• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Few questions as I start preparing to buy an iPhone in a few months:

1) Has Apple's device financing migrated from their old Barclays card to the Apple card or is it still with Barclays?

2) Does Apple provide any sort of email service? Like an @icloud email address? I thought they used to have @apple.com addresses long ago but I've been content with Gmail until my concerns about data privacy started to grow bigger last year and I kind of want to try and move to a more private service, but I haven't investigated Gmail alternatives since I started using it many years ago.

1) financing is still done by Barclays, for the moment. The Apple Card terms and conditions get updated soon to include special provisions for financing so it's only a matter of time. As of right now the barclaycard ONLY does financing, the rewards got cut when the Apple Card released.

2) yes, you can have an @icloud.com email address, I use one. @apple.com is a thing but that's for employees of the company. You may also see @me.com and @mac.com depending on how far that particular account predates iCloud as a service. They've provided email since the first iMac, I believe. Maybe earlier?

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i would be very surprised if the new apple tv is anything but the most minor of refreshes.

even the apple tv hd -> 4k upgrade was indistinguishable aside from 4k/hdr support

Deleted member 2474

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You talk as if 4K/hdr support is some minor thing.

i mean, it doesn't really change how you use the device, it just gets you a better picture on compatible TVs. like, the apple tv 3 -> 4 transition was a paradigm shift in terms of software, hardware, feature set, etc. aside from maybe hdr10+ there's not really any new standard i'd expect a new apple tv to support either.

i would consider a "big" refresh to be, like, a redesigned remote, a mic array in the set-top box for homepod-style voice commands, something that changes how you use the device and not just what video formats it plays

infiniteloop

Oct 25, 2017
I could see them throwing the a12 in the Apple TV 4K as just a spec bump to justify the same price point.
Maybe move the a10 down to the HD.

I'd love to see a new/improved remote.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could see them throwing the a12 in the Apple TV 4K as just a spec bump to justify the same price point.
Maybe move the a10 down to the HD.

I'd love to see a new/improved remote.

I could see them marketing around their gaming services. A12 processor, comes with a controller, 3 months of Apple Arcade included. Call it "Apple TV Arcade".

Oct 25, 2017

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
i mean, it doesn't really change how you use the device, it just gets you a better picture on compatible TVs. like, the apple tv 3 -> 4 transition was a paradigm shift in terms of software, hardware, feature set, etc. aside from maybe hdr10+ there's not really any new standard i'd expect a new apple tv to support either.

i would consider a "big" refresh to be, like, a redesigned remote, a mic array in the set-top box for homepod-style voice commands, something that changes how you use the device and not just what video formats it plays
Totally with you.

Ever since the newest 'generation' of AppleTVs these spec bumps never added 'functionality'. Honestly, the biggest improvement was the white ring around the home button on the AppleTV 4K's remote.

So even if i had bought an AppleTV 2 weeks ago, i wouldn't feel all that bad if they refreshed the thing. I have yet to use an App on it that is not just some kind of video player (Netflix, Plex, Prime, ...)

Oct 25, 2017
New Apple TV hardware that makes it somewhat console competitive? Cool. New Apple TV hardware just to be a spec bump for a device that is already kind of overpowered? Eh.

Also, I love the current Apple TV remote, and I hope they don't change it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Do betas stop safari tab sync between iOS/iPad? Or is there a setting I'm missing somewhere? I can see tabs from my MBP on my iPhone, but can't see iPad tabs.

I sometimes use tabs instead of bookmarks for temp content - pop a tab on iPhone which I'll open on iPads when I get home

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Do betas stop safari tab sync between iOS/iPad? Or is there a setting I'm missing somewhere? I can see tabs from my MBP on my iPhone, but can't see iPad tabs.

I sometimes use tabs instead of bookmarks for temp content - pop a tab on iPhone which I'll open on iPads when I get home
No idea, but the whole continuity thing can be super wonky at times.

Like, for a few weeks now, my universal clipboard didn't work, and two days ago, i pulled the cord and just toggled iCloud off-and-on on my mac, which did fix it.

Sadly, signing out-of-and-back-into iCloud also screws with my Photos library (since i currently have 20gigs of free space on my macbook - but that is uncluding the uncompressed storage of my 50gig iCloud photo library).
So when i sign back into iCloud it thinks it might need up to 50gigs of free space, so it tells me i'll be needing to do the whole 'only store thumbnails and keep hi-res versions in the cloud' thing.
For that reason, whenever i have iCloud issues (which i rarely do, but still) i just delete the "Photos Library" altogether.

So, long story short: For getting a feature to work again that allows me to copy and paste text from one device to another device literally 5 inches away, i re-downloaded 50 gigs of Photos from iCloud.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017

No, it simply doesn't work on beta devices. Has been the case for me as long as I remember

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
No idea, but the whole continuity thing can be super wonky at times.

Like, for a few weeks now, my universal clipboard didn't work, and two days ago, i pulled the cord and just toggled iCloud off-and-on on my mac, which did fix it.

Sadly, signing out-of-and-back-into iCloud also screws with my Photos library (since i currently have 20gigs of free space on my macbook - but that is uncluding the uncompressed storage of my 50gig iCloud photo library).
So when i sign back into iCloud it thinks it might need up to 50gigs of free space, so it tells me i'll be needing to do the whole 'only store thumbnails and keep hi-res versions in the cloud' thing.
For that reason, whenever i have iCloud issues (which i rarely do, but still) i just delete the "Photos Library" altogether.

