• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I don't think you can map all 3D touch actions to the haptic touch though?

I'm fine with my Xr, the only features I ever used got ported to haptic touch: moving the cursor and deleting all notifications at once. I never used the app shortcuts or anything else 3D touch offered.

I really can't understand why Apple never gave a shit about any "in your face" tutorials on how to use it. When I learned that I can move the cursor by hard pressing i was like 🤯. I owned the phone for over a year already...

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I really can't understand why Apple never gave a shit about any "in your face" tutorials on how to use it. When I learned that I can move the cursor by hard pressing i was like 🤯. I owned the phone for over a year already...
I know they have some when you're setting up a new phone like the Touch/Face ID stuff and data transfer, but I think that's it? I don't know why they've never done it for major new features added with an iOS update.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I know they have some when you're setting up a new phone like the Touch/Face ID stuff and data transfer, but I think that's it? I don't know why they've never done it for major new features added with an iOS update.

They have more than enough tutorial screens during setup.

'Connect to WiFi'
'Wanna restore?'
'Set up Siri'
'Set up FaceID / TouchID'
'Set up Password'
'Use Location Services'
'Send Diagnostics Data to Apple'

like, no amount of "tutorial" could really fully explain 3D touch,
They could have just said "you can hard press your screen, just give it a try, wherever, and see if anything happens"

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
bought an ipad air for my son's 18th birthday present. Can anyone recommend a decent but cheap case/cover?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Gurman scoop for the September event and beyond with some new info: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ad-pro-16-inch-macbook-pro-airpods-3-features

E: Damn, 3D Touch getting actually killed off :(

A reverse wireless charging system so that a user can power-up the latest AirPods in the optional wireless-charging case by leaving it on the back of the new Pro phones.
this may be enough to at least get me on to the upgrade program (I'd want the 2020 phone). I've run out of juice at inopportune moments so this would be useful.

Ipad pro upgrades are a bit surprising - maybe they're wanting to bring the matrix thing to them asap?

10.2" ipad basic sounds dumb - why add another size to 7.9/9.7/10.2/10.5/11/12.9? Just make it 10.5 or keep the original size. Still, likely that'll be a christmas present for my daughter to replace her mini 2.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
this may be enough to at least get me on to the upgrade program (I'd want the 2020 phone). I've run out of juice at inopportune moments so this would be useful.

Ipad pro upgrades are a bit surprising - maybe they're wanting to bring the matrix thing to them asap?

10.2" ipad basic sounds dumb - why add another size to 7.9/9.7/10.2/10.5/11/12.9? Just make it 10.5 or keep the original size. Still, likely that'll be a christmas present for my daughter to replace her mini 2.
It supposedly replaces 9.7 so it isn't an added size if I understand right

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I really only use 3D Touch for cursor scrubbing so that being moved to pressing and holding spacebar is certainly going to be a worse experience (takes longer, not sure how moving the cursor down works considering, you know, spacebar's location) but probably not by much, which is why it's just a bummer but not a dealbreaker.

I don't really know how they're going to replace 3D Touch with pressing and holding when that's already used a lot.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised that iPad Pro update is coming so soon. I've just bought one this month. Oh well, $200 discount is $200 discount.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
They have more than enough tutorial screens during setup.

'Connect to WiFi'
'Wanna restore?'
'Set up Siri'
'Set up FaceID / TouchID'
'Set up Password'
'Use Location Services'
'Send Diagnostics Data to Apple'

like, no amount of "tutorial" could really fully explain 3D touch,
They could have just said "you can hard press your screen, just give it a try, wherever, and see if anything happens"
The problem with 3Dtouch is.
I spent years teaching my parents that they just need to tap to do things on their phones. They were always trying to press and get frustrated. Then Apple comes along and introduced features that actually require pressing, it was just too much for them. :p

Cat Dad

Oct 25, 2017
iOS 13 beta killing 3D Touch on my XS is the only thing I don't like about it. I find myself accidentally long pressing whereas before with 3D Touch I had much more control

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I spent years teaching my parents that they just need to tap to do things on their phones. They were always trying to press and get frustrated. Then Apple comes along and introduced features that actually require pressing, it was just too much for them. :p
It also wasn't necessary. So leave it for the advanced users.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have an early 2015 13" Macbook Pro with Retina and it is telling me to replace my battery soon.

Has anyone gone in to an Apple Store to get a new battery? The website says it would be about $260(CDN) but doesn't say how long the process takes.

