• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
And there you go. Donny does not know how this shit fucking works. So I guess the price of the Pro is just gonna be higher? What parts aren't able to be made here? Just screws? I would have thought it was some chip or something.

My guess is that it's already built into the price of the Pro. Apple could see this coming and there was no price continuity to worry about, and the audience is more likely to just absorb it and move on.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
My left airpod only works my right doesn't make any sound when i put them in my ears, guess ill bug apple

false alarm, my case was just dead, i think that's first time I've ever let it go dead since i got them , i must be using these alot, or my wife is haha

Last edited:

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
My OG AirPods case has worn and gotten scratched. I have had them since winter 2016 - so I dont really care for the looks and they served me well.
But... has anyone ever sanded their case down a bit and paint over it? I might as well have fun with it

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a possibility the 13 and 15 inch Pros will be getting the new keyboard mechanism this year if the rumored 16 inch Pro does come out with a new keyboard mechanism? I'm looking to upgrade my laptop and want to get back to using a Mac as I have been using a Windows laptop the last 2 years and really miss my MBP. I'm also in a programming program at my local junior college and want to get something more powerful than my current piece of kit that is rocking a dual core i3, 8 gigs RAM, and 720p screen (It's so bad, especially for something like programming where text is so important). Especially as I will be doing more in-depth and extensive programming the next few semesters. Like I said I miss using a Mac, the screen, the build quality, the OS are just so much better overall. Aside from the needs of my schooling and future career path, I usually have to go into the hospital for a week or two a couple times a year to get IV antibiotics for my cystic fibrosis so I spend a lot of time watching stuff on streaming services and also need to be able to move my laptop quickly and with one hand should medical people come in an need to do something right then and there. I just want to know if I should take the plunge now or wait until the possible announcement later this year?

Last edited:

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a possibility the 13 and 15 inch Pros will be getting the new keyboard mechanism this year if the rumored 16 inch Pro does come out with a new keyboard mechanism? I'm looking to upgrade my laptop and want to get back to using a Mac as I have been using a Windows laptop the last 2 years and really miss my MBP. I'm also in a programming program at my local junior college and want to get something more powerful than my current piece of kit that is rocking a dual core i3, 8 gigs RAM, and 720p screen (It's so bad, especially for something like programming where text is so important). Especially as I will be doing more in-depth and extensive programming the next few semesters. Like I said I miss using a Mac, the screen, the build quality, the OS are just so much better overall. Aside from the needs of my schooling and future career path, I usually have to go into the hospital for a week or two a couple times a year to get IV antibiotics for my cystic fibrosis so I spend a lot of time watching stuff on streaming services and also need to be able to move my laptop quickly and with one hand should medical people come in an need to do something right then and there. I just want to know if I should take the plunge now or wait until the possible announcement later this year?

The rumors have gone back and forth on this - some have said the Air and 13" Pro are getting a scissor mechanism this year too, others have said only the 16" Pro is getting it this year and the others will get new keyboards next year. If you need it for this fall, I'd go ahead and say get the new 13" Pro that just released. Apple will cover the keyboard for four years if there's any issues with it.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
The current iMac is a fantastic machine if you ask me, I would get one now if I need it. :)

The next best thing is always around the corner, so if you don't have to buy it now you can of course wait until next year.
The iMac is due for a refresh, but there haven't been significant leaks to suggest that's imminent (and practically speaking I doubt they'd revamp the line the same year they're revamping the MBP lineup.)
Thanks guys!

I'm currently using a Mac Pro 4,1 which to be honest still holds up strong (aside from not being able to run my Cintiq in 4K), but since it's a shared family computer I thought about investing in my own Mac.

I was thinking the following setup:

3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz
8GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory (I'd update this at a later point)
Radeon Pro 580X with 8GB of GDDR5 memory
1TB SSD storage (debating whether or not to get this or 512GB and just use an external drive if I ever needed one)

Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks guys!

I'm currently using a Mac Pro 4,1 which to be honest still holds up strong (aside from not being able to run my Cintiq in 4K), but since it's a shared family computer I thought about investing in my own Mac.

