• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Create? I always thought that iCloud email and Apple ID are tied together. You can't have one without the other.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Create? I always thought that iCloud email and Apple ID are tied together. You can't have one without the other.

Here's the absurd thing.. If you originally created an Apple ID using a 3rd party e-mail address, then you can NEVER decide at a later date to make it an iCloud address.

My old university e-mail address was my Apple ID. At some point I get a Mobile Me account, then later iCloud. My university address (which I still had as alumni) goes away, so I asked Apple to let me change it to my iCloud e-mail. Nope, it cannot be done. The second an iCloud address is made it IS an Apple ID (albeit with no content) and two Apple ID's cannot be merged. They instructed me to go create a Gmail account to be my replacement Apple ID.

Imagine instructing a customer to go use a competitor's product because of your infrastructure deficiencies when you have Apple's resources.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
If you mainly consume content on your device, then go for it. Just consider getting the bigger, 12.9 inch model.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Here's the absurd thing.. If you originally created an Apple ID using a 3rd party e-mail address, then you can NEVER decide at a later date to make it an iCloud address.

My old university e-mail address was my Apple ID. At some point I get a Mobile Me account, then later iCloud. My university address (which I still had as alumni) goes away, so I asked Apple to let me change it to my iCloud e-mail. Nope, it cannot be done. The second an iCloud address is made it IS an Apple ID (albeit with no content) and two Apple ID's cannot be merged. They instructed me to go create a Gmail account to be my replacement Apple ID.

Imagine instructing a customer to go use a competitor's product because of your infrastructure deficiencies when you have Apple's resources.

Are they separate accounts? Because I did the thing in iOS 9 where they had you make an iCloud email to sync the new Notes stuff and add it to your existing Apple ID, and then I later changed my Apple ID to be that @icloud email address. But they were never separate accounts, the iCloud address was always grafted onto my already existing account

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Just remember that multitasking, creating digital art etc. is much more convenient with a larger screen. Plus I've read that the Smart Folio Keyboard for the 12.9 inch model offers a better typing experience.

Last edited:

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Are they separate accounts? Because I did the thing in iOS 9 where they had you make an iCloud email to sync the new Notes stuff and add it to your existing Apple ID, and then I later changed my Apple ID to be that @icloud email address. But they were never separate accounts, the iCloud address was always grafted onto my already existing account

I'm not sure I understand your question exactly, but my iTunes content was always grafted to university e-mail (because it simply predated the rest of the ecosystem) while my iCloud stuff was totally separate. I would have to log into my "store" stuff using the university account, and to iCloud separately for everything else.

So university account goes away and I asked Apple to make my existing iCloud address do everything. Nope. Ok then let me create a new iCloud address for that. Nope. They forced me to stay 3rd party for the iTunes/App Store stuff so now it's Gmail. Feels bad.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

uhm, wait a second.

I originally set up my AppleID with my ISP email, say "[email protected]" - that was around iOS ... uhm ... well, iPhone OS 1.0
Now, that email account, over time, got so much spam so i migrated pretty much everything to my iCloud email - that includes my AppleID.

I had no issues doing that whatsoever.

Isn't that exactly what you were trying to do?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
uhm, wait a second.

I originally set up my AppleID with my ISP email, say "[email protected]" - that was around iOS ... uhm ... well, iPhone OS 1.0
Now, that email account, over time, got so much spam so i migrated pretty much everything to my iCloud email - that includes my AppleID.

I had no issues doing that whatsoever.

Isn't that exactly what you were trying to do?

Yeah I don't know how you did it. My case was escalated several times to senior advisers.

They said my iCloud address was already an Apple ID and there's no way to merge two Apple ID's.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure I understand your question exactly, but my iTunes content was always grafted to university e-mail (because it simply predated the rest of the ecosystem) while my iCloud stuff was totally separate. I would have to log into my "store" stuff using the university account, and to iCloud separately for everything else.

So university account goes away and I asked Apple to make my existing iCloud address do everything. Nope. Ok then let me create a new iCloud address for that. Nope. They forced me to stay 3rd party for the iTunes/App Store stuff so now it's Gmail. Feels bad.

Ah, yeah, I swear you and I have had this exact same conversation.

Yes, you have two entirely separate Apple IDs: one with your third party email and one with an iCloud email. Those cannot be merged.

Around the time of iOS 9 anyone who used the new Notes syncing had to make an iCloud email address, but they just added it as part of your existing Apple ID, they didn't make it a new one. That's where my confusion came in. So for a while I had an @gmail.com Apple ID with an @iCloud.com email as an alternate contact. It was always one account, not two.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't know how you did it. My case was escalated several times to senior advisers.

They said my iCloud address was already an Apple ID and there's no way to merge two Apple ID's.

Well, your case is super weird, but the picture you painted "if you ever signed up with a 3rd party email adress you can NEVER change it to an iCloud adress" is simply not true. That's very much a documented - and ridiculously easy - process.

So what could be the issue in your case is you (unintentionally) at one point not 'activating' the iCloud / me.com mailbox within your AppleID, but creating a separate AppleID in that process.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, yeah, I swear you and I have had this exact same conversation.

Yes, you have two entirely separate Apple IDs: one with your third party email and one with an iCloud email. Those cannot be merged.