I'm not sure I can part with my laptop for a day+.

Also, are there any other things I could beef up while it is there? I couldn't find any info about upgrades to my model.

I know I won't be buying a new Macbook any time soon so I'm hoping to trick my old one out as much as possible.

What are your other specs?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
It also wasn't necessary. So leave it for the advanced users.

I kinda agree, though.

For a while, Apple computers had no "right click". Power users knew about the secondary "ctrl+click", but the average user didn't.
Like, imagine if Apple hadn't added a right mouse button but instead tried to cram 'secondary click' functionality into some kind of click-and-hold (with the left mouse button) paradigm.

I have an early 2015 13" Macbook Pro with Retina and it is telling me to replace my battery soon.

Has anyone gone in to an Apple Store to get a new battery? The website says it would be about $260(CDN) but doesn't say how long the process takes.

I'm not sure I can part with my laptop for a day+.

Also, are there any other things I could beef up while it is there? I couldn't find any info about upgrades to my model.

I know I won't be buying a new Macbook any time soon so I'm hoping to trick my old one out as much as possible.

I replaced the battery in my 2012 13" Macbook Pro (Retina). Wasn't too much of a hassle. (though the adhesive can go suck my ... toes)

I think the only user-upgradeable component is the M.2 SSD? And even that one requires some proprietary SSDs right?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I could never teach my mom how to use Touch ID (Gen 1 to be fair). She always pressed hard on the home button and then entered her passcode instead of rest + press. Safe to say she's totally in love with Face ID lol

zeitgeist

Oct 27, 2017
What are your other specs?

Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Storage: 250GB SSD (no need to upgrade this one)

Thanks!

I kinda agree, though.

For a while, Apple computers had no "right click". Power users knew about the secondary "ctrl+click", but the average user didn't.
Like, imagine if Apple hadn't added a right mouse button but instead tried to cram 'secondary click' functionality into some kind of click-and-hold (with the left mouse button) paradigm.

I replaced the battery in my 2012 13" Macbook Pro (Retina). Wasn't too much of a hassle. (though the adhesive can go suck my ... toes)

I think the only user-upgradeable component is the M.2 SSD? And even that one requires some proprietary SSDs right?

Oooh, I definitely wouldn't do it myself. I'd take it to an Apple Store. I'm not sure what they do for this model anymore though.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised that iPad Pro update is coming so soon. I've just bought one this month. Oh well, $200 discount is $200 discount.

Yeah at some point you have to take discounts on stupidly overpriced but overpowered stuff as a reasonable option (Just bought mine recently too). If its just a CPU bump I won't mind so much.

Kitten Mittens thanks - simple is fine. He had a basic smart cover on his mini 2 and it lasted years. He looks after his stuff which is why I don't mind buying him something a bit more expensive than the basic ipad

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I expect it to be closer to an S year for the iPad Pro. So a spec bump.

MAYBE they do some internal redesign to help with the bending problem.

The current pro will price drop and become the one to get due to the value.

Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Storage: 250GB SSD (no need to upgrade this one)

Thanks!

Oooh, I definitely wouldn't do it myself. I'd take it to an Apple Store. I'm not sure what they do for this model anymore though.

Honestly your probably fine on everything. You could upgrade the RAM if you want, but it's not a necessity.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Rumors for the iPhone 11 Pro sound great, count me in. Giant camera improvements, wide angle Face ID, bilateral charging (which hopefully works for Apple Watch as well...) make for a cool year.

As for losing 3D Touch, I'm on the 13 beta and already actually disabled it and have been using haptic touch exclusively and it's fine. All the functionality is still there. Plus it standardizes things across iPhones and iPads which is worth it

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Not going near the iPhones now. The notch will most likely be gone next year. Definitely interested in an AirPods revision though.

Haribokart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I worked for Apple from 2011 to last year. Believe me, 90% of customers had no idea how to use 3D Touch - it's intuitive and makes a lot of sense to people like us but to the average person on the street it's confusing and makes no sense. I understand why they are getting rid of it, even though I personally adore the feature.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I worked for Apple from 2011 to last year. Believe me, 90% of customers had no idea how to use 3D Touch - it's intuitive and makes a lot of sense to people like us but to the average person on the street it's confusing and makes no sense. I understand why they are getting rid of it, even though I personally adore the feature.
So you're saying it's a "Pro" feature? 🤔
I still secretly hope the scoops got it all wrong and it's still present on the higher end models 😰

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Pardon my ignorance on material science, but if titanium Apple Watches are actually a thing, will the premium in price be worth it for the average consumer?

