• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Using two monitors, 4K and 1920*1200 via hdmi and DisplayPort. They worked without any problems in Mojave and now in Catalina connecting my Mac to them results in reconnecting them for a while.
no issues waking the MBP from sleep though.
this is what Happens: Monitors turn on, MacOS updates the desktop (can see that on the internal screen) and the Monitors wake up. They never show an image though, turn off again, and the procedure starts over.
it's a 2019 15" but that shouldn't be a problem.

well, thinking about it, I had issues with a flickering screen at home and at work (connected with a TB3 Dock) a while back. I really hope it's not a problem with the MacBook

Couchpotato

Nov 7, 2018
Has anyone had success backing up their iPhone and or restoring with Catalina?

I'm having a slew of issues now that it goes through Finder instead of iTunes. Trying to backup my GF's iPhone X on Catalina and then restoring it to her new iPhone 11 has been comically awful process and I can't tell if it's Catalina or iOS 13 or both that is giving me the issues.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
It's 2019 and iTunes's back button still isn't tab-independent. If you hit the back button in the For You tab, it doesn't go to the previous search results, it goes to the Library tab.

iTunes is some kind of R&D experiment at Apple to see exactly how shitty they can make an app's user experience before users revolt too much.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
The Shortcuts app has access to the device's NFC capabilites - maybe that's what it's for.

Like, maybe they see 'tap the iPad to an NFC emitter to...' as some kind of important feature for education?
Like connect it to the school WiFi or something?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Apple OT - is this a good time to buy AirPods?

I know there are rumored new ones but it seems t like they are next year?
If you need new headphones, buy airpods.

like, Apple might introduce a new model soonish, but those are going to be noise canceling, and certainly at a higher price tier, not a replacement to the current model.

imho, AirPods are one of those devices that should invoke the least buyers regret, because you're going to be using them so much, you'll feel like they'll have been worth the purchase even if apple releases a new model in spring.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Christ, moving my Time Machine folder between hard drives takes forever. I started it last night around 8PM and when I woke up this morning it's still "Preparing to move files" had to install amphetamine to prevent the computer from sleeping and have to leave the lid open because I'm afraid closing it will interrupt the process.

I remember this process actually taking something like two weeks when I first bought my Macbook Pro, but that was moving from an older USB 2.0 drive. Hopefully being on 3.0 will make things not take quite as long.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Question for the Apple TV: If I've got an OLED that can do HDR and Dolby Vision, what automatic setting should I have for the Apple TV playback?

I currently have it set to Dolby Vision on everything. Before, I would get some weird instances like some Netflix content not playing when left at auto.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Question for the Apple TV: If I've got an OLED that can do HDR and Dolby Vision, what automatic setting should I have for the Apple TV playback?

I currently have it set to Dolby Vision on everything. Before, I would get some weird instances like some Netflix content not playing when left at auto.

Set for 4k SDR and tell it to match frame rate and dynamic range. You don't want HDR on all the time.

Last edited:

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Set for 4k SDR and tell it to match frame rate and dynamic range. You don't want DV on all the time.

It'll switch to 4K HDR as well?

I've often been confused by the difference between movies with 4K HDR and movies with DV. And I don't want to mess up regular non-4K content either.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
It'll switch to 4K HDR as well?

I've often been confused by the difference between movies with 4K HDR and movies with DV. And I don't want to mess up regular non-4K content either.

Yeah you don't want the menus blowing up with the extra light output of HDR.. just want all that on SDR. The TV will switch to HDR10 or DV as necessary. By setting it to HDR you are asking the TV to simulate HDR for SDR content to my knowledge.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I'm baffled by the new TV app in OSX.

I want to quickly check whether I own a TV season.. then look at the store and possibly wish list it. They have made all of this much more cumbersome.

Mar 3, 2018
Hey Apple OT - is this a good time to buy AirPods?

I know there are rumored new ones but it seems t like they are next year?

Mine just got destroyed, and I'm currently using a friends since they will away camping and hiking for two weeks so they won't need them.

I believe all rumours point to a new one being announced by the end of October, and it will definitely be higher priced since it will have noise cancelling and some other new features. Personally I listen to a ton of music and would appreciate noise cancelling so I'm going to wait, but if you don't want to pay a higher price point and just want AirPods then get the current ones. Al things point to apple offering both models for sale.

thebigcountry

Oct 28, 2017
Christ, moving my Time Machine folder between hard drives takes forever. I started it last night around 8PM and when I woke up this morning it's still "Preparing to move files" had to install amphetamine to prevent the computer from sleeping and have to leave the lid open because I'm afraid closing it will interrupt the process.

