• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
the thing that gets me about the idea of a full-lineup ARM transition for the mac is that i just cannot imagine apple bothering to make unique custom CPU designs for a product as niche and low-volume as the mac pro

at this point there's too much smoke for there not to be a fire coming from an ARM macbook in the nearish future, but i still can't really grasp how they plan to reach the entire mac line top-to-bottom

I think they wouldn't care about the lower runs if they treat it like the Halo car of their chip design.

I feel like they don't really feel the need to rush, though. The foundation with Swift in Catalina is there but it's still pretty rough.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Are the Replay [Year] playlists only for US Apple Music subscribers right now? I saw the news story on macrumours yesterday but I still don't see the replay playlists in the For You tab on my Canadian account.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Are the Replay [Year] playlists only for US Apple Music subscribers right now? I saw the news story on macrumours yesterday but I still don't see the replay playlists in the For You tab on my Canadian account.
It hasn't shown up for me either but it was available localized in the web player (via the direct link)

Thickstone

Oct 27, 2017
Do you feel that an iPad + keyboard combo would work to replace a MacBook?

I'm a teacher and I use my MacBook Pro (non tb) and an iPad mini 5. It works great but I would love to have an all in one device.

My requirements are:

- I need MS Word. Has the iOS version caught up?
- I need a hassle free way to store my data. Isn't the data app considered to be garbage?

Are there any downsides at all? Selling my MB Pro and iPad would cover the cost of a refurbished iPad Pro with 256GB, pencil 2 and the keyboard folio.

I want it but I'm scared.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you feel that an iPad + keyboard combo would work to replace a MacBook?

I'm a teacher and I use my MacBook Pro (non tb) and an iPad mini 5. It works great but I would love to have an all in one device.

My requirements are:

- I need MS Word. Has the iOS version caught up?
- I need a hassle free way to store my data. Isn't the data app considered to be garbage?

Are there any downsides at all? Selling my MB Pro and iPad would cover the cost of a refurbished iPad Pro with 256GB, pencil 2 and the keyboard folio.

I want it but I'm scared.

• MS Word for the iPad is very polished and feature rich. I don't think you'll run into any issues using it for normal use.
  • iCloud works flawlessly for me
I actually have several coworkers that have ditched their Macbooks and solely use their iPad Pro + Smart Keyboard Folio, and it works pretty much flawlessly. For word processing + e-mail + web browsing + media consumption, it's kind of the perfect device (as long as you're okay with how the Smart Keyboard Folio feels when typing).

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Is the newest iPad Mini a good device to browse Era and the web in general? Will the size do me any good, when I have an iPhone 11?

Thickstone

Oct 27, 2017
  • MS Word for the iPad is very polished and feature rich. I don't think you'll run into any issues using it for normal use.
  • iCloud works flawlessly for me
I actually have several coworkers that have ditched their Macbooks and solely use their iPad Pro + Smart Keyboard Folio, and it works pretty much flawlessly. For word processing + e-mail + web browsing + media consumption, it's kind of the perfect device (as long as you're okay with how the Smart Keyboard Folio feels when typing).

Sounds great, I should probably bite.

One thing though. They probably release new iPad Pros in early 2020, right? Should I just wait and get the new one? The price for the current one with 256gb is about 889€ (Apple refurbished). The price would probably drop further if they release the new one, correct?

On a different note, they seem to erase devices which are too similar to their new ones (see iPhone X - XS). This means that the iPad Pro 2018 could probably just vanish.

It's a pain deciding on the perfect moment to buy new tech 😅

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Is the newest iPad Mini a good device to browse Era and the web in general? Will the size do me any good, when I have an iPhone 11?

iPhone XS:

IZPr0PQ.png

iPad Mini 4:
Landscape
SpP9Q4A.png

Portrait
jbyKlot.png

The main difference between iPads and iPhones, beyond the screen real estate, when browsing the web is that the iPad gets served Desktop versions of web pages.
Also, the iPad allows you to browse the web while having Youtube open, side-by-side. That's not possible on iPhones.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for a detailed response, Fliesen!

Up until my girlfriend got her new iPad Air and i replaced my first gen Air with her Mini 4 i would have told you "meh, don't bother" Because the first Gen Air never got iOS 13 - which was the update that added the 'desktop class safari browser' and also because this generation of iPads also never supported side-by-side multitasking - so it was really mostly just a larger iOS device.

Funnily, i find _posting_ on ERA more cumbersome on the iPad than on the phone or the Macbook. There is this weird new 'hovering' iPhone-sized keyboard on iPad OS now, but i'm not sure i like that one. And for the full sized keyboard, you really have to put the iPad on your lap, which is weird.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I just replaced my trashcan Mac Pro's stock CPU with an E5-2667 v2.
First time ever working with an anti-static setup, and I was nervous as hell when plugging the machine back.
Relieved when the Apple logo showed up on display.