My device plan is to extend my usage of phone and smartwatch to 3 years. Obviously, 3 years is plenty of time for normal wear and tear to set in, but I'm not particularly active/outdoorsy and don't see myself as being regularly exposed to environmental hazards that might pose a threat to my devices -- my work is just a desk job so it's not like it'll be in high heat conditions or conditions that pose a lot of opportunities for traumatic impact to it, outside of just regular day-to-day city living.

I'm guessing titanium vs aluminum probably isn't a huge deal for someone like me, but just curious if there's a dramatic difference in build quality for someone of my use-case scenario.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Pardon my ignorance on material science, but if titanium Apple Watches are actually a thing, will the premium in price be worth it for the average consumer?

My device plan is to extend my usage of phone and smartwatch to 3 years. Obviously, 3 years is plenty of time for normal wear and tear to set in, but I'm not particularly active/outdoorsy and don't see myself as being regularly exposed to environmental hazards that might pose a threat to my devices -- my work is just a desk job so it's not like it'll be in high heat conditions or conditions that pose a lot of opportunities for traumatic impact to it, outside of just regular day-to-day city living.

I'm guessing titanium vs aluminum probably isn't a huge deal for someone like me, but just curious if there's a dramatic difference in build quality for someone of my use-case scenario.

It's just an alternative to stainless. It would be a lot lighter though. All 3 materials are prone to scratches. But you can re-polish SS at least much more easily.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how long it'll take until we get another major Watch update. I'd love an even thinner one, and considering that my Series 4 Watch rarely dips under 50-60% charge, I'd definitely be willing to have a much smaller battery inside that thing.

Eh, I think they should focus on getting to true "all day" battery life first (24+ hours.)

I'd love a thinner one too but I'd first want the piece of mind that even if I'm doing a bunch of workouts and having a late night out my watch isn't going to tap out.

Speedwise there are still occasional hiccups and hopefully WatchOS 6's focus on more independence will help there (since I'm not sure it's really the hardware per se rather than trying to communicate with the phone) but I think they need to keep advancing its features before slimming it down more.

Frankly though I think they should go back to 18-24 month update cycles and make them more meaningful. Especially since that would make buying a more expensive SKU more palatable.

Oct 25, 2017
So you're saying it's a "Pro" feature? 🤔
I still secretly hope the scoops got it all wrong and it's still present on the higher end models 😰

If it's not present on all models it's never going to be meaningfully adopted (as happened.) The problem with using it as a pro right-click style feature is you can't rely on it (iPads never had it, etc.)

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
So silly question.
OLEDS turn off for pure blacks.
Does Night Shift shift pure black so that the OLEDs are no longer pure black and thus turn on?
Not at all gonna change my use behavior but just curious.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So silly question.
OLEDS turn off for pure blacks.
Does Night Shift shift pure black so that the OLEDs are no longer pure black and thus turn on?
Not at all gonna change my use behavior but just curious.

Doesn't look like it from my perspective, though I'm not scientifically testing it. Looks as black as ever

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Ok, i have some pages to back read, but i gotta Ask this first, now i am high, so maybe its just paranoia....

ios13, iPadOS, WatchOS6.......pretty good....but kind of still a lot of bugs?

Is this normal this far into a Beta? I was just kind of hyping up iOS13 in my head bc people said it was a lot of features held back from 12...and i thought people made it sound like were only a week a way from full release and yet its still crazy buggy?

im about to update to dev 8. Hope it helps but the spots i checked sure didnt show any features added.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We literally have this discussion every year. It's fine. They will launch on time. They will be fine.

Also the launch is in a month, where are people getting this next week stuff?!

