• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
would there be any issues getting an exchange to a different colour ipad if I'm within the 14 day window but outside of the educational discount window? In the UK it expires tomorrow so I'm probably buying today but not entirely sure which colour

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I'm currently in a phone call using my Airpods, but damn it's too loud even, when on the lowest volume setting. Is there anything I can do about that? I'd really like more fidelity in setting volume. Same on my Win10 computer at work...

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else having trouble download updates on the Mac at the moment? I can't download neither system updates ("An error occurred") nor App Store updates ("Hostname not found"), but apart from this my connection seems to work fine. I've already restarted my Mac.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
Anyone else having trouble download updates on the Mac at the moment? I can't download neither system updates ("An error occurred") nor App Store updates ("Hostname not found"), but apart from this my connection seems to work fine. I've already restarted my Mac.
Seeing this exact issue. Looks like some DNS or routing to Apple's update servers is hosed.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm a brand new Apple Watch owner with the launch of Series 5.

What's the deal with the official bands lineup? Am I right to guess that they introduce new bands every season? Or is it refreshed like twice a year? Is there a good place besides just buying used to get older bands when they "retire," or do they pretty much just disappear from the new condition market entirely?

I'm already noticing some third party bands tend to skew exclusively toward 44mm edition, too -- there's a few really nice leather bands I can't get for my 40mm and that bums me out. Hoping to just get a really comfortable and nice looking leather material band at some point that's non-magnetic...

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a brand new Apple Watch owner with the launch of Series 5.

What's the deal with the official bands lineup? Am I right to guess that they introduce new bands every season? Or is it refreshed like twice a year? Is there a good place besides just buying used to get older bands when they "retire," or do they pretty much just disappear from the new condition market entirely?

I'm already noticing some third party bands tend to skew exclusively toward 44mm edition, too -- there's a few really nice leather bands I can't get for my 40mm and that bums me out. Hoping to just get a really comfortable and nice looking leather material band at some point that's non-magnetic...
Yeah, they are refreshed kinda regularly and then pretty much disappear from the retail market rather quickly. I think so far they have always introduced new bands alongside new product launches, be it a proper event or just an online store refresh.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
How do I delete recently used Memojis? I have a white square as one of them and it bugs me out ;)

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Today my MacBook froze again, didn't respond. It also didn't heat up, fans stayed quiet. If I understood it correctly, Apple uses the kernel_task to create artificial cpu load to prevent it from overheating.
In the end, the mac shut down. It just turned off.

I'm extremely annoyed right now, and I'm annoyed way too often with macs at work for a while now. Damnit

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Anyone got new 10.2" iPad that they announced last month?
How is it for gaming? Are there any slowdowns? And is resolution of the games too low for 10" screen? Can anyone compare it with iPads that come with more powerful chip like A12?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Just got the e-mail alert that refurbished iPhone 8's are back in stock, texted my mom to ask if she wanted me to nab her one to replace her iPhone 5c, but by the time she gets back to me they'll likely be sold out. Oh well.

Tempted to get one for myself, but I'm hopeful 2020 gives me something a bit better.

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
How often do they restock refurbs? How much time would I have to think this over before the stock runs out?

In the past I've had to use a 3rd party website to track for the item I needed and grab it. They go quickly because of the value and quality of their refurbs.

My 2010 Mac Pro was a refurb. Several of my Macbooks have been refurbs.. same with my current 2018 Mac Mini.

Oct 25, 2017
Shot:
qbUy5aH.png

Chaser:
cxCdd4n.png

(There are way too many security restrictions and prompts in Catalina and iOS 13)

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Don't actually think that at all. It's a one time thing that considerably contributes to awareness and I was pleasantly surprised how little I had to confirm after updating to Catalina considering the fear mongering on twitter beforehand.

For example I didn't know MS Office granted itself notification permissions before and that another text processing tool I use regularly allowed itself to log all keyboard inputs (forgot the exact phrasing that macOS uses; but the program works perfectly fine even without that).

I agree it might throw off non-savvy users (like with BTT and other stuff that requires screen recording permission) though, but for advanced users? Pretty great imo.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
My mother keeps asking me questions about the iPhone 8 in regards to its size. She's seen the iPhone 8 my sister uses and thinks its too big for daily use.

Man fuck Apple for killing off the iPhone SE.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't actually think that at all. It's a one time thing that considerably contributes to awareness and I was pleasantly surprised how little I had to confirm after updating to Catalina considering the fear mongering on twitter beforehand.

