• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I wanted to reinstall macOS. It failed at 99%. Some AFPS error. So I started restoring from my TM backup and went to sleep. Today, when I turned on my Mac, it booted into Windows, and the Mac volume is gone. Fun.

edit: Internet Recovery recognizes my TM backup, but doesn't do anything when I enter my NAS credentials.

edit 2: Installing Lion right now..

edit 3: Apparently, I have to update to El Capitan first before I can update to Catalina. But I can't log in to the MAS. I'm supposed to enter my 2FA key, but there's no field to do so.. 🤦‍♀️

Last edited:

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to reinstall macOS. It failed at 99%. Some AFPS error. So I started restoring from my TM backup and went to sleep. Today, when I turned on my Mac, it booted into Windows, and the Mac volume is gone. Fun.

edit: Internet Recovery recognizes my TM backup, but doesn't do anything when I enter my NAS credentials.

edit 3: Apparently, I have to update to El Capitan first before I can update to Catalina. But I can't log in to the MAS. I'm supposed to enter my 2FA key, but there's no field to do so.. 🤦‍♀️
As for the last edit, I think I have run into this issue once back when I started using macOS. Turns out I had to append the app key to my actual password i think. Perhaps it helps. Kept me busy for a few good minutes too ...

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
As for the last edit, I think I have run into this issue once back when I started using macOS. Turns out I had to append the app key to my actual password i think. Perhaps it helps. Kept me busy for a few good minutes too ...

Correct, I just figured it out. El Capitan is downloading right now..

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017

MalcomFleX

Alt account
Banned
Sep 9, 2019
I paid about that for the Wireless Power Beat's Pro. No regrets. If they have longer battery life and noise canceling and who knows what else then...
I tried those too. Overpriced for that sound signature and battery life. For these prices I'll gladly deal with the hardship of having a head band and just go for the infinitely superior Solo Pro. That's just me though. For buds there's not enough difference between what Apple offers and what I can get from thirty dollar knockoffs.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
a lot of pros use SD cards and USB A ports and Apple still threw those away for several years. A lot of pros use 3.5mm USB audio for pro audio and Apple threw that away too on the ipad pros

Yeah but now they are making a 16" MBP and they have been supposedly trying to listen to "pro's" asks recently.

So please keep the 3.5mm jack. Leave the four USBC ports, add a USBA port and add an SD Card slot.

I am venting on this message board about the things that I would prefer in a new 16" MBP.

the 13" base MBP only has two

Ok maybe you technically have a point. But I was comparing the rumored 16" MBP to the current offerings. The most reasonable comparison of the 16" is the current 15" or the top end 13" that contain four USBC ports.

Can any of you honestly tell me what you can do with SIX USBC ports that you can't already do with four USBC ports? (Can we also expect that the 16" pro will only have 2-3 of those USBC ports being full TB3?)

MalcomFleX

Alt account
Banned
Sep 9, 2019
You're paying for true-wireless technology, and in this case for the noice-cancelling technology as well. They're all priced this way

I really don't know what you're expecting.
I don't buy the marketing bullshit. And no, truly wireless doesn't necessitate a high price. I own thirty dollar Chinese junk buds that sound better and have longer lasting batteries. The extra 100+ is for name alone. Some are fine with it, some aren't. You won't change my mind and I won't change yours. It's fine.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA

Big oofs all around, best of luck getting that sorted. I've been kicking the can down the road on a daily basis in regards to doing a clean install for close to a week now. Hella worried that something's gonna go awry even though I plan on having both a Time Machine and a Carbon Copy Clone to work from.

I went ahead and made a Catalina USB installer, so I can avoid recovery mode altogether.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I guess I'll just try to be to be ready for the next one. :-(

I like using "Apple Refurbished Stock Checker" but finding the product you want in the drop-down is a bit of a pain. They're generally fastest on the draw in regards to alert e-mails though.

"Refurb Tracker" is my backup and it's easier to find the product you want to be alerted on in their interface, but I find it takes them a bit longer to get alert e-mails out.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
I don't buy the marketing bullshit. And no, truly wireless doesn't necessitate a high price. I own thirty dollar Chinese junk buds that sound better and have longer lasting batteries. The extra 100+ is for name alone. Some are fine with it, some aren't. You won't change my mind and I won't change yours. It's fine.

what buds do you own? Where did you buy them? Is it ok to ask for a link ( I want to see them)?