I remember this process actually taking something like two weeks when I first bought my Macbook Pro, but that was moving from an older USB 2.0 drive. Hopefully being on 3.0 will make things not take quite as long.
I used SuperDuper to migrate my TM partition from one external drive to another a few months ago. SuperDuper for this job was quicker and more reliable than the Finder.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly I would ask you, do you really need the file history on that Time Machine backup? I had a TM drive fail once and I was panicking for a couple minutes until I realized all I really use TM for is a failsafe for my actual files, not a git repo for all the changes I've made on the entire drive. In those cases where you do need change history, IMO it's better to do it on a case-by-case basis.

So what I'm saying is, you're probably just better off creating a new Time Machine backup on the new drive.

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada

Don't use Finder to do this copy. Use Disk Utility's clone feature, use the unregistered version of SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner, or look up how to use rsync or ditto or whatever from the command line (but be careful).

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
After dinking around with VMWare and then Parallels Desktop (When VMWare didn't work) for about four hours, I was successfully able to install Windows 10 on an external Samsung SSD.

I know it's obstensibly a 10-year old game at this point, but there's something extraordinarily gratifying about kicking all the settings on Team Fortress 2 up to maximum and have it easily turn out a 60fps framerate, something that Steam on Mac always struggled with.

Of course, all of Valve's software software doesn't work on Catalina at all, so it's practically 60fps vs 0fps on the Mac side right now anyway.

I dunno if it's something I'm gonna keep up with, but my Wii U Pro Controller synced with a simple software download (where it doesn't work at all in macOS) and for a little while there I was considering getting a USB-C to HDMI adapter so I could use it as a mini console or sorts to get my TF2 fix on my TV from time to time.

Guess I'm probably just as well off building a cheap PC with integrated graphics at that point, since that's what's in the Mac anyway.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone in here with a working Shortcut to download Youtube videos? The one i used "Download YouTube" doesn't really work anymore.

Right now i just do the youtubepp.com thing and manually download the video.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone in here with a working Shortcut to download Youtube videos? The one i used "Download YouTube" doesn't really work anymore.

Right now i just do the youtubepp.com thing and manually download the video.
I have slightly modified this one I found on reddit (ripped out the update check since it didn't work for me and changed the save location to Files.app instead of Photos.app, so local storage on the phone is possible instead of clogging up cloud storage with temporarily deleted video): https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/435656b942824c6b98d3bf25129c23df

Works from share sheet or by checking the clipboard and allows you to save video or audio but no other options. It works nicely (aside from iOS 13 shitting the bed and it taking the Files.app provider to load ages), but I hope AltStore will be fixed soon to allow side loading of modified YT IPAs for the best experience. It blows my mind you apparently can't download >720p video even if you're subbed to YouTube Red or whatever its called these days.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I have slightly modified this one I found on reddit (ripped out the update check since it didn't work for me and changed the save location to Files.app instead of Photos.app, so local storage on the phone is possible instead of clogging up cloud storage with temporarily deleted video): https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/435656b942824c6b98d3bf25129c23df

Works from share sheet or by checking the clipboard and allows you to save video or audio but no other options. It works nicely (aside from iOS 13 shitting the bed and it taking the Files.app provider to load ages), but I hope AltStore will be fixed soon to allow side loading of modified YT IPAs for the best experience. It blows my mind you apparently can't download >720p video even if you're subbed to YouTube Red or whatever its called these days.
It's not for offline viewing, but for some on-the-go meme making, basically ...

I modified your shortcut accordingly, works wonderfully, thanks!

MalcomFleX

Alt account
Banned
Sep 9, 2019
New Beats headphones (Solo's with slightly new design with faster H1 chip and noise canceling):

Fold them to power them down, unfold to power them back on. Not wired at all this time, which makes them an easy pass for me. Gone is the 40 hour battery life, now down to 22.

beats-solo-pro-800x533.jpeg

Last edited:

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I have an eMac sitting in my closet at my parents place. It was my first Mac back from 2003. It has a dead hard drive, so I'll need to get in there and replace it someday to get it up and running, probably with an inexpensive SSD. I know I won't get full speed because of the limitations of the ATA/66 interface, but it'll be nice to not have to worry about a spinning drive failing again, plus the noise reduction I'll get from it.

