• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Is it my weak Mac mini CPU or does Adobe Acrobat just suck ass performance-wise when editing the text in PDFs? At least under certain conditions that is

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
Is it my weak Mac mini CPU or does Adobe Acrobat just suck ass performance-wise when editing the text in PDFs? At least under certain conditions that is
Acrobat has sucked forever, and it's worst on Macs. Avoid, if possible, but if you're editing fields in a form, you're likely stuck with it.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
The more I used my over ear headphones, the more I hate them. I like in-ears way more but they need noise canceling. Problem is, I wish I could purchase in-ear noise caneling that were like airpods. I would get the Sony headphones but they don't work like the airpods or beats pro wireless... and I know I hate the around the area thing that the beats pro has.

Decisions, decisions.

Oct 29, 2017
The more I used my over ear headphones, the more I hate them. I like in-ears way more but they need noise canceling. Problem is, I wish I could purchase in-ear noise caneling that were like airpods. I would get the Sony headphones but they don't work like the airpods or beats pro wireless... and I know I hate the around the area thing that the beats pro has.

Decisions, decisions.

The Sony's are excellent if you want in-ear. Unfortunately it looks like in-ear just doesn't work for me, I find that style really itchy and uncomfortable and so I stick to AirPods for portability and over-ear Sony's when I'm in work.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
The Sony's are excellent if you want in-ear. Unfortunately it looks like in-ear just doesn't work for me, I find that style really itchy and uncomfortable and so I stick to AirPods for portability and over-ear Sony's when I'm in work.

Right, I think I want the airpods for portability these days. I might grab them although they are annoying when I am taking the train.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Airpods would need a major redesign for noise cancelling I think. The on-ear design which makes them so comfortable also lets outside noise in. I don't think you can do on-ear+noise cancelling.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
how do u get sapphire glass? Cellular or stainless steel?

my used s3 has both and the sapphire glass has held up way better than her aluminum. But I can't find online if it's the stainless steel that adds the better glass, or has Apple made all models have the better glass yet?

pretty sure I'm going to sell some stuff and switch from s3 to an s5. I've come to realize i Want the s4 bump, but the always on is a game changer, and I'm going to have to just eat the cost, and worst case next year I gotta sell it used and get the new one, but SS and Cellular should hold value a lil better, stays better shape, looks dope, more featured. Ibe come to realize if I'm lugging this thing on my wrist or putting it on my grandparents it's just gotta have cellular or i don't get to really lose my phone as much as I want to

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
If you don't need to act immediately, there's supposedly airpods with noise canceling coming soonish (at a more expensive price point though)

Is that a rumor or is that something that is pretty set in stone? I know the airpods are on sale at the moment, I am willing to spend more if they are really noise canceling.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Is that a rumor or is that something that is pretty set in stone? I know the airpods are on sale at the moment, I am willing to spend more if they are really noise canceling.
It's just a rumor, but coming from multiple reliable sources – and sorry, after reading up on it again, it seems as if these are now rumored to happen for 2020 instead of late 2019. :(

Kinda want those too for on the train. I don't dislike my over ears but they are too big for everyday travel.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
K random and longshot inquiry but does anyone have any experience with iPads and hearing aids/T-Coils?

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Kind of need a quick response but worst case I'll get to google.

I want to take a note on my iPad at work. But I want the Apple note to sync to my iPhone as fast as possible so when I just have my phone I can reference it but with no wifi I'm guessing this won't work

Is this something not possible with no wifi connection. Would putting my iPad on a personal hotspot from phone work? But than that would drop connection every time my phone left Bluetooth range of the iPad? Is that how any of this works lol

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sitting here thinking about selling my pristine S4 Black Stainless watch to get the always on display. It's so dumb but here I am.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
It's just a rumor, but coming from multiple reliable sources – and sorry, after reading up on it again, it seems as if these are now rumored to happen for 2020 instead of late 2019. :(

Kinda want those too for on the train. I don't dislike my over ears but they are too big for everyday travel.

Yeah, exactly my issue with them.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I hate how there is absolutely no consistency with the smaller overlay windows you get on iPad now. In Apple standard apps, you can now swipe down to dismiss them in ios 13, which is cool. Some third party apps like Timery have their own implementation from before that and other apps (even those that have been updated for ios 13) like Tweetbot just ignore the swipe gesture altogether. ugh

cjp

Oct 29, 2017
Text formatting on iOS 13 Mail (and probably everywhere else) is a complete clusterfuck.

Copying text from anywhere into Mail brings the formatting with it and there's no way to paste it as plain text.

But I can't get the pasted text to match the rest of the email as the font for that is "default font" which isn't even available in the font picker when the pasted text is selected.