I was thinking the following setup:

3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz
8GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory (I'd update this at a later point)
Radeon Pro 580X with 8GB of GDDR5 memory
1TB SSD storage (debating whether or not to get this or 512GB and just use an external drive if I ever needed one)

Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated!

It's more money, but if I had to allocate dollars I'd get the 512GB SSD and instead go for the Vega 48 GPU upgrade. Assuming you're going to keep the machine for a decent amount of time, it makes more sense to pump money into the stuff you can't upgrade, and it's not hard to hang a USB3 or TB3 SSD off the back of an iMac to boost storage if necessary (hell you can even crack it open and add an internal drive if you want down the line) while you're basically stuck with the GPU under all circumstances.

(The Vegas also run cooler, so if you were someone concerned about longevity—which I'm not, particularly, since I've never had a desktop Mac with a serious hardware issue—that's a plus.)

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
It's more money, but if I had to allocate dollars I'd get the 512GB SSD and instead go for the Vega 48 GPU upgrade. Assuming you're going to keep the machine for a decent amount of time, it makes more sense to pump money into the stuff you can't upgrade, and it's not hard to hang a USB3 or TB3 SSD off the back of an iMac to boost storage if necessary (hell you can even crack it open and add an internal drive if you want down the line) while you're basically stuck with the GPU under all circumstances.

(The Vegas also run cooler, so if you were someone concerned about longevity—which I'm not, particularly, since I've never had a desktop Mac with a serious hardware issue—that's a plus.)
Thanks for the suggestion! It's a lot more money, but it's certainly something to consider.

Gaming isn't the reason I'm getting this at all, but I take it for gaming the Vega is better?

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the suggestion! It's a lot more money, but it's certainly something to consider.

Gaming isn't the reason I'm getting this at all, but I take it for gaming the Vega is better?

It'll be better in general, but obviously stuff like gaming and high-performance work is where it's gonna' shine. If you aren't really expecting to be stressing the GPU with the work you need, the 560 is probably fine for running the Cintiq. As far as I'm aware Photoshop still isn't heavily GPU-accelerated so you wouldn't see a huge amount of benefit there versus fast scratch disks and RAM.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
It'll be better in general, but obviously stuff like gaming and high-performance work is where it's gonna' shine. If you aren't really expecting to be stressing the GPU with the work you need, the 560 is probably fine for running the Cintiq. As far as I'm aware Photoshop still isn't heavily GPU-accelerated so you wouldn't see a huge amount of benefit there versus fast scratch disks and RAM.
The Vega will potentially come in handy if I ever do CG animation again so I'll probably opt for that.

It's going to be expensive but I feel it'll be an investment at least.

Oct 25, 2017
The Vega will potentially come in handy if I ever do CG animation again so I'll probably opt for that.

It's going to be expensive but I feel it'll be an investment at least.

The flip side is that you can (though not as easily) upgrade your GPU setup with an eGPU, it's just going to be more expensive and more bulk than an external SSD.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone suggest any legit websites or places to purchase a refurbished or used MacBook Air or Pro for college besides the Apple Store?

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
If you care about gaming I would save the money and get a console instead. That's just me though, of course.

You don't need the Vega for normal use, unless you depend on software that utilizes the GPU, like video editing.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
I sometimes have this issue on my iPhone Xs Max where it won't respond to anything for like minute, either when the screen is is on it sorta freezes or when the screen is off it just won't turn on and then it sorts itself

Anyone else has this issue or know what could cause this?

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
The flip side is that you can (though not as easily) upgrade your GPU setup with an eGPU, it's just going to be more expensive and more bulk than an external SSD.
I heard about that! It's something to think about, but I think it makes more sense to just get a better internal GPU.
If you care about gaming I would save the money and get a console instead. That's just me though, of course.

You don't need the Vega for normal use, unless you depend on software that utilizes the GPU, like video editing.
Honestly gaming isn't why I'm buying the machine whatsoever, it's just a potential added bonus from time to time.

