• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
Should I use the warranty for my Xs Max? I'm getting some really annoying freezes with the phone sometimes
I could be opening WhatsApp and it won't actually load anything for the app(white screen) and freeze for a short time, or just freeze randomly at times like about an hour ago it just froze and didn't respond and didn't wake up for a short time while it was charging.
Last week I opened a webpage that might have been heavy and the phone froze for a few minutes and I tried to do stuff while it was frozen, and when it finally started working again it did what I was tried to do while it was frozen.
My battery also died and the phone refused to turn on even tho it was connected to the charger, but that might be something related to how the battery works, I'm not sure.
it also refused to wake up for a couple of minutes after I put it in the charger like a week or two ago, and that was weird because the WhatsApp client on my PC said the phone is connected which would mind it was either shut off or the internet wasn't working, and I think it was the latter because it didn't look like it was restarted after finally waking up

I'm not sure if more people are experiencing these problems, and if something can be done to fix it without the warranty

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Should I use the warranty for my Xs Max? I'm getting some really annoying freezes with the phone sometimes
I could be opening WhatsApp and it won't actually load anything for the app(white screen) and freeze for a short time, or just freeze randomly at times like about an hour ago it just froze and didn't respond and didn't wake up for a short time while it was charging.
Last week I opened a webpage that might have been heavy and the phone froze for a few minutes and I tried to do stuff while it was frozen, and when it finally started working again it did what I was tried to do while it was frozen.
My battery also died and the phone refused to turn on even tho it was connected to the charger, but that might be something related to how the battery works, I'm not sure.
it also refused to wake up for a couple of minutes after I put it in the charger like a week or two ago, and that was weird because the WhatsApp client on my PC said the phone is connected which would mind it was either shut off or the internet wasn't working, and I think it was the latter because it didn't look like it was restarted after finally waking up

I'm not sure if more people are experiencing these problems, and if something can be done to fix it without the warranty
Not until you have done a full factory reset.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It is arguably the most "worth it" product in the iOS lineup, especially with how often it goes on sale.

There's been some rumors about a refresh this fall though, so I'd probably suggest waiting until mid-October or so at this point if you can, just in case.

How about the airs? Thinking about replacing my sons mini 2 for university but he starts end of September so a bit tricky to hold off

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How about the airs? Thinking about replacing my sons mini 2 for university but he starts end of September so a bit tricky to hold off

The Air's a bit odd - Apple sells the 2017 10.5" Pro refurbished for a bit less money, and while it has an older and slightly slower CPU (A10X vs A12), it also has more RAM, a stronger GPU, a better camera, quad speakers, and a 120Hz display (compared to two speakers and 60Hz on the Air). I'd probably recommend the 10.5" Pro over the Air in most cases.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Like what the other user said, do a full factory reset first. I also had the same problem with my XR, but updating to the latest iOS version appears to have solved it.

Even if it doesn't solve it, it's right there in the script: if you go to the Apple Store their process is guaranteed to be

1) basic diagnostics (to rule out anything obviously wrong)
2) wipe and iCloud restore
3) wipe and start from scratch

...So may as well do it yourself and save waiting around the Genius Bar for hours.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The Air's a bit odd - Apple sells the 2017 10.5" Pro refurbished for a bit less money, and while it has an older and slightly slower CPU (A10X vs A12), it also has more RAM, a stronger GPU, a better camera, quad speakers, and a 120Hz display (compared to two speakers and 60Hz on the Air). I'd probably recommend the 10.5" Pro over the Air in most cases.

I've seen that recommended before. but he has run his mini 2 into the ground - even not complainging too much when its respringing from too many safari tabs or constantly reloading pages. Now its not getting ios updates whatever he gets next will likely be the same - for me the latest CPU is a better bet for longevity.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Macbook pro question - will the new 2019 quad core run cooler for the same workload than the 2017/18 dual core? CPU TDP is the same but that would be based on a full 4 core workload at base clocks? Using my work (2017 dual core) as a baseline, it does get pretty warm during the day just with light use (although mostly only chrome web stuff - JIRA etc, slack, outlook) the processor load doesn't show as high but it still warms up. If a quad core would be cooler under the same load (in theory the same TDP processor with more power might run cooler) I may buy one for my son for University. If almost no difference I might look at discounted 2017 models or refurbs

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
If that helps: my 2019 15" with 6 cores gets just as friggin hot as the MacBooks before. If the CPU is under load, the poor thermals show, the price of the design.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen that recommended before. but he has run his mini 2 into the ground - even not complainging too much when its respringing from too many safari tabs or constantly reloading pages. Now its not getting ios updates whatever he gets next will likely be the same - for me the latest CPU is a better bet for longevity.

