• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Picked up a set of Airpods and they're...okay?

Sound quality is acceptable but connectivity is super flakey. It's not quite the seamless experience I was hoping. Last night I was listening to a podcast from my phone and after my iPhone's battery died I tried to switch over to my Apple Watch but it kept telling me that the Airpods weren't on and in range even though they were in my ears and the watch was, well, on my wrist.

I also had to manually pair it to my Macbook Pro and Apple TV to get it to appear as an option, which is bizarre after I heard so much about how it supposedly auto-pairs to everything that your Apple ID is signed into.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
AirPods were great when they were first released but I'm not sure I'd get another pair at this point when the batteries in my launch pair die. I think there are much better options now than before unless Apple improves them significantly for the next iteration.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Yeah Solo 3 wireless isn't bad except for micro-USB and the on-ear design.
Not bothered by the micro USB simply because my PS4 has a cable hanging off it to charge controllers via USB anyway, and at 40 hours battery life, I won't be charging these much. Would definitely prefer this sound signature in an over-the-ear pair though.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Should be able to get it when I get paid on September 30th if any of the nearby stores have it then.

I'm excited, aside from switching from Android to iPhone two years ago, this is probably going to be the biggest phone upgrade I've had in years. Good timing, too, I think my 8's battery has suddenly started dying or something. It's been particularly hot in recent days and today it dropped all the way to 40% after 6-ish idle hours and maybe 20-30 minutes of SOT. Not sure what's going on.

Oct 25, 2017
It's great that the aluminum has been durable for you (and the ion glass face) but it's not the case for everyone.. small sample size and everything. There is certainly a place in the lineup for more/less durable materials.
I stupidly decided to take off my watch in my bathroom a few months back and cracked the front of my sport badly. Was wondering if the sapphire would have held up any better or if the impact wouldn't matter. I definitely think for most people the stainless steel shows more wear than the aluminum. On the other hand, you can polish the SS models, whereas scratches are Basically permanent on the sport.

Watch still runs fine though. I'd be tempted by a new model if only to ensure water resistance though. Hard to keep the thing dry in heavy rain.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I stupidly decided to take off my watch in my bathroom a few months back and cracked the front of my sport badly. Was wondering if the sapphire would have held up any better or if the impact wouldn't matter. I definitely think for most people the stainless steel shows more wear than the aluminum. On the other hand, you can polish the SS models, whereas scratches are Basically permanent on the sport.

Watch still runs fine though. I'd be tempted by a new model if only to ensure water resistance though. Hard to keep the thing dry in heavy rain.

I think the black SS demonstrates the best durability of all the watches except the ceramic. Black gets you the harder metal, sapphire glass, and the finish doesn't accumulate fine scratches like the silver SS. I don't know about gold.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
I run the current public iOS 13 beta and the haptic feedback of force touches is different and doesn't feel right. Can I reset it to the older feedback?

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
These Beats Solos of mine sound great for an hour at a time and then the pain from wearing them becomes unbearable. I need to find a pair of headphones that sound this fun and are also comfortable.

Oct 25, 2017
My Beats Solo3 are great for free, but I would never pay for them. Also, within two months of having them, one of the ear cups started falling apart from kind of minimal wear. I recently bought replacement cups off of Amazon and they're much nicer than the ones before. As for comfort, I wear mine every night while watching television or a movie, and while I'd rather be wearing my AirPods, they don't cause me any discomfort, except when laying down or in the summer heat if I don't have the AC on, and then they sweat my ears.

Oct 25, 2017
That's most closed-back headphones.
I don't know if it was the size of the cups, the material, or the pressure, but I definitely would sweat more when wearing them than any other headphones I've had.

edit, also, and I know it will never happen, but I wish Apple would release, or someone could reverse engineer, some sort of headphone adapter that uses Apple's technology for the very simple pairing of the H1 and W1 chips in the AirPods and solo 3 headphones.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017

Sapphire glass is more scratch resistant but also more brittle to my knowledge, so likely the same/worse outcome in your case.

Oct 25, 2017
Sapphire glass is more scratch resistant but also more brittle to my knowledge, so likely the same/worse outcome in your case.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I dunno if it's actually more brittle than the Ion glass on impact or just much less stronger in comparison than the upgrade is against scratches.

I did get a fair amount of small but annoying scratches on the glass in my first few months wearing it though. Coming from not having worn a watch in easily nearly two decades I never really realized how often I would brush or ram my wrist into stuff, there was definitely a relearning period.
Supposedly a new "base" iPad with a larger 10.2" screen, and the iPad Pros are getting upgraded with new SoCs and the triple-camera system from this fall's iPhone.
Am I the only one really annoyed the iPad screen sizes keep changing?

