• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Lol goddamn it, I'm obsessing over whether to get the Max or the regular version of 11 way too much right now. Just gonna have to visit a store later today and see if I can use the XS Max comfortably with one hand. If yes, I'll get the big one, if not, I'll have to be content with the smaller one. That's assuming 11 and 11 Max are gonna be the same size as XS/XS Max, but I believe we already know they are gonna be, right?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Lol goddamn it, I'm obsessing over whether to get the Max or the regular version of 11 way too much right now. Just gonna have to visit a store later today and see if I can use the XS Max comfortably with one hand. If yes, I'll get the big one, if not, I'll have to be content with the smaller one. That's assuming 11 and 11 Max are gonna be the same size as XS/XS Max, but I believe we already know they are gonna be, right?
Yep, new sizes are next year

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
Is Gboard's multilingual typing working for anyone? On my phone, the setting doesn't seem to do anything. I still have to manually switch between languages.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Man, went to the nearby store and just stood there, fondling the XS and the XS Max for like 10 minutes and the Max is just a bit too big for comfortable one-hand use. When two-handing it, it was fantastic and I'd love to get it, but I often use my phone with one hand when I'm out and about, so regular sized 11 it'll have to be. Oh well, at least it's a hundred euros cheaper lol, and still a major jump in display size from my 8. Actually a much bigger jump than I realized.

Out of curiosity decided to try some Android phones there too (Galaxy S10, mostly), and I dunno, iOS does definitely have a small handful of things where they could really improve when compared to Android, but the actual user experience is so much smoother and nicer to me that I'm not sure I'll ever switch back. It just looks and feels so much better. Should've checked if they had the newest OnePlus there though, I'm curious about high hz phones.

I managed to already forget about the notch during my very short time with the XS and the Max at the store, so clearly a nonissue too. It's not ideal for sure, but I can't believe people are still blowing up about that thing. I'm just gonna assume it's folks who for one reason or another, never post anything else in Apple/iPhone threads lol.

Last edited:

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Well I've hung onto a 6 and 6+ for the wife and myself.. and I need 2 phones for my kids finally.

I -might- wait another year for myself if the notch is going away, since I think it's annoying and I don't like to replace phones often.

In regard to the kids, what are we expecting to see happen that will make sense for them? I hate buying old tech but since I am buying at least 3 devices I hate to over pay as well.

Deleted member 31199

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Worth checking out a guide on installing your own RAM, you may be able to save some money that way, but it depends on your comfort level. Otherwise should be good (have the i7 and it's very nice). Do you have a 10 Gb LAN? I've only ever used 10Gb for trunking between switches at work.

I am definitely NOT comfortable, lol. I don't have 10 Gb LAN but it was more for future proofing and it is only $100 more.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently (all OLED):
5.4″
6.1″
6.7″

It's coming from a source with very good track record and it was reported just a few months ago, so chances are pretty good that's what we gonna see.
I wonder how much bigger they'd be able to get the screen on next year's Max by reducing the bezels without increasing the size of the phone.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
According to to the Apple website, it is $200 to go from 256 GB to 512 GB and another $200 to go to 1 TB. I didn't fill up much of my 256 GB drive on my 2014 mini but I am getting 512 on this one to be safe.

the 10Gb ethernet option on the mac mini really only exists for the data center and enterprise users who need it (macstadium, macminivault, etc.). not really much use for it as a home user honestly, even most fancy expensive wifi 6 home routers don't have 10Gb ethernet at this point. spend the $100 on applecare instead

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
the 10Gb ethernet option on the mac mini really only exists for the data center and enterprise users who need it (macstadium, macminivault, etc.). not really much use for it as a home user honestly, even most fancy expensive wifi 6 home routers don't have 10Gb ethernet at this point. spend the $100 on applecare instead

It's absolutely worth having 10GbE at home for use with a NAS.

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: Will I be able to use Parallels to install an older version of Mac OS to run 32 bit apps if I ever need to?

Last edited:

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I was browsing their website just the other day and I'm pretty sure they list that as a selling point haha

E. Found it, they did indeed. Might need to change the site language if it doesn't automatically. Bottom of the page https://www.parallels.com/de/blogs/jetzt-neu-parallels-desktop-15-fuer-mac/
Thanks. I have an older copy of parallels so I should be good. I might actually upgrade though once reviews for 15 come out and I know how DirectX 11 works on it.