Oct 25, 2017
I just replaced my trashcan Mac Pro's stock CPU with an E5-2667 v2.
First time ever working with an anti-static setup, and I was nervous as hell when plugging the machine back.
Relieved when the Apple logo showed up on display.

Yeah the first couple times you do serious surgery it's always scary. Especially on the Mac Pros, they're pretty tough to get at the CPU.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I just noticed I don't receive AppStore receipts via E-Mail any more starting November. Anyone else?
The link for accessing your receipts in the browser opens the fucking Music app on Catalina btw 🤦‍♂️

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Mail on iOS13 is driving me nuts.

i pick up my phone and see that I have 5 new messages (arbitrary). I click the icon and wait while they all download.

I want them to already be downloaded. Why isn't this happening in the background? Is there a setting I'm missing? Seems dumb.

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017

i pick up my phone and see that I have 5 new messages (arbitrary). I click the icon and wait while they all download.

I want them to already be downloaded. Why isn't this happening in the background? Is there a setting I'm missing? Seems dumb.
Same. Only started in iOS13.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Something is really broken with this, it's not just you.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I just noticed I don't receive AppStore receipts via E-Mail any more starting November. Anyone else?
The link for accessing your receipts in the browser opens the fucking Music app on Catalina btw 🤦‍♂️
My daughter bought Procreate yesterday and I received an email receipt for it this morning.

I remember reading a while ago about some limitations of push notifications for email, even iCloud mail (which is all I use).

Oct 25, 2017
I found the single socket Mac Pro 2010 to be super easy. Pull out the tray, remove the heatsink assembly. Boom.

It's definitely one of the easier Macs of yore. Upgraded mine to a W3680.

But it's always super-daunting I think for a lot of people getting into upgrades. There's a reason most people don't bother with them, even before Apple made it harder.

I think swapping my hard drive for solid-state in my old iPod classic was the most finicky work I've had to do, followed by swapping the SSD in my 2011 Mac mini.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Guys I'm ordering the 16 inch MacBook Pro.. However I'm not sure if I pick the 5500M 4GB or 8GB... I usually just play world of warcraft & Civilization 6 on holidays and do some virtualisation in paralels and VM Fusion.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
I cracked my iPhone 11 Pro Max in the same week that I got it.

It sucks that no matter what, it's a $99 fee to get a refurbished phone. I thought that a 30-day thing would apply, since I just got it. :/

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
The debit card I've always used for my Apple account is suddenly for some reason being declined and Apple's asking me to update my payment settings, has this happened to anyone else? The account definitely has money. No pending charges.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the HomePod wasn't supposed to count against the Apple Music streams limit, or am I mistaken?
Didn't they say it wouldn't count, if you don't have a family play, that it wouldn't count as a device playing the music?

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Question about the TouchBar. I just got my 16" and am learning about it. Never had a machine with one.

So is there a way to toggle between the four states of the TouchBar? i.e. F-keys, App controls, Control strip, Spaces? For some reason Preferences only lets you choose two and you toggle them with Fn. So like if I want the Control Strip but also the App Controls I can't get function keys as well? Or if I choose Function and also App controls, I can never change the volume or brightness from there ever again?

Is there really no modifier that I can press to switch to the Control Strip if say I have F-keys displayed by default and App Controls with Fn? That seems like a silly oversight. Why have all four options if you can't get to all four? I mean they have perfectly good Control and Option keys right there, why not make each of them show the other two? Can BTT maybe enable this?

Yes, I know I can have the miniature Control Strip available if I choose App Controls as the default, but not if I have App Controls as the alternate. And then the control strip is on the right so I have to use two hands just to use it if I were able to put it there.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if this is iOS 13 bug or something going wrong with my 6S Plus (which is only 18 months old) but for a few weeks now downloads aren't automated. I thought this was a bug in Overcast since podcasts weren't downloading on WiFi automatically, but initiating them myself when on WiFi would only have them be pending. Then I noticed that app downloads wouldn't happen even on WiFi. They would also just be pending. Then the last update, 13.2.2, wouldn't download on WiFi. Only way to keep fixing this problem, which happens maybe once a week, is to do a hard reboot of the phone. Resetting network settings isn't doing it. Software or hardware bug, you think? I got this iPhone brand new 18 months ago because the WiFi died when doing a battery replacement with Apple, but now I'm worried the WiFi could be dying again. I want to make it to next October for the new phones.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm trying to listen to music and charge my iPhone at the same time. Should I buy a cheap little adapter on Amazon or from Apple's site? Not sure if there's more of a risk from using the cheap ones

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been considering getting an Apple Watch for a while now, and the timing of my new office job seems like the best time (no pun intended) to get one.

