• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
Is anyone having issues with the Podcast app on iOS 13? I keep getting "download failed" when the circle fills.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
maximumzero The X is smaller than the X-R, I really like the size.

also, with all that Apple hardware, I think your crazy not to buy yourself a nice Xbox controller. It's the way Apple is going and the price is a steal. You already have the hardware. It's not like I'm saying buy the Elite v2. The Switch Pro controller is the second best controller to the Xbox one if only for the d-pad. Odd that Nintendo doesn't ever win on the d-pad war.

also I will save you some research, the X iPhone is awesome and if you are like me I just buy them used, cheaper. Just get enough gb to download all the Apple Arcade games to your phone ;)

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
So it looks like Sleep Cycle have discontinued their watch app which is pretty annoying as I used it every night. From what I can see they didn't even say in any of their update notes that it was gone, I just found out when I looked at their Twitter replies.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
So it looks like Sleep Cycle have discontinued their watch app which is pretty annoying as I used it every night. From what I can see they didn't even say in any of their update notes that it was gone, I just found out when I looked at their Twitter replies.

i would suggest just download autosleep. I haves used it for like a year now and it's very good, takes just a lil input here and there to calibrate but if You need one I would grab it,

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Noise app is coming to S3 just not right away

first I heard this, Really? Makes sense given they are still going to sell the s3 so they kind of need to support it by why would it ever be later, odd.
i mean, I'm glad bc as much I want an s5 I'lol be waiting to some discount Bc it's such a small upgrade year it's gunna happen, but to have this feature at work will be nice and I'm sure that's apples thinking...

cjp

Oct 29, 2017
watchOS 6 still doesn't silently put notifications in the Notification Center when DND is enabled. Why doesn't it work the same way as it does on iOS?

Imagine if enabling DND on your iPhone stopped notifications altogether so when you're finished and come to turn it off you have zero idea of anything that's happened because the Notification Center is completely empty.

So whenever I'm done with DND on the watch I have to pull out my phone to check what I've missed in the meantime. How does this work with cellular models if you leave your phone at home? Check the apps manually on the watch to see if anything has updated? Crazy.

Noise app is coming to S3 just not right away

No, it's not.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
When are Homepod and tvOS updates going out?

I thought I heard a rumour HomePod was going to be done in iOS13.1 but haven't heard anything since so maybe it's delayed if not 13.1 on the 24th?

I can't wait for the HomePod update.

I did find the TV update is coming the 30th along with Apple Arcade. Mac stuff next month.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
i wonder if they're holding back Catalina for some yet-to-be-announced October event that'll also be the announcement of the rumored 16" Macbook Pro

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I can't add shortcuts people made and when I try to fix the security settings my phone says is wrong the screen doesn't exist this guide recommends. Odd

luca

Oct 25, 2017
So, I got family member who has an aging iPad 2, and I've found that it is extremely slow and lags a lot. Would it help if I do a complete factory reset of the device? Or have these older models just gotten this slow with time? I think I read somewhere that Apple had purposefully made old devices slower.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
So, I got family member who has an aging iPad 2, and I've found that it is extremely slow and lags a lot. Would it help if I do a complete factory reset of the device? Or have these older models just gotten this slow with time? I think I read somewhere that Apple had purposefully made old devices slower.

People like to have conspiracy stories. The truth is that OS' move on.. apps move on. I think the iPad 2 had 512MB of RAM. That's paltry by today's standards and likely the biggest issue. The older CPU/GPU won't help.

Whether a reset might help.. I doubt it. You could always do an iCloud backup and try it though, not much to lose.

There was an instance where Apple gimped performance of certain phones to prevent issues associated with poor battery health. I think they added a toggle switch due to backlash. That said, the theory that Apple intentionally gimps devices predates thst.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
People like to have conspiracy stories. The truth is that OS' move on.. apps move on. I think the iPad 2 had 512MB of RAM. That's paltry by today's standards and likely the biggest issue. The older CPU/GPU won't help.

Whether a reset might help.. I doubt it. You could always do an iCloud backup and try it though, not much to lose.

There was an instance where Apple gimped performance of certain phones to prevent issues associated with poor battery health. I think they added a toggle switch due to backlash. That said, the theory that Apple intentionally gimps devices predates thst.
Alright, thanks for the clarification. I'll try to reset it, and look for that toggle you talk about. It won't hurt to try. :)

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018

The iPad 2 (assuming you mean the actual iPad 2, and not the iPad Air 2 or Mini 2) is from 2011, so it's got an old CPU and not enough RAM for new software. More worryingly, its last system software release is from mid-2016, so you're missing ~3 years of security patches -- you're better off trading it in for recycling at this spoint.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
The iPad 2 (assuming you mean the actual iPad 2, and not the iPad Air 2 or Mini 2) is from 2011, so it's got an old CPU and not enough RAM for new software. More worryingly, its last system software release is from mid-2016, so you're missing ~3 years of security patches -- you're better off trading it in for recycling at this spoint.
It's the actual iPad 2. And no, won't trade it in for recycling, as that would leave the person with nothing. Not too bothered with lack of security patches, hell I rock a Huawei myself. It's also mostly used for Candy Crush and Facebook these days. I'll try a reset and if that doesn't improve the speed slightly, then that's fine.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Word of warning, the new Safari update out today for Mac is the one that kills uBlock Origin.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Me and the wife picked up SS Cellular Series 5.