This. On iOS devices, it seems to be the CPU that dictates the cut-off point for software updates.
So while those 120hz are sweet and the other stuff's nice as well, the Air will certainly have higher longevity.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The CPU performance gap between the Air 3 and 10.5" Pro is like, 25%, and the Pro has better everything else. And as mentioned, the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus got dropped for having 1GB of RAM while the iPad mini 4 with the same A8 still supports iPadOS 13 for having 2GB of RAM.

Combined with the fact that hardware just isn't aging as fast as it used to (we aren't doubling or even tripling CPU performance in mobile devices every year like we were up until 2014 or so), and I'm sure the 10.5" Pro has plenty of life ahead of it.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
My personal guess would still be that 2019 Air will be supported further out than 2017 Pro at this point... no?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
My personal guess would still be that 2019 Air will be supported further out than 2017 Pro at this point... no?

This is, apparently, debatable.

Arguments for the Air are the inability to purchase the refurbed 10.5 Pro with the back-to-school benefits (cheaper iPad, cheaper AppleCare, cheaper Apple Pencil, free headphones)

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Question. I'm working on a case now where a Macbook wont boot, it just gives a folder with a questionmark. Thats a known issue and can be due to many different reasons, fair enough. However, when i go into disk utility (holding cmd+r at boot) to take a backup of the partition "Macintosh HD", i click on file, new image, and here "Macintosh HD" is greyed out. If i choose "image from folder" instead, and choose the folder i want to take a backup of, it starts for maybe 30 seconds, and then gives me an error that says something like "No such file or directory found".

Does anyone know why i simply cant take a backup of the whole partition? I have activated/unlocked the partition. I want to take a backup before trying to reinstall MacOS. I've also tried to run first aid on the disk. It gives an error (dont remember exactly what it says), but i seem to be able to read the partitions at least since i can see all the folders when i click on "image from folder".

Theres also a 2nd partition there called dsks02 or something, which apparantly is -1MB in size.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how long it'll take until we get another major Watch update. I'd love an even thinner one, and considering that my Series 4 Watch rarely dips under 50-60% charge, I'd definitely be willing to have a much smaller battery inside that thing.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I wonder how long it'll take until we get another major Watch update. I'd love an even thinner one, and considering that my Series 4 Watch rarely dips under 50-60% charge, I'd definitely be willing to have a much smaller battery inside that thing.
Well it took a few cycles of updated stuff before they did the Series 4 overhaul so I'd imagine we are still not going to see much change on the outside besides finishes before 2020 or 2021 earliest

Oct 25, 2017
My Series 4 gets a full day and night's charge, and it basically recharges to 100% when I get ready in the morning. It's not sluggish, I can do sleep tracking with 3rd party apps, and it's water resistant. I know some say the aluminum in the sport model is bad and scratches easy, but mine still looks brand new. I really don't know what improvements I would want. I guess the rumored glucose monitoring, but that still seems like a ways away.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

I'd swap some of that battery for always on display like android wear has

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
Not until you have done a full factory reset.
Like what the other user said, do a full factory reset first. I also had the same problem with my XR, but updating to the latest iOS version appears to have solved it.
Alrighty, did a factory reset. Thanks!
I hope this helps, but I still want to use the warranty on my iPhone at some point before it runs out because I think the flashlight is extremely low, I don't know if it's always been that way but at some point I noticed it and compared with a couple of other phones (iPhone and Android alike, even older phones) and it is definitely weak.
The only model I wasn't able to compare to is actually the latest iPhone models (Xr/Xs/Max), but even comparing it to an iPhone something was off.
If the factory reset doesn't fix the freezing issues I'll just take it as soon as I have the time.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Alrighty, did a factory reset. Thanks!
I hope this helps, but I still want to use the warranty on my iPhone at some point before it runs out because I think the flashlight is extremely low, I don't know if it's always been that way but at some point I noticed it and compared with a couple of other phones (iPhone and Android alike, even older phones) and it is definitely weak.
The only model I wasn't able to compare to is actually the latest iPhone models (Xr/Xs/Max), but even comparing it to an iPhone something was off.
If the factory reset doesn't fix the freezing issues I'll just take it as soon as I have the time.

and just to be sure, the flashlight is weak with the brightness set at max?