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

I personally don't quite get paying a 50% premium on a feature-identical watch just for different case material. Especially on the watch where 95% of possible scratches will occur on the screen. If ceramic and titanium are (possibly) even more expensive than stainless steel, you'll be able to buy two aluminium watches for the price of a single 'premium' one. So please don't eye those materials for "build quality" reasons.
Like, this is my original, release day bought, 'series 0' aluminum AppleWatch which i've worn every single day until replacing it with a Series 4 last fall.
KETgPUQ.jpg

like, sure, there's a tiny scuff, but that's about it. I'm quite sure you'd see similar imperfections on a 3-year-old ceramic or titanium watch :P

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'd quite like a MBP with the base 15w(?) quad core but with the dual heat pipes and cooling fans of the 4port model (oh and 4 ports). For day to day use that'd probably almost run passively or certainly almost silently

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
I personally don't quite get paying a 50% premium on a feature-identical watch just for different case material. Especially on the watch where 95% of possible scratches will occur on the screen. If ceramic and titanium are (possibly) even more expensive than stainless steel, you'll be able to buy two aluminium watches for the price of a single 'premium' one. So please don't eye those materials for "build quality" reasons.
Like, this is my original, release day bought, 'series 0' aluminum AppleWatch which i've worn every single day until replacing it with a Series 4 last fall.
KETgPUQ.jpg

like, sure, there's a tiny scuff, but that's about it. I'm quite sure you'd see similar imperfections on a 3-year-old ceramic or titanium watch :P

Two comments on the case material:
  • My case tends to get a lot of wear and tear on the arm side of the watch -- the strap of my work bag tends to get caught on it if I'm not careful/rushing, which can scratch it up.
  • The material of the case (and the strap, for that matter) has a big impact of how it feels to wear. Titanium wedding rings feel different after a few weeks compared to a gold/platinum ring, for example.
Unrelated: some people may have a bad skin reaction to one material and may need to use another, so more options can't hurt.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Two comments on the case material:
  • My case tends to get a lot of wear and tear on the arm side of the watch -- the strap of my work bag tends to get caught on it if I'm not careful/rushing, which can scratch it up.
  • The material of the case (and the strap, for that matter) has a big impact of how it feels to wear. Titanium wedding rings feel different after a few weeks compared to a gold/platinum ring, for example.
Unrelated: some people may have a bad skin reaction to one material and may need to use another, so more options can't hurt.
Absolutely, not disagreeing with any of that. I just felt like the perception of the aluminum housing being in a way 'subpar' in durability is a bit unfounded.

Also, one should add that the part of the watch that is in constant contact with your skin is ceramic+glass anyways.
UaWtv6xDEoOQIjyY.large

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely, not disagreeing with any of that. I just felt like the perception of the aluminum housing being in a way 'subpar' in durability is a bit unfounded.

Also, one should add that the part of the watch that is in constant contact with your skin is ceramic+glass anyways.
UaWtv6xDEoOQIjyY.large

It's great that the aluminum has been durable for you (and the ion glass face) but it's not the case for everyone.. small sample size and everything. There is certainly a place in the lineup for more/less durable materials.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the Touch ID/Face ID authentication Apple offers on iOS is under a generic authentication API? By which I mean, will the apps that offer Touch ID authentication on my iPhone 8 (my bank's mobile app's login, for example) automatically offer Face ID authentication on a Face ID iPhone?

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the Touch ID/Face ID authentication Apple offers on iOS is under a generic authentication API? By which I mean, will the apps that offer Touch ID authentication on my iPhone 8 (my bank's mobile app's login, for example) automatically offer Face ID authentication on a Face ID iPhone?
If an app offers Touch ID, it automatically also offers Face ID. The prompt in iOS that registers for biometric identification is designed to convert appropriately if the app developer hasn't coded it in yet.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Got a pair of free Beats Solo 3s with an iPad Air from the Education store. Thought I'd be selling them and using the money to get another pair of AirPods, but damn these things blow the AirPods away. Given all the shit Beats get, I was expecting something awful. Bass is substantial without overpowering the vocals. Sound equally great in wired mode on my PS4 and even work with my Boompro mic. I might be in love with this audio signature.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Got a pair of free Beats Solo 3s with an iPad Air from the Education store. Thought I'd be selling them and using the money to get another pair of AirPods, but damn these things blow the AirPods away. Given all the shit Beats get, I was expecting something awful. Bass is substantial without overpowering the vocals. Sound equally great in wired mode on my PS4 and even work with my Boompro mic. I might be in love with this audio signature.
I personally love the Solo3. I think if purchased on sale or in a promotion, they're one of the better headsets to use with iOS thanks to the W1 chip.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
I personally love the Solo3. I think if purchased on sale or in a promotion, they're one of the better headsets to use with iOS thanks to the W1 chip.
Great point about the price. These are not worth the 200 they charge for them. I see them regularly on sale for 150 though, and I'd say they're worth that if they turn out to be durable enough.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Solo 3 wireless isn't bad except for micro-USB and the on-ear design.