Couldn't even copy and paste from spotlight search in an effort for plain text because that ends up being Helvetica at 0.fuck all font size.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
I've run into my first issue with my AirPods. Sometimes the 'pause when removing an airpod' thing doesn't work. I'll have to repair them to work again..anyone else experienced this?

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I've run into my first issue with my AirPods. Sometimes the 'pause when removing an airpod' thing doesn't work. I'll have to repair them to work again..anyone else experienced this?

I've def had that happen but on betas so paid no mind.

I did have mine super quiet so I followed a guide online to recalibrate the sound and worked perfect after.

I can't wait to be on normal 13.1, hopefully next week if Apple keeps up this update pace.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

Just to be sure - it happens in the same apps and under the same conditions where it worked before? There's software that doesn't use Apple's "media controls", like Google Chrome. And for me, it often (always?) doesn't work when using listening to podcasts via Overcast on the AppleWatch, with the Airpods directly connected to the watch.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Just to be sure - it happens in the same apps and under the same conditions where it worked before? There's software that doesn't use Apple's "media controls", like Google Chrome. And for me, it often (always?) doesn't work when using listening to podcasts via Overcast on the AppleWatch, with the Airpods directly connected to the watch.

I've had it happen twice, though I don't remember if there was a certain' trigger' app where it stopped working the first time.

I do know the second time it didn't work while I was watching a movie through Vudu. However in both instances once it stops responding correctly it does not work in any app; third party or Apple. I can get it working again either by putting them back in the case and re connecting them or if that doesn't do it then by Forgetting the airpods entirely in bluetooth settings and resetting the airpods (by the button on back) and then pairing them again with my ipad or phone.

They basically stop pausing or will not start playing again when putting back in my ear. Or there will be a delay but will eventually restart playing sound.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I've had it happen twice, though I don't remember if there was a certain' trigger' app where it stopped working the first time.

I do know the second time it didn't work while I was watching a movie through Vudu. However in both instances once it stops responding correctly it does not work in any app; third party or Apple. I can get it working again either by putting them back in the case and re connecting them or if that doesn't do it then by Forgetting the airpods entirely in bluetooth settings and resetting the airpods (by the button on back) and then pairing them again with my ipad or phone.

They basically stop pausing or will not start playing again when putting back in my ear. Or there will be a delay but will eventually restart playing sound.
ok, that sounds like a proper defect.

Just wanted to help prevent a possible misdiagnosis.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, fuck, i forgot that MeMojis got better with iOS 13 - i can finally wear one(!) AirPod and there's glasses that match my IRL ones better (slightly thinner rim).

LabW1qh.png

mPxLETD.png

Sweet. #Innovation

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I see the Steam app finally got an update to support the "new" iPhone screen sizes three after they've been out.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas

Happens to me. Sometimes the detection just doesn't work. I'd say it's 90% for me.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I really wish refurb iPhone X were down to like $500 and then I could probably justify one. My iPhone SE is finally starting to act up due to the age of its battery and I feel like that $50 I would spend on replacing the battery could just be rolled into a new phone instead.

If refurb iPhone 8 ever come back into stock I might just nab one of those. They're down to $379 and I figure even if I end up selling it for the 2020 iPhone it may not be an awful deal.

I could probably even sell my iPhone SE for $50-$100 to help cover some of the cost.

Edit: The ultimate irony is that the iPhone 8 released in September 2017 and I bought my SE at its refresh in March 2017, so I'd be "upgrading" to a phone that's technically only six months newer. Yikes.

Fuck I just wish it was 2020 already. Where's my time machine when I need it?

Edit 2: What the hell am I thinking? All these phones are way too big. I'm just waiting it out for 2020. I'll ride out my current battery for another month or two and then schedule a battery replacement once the new phone fervor has died down.

Edit 3: Didn't make a single claim on my Applecare+ while it was active and of course now that I need a battery replacement it's expired. Wish Apple would at least cut me a discount on a battery replacement but I don't forsee that happening, heh.

Last edited:

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish refurb iPhone X were down to like $500 and then I could probably justify one. My iPhone SE is finally starting to act up due to the age of its battery and I feel like that $50 I would spend on replacing the battery could just be rolled into a new phone instead.

If refurb iPhone 8 ever come back into stock I might just nab one of those. They're down to $379 and I figure even if I end up selling it for the 2020 iPhone it may not be an awful deal.

I could probably even sell my iPhone SE for $50-$100 to help cover some of the cost.

Edit: The ultimate irony is that the iPhone 8 released in September 2017 and I bought my SE at its refresh in March 2017, so I'd be "upgrading" to a phone that's technically only six months newer. Yikes.

Fuck I just wish it was 2020 already. Where's my time machine when I need it?