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Possibly MicroLED in 2020. That would be a major update.

zeitgeist

Oct 27, 2017
I have an early 2015 13" Macbook Pro with Retina and it is telling me to replace my battery soon.

Has anyone gone in to an Apple Store to get a new battery? The website says it would be about $260(CDN) but doesn't say how long the process takes.

I'm not sure I can part with my laptop for a day+.

Also, are there any other things I could beef up while it is there? I couldn't find any info about upgrades to my model.

I know I won't be buying a new Macbook any time soon so I'm hoping to trick my old one out as much as possible.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
What kind of benefit would there be for using microLED over current OLED?
It makes sense for larger displays whenever that becomes truly viable but the tiny watch screen?
From what I recall mLED gets much brighter and is considerably more energy efficient. Both aspects would certainly benefit the Watch.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the current 13" is pretty solid now that they fixed the wack ass processor and pricing guidelines.

I feel you tho especially on the bigger model.

My current Macbook is the first gen 13" Retina, which is 7 years old by now and i want my next laptop to have similar longevity. I simply have doubts that the current keyboards would last me that long...

Also, i need more screen real estate ... So a large screen mobile computer (that is still thin / light enough for couch / lap use) is much more fitting to my usage patterns (95% on desks - at home and the office - always carried in a backpack)

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Losing 3D Touch is definitely a bummer, but I don't think I can wait until next year to upgrade and the camera and Face ID improvements are easily enough for me, so I'm pretty sure I'll be getting the iPhone Pro or whatever the XS successor is going to be called. Kind of excited for the new matte finish, too. Hopefully they'll have Space Gray phones with a matte finish.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with losing 3D Touch as long as the new method works in exactly the same way. I've got an XS Max so there's no real need for me to upgrade this year, not that I would have anyway since I'm waiting for the 5G-capable version.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with losing 3D Touch as long as the new method works in exactly the same way. I've got an XS Max so there's no real need for me to upgrade this year, not that I would have anyway since I'm waiting for the 5G-capable version.

Meh, ever since they added drag and drop to the iPadOS things got way weirder - like, you can rearrange your apps by just dragging them (without wiggle mode) but it's a bit more wonky and less ... 'sticky' for the lack of a better word. Similarly, sometimes tapping on something in safari takes a 2nd try because the iPad thought i wanted to drag that link (into another app, for example)

i didn't mind 3D touch as the "secondary click" because if you knew it existed it worked nicely, if you didn't, it didn't interfere with your regular usage. (You don't accidentally hard press a link or an icon, you might accidentally long press it though)

Replacing it with haptic touch doesn't solve 3D-Touch's issue of being unintuitive and a mostly hidden functionality - the only "issue" it solves is a technical one for Apple.
Meanwhile, there's the potential that it will interfere with how people tend to use their phones.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It's the same with the force touch thing on the magic trackpad. They added it, but it lacks any useful support. 3D touch could have been really cool, but they just didn't care enough and so it dies now.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Did they ever actually add a tutorial thing showing how to use 3D Touch? The main problem seemed to be people didn't know how to use it properly rather than it being poorly implemented e.g. not knowing about pressing the space bar to move the cursor around going viral when that had been a thing for about two years.

I use 3D Touch all the time for the app shortcuts and stuff, the only think I never use is the peek thing when clicking on a URL in Safari.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
It's the same with the force touch thing on the magic trackpad. They added it, but it lacks any useful support. 3D touch could have been really cool, but they just didn't care enough and so it dies now.

Yeah, but it doesn't die, the functionality seems to get moved into a UX paradigm that is already kindasorta being used for other commands (tap-and-hold) and is much easier to accidentally invoke.

But if Haptic Touch is a stimulus to app developers making more use of homescreen shortcuts, it's still kind of a win.