So, long story short: For getting a feature to work again that allows me to copy and paste text from one device to another device literally 5 inches away, i re-downloaded 50 gigs of Photos from iCloud.

There is a universal clipboard!? That'd be a lifesaver sometimes to avoid emailing myself links etc. Will check it out, thanks

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
There is a universal clipboard!? That'd be a lifesaver sometimes to avoid emailing myself links etc. Will check it out, thanks

It's like, the best feature, and it works with text AND images.

Like, i just did "copy image" on my mac, pasted the image within the iPhone's notes app, took a screenshot, uploaded that to imgur with my share sheet shortcut - which also copies the images URL to the clipboard, which i could then paste right here on the mac.
It's great - when it works.

D0ZHE0D.png

i mostly use it because i manage our business' social media pages and it's easiest to just post from the phone's instagram app (which then cross posts to Facebook) - but writing the text (and all those hashtags!) is just so much easier on my mac.

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
this and the automatic 2 factor code insertion are the true goat features of having a Mac and an iPhone imo.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
this and the automatic 2 factor code insertion are the true goat features of having a Mac and an iPhone imo.

You mean from SMS messages? I'm not sure I've ever seen that on Mac but it is great on my ipad. I need to have a play - may be an issue with th work wifi network makes it less effective

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a note taking app on ipad that will index/make searchable any/all of the following:
- typed text in the app (I assume all will)
- handwritten text in the app (notability and goodnotes both seem to)
- scanned documents (I'm ok scanning in another app if necessary, even doing OCR in the other app but needs to be insertable as a page/pdf maintaining layout/drawings etc)
- audio recorded during note taking (I think one note on surface does this but I'm looking at ipad solutions)

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a note taking app on ipad that will index/make searchable any/all of the following:
- typed text in the app (I assume all will)
- handwritten text in the app (notability and goodnotes both seem to)
- scanned documents (I'm ok scanning in another app if necessary, even doing OCR in the other app but needs to be insertable as a page/pdf maintaining layout/drawings etc)
- audio recorded during note taking (I think one note on surface does this but I'm looking at ipad solutions)

My girlfriend uses GoodNotes and it definitely indexes both typed text as well as handwritten text (with impressive accuracy. I believe it indexes multiple 'interpretations' of handwritten words; which might create some false positives, but definitely improves search effectivity)

We haven't tried text from scanned documents, but apparently it does that too.

No idea if any of these apps transcribe audio recordings.

Yep, works great across my devices

where it doesn't work it's usually because Apple doesn't recognize the SMS as some kind of 2FA SMS and can therefore not parse it. Like, it knows Google and stuff, but it doesn't recognize the TAN-SMS i get for signing visa payments.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they get a better 3D logo too :P

Nifty to see old software keep chugging, though. Haven't used it personally since... 2004?

I still don't understand why Apple never included basic FTP and SFTP service integrated directly into the GUI finder. It's already there basically fully coded into the OS since OSX. You can do it from the command line. You can do "connect to server" from the "Go" menu, but they lock that to "read only access".

For some reason Apple decided years ago to lock away read and write FTP access from the GUI interface in MacOS....

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It reads like a spec bumped iPhone 8 instead of a real SE 2.

SE was just a 6s in tight clothing so I'm not sure what people are realistically expecting from an SE2. Maybe some are hoping for edge to edge OLED Face ID etc. But SE was designed to be low cost more than small size. So you won't get the latest and greatest. A13 is already more than I'd have expected in it but that may be supply chain convenience or 7nm power saving benefits over performance requirements.

If it has enough ram it'll be a good option to replace my wife's SE around this time next year - or whenever the SE/6s starts to struggle with iOS (still seems fine, my son has a 6s, my daughter and wife both SEs).

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I hate the poor material quality of the Smart Keyboard Folio. I love the typing on it and the general form and function but its beyond me why these are of such poor quality. Sucks there are no better alternatives. Mine has developed tons of wrinkles over the summer. Just cosmetic (for now) but still bums me out. Glad I didn't pay anywhere near MSRP.

Last edited:

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
SE was just a 6s in tight clothing so I'm not sure what people are realistically expecting from an SE2. Maybe some are hoping for edge to edge OLED Face ID etc. But SE was designed to be low cost more than small size. So you won't get the latest and greatest. A13 is already more than I'd have expected in it but that may be supply chain convenience or 7nm power saving benefits over performance requirements.

If it has enough ram it'll be a good option to replace my wife's SE around this time next year - or whenever the SE/6s starts to struggle with iOS (still seems fine, my son has a 6s, my daughter and wife both SEs).

Well, maybe by Apple, the SE was designed to be low cost.

I'd be willing to bet it was received so well to a large degree because it was small ... and light and felt relatively durable.

An iPhone 8 based "SE" misses that mark entirely. You have a full glass slab that is way larger than the previous SE, that (arguably) looks outdated at release, and - while beign the 'cheapest' iPhone is still going to be around ... 600 bucks?

Deleted member 2474

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i would strongly bet the people who want an SE specifically because it's small are a very small but very vocal minority. if there was a substantial market for 4" smartphones then companies would make them. the fact that the entire industry has abandoned the form factor should speak volumes about how little money they see in it.

an iphone 8 with an a13 for $400 will do just fine.