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
How long do you usually keep your wallpapers? Every once in a while, I find the perfect wallpaper, but after two or three days, I'm already sick of it. Then I check my wallpaper app and/or my wallpaper album, find the best wallpaper ever.. and two or three days later, I need a new one.

Deleted member 2474

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh. So it will remain 11" and 12.9" then?

Same sizes for the Pro, yeah.

What exactly is the difference between the iPad and iPad Air?

The Air is thinner, lighter, faster (A12 processer vs. A10 in the base iPad), and has a noticeably better screen (10.5" vs 9.7", laminated, anti-reflective coating, wider color gamut). Also supports the Smart Keyboard, which the base iPad does not.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
How long do you usually keep your wallpapers? Every once in a while, I find the perfect wallpaper, but after two or three days, I'm already sick of it. Then I check my wallpaper app and/or my wallpaper album, find the best wallpaper ever.. and two or three days later, I need a new one.
I keep them forever. My phone homescreen has had the same wallpaper since the iPhone 3G. It's covered in icons and all that matters is that it doesn't make the text hard to read. On my Mac it has a window obscuring it 100% of the time, so I'm using the built-in dynamic wallpaper that came with Mojave.

I just checked what my lockscreen wallpaper is on my phone, and it's this:

aeGtC09.png

Chosen because it doesn't make text hard to read, then forgotten about. The home screen wallpaper is just plain black.

On the subject of home screens, I recently started using the zoomed view which makes the icons bigger. I prefer it because takes four fewer icons to completely fill the screen. I like my icons near the bottom where my thumb lives, but I also hate having too many apps on the screen, so it's a nice compromise. I wish we could choose zoomed mode for the home screen only.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Same sizes for the Pro, yeah.

The Air is thinner, lighter, faster (A12 processer vs. A10 in the base iPad), and has a noticeably better screen (10.5" vs 9.7", laminated, anti-reflective coating, wider color gamut). Also supports the Smart Keyboard, which the base iPad does not.
Ah so the iPad is just basically the entry level one, makes sense. I'd be more tempted to get a new Mini if the education discount was more than £20.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I like my phone to look like the marketing images so I keep the default wallpaper from the promo shots at the time and never rearrange icons

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm the same way, you just have to find something absolutely perfect. I've been using these for a few months,
xqMS9U1.png
cIifNwz.png

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Does streaming music or videos hurt the iPhone battery in anyway, including its longevity?

I've asked this before. I've posted this question on Apple Discussions. I asked people at the Genius Bar. And I've called Apple Tech support. Everyone keeps giving me different answers. 😡

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Does streaming music or videos hurt the iPhone battery in anyway, including its longevity?

I've asked this before. I've posted this question on Apple Discussions. I asked people at the Genius Bar. And I've called Apple Tech support. Everyone keeps giving me different answers. 😡
Everything hurts the battery. Being a battery must be awful. :(

But do you know what hurts a battery most? Not being used. All batteries die, but an idle battery dies in shame. Don't let it happen to yours - stream some videos!

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
In control center, ya know accessibilit,

what options do you guys use,

what do you guys have set for triple clicking power button.

at what point will people be walking around with Apple watches just recording audio all the time.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Any time you're using your phone you're killing the battery. Every percent drained is another part of a cycle.

The only solution is to stop worrying about it; it's not even worth it the mindshare.

Scalemail Ted

Oct 25, 2017
NOLA
I just got a new 15" MacBook Pro and was reading up on sidecar releasing on Catalina and was excited to couple this functionality with a 12.9" iPad Pro. Is it prudent to wait for the Sept announcements for a 2019 model, or should I just buy a 2018 model for $200 off? Catalina is not scheduled to release until late Sept as it were.

Deleted member 2474

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just got a new 15" MacBook Pro and was reading up on sidecar releasing on Catalina and was excited to couple this functionality with a 12.9" iPad Pro. Is it prudent to wait for the Sept announcements for a 2019 model, or should I just buy a 2018 model for $200 off? Catalina is not scheduled to release until late Sept as it were.

Unless you really care about the camera on your iPad, the new Pros aren't expected to be much different. The current model for $200 off will still be phenomenal.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

If you are streaming videos over your iPhone, you use it's battery. I don't understand what you mean tbh. If you use it you use it 🤷‍♂️

Presskohle

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

If you mean sending Youtube/Netflix etc. videos over to your TV, the hit to your battery is minimal. The phone just sends the commands, the actual 'work' is done by your TV (or whatever streaming device you are using).

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Finally got my iMac 2019 (i9, Vega, 1TB SSD) and it's beautiful.

But should I be concerned that the Geekbench score doesn't align fully with the benchmark on the site?

For example mine was as follows:

Single-Core Score: 6384
Multi-Core Score: 30254

Whereas this same spec shows the following as a benchmark:

Single-Core Score: 6278
Multi-Core Score: 34200

Higher single-core score whilst the multi-core score is lower?