Is it easy to switch your buds to and from different devices?

my power beats pro battery allows me to listen to music all day long without charging them.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
Big oofs all around, best of luck getting that sorted. I've been kicking the can down the road on a daily basis in regards to doing a clean install for close to a week now. Hella worried that something's gonna go awry even though I plan on having both a Time Machine and a Carbon Copy Clone to work from.

I went ahead and made a Catalina USB installer, so I can avoid recovery mode altogether.

TM restore is running right now. ETA: 11 hours. Sigh.

Oct 25, 2017

You say Bose has good sound quality, then say $30 earbuds sound better than AirPods. I'm inclined to think your preferences are not in the mainstream.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
I've just listened to 37 minutes of music (connected to WiFi) through my AirPods and only lost 2% battery

If I'd do the same with the music coming through the speaker I could lose 10-15~ battery

How come using the speaker makes such a difference?

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
I've just listened to 37 minutes of music (connected to WiFi) through my AirPods and only lost 2% battery

If I'd do the same with the music coming through the speaker I could lose 10-15~ battery

You are losing the battery on your AirPods instead of on your phone. Generating sound out of the speaker uses battery. Transmitting signals over WiFi or bluetooth uses much less battery. Not sure what else there is to say about it.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Stop shitting up the thread with pointless "AirPods are overpriced and sound like shit" "No they aren't and no they don't"
They're reasonably priced and they sound reasonable. There, now shake hands.

The speakers and the internal DAC are probably consuming way more power than the iPhone streaming the signal to your AirPods over low-power bluetooth. 1% every 3 minutes doesn't sound that unrealistic.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
You are losing the battery on your AirPods instead of on your phone. Generating sound out of the speaker uses battery. Transmitting signals over WiFi or bluetooth uses much less battery. Not sure what else there is to say about it.
Stop shitting up the thread with pointless "AirPods are overpriced and sound like shit" "No they aren't and no they don't"

The speakers and the internal DAC are probably consuming way more power than the iPhone streaming the signal to your AirPods over low-power bluetooth. 1% every 3 minutes doesn't sound that unrealistic.

I've been trying to find out about the Apple Music battery usage from other users to compare to my own because it seemed like that much battery drain is pretty excessive, and this is the first time I've listened to music from my AirPods for that long so the difference surprised me

Well, sounds like I'm gonna use my AirPods more often from own, thanks ;p

MalcomFleX

Alt account
Banned
Sep 9, 2019

Was your device recently charged? Apple devices take forever to drop from 100 percent to 99 and then they drop rapidly.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Was your device recently charged? Apple devices take forever to drop from 100 percent to 99 and then they drop rapidly.
This is true as well.
Just like with installation bars, the 1% between 99 and 100 tends to be way ... uhm ... "larger" than the one between, say, 61 and 62.

I'm gonna Test this tomorrow though. Never really listen to music via the iPhone speakers for such long durations and I'm really really curious now

MalcomFleX

Alt account
Banned
Sep 9, 2019
This is true as well.
Just like with installation bars, the 1% between 99 and 100 tends to be way ... uhm ... "larger" than the one between, say, 61 and 62.

I'm gonna Test this tomorrow though. Never really listen to music via the iPhone speakers for such long durations and I'm really really curious now
I should clarify that it isn't just 100 to 99 that takes forever. If you stop charging anywhere, it will take forever before it drops one. It's just how they do it.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
So I've generally been against putting stickers on your computer as I'm so afraid that it'll forever be gunked up, but I'm tempted to do so soon. Any suggestions on how to clean up the surface before application? Is rubbing alcohol safe to use or is that a no-no on a Macbook Pro's aluminum surface?

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
I do hope they start to support some of the better audio codecs for BT that have been available for a while now.
I don't think there's anything that's truly "lossless" though but with stuff like Apt-X et al no one will notice.
Yeah, it would be a start. Given it's Apple though, I'm surprised they haven't come up with some sort of proprietary, industry-pushing format that they could then spin with H1 chip.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017

It was sitting at 44% when I started and 42% when finished, and I think it was last charged the day before (when I listened through the AirPods), if that's what you were asking

This is true as well.

