• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Miyahon

Nov 8, 2017
Anyone know if they changed watchOS 6 theater mode? Seems every time I use it I have trouble turning on the display of the watch. Either turning the Digital Crown to slowly brighten the display doesn't work and instead I can feel the Taptic Engine turn on when it hits the end of the Siri watch face. Same thing happens when I try to touch the display too. Today I tried it at the movies and I could not get the watch display to turn on and had to hard restart the watch to get the display to turn back on. I've never had any issues before with theater mode until watchOS 6 was installed.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
I had the 13 inch MacBook Pro 2015 base model. Will the new MB Air be considered an upgrade in terms of performance? Thinking about the base Air for browsing the web, viewing photos and casual stuff like that. Maybe some light photo/movie editing in the future.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Is there really no way to trigger touchpad buttons with the PS4 Remote Play app for iOS? Not seeing anything touchpad-related in the UI, and a bluetooth-connected DS4 worked perfectly fine with my iPad, except for the touchpad.

I was excited to finally give it a proper try with Cold Steel 3 since playing on my only TV is a much bigger hassle than playing on PC/iPad whenever my GF is around, but no touchpad kills it for me considering that major features are tied to it in CS3.

e: the app page (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ps4-remote-play/id1436192460) says "However, to use the PS button or the touch pad function, use the on-screen controller"... But how? Like I said, I'm not seeing anything touchpad-related on the iPad screen. Anyone?

Last edited:

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had the 13 inch MacBook Pro 2015 base model. Will the new MB Air be considered an upgrade in terms of performance? Thinking about the base Air for browsing the web, viewing photos and casual stuff like that. Maybe some light photo/movie editing in the future.

ehhhhh, not especially. it's a slightly newer processor but it's also a lower-wattage chip with lower clocks so total performance would be very similar to what you already have.

i'd look at the current base 13" pro since it's quad-core and would be a more significant jump.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
The icon for the 16" MBP indicates a physical escape key as well as a separated out touch sensor/power button.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The escape key alone would be a reason to change machines, again. God I hate tapping into thin air :/
I also constantly lock my MacBook when I want to use the fingerprint scanner.

It's still a tough sell though, if they don't do anything about the rest. Like the crap thermals, loud fans and poor keyboard. Well, they'll address the keyboard, if they don't Apple is just crazy.

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm

so my iPhone X updated to 13.1.3 and my battery has gone to shit??
I use my phone in the exact same way at work everyday. I work with kids in the educations field, so my phone is just sitting on my desk most day, and I have a musical therapy type class one hour a day where I use my phone to play music on a Bluetooth speaker. Everyday when I get him my phone has about 40-50 battery left. This is around 5-6pm.

now after this update though? It's not even 3pm and my phone is at 20%. I checked and nothing suspicious or new is running in the background and my battery health is still. 95%.

I'll see if it's the same test of the week, if yes then I'll take it tot he apple store. Not happy thought, something seems to have happened in the last 24 hours to cause this.

Battery life normally degrades a bit temporarily when you update.

I'd also check and make sure the update hasn't turned on stuff you had off that would consume more battery.

If it persists though definitely take it in. That kind of drain seems excessive. Personally haven't noticed any significant changes on my phone or watch .

Deleted member 2474

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The escape key alone would be a reason to change machines, again. God I hate tapping into thin air :/
I also constantly lock my MacBook when I want to use the fingerprint scanner.

It's still a tough sell though, if they don't do anything about the rest. Like the crap thermals, loud fans and poor keyboard. Well, they'll address the keyboard, if they don't Apple is just crazy.

the rumor is the 16" pro uses a scissor switch keyboard.

given that it's a larger machine and is likely using the same CPU class as the 15" pro, i imagine thermals will be a bit better too. although i also suspect they'll be using slightly beefier GPUs than the 15" which may negate that. the PSU for the 16" model is supposedly 97w (up from 85w on the 15" pro) so there's definitely more power draw somewhere (and the GPU would make the most sense since that's where the current models are most lacking). who knows

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
If the machine stays as thin as the current one, I don't see how the thermals can improve to be honest. But the iPhone 11s got thicker, right? So there is hope.

The one I currently have goes all in with it's fans whenever I do anything with it. I mean, it's plenty fast and does not throttle below base clocks afaik, but it's jsut annoying. It could be so much better.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2474

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the machine stays as thin as the current one, I don't see how the thermals can improve to be honest. But the iPhone 11s got thicker, right? So there is hope.