We really took to our S3 and the always on was a game changer and now that I have it on it is, for me.

But I'm a power user. S3 is still a great watch and s4 is amazing if you can skip the always on.

The always on is already making me happy with the purchase. Let alone the s3- s4 jump

Oct 25, 2017
Word of warning, the new Safari update out today for Mac is the one that kills uBlock Origin.
The thing I hate is that it doesn't list all the extensions that died. I forgot some that I had installed and all it said to me after the update was "1Password and 3 other extensions" and like, what are the three others?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, also Tampermonkey, jumped back to Chrome as I can't not have a bare minimum of extendability only to recall how resource hungry it is
Thankfully the dev of Tampermonkey is making good progress. It was the only extension I used that got killed but all the fuckery that apple is doing with Safari extensions will hopefully be settled for a while now.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
So are no ad blockers working under the new version of Safari, or is it just that the extensions need an update? I use 1 Blocker X on my phone/iPad but I don't know if I need to change anything or not.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I got an iPad Air 3 today, and gave my Air 2 to my dad.

However, I think I did something stupid; I didn't remove the 13.1 beta profile from the Air 2 before I formatted it. Now, when I set up the Air 2 for my dad, it gave me a warning about pre-release software always sending data to Apple, and it isn't listed in General > Profiles to be able to remove the beta profile. Software Update lists the software as "iPadOS 13.1".

What will happen in this situation? Will the Air 2 get the update to 13.1 general release on the 24th? Or will it be stuck on the beta channel, or get no updates at all?

Would it help if I re-enrolled the Air 2 for the beta, reinstalled the beta profile and then immediately removed it via settings?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I got an iPad Air 3 today, and gave my Air 2 to my dad.

However, I think I did something stupid; I didn't remove the 13.1 beta profile from the Air 2 before I formatted it. Now, when I set up the Air 2 for my dad, it gave me a warning about pre-release software always sending data to Apple, and it isn't listed in General > Profiles to be able to remove the beta profile. Software Update lists the software as "iPadOS 13.1".

What will happen in this situation? Will the Air 2 get the update to 13.1 general release on the 24th? Or will it be stuck on the beta channel, or get no updates at all?

Would it help if I re-enrolled the Air 2 for the beta, reinstalled the beta profile and then immediately removed it via settings?
Weird situation, it might just be that it was restored to the beta thus giving the warning but is now listening on the stable channel. Easy way to check would be if you didn't already update to beta 4 that hit yesterday. If you didn't and it says there are no updates, you're on the stable channel. Try checking build numbers. I think the devices always need an installed beta profile to listen for beta OTA updates.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Weird situation, it might just be that it was restored to the beta thus giving the warning but is now listening on the stable channel. Easy way to check would be if you didn't already update to beta 4 that hit yesterday. If you didn't and it says there are no updates, you're on the stable channel. Try checking build numbers. I think the devices always need an installed beta profile to listen for beta OTA updates.
Thank you! I think I did update it yesterday, so it may be on beta 4 already, but possibly not - I double checked the build numbers just now - the Air 2 is on 13.1 (17A5837a) and says no updates available when checking, while the Air 3, on the latest beta as of today, is showing 13.1 (17A5844a). Hopefully the Air 3 showing a higher number means I'm in luck and the Air 2 has defaulted to the stable channel.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I got my 11 Pro Max today and I'm trying to use the iPhone Migration Tool to transfer my data from my Xs Max. I have been sitting at the screen where it says "it may take a few minutes to activate your iPhone" forever. I got a text message on my old phone from T-Mobile saying that the SIM card for my phone number changed so it seems like they acknowledge that I've at least gotten that far, but I'm not really sure what I should do at this point as it seems like it's never going to move past that screen on my new phone.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I got my phone, it's awesome but I never ordered a case and idk if i want the leather case. Shoot... I need a light weight case with a clear back tbh

lupin23rd

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone seen any oddness with activity data (potentially related to iOS upgrades)?
I had some issues updating my iPhone 8 to iOS 13, and earlier today did a restore from backup.
It seems like all the data is there - I can see all my data in the History, however the app seems to think that I have a 35 day Move streak (it should be 175ish days), and also I am missing some badges, and cannot see the current monthly challenge.
When I opened the app earlier today, it seemed like it was trying to restore a couple times, maybe I went out of wifi and caused some issues.
Thinking of restoring again, although wondering if it might somehow lose my data for today (whether or not it fixes the above problems), and curious if anyone has seen / solved similar issues.
The one thing I did notice before the upgrade was one of my badges (earth day) was showing some odd code string like MONTHLY_CHALLENGE for the last few days, so maybe the app is wacky without the upgrade.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
The Apple leather case would be a reason that I'd get the 11 Pro. I've had a leather case on my 6 Plus since launch and it's still awesome.

true, I might grab it again. I want the black but it turns blue I think.

Also, anyone hVe T-Mobile? I got this new phone and it says that it takes a few minutes to activate my iPhone but it's been awhile now....