• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I start fresh pretty much every major update. iCloud syncing (especially now that iMessage is included) makes this an easier choice.

harder part is redownloading apps and other setup. But honestly I kind of enjoy doing that

i'd quite like an option to 'restore apps only from backup' - so after a freaky iOS install it'd just reinstall the apps I had previously.just to save time

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I like a fresh install. Whenever I do it I install the apps I absolutely can't live without (usually no more than a handful) and then I install the others as and when I find a need for them.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever i get a new phone (every 2 years) i do a fresh install. New Phone, new apps, new home screen.

When i skip a generation, i just do an update and change my wallpaper :/

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
My main desire is for an Overcast catalyst app - maybe with a mini player.
(I know, there's a web client...)

And Heartfeed - my goto news reader app.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I installed the Jira app and I hope thats not the future of desktop applications in MacOS. Because it's just an iOS app optimized for an iPad, not a big screen.

Very disappointing tbh.
Twitter app is exactly the same as the iOS version but without any ads in the timeline.
My main desire is for an Overcast catalyst app - maybe with a mini player.
(I know, there's a web client...)

And Heartfeed - my goto news reader app.
The Overcast dev said a Mac catalyst app was coming but it sounds like it'll be a while. He posted this on his blog in July
But first, I need to set low expectations for iOS 13, watchOS 6, and macOS Catalina updates this fall. Halfway through the summer, I've made much less progress than expected, having been overwhelmed by the required OS changes, my own technical and design debts, and unusually rough betas.

Rather than shipping a big iOS update, a standalone Watch app, and a Mac app on day one, these will probably come incrementally over the next year.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Tried the twitter application, too. This can't be the new direction. Did no one try to resize the window? It looks hilarious.

I'm not too deep into Xcode, iOS and MacOS development, but is this the developers fault or does Apple not provide the necessary tools?

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tried the twitter application, too. This can't be the new direction. Did no one try to resize the window? It looks hilarious.

I'm not too deep into Xcode, iOS and MacOS development, but is this the developers fault or does Apple not provide the necessary tools?

from what i've seen/heard it is an absolute pain in the ass to make an iOS/catalyst app integrate and feel "native" on the mac without a whole lot of work and hackery at the moment, the toolset just isn't there

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017

It doesn't even support swiping gestures to get back to the main timeline! Bizarre. The maximum font size is still too small as well.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017

This was obvious from the get-to. Catalyst will open the floodgates for thousands and thousands of shitty iOS ports.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Okay, so I've been on Android since 2008, but just got my first iPhone (like new XS Max 256gb for $650 on eBay, couldn't pass it up...)

I'm really liking it so far, but this Battery Health feature is scaring me a bit. It was at 98% 3 days ago, and is now at 96%. I've been charging it overnight only, (a full charge seems to get me through the day perfectly) which I'm starting to worry is a bad thing.

Any tips on this? Thanks!

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so I've been on Android since 2008, but just got my first iPhone (like new XS Max 256gb for $650 on eBay, couldn't pass it up...)

I'm really liking it so far, but this Battery Health feature is scaring me a bit. It was at 98% 3 days ago, and is now at 96%. I've been charging it overnight only, (a full charge seems to get me through the day perfectly) which I'm starting to worry is a bad thing.

It's just an estimate, don't stress about it. Apple should never have introduced this, people obsess about it equally as much as "knowing" the percentage of their battery lol. But I guess they had no choice after the whole down clocking situation was blown out of proportion. 96-98 is pretty great for a one year+ old phone.

–––

I just got the Logitech MX Master 3 in the mail which I want to use for some tasks that I don't like the trackpad for. Is anyone using it on Catalina? I have connected it via bluetooth but the Logitech Options software doesn't detect it (mouse works just fine apart from that).

E: Okay, seems like this has been broken for months in the Catalina beta and Logitech hasn't fixed it. I almost feel like immediately returning the product considering that great software support lol

Last edited:

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
If I want to do a factory reset to try and fix battery problems, can I do a factory reset and then restore a backup, or would that defeat the purpose of doing a reset?