The one I currently have goes all in with it's fans whenever I do anything with it. I mean, it's plenty fast and does not throttle below base clocks afaik, but it's jsut annoying. It could be so much better.

iphone thinness actually peaked with the iphone 6 and has gotten thicker nearly every year since lol

even if it's the same thickness, the 16" appears to be both taller and wider, which means more room for heat dissipation, slightly larger heatsinks and fans, etc.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I was under the impression, that the vertical space is a major problem though? A very thin heatsink or heatpipe can only do so much, right?

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm still trying to decide if I should buy an Apple TV 4K or wait for something new. Mac Rumors Buyer's guide says don't buy but I have a feeling there won't be a new model this fall.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Now I'm even more unsure if I should wait.. weird that they didn't want to launch a new one with Apple TV+

Games aside there isn't much I'd want from a new one. I even like the remote.. ergonomic concerns aside I love the shortcuts for ff/rw and the touch pad. It takes some getting used to but at this point I'd rather use it than my Logitech.

Mar 3, 2018
Any downsides to buying a 2017 MacBook Pro? 13" 128gb ssd 8gb ram 2.3ghz i5

helping a friend buy a laptop. The new models in canada are too $$$ and he found this one basically in new condition.
I remembered hearing there were some keyboard issues etc so wanted to ask

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I'm booked in at the Apple Store to have a new battery in my iPhone 6S. Should be quick and painless, yes? I don't want to leave it with them for long

Oct 25, 2017
I'm booked in at the Apple Store to have a new battery in my iPhone 6S. Should be quick and painless, yes? I don't want to leave it with them for long
Yes. Mine took less than a half an hour. I went to the movies and came back to it being done. (except they messed it up and broke my phone so I got a new replacement for free. lol)

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Yes. Mine took less than a half an hour. I went to the movies and came back to it being done. (except they messed it up and broke my phone so I got a new replacement for free. lol)
I actually hope they do that to mine. The front mic has gone screwy so I have to yell at Siri, and this phone was a cheap one from eBay which has that awful loud shutter sound in the camera app, that can't be muted. Pervert deterrent I think.

Gamespawn

Oct 25, 2017
Is there really no way to trigger touchpad buttons with the PS4 Remote Play app for iOS? Not seeing anything touchpad-related in the UI, and a bluetooth-connected DS4 worked perfectly fine with my iPad, except for the touchpad.

I was excited to finally give it a proper try with Cold Steel 3 since playing on my only TV is a much bigger hassle than playing on PC/iPad whenever my GF is around, but no touchpad kills it for me considering that major features are tied to it in CS3.

e: the app page (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ps4-remote-play/id1436192460) says "However, to use the PS button or the touch pad function, use the on-screen controller"... But how? Like I said, I'm not seeing anything touchpad-related on the iPad screen. Anyone?
hold device vertical.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Dropped off my Macbook Pro for service at my local Apple Store and while in there I was overhearing employees helping customers, both with technical issues and general questions and it made miss specialty retail work.

I used to work at CompUSA when it was still around, and I really enjoyed talking to customers and showing them new technology. It's something I miss--daily human interaction and whatnot.

I might apply for a part-time job there just to see if it gets accepted.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I've been pricing out 2019 Macbook Pros from various outlets to see what my best deal is, regardless of what happens with my current 2016 Macbook Pro, as I'm kinda tempted to just start over fresh regardless.

Unsurprisingly Apple's refurbished offerings are the best dealwith a lone Adorama exception. They're currently offering the 2.4Ghz 13" MBP with 16GB of RAM and a 512GB SSD with a year of Applecare included for free via a promo code. End total is $2200, almost $150 cheaper than the next cheapest option that's accounting for Applecare's cost.

Unfortunately while it'd be nice to have the 16GB of RAM as futureproofing and to raise the future resale value of the computer, I don't know if I honestly need that much RAM, and as far as I can tell the 2.4Ghz processor isn't really a whole lot faster in real-world circumstances than the 1.4Ghz model. (Other differences seem to be negligible: extra TB3/USB-C ports, better speakers, etc.)

XqtoTgK.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys, is it possible to get a dead pixel on an apple watch fixed? Does anyone know the cost to do so?

it is not in warranty

edit: nevermind found it

the reason i ask is i sold a S3 watch on ebay. Nothing wrong with it.Buyer leaves positive feedback. Three days later wants a refund because a dead pixel makes itself known "half the time".

anyone have any thoughtS?

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018
sold my iPhone X and got the 11 pro. Very happy with it.

now though, I really need the new AirPods to be announced already. I need AirPods since mine got destroyed, but I don't wanna buy the current ones with all the rumours going around.

my friend joked and said just buy and keep returning them and rebutting every 14 days until new ones come out.

inb4 I get banned from the Apple store

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, is it possible to get a dead pixel on an apple watch fixed? Does anyone know the cost to do so?

it is not in warranty

edit: nevermind found it

the reason i ask is i sold a S3 watch on ebay. Nothing wrong with it.Buyer leaves positive feedback. Three days later wants a refund because a dead pixel makes itself known "half the time".

anyone have any thoughtS?