I've opened the computer once to replace the optical drive back in the mid-2000s when that went out on me, so I have a little bit of experience tinkering on the computer, but it's a bit more work to get all the way in there to replace the hard drive. Thankfully it doesn't look terribly difficult, just time consuming and lots of screw tracking.

It'll probably best that I replace the thermal paste as well while I'm in there, because lord knows what's in there has likely dried up into a fine powder by now, and from what I'm seeing online that seems fairly trivial as well, as the heatsink is held in with a clip instead of being screwed down.

The idea is that I would set it up for a kid-friendly computer for when the wife and I have kids. Load it up with old Mac edutainment games and some DVD rips so they can have a station to play games and watch movies and I don't need to worry about them getting out to the internet as I'll switch off the Wi-Fi.

But the more I think about it the more I'm wondering if it's even worth the time and money putting into it when I might be better off picking up an old first generation intel iMac or something a bit more modern.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Beats headphones (Solo's with slightly new design with faster H1 chip and noise canceling):

Fold them to power them down, unfold to power them back on. Not wired at all this time, which makes them an easy pass for me. Gone is the 40 hour battery life, now down to 22.

beats-solo-pro-800x533.jpeg
Still 40 hours. Just 22 with the new features:

"Battery life is listed as up to 22 hours with Pure ANC and Transparency, and up to 40 hours with those features disabled"

MalcomFleX

Alt account
Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Still 40 hours. Just 22 with the new features:

"Battery life is listed as up to 22 hours with Pure ANC and Transparency, and up to 40 hours with those features disabled"
Also you can use them wired if you take one of those lightning port 3.5 adapters. Seems like it would be awkward though. But using them wired will still drain the battery since like the Studio 3s, these can't be used without power, even with ANC off. Essentially these are a huge step-down for me personally. I also dont really care about having ANC. My music cancels out all outside audio anyway.

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
Is there an iMac redesign coming? I'm thinking about getting one. Never owned a Mac desktop or laptop before -- only iPhones.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Is there an iMac redesign coming? I'm thinking about getting one. Never owned a Mac desktop or laptop before -- only iPhones.

The current iMac design was introduced in late 2012, so it's been on the market for seven years. The previous aluminum design was around for five, and the white polycarbonate one was around roughly four years, so take that as you will.

Personally I feel like the overdue for a visual overhaul, but I'm not entirely sure what they can do with it past this point. As much as I'd like them to return to something fun like the iMac G4, I feel like that Apple is long gone.

You can always nab a Mac Mini if you want to dip your toe into the macOS waters with less upfront cost, but it's all dependent on your intentions for the computer.

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
The current iMac design was introduced in late 2012, so it's been on the market for seven years. The previous aluminum design was around for five, and the white polycarbonate one was around roughly four years, so take that as you will.

Personally I feel like the overdue for a visual overhaul, but I'm not entirely sure what they can do with it past this point. As much as I'd like them to reduce to something fun like the iMac G4, I feel like that Apple is long gone.

You can always nab a Mac Mini if you want to dip your toe into the macOS waters with less upfront cost, but it's all dependent on your intentions for the computer.
Thank you for the reply! I'm a little less interested in the Mac Mini just because the most attractive feature for me (aside from the OS) is the really nice display. I just have terrible buyers remorse on just about everything and I don't know if I could handle buying one just before a refresh.

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for the reply! I'm a little less interested in the Mac Mini just because the most attractive feature for me (aside from the OS) is the really nice display. I just have terrible buyers remorse on just about everything and I don't know if I could handle buying one just before a refresh.
I don't think we've heard anything about a redesign, but I suppose it's possible they do one eventually since the bezel around the screen is very large by today's standards. At least the internals are updated fairly regularly. The Mac Mini took 4 years for just its internals to get updated!

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA

Back when I was a computer salesperson I used to tell customers that technology is like a river. It's always flowing, but at some point you just gotta jump in.

The iMac was last updated in March (Prior updates were June 2017, October 2015) so you're you're at about the midway point between updates, I would guess, meaning that a purchase now isn't necessarily a bad idea yet.