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It is probably me being paranoid, but I have never left my phone charging overnight, and I have never had battery issues with any iPhone. It would seem healthier to top up each night before bed, until it hits 100% then disconnect. You only lose a couple of % overnight anyway. I know it is supposed to stop charging even if plugged in, when it hits max, but I feel safer having it not be over night.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
It is probably me being paranoid, but I have never left my phone charging overnight, and I have never had battery issues with any iPhone. It would seem healthier to top up each night before bed, until it hits 100% then disconnect. You only lose a couple of % overnight anyway. I know it is supposed to stop charging even if plugged in, when it hits max, but I feel safer having it not be over night.

It's totally unnecessary with iOS13. It now learns when you wake, and instead of trickle charging to keep it topped off, it keeps it at 80% or so and tops off in time for you to use the device.

That avoids the small but additive charge cycles from trickle charging through the night as it drains a little bit.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's totally unnecessary with iOS13. It now learns when you wake, and instead of trickle charging to keep it topped off, it keeps it at 80% or so and tops off in time for you to use the device.

That avoids the small but additive charge cycles from trickle charging through the night as it drains a little bit.

Good to know I don't have to worry any more. It doesn't really benefit me to change though, but glad they are still working on this area.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Are there still no waterproof airplay 2 speakers?

The battery on my UE Boom 2 is starting to go, and I'd like have something with AirPlay 2 as a replacement. It has to be something that can sit on the ledge in the shower (it will get splashed) and it needs a battery.

I've tried using speakers plugged in on my bathroom counter before but the way the sound echoes in my bathroom makes it difficult to understand voices on podcasts while I'm in the shower stall. For that reason, I need something I can have in the shower like the UE Boom 2.

Is the Sonos Move water-resistant enough that it could be splashed on in the shower regularly?

dingobingo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
So, ive had my pro, and so far im extremely impressed. I have a few questions:

1) How much pressure can you place on the screen, as in when i read can i have my thumb on the screen and hold?
2) What should i used to clean the screen?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

I charged my X mostly only overnight on a wireless 5w charger and it had 90%+ health when I sold it after almost two years. And due to the crap battery that was often below 10% when it wenton the charger

optimise battery health will hopefully help some more with only charging to 80% until before you wake up

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a base 32GB iPad? Does the storage hold up for general use? 16GB is tight even with only a few apps but Is 32gb liveable?

with education pricing estimation
£315 for 32gb iPad 2019
£405 for 128gb iPad 2019
£430 for 64gb iPad Air + free beats

if 32gb is ok that saving is worth it - but if I need to move up, seems like the air is a more practical option?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a base 32GB iPad? Does the storage hold up for general use? 16GB is tight even with only a few apps but Is 32gb liveable?

with education pricing estimation
£315 for 32gb iPad 2019
£405 for 128gb iPad 2019
£430 for 64gb iPad Air + free beats

if 32gb is ok that saving is worth it - but if I need to move up, seems like the air is a more practical option?

It's really tough to answer such a personal question.
I need 512GB+. My wife is good with 32GB I think, should prob check. My kids sweet spot is 128GB.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
MacRumors is the first site I've seen that uses Safari's Dark Mode detection API. So nice. I hope more sites adopt it in time. It even fades smoothly when you turn it on and off.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It's really tough to answer such a personal question.
I need 512GB+. My wife is good with 32GB I think, should prob check. My kids sweet spot is 128GB.

I know :/ sometimes it feels like it helps to just ask anyway hoping someone will reassure its ok - feels like it's a choice between base iPad and the air - also the air would last a couple years longer maybe?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I know :/ sometimes it feels like it helps to just ask anyway hoping someone will reassure its ok - feels like it's a choice between base iPad and the air - also the air would last a couple years longer maybe?

I am not intimately familiar with the models but always look for RAM specs on tear downs. One of the things that dictates longevity is RAM for sure. Obviously newer SOCs also help.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
So, ive had my pro, and so far im extremely impressed. I have a few questions:

1) How much pressure can you place on the screen, as in when i read can i have my thumb on the screen and hold?
2) What should i used to clean the screen?

you should be able to hold your thumb on the screen as long as you aren't pressing down too hard. Never heard of an issue with thumb pressure.

I use glasses cleaning wipes or spray and a microfiber cloth to clean mine

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
you should be able to hold your thumb on the screen as long as you aren't pressing down too hard. Never heard of an issue with thumb pressure.

Note that alcohol wipes can wear the oleophobic coating when used regularly.