I assume it's a full screen replacement thing at that point, which isn't really cost effective to fix outside of warranty. I was an idiot and cracked my S4's glass and even if I did the repairs myself the cost would come to something like 75% the cost of just buying a new one.

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So the difference of apple watch nike edition compared to the other watches (like sport band) are just the bands? That's it? There's no exclusive on that?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
So the difference of apple watch nike edition compared to the other watches (like sport band) are just the bands? That's it? There's no exclusive on that?
I don't think the bands are exclusive even (don't hold me to that tho, never cared for the Nike watches at all), but I know there are exclusive watch faces. 🤷‍♂️

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
There's exclusive watch faces. You can get the bands seperately.

But the watch faces suck, they literally come with bloatware.
The one on the Series 3 had a permanent 'nike run club' complication you can't remove ...

marmalade

Nov 28, 2018
How long does it take to repair a MBP 2018 keyboard with sticky keys in Los Angeles, CA?

Is there any way to remove dust or whatever from key without voiding warranty?

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
How long does it take to repair a MBP 2018 keyboard with sticky keys in Los Angeles, CA?

Is there any way to remove dust or whatever from key without voiding warranty?
I want to know this too (though Seattle for me, not sure if that matters). Also do they actually wipe your hdd? I need to get my battery serviced and this at some point.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
My frend joked and said just buy and keep returning them and rebutting every 14 days until new ones come out.

inb4 I get banned from the Apple store
Not sure if Apple is different, but at some other store I got a cell phone from the 14 day return was 14 days from the first initial purchase, so they didn't stack.

Like I returned the iPhone 5 I had gotten after 10 days (screen was too small for me), and got a Note 2 instead, but from that point I only had 4 days to return it if I had an issue with it.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
So when exactly should I expect the HomePod multi-user update? I don't understand why we have not even seen it in a Dev Beta?

will we even see it next month?

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I think we need another iPad. We currently use an iPad Pro 9,7" and I really love it. It has been always fast and fluid, the speakers are great.

Now we need another one, the fucking Fire Table Kids of my son drives me crazy.

What should I get? I'll use it too, so it has to be an improvement over the old 9,7 Pro. We don't use any accessories right now, so pencil compatibility is not an issue.
The current Pro is too expensive for my liking, and I don't need the power. Should I get an older 10,5" iPad Pro? Or the current Air? The 120Hz screen is very appealing, but it also has a slower processor, right?

Deleted member 2474

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think we need another iPad. We currently use an iPad Pro 9,7" and I really love it. It has been always fast and fluid, the speakers are great.

Now we need another one, the fucking Fire Table Kids of my son drives me crazy.

What should I get? I'll use it too, so it has to be an improvement over the old 9,7 Pro. We don't use any accessories right now, so pencil compatibility is not an issue.
The current Pro is too expensive for my liking, and I don't need the power. Should I get an older 10,5" iPad Pro? Or the current Air? The 120Hz screen is very appealing, but it also has a slower processor, right?

a10x vs a12 is kind of a wash, and the 10.5" pro has quad speakers, the 120hz display, and a better camera which are all missing on the 2019 air. i think it's the better ipad overall.

Mar 3, 2018
Speaking of iPads, I'm in the verge of buying a pro 12.9 but then I was reading macrumors and the forums and people are saying a new refresh is right around the corner? I Thought they weren't going to have a new revision until March 2020

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Dropped off my MacBook Pro for a keyboard replacement Thursday night, the 24th, and got an e-mail this morning, the 27th, that it was available for pickup.

That's some fuckin' snappy service.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got my wifi iphone 11, currently has pixel 2 with Android 10 on. Move ios data transfer won't connect at all and she REALLY needs to transfer her stuff. Getting "can't communicate with device" error. I've googled all possible solutions and nothing. What the hell can i do? Is there any 3rd party apps just as good? I really hate they don't even give you a chance to transfer after the phone is set up.

- disconnected from all wifi connections
- rebooted
- connected to iphone directly by putting in the password ex. iOS 5647
- just let it connect on it's own, stuck in a loop

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Dropped off my MacBook Pro for a keyboard replacement Thursday night, the 24th, and got an e-mail this morning, the 27th, that it was available for pickup.

That's some fuckin' snappy service.
Customer service and repairs are one of the single biggest reasons to stick with Apple. Lots of stuff they can just do same day at an Apple store