If you're in the US, check out Apple's refurbished offerings on their website. That's usually your best deal outside of occasional sales at Adorama or B&H, since they don't charge tax outside of New York.

Also don't ever buy an iMac with a platter-based hard drive or even a fusion drive. SSD or bust, but you probably already know this.

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
I don't think we've heard anything about a redesign, but I suppose it's possible they do one eventually since the bezel around the screen is very large by today's standards. At least the internals are updated fairly regularly. The Mac Mini took 4 years for just its internals to get updated!
I guess my only real fear is that they would release something with some sort of even better screen and also allow you to upgrade components in the future but I guess that's a pipe dream. Large bezels don't actually bother me at all. Currently I'm using a 1440p benq monitor that's nice but not on the same level.

I would say go for it if you need one. It's a great machine (imo maybe the best value of any mac you can buy right now) and was updated not too long ago with current CPUs.
No one outside Apple knows when and if a redesign lands.
If I do get one I was planning on going for the i9. I feel like it would be worth it. It is strange they don't offer i7s though.

If you're in the US, check out Apple's refurbished offerings on their website. That's usually your best deal outside of occasional sales at Adorama or B&H, since they don't charge tax outside of New York.
I'll need to look into this! I like ordering from B&H but I was really only looking on apple's website. And I have plenty of external drives for storage so I was definitely planning on going with an SSD over the fusion drive for the OS.

Oct 25, 2017
I have an eMac sitting in my closet at my parents place. It was my first Mac back from 2003. It has a dead hard drive, so I'll need to get in there and replace it someday to get it up and running, probably with an inexpensive SSD. I know I won't get full speed because of the limitations of the ATA/66 interface, but it'll be nice to not have to worry about a spinning drive failing again, plus the noise reduction I'll get from it.

I've opened the computer once to replace the optical drive back in the mid-2000s when that went out on me, so I have a little bit of experience tinkering on the computer, but it's a bit more work to get all the way in there to replace the hard drive. Thankfully it doesn't look terribly difficult, just time consuming and lots of screw tracking.

It'll probably best that I replace the thermal paste as well while I'm in there, because lord knows what's in there has likely dried up into a fine powder by now, and from what I'm seeing online that seems fairly trivial as well, as the heatsink is held in with a clip instead of being screwed down.

The idea is that I would set it up for a kid-friendly computer for when the wife and I have kids. Load it up with old Mac edutainment games and some DVD rips so they can have a station to play games and watch movies and I don't need to worry about them getting out to the internet as I'll switch off the Wi-Fi.

But the more I think about it the more I'm wondering if it's even worth the time and money putting into it when I might be better off picking up an old first generation intel iMac or something a bit more modern.
Really a personal decision. I'm in the process of getting a G4 MDD up and running for my classic MacOS + early OS X software. There's really something fun about getting old hardware running again.

A newer iMac will run faster and probably cheaper from an energy perspective, but at some point obsolete tech is obsolete tech, the difference is pretty minimal and from a pure cost perspective it's almost always cheaper to just toss it and get something newer.

I grew up on my parents' studio hand-me-downs so I had a nine+ year old computer as a kid and still had a blast. I say go for it.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I'll need to look into this! I like ordering from B&H but I was really only looking on apple's website. And I have plenty of external drives for storage so I was definitely planning on going with an SSD over the fusion drive for the OS.

If you're going for the i9, also be sure to order the computer with ONLY 8GB of RAM and install whatever additional you're looking for yourself.

The 27" is one of the few computers Apple still offers with a RAM access door.

For instance, even if you're buying from Apple they'll charge you an additional $600 to go up to 32GB of RAM.

Alternatively you can buy this 16GB kit from Amazon for $64 and add it to the included 8GB to get yourself up to 24GB, or heck, buy two kits for $128 and get yourself up to 32GB, selling off the included 8GB to get a bit of money back.

32GB kits exist, but they seem to be out of stock at Amazon at the moment. (Though of course you can buy it elsewhere.) Prior to going out stock they were going for $127, meaning you can feasibly get up to 64GB if you're some sort of crazy nutter for only $254 versus the $1,000 Apple charges.

My sister actually just bought an i9 iMac herself to replace her 2014 Mac Mini. She was gonna go with a 2018 Mac Mini but she's been doing a lot of Final Cut work lately and Final Cut is best with a dedicated GPU versus the Mac Mini's integrated...and by the time you invest in a eGPU the iMac just made more sense for her.