Why buy an Xbox One for example if I only want to play a couple of games that are on Windows? (like Forza Horizon 4)

The type of work I'd use the machine for would be art, animation, music and video editing (albeit not as much as the others).

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly wouldn't get less than 1TB internal storage in a Mac these days if I am planning to keep it for 5+ years; more storage is always a huge QOL of improvement even on an iMac.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I heard about that! It's something to think about, but I think it makes more sense to just get a better internal GPU.
Honestly gaming isn't why I'm buying the machine whatsoever, it's just a potential added bonus from time to time.

Why buy an Xbox One for example if I only want to play a couple of games that are on Windows? (like Forza Horizon 4)

The type of work I'd use the machine for would be art, animation, music and video editing (albeit not as much as the others).
That's pretty simple, it's still not as good as a dedicated gaming console. Even with the Vega the iMac isn't built for gaming, it's just not fast enough, and it's MacOS and you'll probably have to deal with Windows at some point.
But as I said, that's just my thoughts.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if it is online, but I think some Best Buy stores sell refurbished Apple products (which makes sense since they have the miniature Apple stores in them).

I just checked both and Amazon has some incredibly poor reviews for the quality of the product, it seems. Do any of you know about MacOfAllTrades and whether or not they are good? Their reviews are good, but I thought I would check here.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
That's pretty simple, it's still not as good as a dedicated gaming console. Even with the Vega the iMac isn't built for gaming, it's just not fast enough, and it's MacOS and you'll probably have to deal with Windows at some point.
But as I said, that's just my thoughts.
Definitely.

I'm buying the machine for work, I just contemplated the thought of playing a few games on it earlier today (even if it'll be on Windows at low settings). I don't game like I once did so I can't justify buying dedicated systems anymore (although I'll likely get Switch at some point).

Oct 25, 2017
I just did an update for my MacBook Pro on 10.14.6, and now when I slide notification center, it starts in the middle of the screen and takes up the left hand side of my screen. It's clearly a bug, but does anyone else suffer from this?

Edit: Actually, I got a few notifications right now and they are appearing about the one-third mark on the screen on the left side.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
If I install watch beta and Apple TV beta, and something goes wrong, withered worst case i have to take it to Apple and they cover the fix for free Bc it's a public beta? Even if out of warranty?

cuz I'm super freain tempted, I keep hearing how awesome watch os6 is, and i want to have it installed lol

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
What's the best way to transfer data / backup from one iPhone to another iPhone without iCloud?

Long story short, we lost access to my mom's iCloud account and we need to transfer all her photos and contacts to a new iPhone. Can I back up only her photos and contacts on iTunes and restore just those on a new phone without iCloud?

I just need to transfer photos and her contacts. Worst case scenario I'll manually transfer them but there's gotta be an easier option right?

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If I install watch beta and Apple TV beta, and something goes wrong, withered worst case i have to take it to Apple and they cover the fix for free Bc it's a public beta? Even if out of warranty?

cuz I'm super freain tempted, I keep hearing how awesome watch os6 is, and i want to have it installed lol

There is no public beta for the Watch, so they send it out to get rebooted. If you're out of warranty the system will automatically assign a charge and the store should override it, but be warned that if the repair center finds anything wrong with it other than the OS they will charge for it or not touch it, even if you don't actually give a shit.

I honestly don't know if the Apple Store can even downgrade an Apple TV, I think you have to do it through xcode??

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
There is no public beta for the Watch, so they send it out to get rebooted. If you're out of warranty the system will automatically assign a charge and the store should override it, but be warned that if the repair center finds anything wrong with it other than the OS they will charge for it or not touch it, even if you don't actually give a shit.

I honestly don't know if the Apple Store can even downgrade an Apple TV, I think you have to do it through xcode??

Ok I believe I was reading people say you had to take the AppleTV to the store.

