• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I do though. The Apple Pay ding still happens when I use my watch to pay and it is on mute.. I dunno, I guess it might be a random bug for me?
Either that or alternatively I don't notice the sound because I'm in a noisy place, but I think a mute from the watches control turns off all sound except Siri.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I do.

i'll pay attention tomorrow. I could SWEAR that there's no sound, but I might just always be in a noisy environment or wearing headphones 🤔

The only reason why I notice, I guess, is because when I make a purchase on my laptop at work with Apple Pay on a site that uses it, I have to confirm on my watch and it makes the noise when the purchase is complete. Everyone in the cubicles around me will hear it. I'm pretty sure I've heard the noise at a register too.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Alright you longtime Apple people, I have a question. When did Apple start forcing new Apple IDs to be email addresses? I'm asking because I helped a couple customers that had accounts SO OLD they were just usernames, not even email addresses. I've tried to find an article about when this change was made, but can't find one.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Alright you longtime Apple people, I have a question. When did Apple start forcing new Apple IDs to be email addresses? I'm asking because I helped a couple customers that had accounts SO OLD they were just usernames, not even email addresses. I've tried to find an article about when this change was made, but can't find one.

I'm still from the Mobile Me era and mine is an e-mail address.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I kind of want to take off the Breathing notification. It's way too often and I think I breath enough?
Yeah I turned that off after a few weeks when I got my watch. For a while I was actually following it but it became a chore so I disabled it.

Then when I got my new phone and went through the setup process for the watch again it turned on again and I had forgotten what it sounded like so it took me by surprise.

Deleted member 1722

Oct 25, 2017
Very interesting. As far back as I can remember it was always an email. Even pre icloud or mobile me you needed an email for itunes back in like 2001

Feb 26, 2019
For anyone who has airpods pro, have you been having problems getting them to restart music? If music (spotify, libby, whatever) is playing and I pause it, most of the time I have to restart the music on the phone. I reset my airpods to no avail, same goes for the phone. When I reset my phone it seemed to help, but the problem is still intermittent. I'm trying to figure out if it's a widespread problem or if I've got a bad set of airpods. I tried searching around but didn't come up with very much.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm still from the Mobile Me era and mine is an e-mail address.
Very interesting. As far back as I can remember it was always an email. Even pre icloud or mobile me you needed an email for itunes back in like 2001

The best I could find was a help article from 2010 in the internet archives (because it's not up anymore) about converting your username Apple ID to an email one in order to use Find My iPhone. Other than that, I got nothing.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
The best I could find was a help article from 2010 in the internet archives (because it's not up anymore) about converting your username Apple ID to an email one in order to use Find My iPhone. Other than that, I got nothing.

This person said they created an non-email apple ID in 2002

EDIT: My Apple ID in 2001 was an email address but I am not sure if it was forced or choice.

Last edited:

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
The only reason why I notice, I guess, is because when I make a purchase on my laptop at work with Apple Pay on a site that uses it, I have to confirm on my watch and it makes the noise when the purchase is complete. Everyone in the cubicles around me will hear it. I'm pretty sure I've heard the noise at a register too.
So, i went to the grocery store to get lunch, i did ApplePay with my watch and i moved my ear reeeaaally close to the NFC card terminal (i used the self checkout machines, ofc ...) and the only sound i heard was the 'beep' of the terminal indicating my ''''debit card'''' was accepted.
🤔

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So, i went to the grocery store to get lunch, i did ApplePay with my watch and i moved my ear reeeaaally close to the NFC card terminal (i used the self checkout machines, ofc ...) and the only sound i heard was the 'beep' of the terminal indicating my ''''debit card'''' was accepted.
🤔

Thanks for testing lol. I dunno, I guess I could unpair and repair to see if that fixes it but it doesn't really matter.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for testing lol. I dunno, I guess I could unpair and repair to see if that fixes it but it doesn't really matter.
hmmm, i just downloaded the sound effect via

yeah, i definitely get that when i'm paying with ApplePay on my Laptop (via touchID), but i still haven't heard it on the watch.
Are you sure the sound comes from the watch and not your laptop when you use the watch to authenticate a payment on your macbook?

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
hmmm, i just downloaded the sound effect via

yeah, i definitely get that when i'm paying with ApplePay on my Laptop (via touchID), but i still haven't heard it on the watch.
Are you sure the sound comes from the watch and not your laptop when you use the watch to authenticate a payment on your macbook?