Edit: In regards to refurbished, here's an i9/8GB/1TB SSD/580X for $2,549, unfortunately sold out at the moment however. An equivalent new iMac would run you $2,999.

There's a website where you can set up e-mail reminders when the computer you want comes back in stock though: https://refurb-tracker.com/

Last edited:

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
If you're going for the i9, also be sure to order the computer with ONLY 8GB of RAM and install whatever additional you're looking for yourself.

The 27" is one of the few computers Apple still offers with a RAM access door.

For instance, even if you're buying from Apple they'll charge you an additional $600 to go up to 32GB of RAM.

Alternatively you can buy this 16GB kit from Amazon for $64 and add it to the included 8GB to get yourself up to 24GB, or heck, buy two kits for $128 and get yourself up to 32GB, selling off the included 8GB to get a bit of money back.

32GB kits exist, but they seem to be out of stock at Amazon at the moment. (Though of course you can buy it elsewhere.) Prior to going out stock they were going for $127, meaning you can feasibly get up to 64GB if you're some sort of crazy nutter for only $254 versus the $1,000 Apple charges.

My sister actually just bought an i9 iMac herself to replace her 2014 Mac Mini. She was gonna go with a 2018 Mac Mini but she's been doing a lot of Final Cut work lately and Final Cut is best with a dedicated GPU versus the Mac Mini's integrated...and by the time you invest in a eGPU the iMac just made more sense for her.
I was planning on upgrading the RAM myself if I do end up going for it. Is your sister happy with her purchase?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Did the screenshot tool always snap to UI elements automatically when cropping? Such a nice small touch

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Has anyone an idea how to debug a crazy going kernel_task? My Mac froze multiple times today with 900% cpu load. The activity manager is no help, as it does not say what causes the issue.
I suspect my IDE to be the cause for this in Catalina, but how can I be sure?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone an idea how to debug a crazy going kernel_task? My Mac froze multiple times today with 900% cpu load. The activity manager is no help, as it does not say what causes the issue.
I suspect my IDE to be the cause for this in Catalina, but how can I be sure?
Say what, my Mac mini froze twice for atleast a Minute since updating to Catalina. I should probably check on that too next time it happens. Never had this happen before, but I brushed it off as random hiccups until now

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm doing a bit of shopping, and hopefully this is the right place to ask, but I was wondering if there's a point to the iPhone 11 Pro over the iPhone 11? For me, it would be my regular go-to Phone, not looking to do anything ridiculous as far as programming or professional stuff is concerned.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
So I'm doing a bit of shopping, and hopefully this is the right place to ask, but I was wondering if there's a point to the iPhone 11 Pro over the iPhone 11? For me, it would be my regular go-to Phone, not looking to do anything ridiculous as far as programming or professional stuff is concerned.

Extra camera and higher resolution OLED vs LCD are the two big things off the top of my head.

If you don't think you need either, iPhone 11 will do you just fine.

Here's a good read on the matter:

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

the main benefits of the pro are:
- telephoto (2x) camera
- brighter higher-res OLED display vs. a more standard LCD
- more battery life

if none of those things are that important to you (or at least not $300+ important) just get the 11. cpu performance, ram, and the main + ultrawide cameras are identical.

Oct 26, 2017
Extra camera and higher resolution OLED vs LCD are the two big things off the top of my head.

If you don't think you need either, iPhone 11 will do you just fine.

Here's a good read on the matter:

the main benefits of the pro are:
- telephoto (2x) camera
- brighter higher-res OLED display vs. a more standard LCD
- more battery life

if none of those things are that important to you (or at least not $300+ important) just get the 11. cpu performance, ram, and the main + ultrawide cameras are identical.

Thank you so much, looks like I'm set with the base model iPhone 11.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
FYI, Things for iOS is discounted at the moment.

But I don't think I'm gonna grab it. I use a combination of Fantastical, Reminders and Wunderlist at the moment. The former two for events and time-based todos, and the latter for todos without a particular due date. I'm considering either a) fully migrating to Reminders, getting rid of Wunderlist or b) replacing Wunderlist with something else, like Microsoft Todo or Things. Should I choose the second option, Things would be a step back, as I have a PC at work and there's no web interface for Things, unlike Wunderlist/Todo.