The watch is in good shape so I'm not worried about that. Im gunna jump in and take the risk. Worst case I'm without my watch for a bit and I'm ok with a forced break

Oct 25, 2017
I just checked both and Amazon has some incredibly poor reviews for the quality of the product, it seems. Do any of you know about MacOfAllTrades and whether or not they are good? Their reviews are good, but I thought I would check here.

For what it's worth I got my Mac Pro from Macofalltrades and had a really good experience. With that said, Apple's refurbs are basically a new product in a non-shiny case, so while they aren't heavily discounted they're much closer to new than anything else.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, someone broke my 18-watt iPad charger and now I'm in the market for a new charger. I figured I should upgrade and get the Anker Atom PD2 which is a 60 watt charger dual USB-C charger, but reading reviews on Amazon (and the fact that it isn't being sold right now) led me down a path that looks like the charger is either buster or that a batch of them are busted and damaging electronics used with it. Anyone have a good suggestion for a 60 watt-ish charger that has two USB-C ports, or at least a third party brand I can monitor? I hear Aukey is good.

Second question: Does anyone use a different case for Beats Studio 3 wireless headphones that isn't the soft shell nylon case that comes with them? I want something a little more sturdy.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, someone broke my 18-watt iPad charger and now I'm in the market for a new charger. I figured I should upgrade and get the Anker Atom PD2 which is a 60 watt charger dual USB-C charger, but reading reviews on Amazon (and the fact that it isn't being sold right now) led me down a path that looks like the charger is either buster or that a batch of them are busted and damaging electronics used with it.

Wait what? I was just about to buy a couple

Oct 25, 2017
Wait what? I was just about to buy a couple

The most helpful review on Amazon is this:
Huge fan of Anker products. Unfortunately, this one is going back. Worked great for a couple days. Went to use today with my 2016 15" MacBook Pro (only device plugged into the brick, using the original Apple USB-C power cable). System profiler indeed showed 60W coming in. The battery status showed charging and the brick got very hot, yet the battery percentage dropped rapidly as if the notebook was running only on battery power. Dropping from 100% to 10% in 2 hours, the brick clearly wasn't working, yet continued to get extremely hot.

Now, the USB-C port on my MacBook Pro that was being used is no longer working whatsoever (for power, data, or otherwise). Maybe I got a defective unit, but in any case, will now have to send my laptop back for repair...

UPDATE 5/25/19:
Got my laptop back from Apple today, issue confirmed. Required replacement of wiring for fried port and a new logic board.

15" MBP users - steer clear until this is confirmed to be an isolated case

There's this reddit post that says it is the cable, but with that Amazon review, I don't know: https://www.reddit.com/r/mac/comments/cfahvj/psa_anker_seems_to_have_a_bad_batch_of_usb_c/

And then there's no official selling on Amazon right now ( I could have sworn it was selling on Best Buy for me, but I don't see it there now). It's all third party. I sent an email to Anker trying to find out what's going on buy haven't heard back yet.

Edit: looks like Anker is selling them again on Amazon. When I wrote my original post, it was only third parties selling them. Now no third party is selling them.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
My son's 18th birthday end of next month and he is off to university in October. He had been using an iPad min 2 for years and with it not getting ipadOS we were thinking maybe getting him a new one. But which model? Timing seems shitty as new sizes and/or spec bumps seem imminent but not in time. Then there is the whole iPad/air/pro thing. Pro seems unnecessary but air with nice laminated display and 10.5" screen feels a decent step up over the base iPad - but is 50% more expensive..

Would a base iPad last him easily 3-4 years or should we jump up to the air? It will likely be for basic browsing and use as a 'tv' in his room, and he may want to play football manager on it (no idea how demanding that is on iPads)

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
My son's 18th birthday end of next month and he is off to university in October. He had been using an iPad min 2 for years and with it not getting ipadOS we were thinking maybe getting him a new one. But which model? Timing seems shitty as new sizes and/or spec bumps seem imminent but not in time. Then there is the whole iPad/air/pro thing. Pro seems unnecessary but air with nice laminated display and 10.5" screen feels a decent step up over the base iPad - but is 50% more expensive..