I'm pretty sure it comes from my watch as I typically have my laptop muted or use my AirPods. The MacBook asks me to confirm on my Apple Watch, not sure if that is a setting in macOS to do that over Touch ID.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I'm so frustrated and annoyed by my MacBook Pro.

That thing throttles like crazy the moment the GPU is doing some work. And, as I said earlier, it also randomly falls into a sort of low power emergency mode without any load.
I can now take it to the certified Apple repair partner and see what they have to say. I don't expect much. But I probably have to wait 2 weeks until I get it back. :/

Meanwhile I'm using Linux and regret not switching in July.

Jill Sandwich

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure usernames stuff is vintage iTools business.
giphy.gif

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
i have stopped even installing flash like 4 years ago when I had to reinstall macOS.

I have chrome installed for those once-a-year times I actually need to use some flash content on the web.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
I got a question. I recently discovered that iCloud backup would backup whatever files that's stored on local Files app. How do I make it to stop doing that?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I got a question. I recently discovered that iCloud backup would backup whatever files that's stored on local Files app. How do I make it to stop doing that?

Settings
your appleID
iCloud
Manage storage
Backups
iPhone

you can turn off backing up the "Files" App here. It only reports 1.4mb for me though. But I don't really use local files.

samyy

Oct 25, 2017
I recently got a 2019 iPad Air and am absolutely loving it, I didn't expect to like the tablet experience as much as I am but I can totally see this replacing the need for any kind of laptop for me for personal use. One thing I am kind of regretting now though is that I didn't get the Pro, do you guys think it's worth selling my Air and picking up a Pro If it's just for daily use? Id be picking up a keyboard case as well and essentially be using as my laptop for the next couple of years.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I recently got a 2019 iPad Air and am absolutely loving it, I didn't expect to like the tablet experience as much as I am but I can totally see this replacing the need for any kind of laptop for me for personal use. One thing I am kind of regretting now though is that I didn't get the Pro, do you guys think it's worth selling my Air and picking up a Pro If it's just for daily use? Id be picking up a keyboard case as well and essentially be using as my laptop for the next couple of years.
At this point, hang tight for the next iPad refresh. But the iPad is more viable than ever as a laptop replacement (so long as you're aware of the limitations), so if you enjoy the experience that much then go for it. It's also worth really considering what you'd actually use the pro for, and if it's worth the upgrade. The Air is a super solid device, and unless you're doing heavy image editing, multitasking, or need for heavy apps, it should be more than fine for you. The Pro is great, but it's generally overkill for anyone but heavy creatives.

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Do iPads tend to go down in price much when the new ones come out? I'm planning on getting a Pro soon and have been told that the expected upgrade the new ones possibly coming in March will have might not be worth spending extra on if I can get a good deal on the current gen. I'm happy enough to spend a bit extra to get one now because im impatient as long as any discounts that come along at the new launch won't be too crazy to miss out on.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
I am trying to decide whether to keep the airpod pros or just go back to the regular ones.

They definitely sound better and the ANC is solid. But I'm discovering I'm just not a big fan of in ear. Somewhat uncomfortable or less stable, I've been going through all sorts of combinations of the included tips but honestly I think I just like the feel and stability of the regular ones better, believe it or not.

But they are nice sounding when I do have a good fit. and more sweat resistant. and I like the aesthetics (particularly the shorter stems) amore. I don't know.

The alternative I think is go back to the regular AirPods and save the money for the next time the Sony WH1000XM3s are on sale.

Do iPads tend to go down in price much when the new ones come out? I'm planning on getting a Pro soon and have been told that the expected upgrade the new ones possibly coming in March will have might not be worth spending extra on if I can get a good deal on the current gen. I'm happy enough to spend a bit extra to get one now because im impatient as long as any discounts that come along at the new launch won't be too crazy to miss out on.

they don't necessarily drop across the board, but you'll see retailers have them on sale for more and more often. The last Pro has already had some good discounts at Best Buy, for example. So I'd imagine that that would continue as the new ones get closer.

But I'd say if you see a good deal anytime before then that you are comfortable paying for than go for it.

