.
Yeah, tying sharing and payment is super annoying.
I guess they put that in place so you wouldn't share media content with adults you aren't super close to, like a spouse. But still.