• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Audiobooks are in the Books app now.
Yeah, they should be, but mine aren't.

Actually I don't even remember if you uploaded them to iCloud via iTunes? Perhaps not. But irrespective of that I have only changed phones once since then and restored my backup (which – damn, it just dawned on me – was also iCloud-based). I guess they're lost? Man, kind of a weird clusterfuck but luckily they weren't that important and I probably still have the rips stored locally. Apparently audiobooks you add via Catalina Books.app don't iCloud sync either though. So weird.

E: You know what, I'll just drop them in Music and won't waste more time on this. iCloud sync should work there.

Last edited:

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Shouldn't the Favorites folder be next to the Latest, not under?
nVg3HwT.jpg

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Mack Nope, the folders scroll sideways, the 'pane' is two rows.
As soon as you add additional albums (or certain photo editing apps create albums for their exports) you'll see :)

fkhPI9n.jpg

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Got my Apple Card in the mail, that thing feels damn fine. Surprised to find that it is white though, was expecting it to be all stainless.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
i'm absolutely on board with a phone that's larger than my XS.

6.1 is the size of the XR / 11, right?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

hopefully the 2021 iPhone has USBC instead.

Well, seeing as it says "highest end model without lightning", their argument for the iPad pro was that "USB-C" is kind of a pro feature, and the fact that their highest end phones are now also called "pro", USB-C seems like a safe bet

I don't think that the iPhone 12 is going to have a lightning port and the 12 pro will have no port on the bottom whatsoever.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Wouldn't a port-less phone absolutely horrible for quick charging? Doesn't wireless charging end at 10W or something like that?

Oct 25, 2017
Will this form of HDR be inferior or equal to the HDR seen in OLED TVs?

Or is it too early to tell?

I'm honestly not aware of any head-to-head examples. If it's quoted at the same HDR spec though it shouldn't matter.

hopefully the 2021 iPhone has USBC instead.

We would have gotten ten years of Lightning at that point, longer than we were on 30 pin dock connectors.

I like lightning better as a port (having the pins in the port rather than the cable is always a bad idea, and the USB-C ports are so loose as is) but having one port to rule them all is still a fair tradeoff.

Also being able to have a single power adapter to charge all my devices would be awesome.

Oct 26, 2017
All,

i just got my daughter her first phone line and iphone

Question is how do I set her up in the ecosystem? She's too young for email so I'm thinking of using my Apple ID. If i do that, how do I ensure she doesn't see my imessages, etc.

Any other tips to activate safety measures? Find my iphone, notifications to my phone if she walks out of the house, screen time limits etc

thanks for any help

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
All,

Question is how do I set her up in the ecosystem? She's too young for email so I'm thinking of using my Apple ID. If i do that, how do I ensure she doesn't see my imessages, etc.

Any other tips to activate safety measures? Find my iphone, notifications to my phone if she walks out of the house, screen time limits etc

thanks for any help

Oct 25, 2017
Still think it's bullshit Apple includes the dinky ass 5watt charger with the iPhone 11.

That being said I bit on this so I'm part of the problem.

8fa38362-fe38-4959-8o0jg6.jpeg

I don't really want a 18W charger under normal circumstances just because of the size; if they had a >5W charger that was significantly closer to the size of the former, I'd take it under almost every circumstance. My normal use case is just charging at night or if I'm on the go using an external battery, so the lack of the fast charger ultimately doesn't matter much to me.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to see what resolution a show is playing on Apple TV+ on the Mac app? I have the newest 13'' MBP which I suppose is able to play 4K on the App but the picture is a bit blurry to my eyes when compared to Netflix for example. Hmm.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
All,

thanks for any help

Honestly, i wouldn't set up her AppleID with your email, but rather set her up an own AppleID, with her own iCloud email address. You can choose to not use that email address as an email mailbox, or have that email address forward to your phone, for the time being, and you can restrict the phone like crazy with family sharing and parental controls.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
Well, seeing as it says "highest end model without lightning", their argument for the iPad pro was that "USB-C" is kind of a pro feature, and the fact that their highest end phones are now also called "pro", USB-C seems like a safe bet

I don't think that the iPhone 12 is going to have a lightning port and the 12 pro will have no port on the bottom whatsoever.
Personally, I think it's going to get harder and harder for them to pull something like removing a physical port as the amount of new functionality in each iPhone generation becomes less and less impactful. Particularly outside of the major refreshes.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I hope they move to USB-C for the next iPhone rather than just nix the port. I'd still like that high speed IO port as an option for things other than charging.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
What's the best option for a charger for a Magic Mouse 2 in ya'lls opinions? Considering my Macbook only has two USB-C slots.

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
I've just moved back to an iPhone, my first since the 6. I'm stoked to see you can finally change default apps but it doesn't seem to work 100% of the time? Specifically I've changed my default browser to chrome but occasionally links still seem to open in safari. Is this common?

Also is there a way to get the phone to see all of my google stored passwords for apps etc? it only pulls from safari.