If apple decides to straight up discontinue the current model for whatever reason when the new ones come out, it'll possibly be a steeper discount but will also be gone much quicker, though.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Already asked this a bit back, but I'm still trying to decide whether to get the Apple Watch series 4 or 5.

The features on the 5 sound minimal, but I'd still like to hear opinions to help me decide.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Already asked this a bit back, but I'm still trying to decide whether to get the Apple Watch series 4 or 5.

The features on the 5 sound minimal, but I'd still like to hear opinions to help me decide.

What's the price difference between the 4 and the 5? If you can get a god deal on a 4, get that one, imho. It's functionally identical to the 5, apart from the always-on-screen which is actually marginally detrimental to battery life.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

No real reason to get the Series 5 unless you really need that always-on display.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No real reason to get the Series 5 unless you really need that always-on display.

I'm honestly not sure when I would ever potentially need that. Doesn't the 4 just light up when you lift your wrist to look at it or something? And wouldn't having it always on drain the battery more?

I just can't think of any scenario where I would need it to be permanently on.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly not sure when I would ever potentially need that. Doesn't the 4 just light up when you lift your wrist to look at it or something? And wouldn't having it always on drain the battery more?

there _are_ moments when wrist detection fails and when "always-on" the display only refreshes at 1hz and is therefore super low power.

If there were no tradeoff whatsoever the series 5 would be the clear winner, but alas, the series 4 beats it on battery life - depending on your usage patterns that is.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Things like being able to check your watch while working out more easily, or checking your watch when you're in a meeting and you don't want to have to make the obvious gesture of bringing your watch to your face.

Pretty limited use cases. I bought a Stainless Steel Series 4 a few months ago for the same price of an Aluminum Series 5, and I couldn't be happier with the decision.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Played with the Mini 5 and loved the speed and size compared to my Air 2.

Then I played with the Pro... ugh. That 120Hz screen.It just looks too good.

Mini Pro please.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017

Mini Pro please.
MiniLED is definitely nowhere near the localized dimming fidelity of OLED or the futuretech microLED, but apparently the next round of iPad Pros is going to get miniLED - should be quite nice to have that on top of the high refresh rates.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
MiniLED is definitely nowhere near the localized dimming fidelity of OLED or the futuretech microLED, but apparently the next round of iPad Pros is going to get miniLED - should be quite nice to have that on top of the high refresh rates.
On the iPad, more sophisticated local dimming is so sorely needed.

the 4:3 aspect ratio means ANY and all video content will have black bars, cinematic aspect ratio content even moreso...

I actually prefer to watch shit on my XS over my iPad mini simply because , especially in a more dimly lit room, it looks so much better ...

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
On the iPad, more sophisticated local dimming is so sorely needed.

the 4:3 aspect ratio means ANY and all video content will have black bars, cinematic aspect ratio content even moreso...

I actually prefer to watch shit on my XS over my iPad mini simply because , especially in a more dimly lit room, it looks so much better ...
Yup. It'll be a great improvement when it comes (and arguably even moreso than the iPhone, the iPad's available avenues for easy improvements are really just display, camera, and SoC at this point).

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017

Mini Pro please.
My parents have an Air 2, and I can't believe how slow it has gotten over the years. It really does feel like an optimization issue rather than a horsepower/RAM issue, given how powerful the Air 2 was, and how little movement we've gotten on RAM, but I've already got my eyes peeled on a new iPad for them with the rumors that the Air 2 may no longer be supported this fall.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking at getting an iPad Pro 12.9. I'm aware of there possibly being new iPad Pros soon (maybe April?). Is there any chance the price will drop on the 12.9 in the next 4-6 weeks? It seems unlikely, but figured I'd ask before shelling out. :)

Oct 25, 2017
I, uh, think my MacBook's battery is swelling or something? First time using it outside of clamshell mode in a while, and it doesn't lay flat on a table and clicking in the trackpad is difficult. I can't see any damage cosmetically, but this isn't normal.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I, uh, think my MacBook's battery is swelling or something? First time using it outside of clamshell mode in a while, and it doesn't lay flat on a table and clicking in the trackpad is difficult. I can't see any damage cosmetically, but this isn't normal.
Mushy or entirely "unclicky" trackpad is a sign of battery swelling. Experienced that on two MacBooks.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Mines been like that for years, it's fine an just something that happens as the battery swells. It's incredibly expensive to fix but the newer models don't use physical trackpads anymore.