For example I didn't know MS Office granted itself notification permissions before and that another text processing tool I use regularly allowed itself to log all keyboard inputs (forgot the exact phrasing that macOS uses; but the program works perfectly fine even without that).

I agree it might throw off non-savvy users (like with BTT and other stuff that requires screen recording permission) though, but for advanced users? Pretty great imo.
I think some of them are good, but I think some are just way too aggressive. On the phone, I don't want to keep having to allow a weather app to use my location. On the Mac, I don't want to keep telling a FTP app it's ok to use a folder. And if I was just a regular user, that prompt about recording my screen would scare me off from even using the app anymore.

Maybe it's just me and what I use and have installed, but I've had three apps ask about screen recording, I had one out of date app get labeled as actual malware (it's not, and I can't even run it now), the day I updated I had like 20 apps ask all at once if they could display notifications (which I've previously edited and tailored those notification settings in Notification Center so it should know I do want them to give me notifications), and I am still having apps I use ask to use certain folders for the first time.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My mother keeps asking me questions about the iPhone 8 in regards to its size. She's seen the iPhone 8 my sister uses and thinks its too big for daily use.

Man fuck Apple for killing off the iPhone SE.

You can still pick up a lightly used/3rd party "refurbished" iPhone SE for a song. It would be a huge step up from an 5c at least.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How is it for gaming? Are there any slowdowns? And is resolution of the games too low for 10" screen? Can anyone compare it with iPads that come with more powerful chip like A12?

I have a 10.5" Pro that has the same CPU (but better GPU and more RAM). It's great for gaming. Neither resolution nor performance are issues.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But the hardware in that phone is ostensibly from 2015, already four years old at this point, and likely to be left behind by iOS 14 next year. Purchasing it at this point is just delaying the inevitable.

Sure, but at least it'll be a much better experience for a year (maybe two) at <$100. And you'll have time to consider getting a smaller iPhone 12 or whatever else Apple might come up with in 2020/2021.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I want a 14" with the same specs as the 15". I love my 15" from 2013 and I know the newer design is slimmer and lighter but I would go even lighter if I could, but I don't want a 13" because you don't get any power. Give me a 14" with a dGPU and I'll be happy. 16" is too big for me. But I guess the audience is the people who miss the 17" option.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a 10.5" Pro that has the same CPU (but better GPU and more RAM). It's great for gaming. Neither resolution nor performance are issues.
Thanks. I am thinking about getting iPad Mini 5 for some time now, so i am not really sure what to do.

the 10.5" pro's performance is totally incomparable to the new 10.2" model. it's not the same CPU either (it has a third "big" CPU core), and the A10X GPU is closer in performance to A13 than vanilla A10. huge leap in gaming performance.

Oct 25, 2017
I think some of them are good, but I think some are just way too aggressive. On the phone, I don't want to keep having to allow a weather app to use my location. On the Mac, I don't want to keep telling a FTP app it's ok to use a folder. And if I was just a regular user, that prompt about recording my screen would scare me off from even using the app anymore.

Maybe it's just me and what I use and have installed, but I've had three apps ask about screen recording, I had one out of date app get labeled as actual malware (it's not, and I can't even run it now), the day I updated I had like 20 apps ask all at once if they could display notifications (which I've previously edited and tailored those notification settings in Notification Center so it should know I do want them to give me notifications), and I am still having apps I use ask to use certain folders for the first time.

Yeah I got two "are you sure you want Fog of World to keep using your location" prompts in the week I updated. The first should have been enough, no idea why my first "yes indefinitely let this app do this" wasn't enough.

I think the biggest thing for Mac is that you shouldn't have to click through multiple permissions—you should get a single window per app. Otherwise you're basically encouraging users to just start mindlessly clicking.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

just been around this loop myself. For apps etc the 10.2 should be fine. A little slower for some 'demanding' games - eg lower framerate on CoD, but most games will be designed around the largest market and will take into account the 2017/18/19 'budget' ipad.

I ultimately went for the ipad air. Better screen, latest processor so it should easily last 5 years (10.2 may too, but its more a confidence thing), and 64GB base vs 32GB on the 10.2. I think the ram tipped me over the edge - I was worried the 32GB might not be enough and the next bump up is £100 in the UK - which takes it to within £30 of the base Air

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
just been around this loop myself. For apps etc the 10.2 should be fine. A little slower for some 'demanding' games - eg lower framerate on CoD, but most games will be designed around the largest market and will take into account the 2017/18/19 'budget' ipad.