Deleted member 31199

Banned
Nov 5, 2017

Oh Applecare was an absolute given.

Lakeside - What if I don't have any NAS?

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well I've hung onto a 6 and 6+ for the wife and myself.. and I need 2 phones for my kids finally.

I -might- wait another year for myself if the notch is going away, since I think it's annoying and I don't like to replace phones often.

In regard to the kids, what are we expecting to see happen that will make sense for them? I hate buying old tech but since I am buying at least 3 devices I hate to over pay as well.

We're just expecting price drops on older devices in that regard. 6Ses should be extremely inexpensive and still work great with iOS 13 (although they may be cut off next year). Otherwise, maybe used Xr devices will get significantly cheaper on eBay/Swappa.

There are always carrier-based trade in/upgrade/new line offers as well, which may be relevant.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
We're just expecting price drops on older devices in that regard. 6Ses should be extremely inexpensive and still work great with iOS 13 (although they may be cut off next year). Otherwise, maybe used Xr devices will get significantly cheaper on eBay/Swappa.

There are always carrier-based trade in/upgrade/new line offers as well, which may be relevant.

I'm more interested in what happens new. I haven't followed so I'm not sure if there is an expected cadence. Will the 8's drop into the 7 price slot?

We'll just buy new unlocked (any carrier) devices most likely. A carrier deal would be ehh b/c they always give the money back over time via credits to the bill. The way that my employer reimburses me for my cell service makes this weird. I'll have to think about this.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Using overcast on ios - switched from pocket casts mainly because it supported syncing to apple watch for offline playback if I don't have my phone with me.

How much worse is apple's podcasts app? Will that allow me to also stream podcasts on my watch (wifi/cellular) or do they still have to be synced? Overcast does a decent job of syncing but it does sometimes seem to not keep up wiht my listening habits (or the watch slow syncing maybe). I have an overcast complication on my watch face because someone mentioned that made the syncing more reliable. Woudl be nice not to need that.

I really need the ability to have different rules for different podcasts (eg how many episodes to keep), automatically add new downloads to the 'up next' queue for easy listening, and easily be able to rearrange that queue

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
How easy is it for me to output to HDMI (TV/monitor) from my late 2012 MBA?I guess some kind of dongle/adapter will be needed?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
how do you charge at night if you are sleep tracking?
I've been sleep tracking with my watch basically ever since I got one and charging it before going to bed while showering, getting ready, watching a movie/gaming/reading etc works out perfectly fine, especially with more recent models.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, Watch sleep tracking being officially announced at the event it seems: https://9to5mac.com/2019/09/02/appl...vealed-sleep-quality-battery-management-more/

Kinda curious how this will pan out, Series 5 (with artificially exclusive sleep tracking feature) after all?
Surprised it's took them so long to add this.
how do you charge at night if you are sleep tracking?
Says in the article it will remind you to charge it before using the sleep tracking.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Using overcast on ios - switched from pocket casts mainly because it supported syncing to apple watch for offline playback if I don't have my phone with me.

How much worse is apple's podcasts app? Will that allow me to also stream podcasts on my watch (wifi/cellular) or do they still have to be synced? Overcast does a decent job of syncing but it does sometimes seem to not keep up wiht my listening habits (or the watch slow syncing maybe). I have an overcast complication on my watch face because someone mentioned that made the syncing more reliable. Woudl be nice not to need that.

I really need the ability to have different rules for different podcasts (eg how many episodes to keep), automatically add new downloads to the 'up next' queue for easy listening, and easily be able to rearrange that queue

I hate the Apple Podcasts app and just use Overcast. The Watch sync is super basic but yes it can stream over cellular which Overcast can't (yet)

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I hate the Apple Podcasts app and just use Overcast. The Watch sync is super basic but yes it can stream over cellular which Overcast can't (yet)

is the next watchOS exposing streaming to devs or still not? Tbh I don't need it that often - worst case it'll have something synced even if it's not what i'm Currently listening to so not the end of the world

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
is the next watchOS exposing streaming to devs or still not? Tbh I don't need it that often - worst case it'll have something synced even if it's not what i'm Currently listening to so not the end of the world

Yes WatchOS 6 finally has a streaming API.

tbh I've found Overcast's Watch app to basically be nonfunctional unless you set the behavior to download all instead of stream. Then it springs to life and works exactly as you'd expect. That's also something that should be fixed when the Watch app becomes fully independent sometime within the next year

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping I'm just missing something but I don't think I am.