Would a base iPad last him easily 3-4 years or should we jump up to the air? It will likely be for basic browsing and use as a 'tv' in his room, and he may want to play football manager on it (no idea how demanding that is on iPads)
Go with Air because you can slap on a keyboard and become a courseroom note-taking substitute to a laptop.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The base iPad would be perfect for "basic browsing and watching videos" and should definitely last 3-4 years or so. The iPad Air is a nice step up, but the only major difference is Smart Keyboard support, which in fairness may be useful for a university student. Otherwise it's mostly just "nicer", and it's kind of a personal call whether "nicer" is worth your extra cash.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The base iPad would be perfect for "basic browsing and watching videos" and should definitely last 3-4 years or so. The iPad Air is a nice step up, but the only major difference is Smart Keyboard support, which in fairness may be useful for a university student. Otherwise it's mostly just "nicer", and it's kind of a personal call whether "nicer" is worth your extra cash.

Well we may also need to get a laptop so if we get a MacBook Air/pro then maybe the base iPad is a reasonable option for portability. My only hesitation is that the a10 (while more than enough for what it'll be used for) will have a short effective life than the a12 in the air. Considering he's running the mini 2 into the ground that's something to consider maybe?

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I went for a 2017 Pro instead of a 2019 Air; the 120hz display and quad speakers are fantastic. Also has more RAM IIRC.

If the Apple refurbished store has stock definitely consider it.

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Quick question regardind the iPhone Xs and Xr:
So, the battery life of my old Samsung S7 has significantly decreased and I've got the option to upgrade my before heading overseas for over half a year.
Since I recently got the iPad Pro 2018 I'm considering getting into the Apple ecosystem.
My question is, should I get one of the above or buy an a portable charger and wait for the iPhone XI (or whatever it is going to be called)?

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I went for a 2017 Pro instead of a 2019 Air; the 120hz display and quad speakers are fantastic. Also has more RAM IIRC.

If the Apple refurbished store has stock definitely consider it.
Good choice. Enjoy.
Quick question regardind the iPhone Xs and Xr:
So, the battery life of my old Samsung S7 has significantly decreased and I've got the option to upgrade my before heading overseas for over half a year.
Since I recently got the iPad Pro 2018 I'm considering getting into the Apple ecosystem.
My question is, should I get one of the above or buy an a portable charger and wait for the iPhone XI (or whatever it is going to be called)?
Yeah, we're two months out before the new iPhone's are released. You'd just be wasting money on old tech at this point.

Oct 26, 2017
Guys I have a real dumb question:

I have an Apple Watch 3 paired to my phone. It has a cellular plan on it.

I was wondering if I could use it as a stand alone phone to give my daughter instead of buying a new phone and new line. Namely I just need to be able to find her in GPS and have her call . She can do that as is except of course she can't call me as dialing my number takes her to voicemail settings

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Guys I have a real dumb question:

I have an Apple Watch 3 paired to my phone. It has a cellular plan on it.

I was wondering if I could use it as a stand alone phone to give my daughter instead of buying a new phone and new line. Namely I just need to be able to find her in GPS and have her call . She can do that as is except of course she can't call me as dialing my number takes her to voicemail settings

No, the Watch still has to be paired to a phone. Namely, if you just give her the Watch, it will have all your stuff. Notifications will go to it instead of your phone, all your calls will go to both so they can be picked up like her, etc. Your texts (sent a received) show up and can be fully read, etc.

At this moment the Watch is not a stand-alone device or a phone replacement.

Oct 26, 2017
No, the Watch still has to be paired to a phone. Namely, if you just give her the Watch, it will have all your stuff. Notifications will go to it instead of your phone, all your calls will go to both so they can be picked up like her, etc. Your texts (sent a received) show up and can be fully read, etc.

At this moment the Watch is not a stand-alone device or a phone replacement.

Hey thanks for the response. Really appreciate it

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You know, I'm surprised Apple hasn't gone with a polycarbonate colorful Apple Watch yet for a lower price and kid appeal. An iPhone 5c of Apple Watches, so to speak.