Did you happen to test it already? would like to hear your results

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
It was sitting at 44% when I started and 42% when finished, and I think it was last charged the day before (when I listened through the AirPods), if that's what you were asking

Did you happen to test it already? would like to hear your results
nah, i'm in the office right now and i don't feel like blasting tunes for 30 minutes.... :D

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
I do hope they start to support some of the better audio codecs for BT that have been available for a while now.
I don't think there's anything that's truly "lossless" though but with stuff like Apt-X et al no one will notice.
Yeah, it would be a start. Given it's Apple though, I'm surprised they haven't come up with some sort of proprietary, industry-pushing format that they could then spin with H1 chip.
I think in Apple's mind 256kbps AAC is audibly transparent, which is not far from the truth. You can see it with the "Mastered for iTunes" marketing they created a few years ago.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
Sold my AirPods in anticipation for the upcoming ANC AirPods.

Can you elaborate a bit on that?
Bluetooth recompresses audio in a pretty horrible way unless both source device and playback device support a more advanced codec, such as the one that Sony and a few others have put out. In either case, it's still recompressed, which isn't ideal. And I'm not talking "only weird audiophile on the Internet would pretend to notice it"-bad. It's pretty obvious in any serious A/B comparison. Bluetooth sounds flatter.

This article explains it somewhat decently, though there's a bit more to it, with a history of different companies coming up with custom codecs that try to address the issue.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
Bluetooth recompresses audio in a pretty horrible way unless both source device and playback device support a more advanced codec, such as the one that Sony and a few others have put out. In either case, it's still recompressed, which isn't ideal. And I'm not talking "only weird audiophile on the Internet would pretend to notice it"-bad. It's pretty obvious in any serious A/B comparison. Bluetooth sounds flatter.

This article explains it somewhat decently, though there's a bit more to it, with a history of different companies coming up with custom codecs that try to address the issue.
thank you

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017

Does Apple use a good custom codec with say the PowerBeats Pro or AirPods?

Edit: HomePod must use WiFi

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017

Wait, the article says "Thus, if you're listening to MP3 or AAC files that you have stored on your smartphone, tablet, or computer, Bluetooth doesn't have to degrade the sound quality if both devices supports that format."

MalcomFleX

Alt account
Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Everyone's favorite YouTuber checks out the new Beats Solo Pro. I got a pair of red ordered from Apple's military store. Can't wait. Only question I have is if they power themselves down if you plug in a lightning audio cable. And speaking of Apple's lame pricing of peripherals, the lightning to 3.5 cable is 35 dollars. Or buy one from a third party on Amazon for 12.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Does Apple use a good custom codec with say the PowerBeats Pro or AirPods?

Edit: HomePod must use WiFi
Wait, the article says "Thus, if you're listening to MP3 or AAC files that you have stored on your smartphone, tablet, or computer, Bluetooth doesn't have to degrade the sound quality if both devices supports that format."

yeah, Apple used AAC as the codec for all their W1 and H1 headphones, which is also what iTunes and Apple Music is encoded in, so there shouldn't be audible quality loss on that front at least

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Which earbuds are these? I wanna buy.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017

IMO AirPods shouldn't just sound "reasonable"; Apple since the original Macintosh has strived to bring great-sounding audio that's not normally associated with consumer gear. I hate to say this, but if Steve was alive their audio offerings would sound better than they do. I don't think anyone in the top brass (except maybe Craig) care enough about good audio quality to make it a priority anymore.

I still lament the fact that Apple moving from an audio jack to the Lightning adapter on the iPhone reduced the dynamic range of the audio output.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Might be getting an iMac. My MacBook Air broke and well, I don't really need a laptop. Would love a desktop though.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
IMO AirPods shouldn't just sound "reasonable"; Apple since the original Macintosh has strived to bring great-sounding audio that's not normally associated with consumer gear. I hate to say this, but if Steve was alive their audio offerings would sound better than they do. I don't think anyone in the top brass (except maybe Craig) care enough about good audio quality to make it a priority anymore.

I still lament the fact that Apple moving from an audio jack to the Lightning adapter on the iPhone reduced the dynamic range of the audio output.
Apple computers still have best-of-class built-in speakers.

Besides,
For instance, when playing an uncompressed 16-bit audio file on the iPhone 6s, the dynamic range dropped from 99.1 dB at the headphone jack to 97.3 dB at the adapter. Though keep in mind, this slightly lower measurement is still higher than the theoretical maximum you get from a compact disc (which is 96 dB)
2 dB is not much of a difference. https://zh.ifixit.com/News/apple-audio-adapter-teardown