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I am not intimately familiar with the models but always look for RAM specs on tear downs. One of the things that dictates longevity is RAM for sure. Obviously newer SOCs also help.

fundamentally the differences are - air has laminated screen and A12, iPad has non-laminated and a10. I think both have 3Gb ram

dingobingo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017

Yeah, I'm just nervous I've never had something like this before and I'm paranoid as fuck about cracking the screen or damaging it. Like I have the mac pencil 2 and when I write I'm kinda lifting my wrist so that dosen't lay on the screen.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm just nervous I've never had something like this before and I'm paranoid as fuck about cracking the screen or damaging it. Like I have the mac pencil 2 and when I write I'm kinda lifting my wrist so that dosen't lay on the screen.
I draw on my iPad and sometimes push on the screen pretty hard. I have the older model, so it's not as thin, but I've never noticed any damage. I dunno how heavy handed you are, but I think the pencil is designed so it doesn't damage the screen unless you're using like a ton of force.

dingobingo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I draw on my iPad and sometimes push on the screen pretty hard. I have the older model, so it's not as thin, but I've never noticed any damage. I dunno how heavy handed you are, but I think the pencil is designed so it doesn't damage the screen unless you're using like a ton of force.
Yeah, I figured. I was not concerned about the pencil as much, but more holding the I pad, but what you are saying. I should be fine. I'm kinda using it as if it was fragile lol

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
fundamentally the differences are - air has laminated screen and A12, iPad has non-laminated and a10. I think both have 3Gb ram

As long as you allow iCloud to move stuff to the cloud (pics/videos mostly) and you don't plan to locally store a lot of media (digital comics, movies, TV shows) then you should be ok. At that point you're mostly looking at apps. I don't think I'd want the older SOC when given the choice.

For most people it's shooting video/pics that drive storage for phones and media for iPads.

Last edited:

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Oh you don't have to worry about that with these screens. You couldn't possibly apply enough force to crack it

Mar 3, 2018
Well, I'm in an idiot and had my AirPods in my pocket and not in my bag as usual while I was cycling and they slipped out. I noticed right away but a car demolished them =//

I really wanna buy one but I keep hearing the new ones are coming out very soon..... I hope that's true.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Thinking I'm making the jump on a clean install of Catalina tomorrow, perhaps my first clean install of an OS since the PowerPC days.

Made a list of the applications I'll need to manually migrate data over for: Mail, Music, and Photos primarily. Everything else should be handled via iCloud services.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Did Apple find a way to fuck up eternal monitors in Catalina? I have to re-connect my two monitors multiple times to make them work. They keep going on and off all the time until it works at some point. How is it even possible to screw up such a basic feature of the os?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
TV app on my MacBook makes it so hard to shop movies and tv, it seems to just not surface certain content. Beyond being stripped of a lot of the sales and promos that are featured on my phones iTunes Store app, i cant even find certain things in search. For example, iTunes sells a Steven Universe Vol 1-7 collection, but I can't seem to find that at all on the MacBook TV app.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Did Apple find a way to fuck up eternal monitors in Catalina? I have to re-connect my two monitors multiple times to make them work. They keep going on and off all the time until it works at some point. How is it even possible to screw up such a basic feature of the os?

I haven't seen anything like that, which of course doesn't mean there isn't an issue of some sort.

I'm using an external 3440x1440 display with my Mac Mini.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't noticed any changes here (Mac mini + Blackmagic eGPU + 5120x2160 single display). I have set my Mac to never sleep the display though, because waking the display up with a button press/trackpad click always fucked it up and I had to reconnect it (waking the display from sleep using the power button and then clicking/pressing to engage macOS works flawless tho). That is either an issue with the eGPU or the monitor however, have had that on Mojave before and didn't have it with another monitor.

Oct 25, 2017
I have three connected via an eGPU with no problems. How are you connected?

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Just read ifixit's teardown of the ipad 7.
It has 3GB of ram! I thought it had the same as last year.
Also, it has an NFC controller. Why would it? It doesn't have NFC capabilities, right?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Just read ifixit's teardown of the ipad 7.
It has 3GB of ram! I thought it had the same as last year.
Also, it has an NFC controller. Why would it? It doesn't have NFC capabilities, right?

apple pay?

3gb makes it interesting. For longevity vs iPad 2018 I guess that 3Gb will be a deciding factor in getting more iPadOS updates. will it get 5 years life like most other iPads - even though it has a 3 year old CPU already ?