Around the time of iOS 9 anyone who used the new Notes syncing had to make an iCloud email address, but they just added it as part of your existing Apple ID, they didn't make it a new one. That's where my confusion came in. So for a while I had an @gmail.com Apple ID with an @iCloud.com email as an alternate contact. It was always one account, not two.

I probably brought this up when I was going through it.

Sometimes I'll be reading an old forum post and thing damn I have that exact same issue, then realize I'm reading my own old post. I think I'm losing my mind.

So what could be the issue in your case is you (unintentionally) at one point not 'activating' the iCloud / me.com mailbox within your AppleID, but creating a separate AppleID in that process.

Can you elaborate on this part? I don't understand what you're saying.

The crazy thing here is that Apple's senior techs specifically told me that I'd HAVE to use a 3rd party e-mail address after we failed to get this to work with 3 different iCloud e-mail addresses.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
My credit card on file has expired. I logged into itunes to update the new exp date but it's grayed out and won't let me change it. Tried adding a new payment and it won't allow me.

What do?

Oct 26, 2017
Alright, went to applid site and fixed payment issues there. Rep said there's a bug that stops people making the change on the phone or on itunes that they are working on fixing.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
When did managing subscriptions on your iPhone change? Used to be in Settings, now in the App Store app

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When did managing subscriptions on your iPhone change? Used to be in Settings, now in the App Store app

In iOS 13 it's back in settings.

Settings->Your Name->Subscriptions

It can also be found under your profile in the App Store and in the TV app (in 12 and 13)

Before iOS 12 it was super buried in your Apple ID settings page which no one could find.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
In iOS 13 it's back in settings.

Settings->Your Name->Subscriptions

It can also be found under your profile in the App Store and in the TV app (in 12 and 13)

Before iOS 12 it was super buried in your Apple ID settings page which no one could find.

Yeah, I feel like I checked it buried in settings very recently. But I've always updated day one

Compass

alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
A bit off topic but I can't make a thread yet.

Is there a way to mirror my windows desktop to my iPad?

I'm a dentist at a school and the computer screen is behind the patient. Is there a way to mirror the desktop to my iPad? Like I pop up a x-ray on the desktop and simply show them my iPad?

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas

I'm a dentist at a school and the computer screen is behind the patient. Is there a way to mirror the desktop to my iPad? Like I pop up a x-ray on the desktop and simply show them my iPad?

I use this not really for mirroring, but it could easily work for that. And it's free.

VNC Viewer - Remote Desktop by RealVNC
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/vnc-viewer-remote-desktop/id352019548

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

There's plenty of apps that do that, i think. Many of them are Mac only, but there's some that work on Windows as well.

There's Duet Display - the Windows part is free, the iOS app is 10 bucks.
There's iDisplay - Windows part once again free, iOS part like 15 bucks.

No experience with any of those - but Duet looks very convincing, presentation-wise ;)

Edit: Oh, wait a second - i think Duet's 9.99 app only allows wired screen mirroring, for wireless you need the "Air" in-app-purchase, and i can't tell from the webpage if that's a subscription or a one-time-hing.

Also, there's Splashtop

Oct 25, 2017

You could also look at Screens 4, which is a paid app.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, any of y'all have a recommendation for a phone case that:

1. Isn't too thick.
2. Doesn't have a bottom lip. (i wanna feel nothing but glass for when i swipe up)
3. Looks dope.

Currently rocking the Apple Leather case on my iPhone XS, but i might wanna switch it up a bit for when i'm going on my summer vacation.
Most neat looking cases fail at the 2nd criteria.

Edit: oh, also, i prefer a hard shell over something rubbery feeling.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, any of y'all have a recommendation for a phone case that:

1. Isn't too thick.
2. Doesn't have a bottom lip. (i wanna feel nothing but glass for when i swipe up)
3. Looks dope.

Currently rocking the Apple Leather case on my iPhone XS, but i might wanna switch it up a bit for when i'm going on my summer vacation.
Most neat looking cases fail at the 2nd criteria.

Edit: oh, also, i prefer a hard shell over something rubbery feeling.

thats probably going to be those 'thin' cases, like Peel.

Amazon is full of cheap versions.

sebco

Oct 27, 2017
With Apple TV supporting XB1 and DS4 controllers and the Steam Link app I've been thinking about picking one up but wondering if I should wait until around September. Have there been any rumors on a new SKU? I'm figuring they would launch one along side Apple TV+.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
With Apple TV supporting XB1 and DS4 controllers and the Steam Link app I've been thinking about picking one up but wondering if I should wait until around September. Have there been any rumors on a new SKU? I'm figuring they would launch one along side Apple TV+.

I have not heard any rumors and I'm not sure what they would add.

That being said, simply based on days since release measured against previous updates.. it's due for a refresh.

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
Just picked up the ipad pro 11"- had BB price match Amazon's sale and used my BB CC for 10% rewards back.

Any particular apps y'all would suggest?

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Hm, drawing apps, best twitter app, note taking apps, video playback app, and maybe ideas of apps that really take advantage of the iPad?

Tweetbot or Twitterific
OneNote, Evernote or Notability
VLC

Apps for productivity that I use that make excellent use of the iPad include Scrivener, Pythonista, PDF Expert and Outlook.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Both my wife and my phone (iPhone 7) are saying iCloud cannot back up due to not enough space, but we both have >20 GB remaining. I am confused.