Apple really needs to allow you to have apps be exempt from do not disturb. I want to turn that on when I go to sleep so random notifications don't wake me up, but then that means my house alarm app will be completely silent. I want that waking me up at night, especially if I'm traveling. It blows my mind that don't give you that ability.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
That's a really good point. Does it not send text messages? You could add to your favourites which you can then allow through

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm hoping I'm just missing something but I don't think I am.

Apple really needs to allow you to have apps be exempt from do not disturb. I want to turn that on when I go to sleep so random notifications don't wake me up, but then that means my house alarm app will be completely silent. I want that waking me up at night, especially if I'm traveling. It blows my mind that don't give you that ability.
What alarm app do you use?

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Vivint. All the alerts are contained within the application. If you don't resolve the alarm via the app, then they do attempt to call me, but that still has a delay as they give you time to respond via the app.

So yeah, having app exemptions from DnD would be great, and something they should put in that really shouldn't be that difficult :/

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Speaking of alarms, it's amazing to me that the default Clock app still only has a nine-minute snooze time all these years later with no way to change it unless you set individual alarms for ten minute intervals. It's almost impressive how stubborn Apple can be when it comes to extremely simple feature additions that are years overdue. lol

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of alarms, it's amazing to me that the default Clock app still only has a nine-minute snooze time all these years later with no way to change it unless you set individual alarms for ten minute intervals. It's almost impressive how stubborn Apple can be when it comes to extremely simple feature additions that are years overdue. lol
On the other hand ... Does it really matter, though? Any amount of snooze duration is entirely arbitrary.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Eh he's right, it should be an option
But ... should it really?
Like, please tell me a use case where it really matters to have those "even" 10 minutes of snooze time on your alarm where 9 minutes wouldn't yield the same exact result :P

Like, i don't wanna go all "OMG SLIPPERY SLOPE", but i feel only meaningful things should be an option in operating systems that get more complex with every update.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Few questions as I start preparing to buy an iPhone in a few months:

1) Has Apple's device financing migrated from their old Barclays card to the Apple card or is it still with Barclays?

2) Does Apple provide any sort of email service? Like an @icloud email address? I thought they used to have @apple.com addresses long ago but I've been content with Gmail until my concerns about data privacy started to grow bigger last year and I kind of want to try and move to a more private service, but I haven't investigated Gmail alternatives since I started using it many years ago.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Like, please tell me a use case where it really matters to have those "even" 10 minutes of snooze time on your alarm where 9 minutes wouldn't yield the same exact result :P

Like, i don't wanna go all "OMG SLIPPERY SLOPE", but i feel only meaningful things should be an option in operating systems that get more complex with every update.

I mean sure if we are talking about a 1 minute difference, but what if you want to snooze for 15 minutes, or only 5 minutes?

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
That's a bit harsh, don't you think? That's quite a large group of people you're condemning from many religions
On the other hand ... Does it really matter, though? Any amount of snooze duration is entirely arbitrary.
Eh he's right, it should be an option

I thought the reason for 9 minute alarms was scientifically proven to be the best amount of time because it's enough time for you to get some more rest but not enough for you to fall into deep sleep? I dunno. It bugged me originally but now I don't care.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Few questions as I start preparing to buy an iPhone in a few months:

1) Has Apple's device financing migrated from their old Barclays card to the Apple card or is it still with Barclays?

2) Does Apple provide any sort of email service? Like an @icloud email address? I thought they used to have @apple.com addresses long ago but I've been content with Gmail until my concerns about data privacy started to grow bigger last year and I kind of want to try and move to a more private service, but I haven't investigated Gmail alternatives since I started using it many years ago.
You can have an [email protected] email address

as for financing it seems to still be tied to Barclays For most Apple store purchases. Though for direct iPhone upgrade program, the financing Is a loan done through Citizens One bank.