But there's a lot about Apple's watches I don't know about. I've heard conflicting reports about how it works exactly: do I need to have my phone within proximity of my watch in order to make calls/go online? While I'll most likely have my phone with me 99% of the time, it would be nice to not have to carry it around when I go jogging or other exercises (I would still want it to be online to use things like YouTube or Spotify).

I also understand there are different finishes, like aluminum, as well as different types of straps. I'm a big dude who sometimes bumps into things, so I wouldn't want a fragile watch screen, but I don't want to pay out the nose for something unnecessary as far as impact protection. If it's at least as durable as an iPhone then that's good enough for me.

Lastly, what are the big differences between the current model and the previous generation?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
But there's a lot about Apple's watches I don't know about. I've heard conflicting reports about how it works exactly: do I need to have my phone within proximity of my watch in order to make calls/go online? While I'll most likely have my phone with me 99% of the time, it would be nice to not have to carry it around when I go jogging or other exercises (I would still want it to be online to use things like YouTube or Spotify).

I also understand there are different finishes, like aluminum, as well as different types of straps. I'm a big dude who sometimes bumps into things, so I wouldn't want a fragile watch screen, but I don't want to pay out the nose for something unnecessary as far as impact protection. If it's at least as durable as an iPhone then that's good enough for me.

If you want to leave the phone at home then you need the LTE watch and ~$10/mo service charge.

People will have different opinions on finish but I prefer stainless black b/c it's so impervious to damage. The screen is sapphire glass (vs ion glass on aluminum) and the coating on the stainless is really durable. The aluminum is obviously more fragile in terms of scratches. The traditional stainless will also accumulate scratches, as will titanium. The main advantage of titanium is the look and weight.

The flip side argument for aluminum is just save money and replace it more often.

The S5 has a compass and "always on" display. Otherwise it's a S4.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you want to leave the phone at home then you need the LTE watch and ~$10/mo service charge.

People will have different opinions on finish but I prefer stainless black b/c it's so impervious to damage. The screen is sapphire glass (vs ion glass on aluminum) and the coating on the stainless is really durable. The aluminum is obviously more fragile in terms of scratches. The traditional stainless will also accumulate scratches, as will titanium. The main advantage of titanium is the look and weight.

The flip side argument for aluminum is just save money and replace it more often.

The S5 has a compass and "always on" display. Otherwise it's a S4.

Unless I got lost in the Blair Witch forest I don't know why I would ever feasibly need a compass.

How does the always on display work though? Do previous gens just go to sleep like a regular iPhone and turn back on when I get notifications or look directly at the watch?

I don't know why people would want an always on option. Doesn't that drain more battery? What if you're in a movie theater?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Unless I got lost in the Blair Witch forest I don't know why I would ever feasibly need a compass.

How does the always on display work though? Do previous gens just go to sleep like a regular iPhone and turn back on when I get notifications or look directly at the watch?

I don't know why people would want an always on option. Doesn't that drain more battery? What if you're in a movie theater?

I don't have one (disclaimer) but the always on essentially goes into a low power persistent display state with super low refresh rate. Imagine low refresh rate, dimmer display for always on, getting brighter when you use it.

The regular watch is just black and when you raise your wrist or tap it, it lights up. There is some battery life impact but I don't think it's major.

Biggest benefit is that you can see the time or workout app from an angle. Say when you are typing and give it a glance, where with previous versions you get used to raising your arm to face the watch toward your face to light it up (or tapping it). I suppose S5 has aesthetic benefit as well if you want it to look more like a normal watch when others glance at it.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a way to completely turn off WiFI and Bluetooth on the iPhone without going into the settings menu?

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't have one (disclaimer) but the always on essentially goes into a low power persistent display state with super low refresh rate. Imagine low refresh rate, dimmer display for always on, getting brighter when you use it.

The regular watch is just black and when you raise your wrist or tap it, it lights up. There is some battery life impact but I don't think it's major.

Biggest benefit is that you can see the time or workout app from an angle. Say when you are typing and give it a glance, where with previous versions you get used to raising your arm to face the watch toward your face to light it up (or tapping it). I suppose S5 has aesthetic benefit as well if you want it to look more like a normal watch when others glance at it.

How much "motion" is usually required to get the screen back on? Normally when I check my watch I just shift my wrist sideways and glance at the time.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
Shortcuts (maybe Siri directly? Not sure)
As far as I can tell, using the shortcuts you can only turn off the WiFI/Bluetooth in the sense that they won't be looking for other devices but they won't turn off completely which is something you can do from the settings menu

I wonder if the 2 are the as far as battery life goes for example