I ultimately went for the ipad air. Better screen, latest processor so it should easily last 5 years (10.2 may too, but its more a confidence thing), and 64GB base vs 32GB on the 10.2. I think the ram tipped me over the edge - I was worried the 32GB might not be enough and the next bump up is £100 in the UK - which takes it to within £30 of the base Air
So i guess i should definitely look more for latest iPad Mini? I want to use it for few years and i want it to be able to play latest games without issues.
I mean it's more expensive but specs are just better, and i prefer smaller screen.

I don't understand why they used 4 years old chip in new iPad 10.2". I know that they wanted to make it as cheap as it can be but for Apple it doesn't make any sense.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017

who asked for six USBC ports? How about an SD card slot and a USBA port instead?

Why not add a floppy and CD drive too while we're at it 😌 With the USB c ports you at least have the flexibility to add these ports back. Shipping Macs with only one or two USB C ports on the other hand was always kinda ehhh

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
more ports are always better, so I'm ok with that.

I hope though that that's not it with the improvements beside a bigger screen :/

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
So i guess i should definitely look more for latest iPad Mini? I want to use it for few years and i want it to be able to play latest games without issues.
I mean it's more expensive but specs are just better, and i prefer smaller screen.

I don't understand why they used 4 years old chip in new iPad 10.2". I know that they wanted to make it as cheap as it can be but for Apple it doesn't make any sense.

I'd go for the mini - laminated screen, A12, 64GB base - also your preferred size

The flipside to your '4 year old chip' (and believe me, I've spent way too long on this too) - is that it should suggest Apple will support the current ipad for 3-5 years, and that should be good news for eg ipad 2018 owners too. Also worth noting the 10.2 has more ram (3GB vs 2GB on the 2018) - so maybe ram will be the next cutoff rather than CPU? everything seems to be starting to get 3GB as standard now

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Why not add a floppy and CD drive too while we're at it 😌 With the USB c ports you at least have the flexibility to add these ports back. Shipping Macs with only one or two USB C ports on the other hand was always kinda ehhh

the retina MBP always had four USBC so I'm not sure why you are comparing to a different Mac that may have had only one or two.

A lot of people "pro" people still use sd cards and usbA ports. Anybody who takes pictures with a non phone camera. It's not the same as a floppy drive.

I need a dual port usb A and USBC drive transfer files from my Mac book Pro to basically any non Mac computer for work. USBA is not legacy. And it won't be for a long while.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
the retina MBP always had four USBC so I'm not sure why you are comparing to a different Mac that may have had only one or two.

A lot of people "pro" people still use sd cards and usbA ports. Anybody who takes pictures with a non phone camera. It's not the same as a floppy drive.

I need a dual port usb A and USBC drive transfer files from my Mac book Pro to basically any non Mac computer for work. USBA is not legacy. And it won't be for a long while.

a lot of pros use SD cards and USB A ports and Apple still threw those away for several years. A lot of pros use 3.5mm USB audio for pro audio and Apple threw that away too on the ipad pros

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
Looks like they are already gone. Man. I usually don't keep that much cash in my checking account so I was thinking about where to transfer it from or to use the apple card to get 3%. I have apple card now so I guess I'll just wait for the next round? Those went fast!

I need a new phone too so I was looking at getting one of the refurbished 8s but I decided that I'd rather focus on getting a new PC first.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like they are already gone. Man. I usually don't keep that much cash in my checking account so I was thinking about where to transfer it from or to use the apple card to get 3%. I have apple card now so I guess I'll just wait for the next round? Those went fast!

I need a new phone too so I was looking at getting one of the refurbished 8s but I decided that I'd rather focus on getting a new PC first.

I don't know about iMacs specifically but I think it was discussed yesterday or so, the refurb stuff has a following. People nail some of the stuff immediately. There is even a dedicated tracker for it. https://www.refurb.me/en-us

Of course zero knowledge regarding your financial situation but if I'm not mistaken Apple Card would have you paying off a Mac purchase made now at the end of November interest free.

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
I don't know about iMacs specifically but I think it was discussed yesterday or so, the refurb stuff has a following. People nail some of the stuff immediately. There is even a dedicated tracker for it. https://www.refurb.me/en-us

Of course zero knowledge regarding your financial situation but if I'm not mistaken Apple Card would have you paying off a Mac purchase made now at the end of November interest free.
I guess I'll just try to be to be ready for the next one. :-(