Edit 2: What the hell am I thinking? All these phones are way too big. I'm just waiting it out for 2020. I'll ride out my current battery for another month or two and then schedule a battery replacement once the new phone fervor has died down.

wasn't the SE like an A9 while the 8 is an A11? Six months or no, if so I would think the jump between the two hardware wise is more substantial than that.

And is this a thing where you used something the 8 size for a while and just didn't like it, or more you just are worried it will be too 'big' because you are used to SE size?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
wasn't the SE like an A9 while the 8 is an A11? Six months or no, if so I would think the jump between the two hardware wise is more substantial than that.

And is this a thing where you used something the 8 size for a while and just didn't like it, or more you just are worried it will be too 'big' because you are used to SE size?

My wife has a XR, which is almost comically too big, and she had an iPhone 6 prior, which was also too big for my tastes.

I just prefer the SE size. I'm not the kind of person that lives and breathes by their phone so the fact that it's so compact and "out of the way" is a huge selling point.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
My wife has a XR, which is almost comically too big, and she had an iPhone 6 prior, which was also too big for my tastes.

I just prefer the SE size. I'm not the kind of person that lives and breathes by their phone so the fact that it's so compact and "out of the way" is a huge selling point.

i get it. out of curiosity did you ever try using, say, the 6 (I agree if you are really used to the SE the XR is a hell of a jump) for any substantial amount of time?

My wife very much does not like big phones but she got used to the 6/8 size fairly quickly once she used it and is pretty happy with it.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I have to constantly remind me that I can not swipe to type lol. Is there Any stock way to Insert a comma or question mark using swipe? Really breaks the flow. Guess I could setup a text replacement.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Anybody ever use the "Horipad Ultimate Wireless Game Controller"?

At $30 it's looking to be the cheapest entrypoint for getting a game controller up and running with my Apple TV.

HJ172

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018

At $30 it's looking to be the cheapest entrypoint for getting a game controller up and running with my Apple TV.

Per the Amazon listing, here's its inputs:

Dual analog control, four face buttons, four shoulder buttons, and D-pad. Wireless Bluetooth technology and rechargeable battery.

There's no explicit mention of the thumbstick buttons (L3/R3), and the initial run of MFi controllers didn't have them (including the SteelSeries Nimbus, probably the most well-received of those controllers), so there's a good chance this controller doesn't have them. For that reason, I'm hesitant to recommend it.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

HJ172

It's shit. Uncomfortable to hold. It's cheap, yeah, so if that's your primary focus then go for it. But otherwise any other controller will be better

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
[/QUOTE]
Per the Amazon listing, here's its inputs:

There's no explicit mention of the thumbstick buttons (L3/R3), and the initial run of MFi controllers didn't have them (including the SteelSeries Nimbus, probably the most well-received of those controllers), so there's a good chance this controller doesn't have them. For that reason, I'm hesitant to recommend it.

It's shit. Uncomfortable to hold. It's cheap, yeah, so if that's your primary focus then go for it. But otherwise any other controller will be better

Well, shit, Hori is typically known for their quality products.

Not crazy about paying $50 for the Nimbus, so I'll just keep my eyes out and hope someone else brings something to market.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Well, shit, Hori is typically known for their quality products.

Not crazy about paying $50 for the Nimbus, so I'll just keep my eyes out and hope someone else brings something to market.
Sorry if I missed anything in your posts, but why don't you just buy an Xbox One (with BT) or PS4 controller? Surely you can find a new one at a good price from a bundle or something on ebay

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Sorry if I missed anything in your posts, but why don't you just buy an Xbox One (with BT) or PS4 controller? Surely you can find a new one at a good price from a bundle or something on ebay

I'm just in this shitty situation where I'm not crazy about buying a controller specifically for Apple TV and iOS use, as it's more of a curiosity thing than something I'll play regularly.

I have a Wii U Pro Controller, but it doesn't work with iOS, tvOS, or even my Mac, so that doesn't help. I don't own a Switch Pro Controller, but I'd much rather buy one of those as it does at least work with my Mac and Switch, but doesn't work with iOS and tvOS, so there's no perfect solution here.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just in this shitty situation where I'm not crazy about buying a controller specifically for Apple TV and iOS use, as it's more of a curiosity thing than something I'll play regularly.

I have a Wii U Pro Controller, but it doesn't work with iOS, tvOS, or even my Mac, so that doesn't help. I don't own a Switch Pro Controller, but I'd much rather buy one of those as it does at least work with my Mac and Switch, but doesn't work with iOS and tvOS, so there's no perfect solution here.

Right - but I think the point was if you're willing to pay $30 for one, you may be able to find a good quality used or discounted DS4/XB1 controller