Also I'm having Bluetooth issues in that my headphones (WF-1000XM3) sometimes don't reconnect after not being used for a couple of hours or when swapped to iPad and back again. This wasn't an issue on android and on the rare occasion it was I'd just tap the case against the phone and they'd be connected instantly, which also doesn't seem to work on iOS.

Loving my 11 pro otherwise!

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I'm stoked to see you can finally change default apps but it doesn't seem to work 100% of the time? Specifically I've changed my default browser to chrome but occasionally links still seem to open in safari. Is this common?

Also is there a way to get the phone to see all of my google stored passwords for apps etc? it only pulls from safari.
I think it's up to app developers to decide how links are opened. Some apps let you choose a different browser in settings, some just use Safari, and some even use a built-in Safari so you don't need to leave the app.

Apps can pull from third-party password managers instead of your iCloud keychain, but can't use other browsers' saved passwords.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of opening links, weird embedded browsers in apps need to die. Telegram is particularly bad about this - if I click a link in a chat, why would I ever not want it to open in an actual Safari tab? Instead it opens in this strange Telegram-Safari hybrid.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Speaking of opening links, weird embedded browsers in apps need to die. Telegram is particularly bad about this - if I click a link in a chat, why would I ever not want it to open in an actual Safari tab? Instead it opens in this strange Telegram-Safari hybrid.

Yea, wrappers. Some of the apps from our vendors at work do this, especially for mobile. Why even invest the time and money? Just tell people to use a browser.

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's up to app developers to decide how links are opened. Some apps let you choose a different browser in settings, some just use Safari, and some even use a built-in Safari so you don't need to leave the app.

Apps can pull from third-party password managers instead of your iCloud keychain, but can't use other browsers' saved passwords.

cheers for the info, that makes sense.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, wrappers. Some of the apps from our vendors at work do this, especially for mobile. Why even invest the time and money? Just tell people to use a browser.
They don't want you to leave the app though. On one hand, they want for you to come back after you opened the link, on the other hand, they don't want their app possibly flushed from memory because Safari used up the RAM.

Also, they want to use their own implementation of 'share' sheets and not the generic iOS one. Like, especially social media and messaging apps.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Unless they have created some new revolutionary wireless charging tech, no way. (and judging by AirPower, that's not likely)

It's just unbearably slow. Only decent for overnight or if it's really going to sit for a while.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Also, while i wasn't a fan of the whole "oh my god, they dropped the headphone jack, what if i wanna listen to music AND charge the phone at the same time" panic, i really don't think a wireless only phone is a good idea.

Like, that means you have to literally put down the phone to charge it.

Also, what's with battery banks? do i need to rubber tie the phone to the wireless battery bank to charge it in my pocket or bag?

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Vscode is so good. I can't believe it's free. It's really the awesome open source packages that make it good. But still I find it a lot faster than ATOM especially when working on a large project. Even if both are electron.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Also, while i wasn't a fan of the whole "oh my god, they dropped the headphone jack, what if i wanna listen to music AND charge the phone at the same time" panic, i really don't think a wireless only phone is a good idea.

Like, that means you have to literally put down the phone to charge it.

Also, what's with battery banks? do i need to rubber tie the phone to the wireless battery bank to charge it in my pocket or bag?

It would suck for those with long commutes or who spend a lot of time on the road. I have have neither problem, but I do plug my phone into my car console for CarPlay. The system in my Honda supports CarPlay or Android Auto over bluetooth (dealer told me that might be in a future firmware update but he doubts it), only wired. I would have to pass on an iPhone without an IO port and go back to Android - which I really do not want to do.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to download an SD or lower quality version of movies I've bought on iTunes? Want to load up for a flight and dotn want to waste 5gb per movie - I want to have lots downloaded to choose from (and then actually not watch)

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Hello all. I asked this in the iOS 13 thread. But I'll also ask it here. I haven't updated to iOS 13 because of all the bugs it has. I'm wondering if anyone here has updated to iOS 13, but still experiencing issues?

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Are you not able to update to 10.15.1 for some reason? (<--- new to Mac)
No no. I have an iPhone XS. I'm currently running iOS 12.4.1. I haven't upgraded to iOS 13 yet because for most folks it's been a huge hot buggy mess. I'm seeing if folks here are still having issues with the latest build or if it's okay to go ahead an update. 🙂

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
No no. I have an iPhone XS. I'm currently running iOS 12.4.1. I haven't upgraded to iOS 13 yet because for most folks it's been a huge hot buggy mess. I'm seeing if folks here are still having issues with the latest build or if it's okay to go ahead an update. 🙂

So sorry, missed the iOS part.

I have an iPhone 11 Pro, been running 13.2.3. I haven't noticed any bugs yet. I use it pretty heavily, too, for work and play.

Edit: Wait! I just remembered one issue - sometimes I now have to unlock my phone to get CarPlay to connect. Like one in five rides. Aside from that no problems