• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
Not really Apple but it's related to iOS' version of Instagram... I'm just having the most frustrating thing with instagram right now. Evidently my account's email has been changed by somebody other than me. Using the reset password link does not work because the email has been changed. Using the "revert" link provided by Instagram did not work. Trying to follow their site's instruction on how to report hacked account does not lead to anywhere. It just leads to their help centre page that says follow on-screen instruction. But the on-screen instruction just gives me direction to get to the help centre. So it's all circular! There is no form here for me to fill out under "Hacked account" section! Apparently there is no real way to be able to email instagram directly either. So who here has experience dealing with instagram in situation like this and can help me? Android users go through slightly different steps, it seems... so I don't know if it's iOS-only.

Last edited:

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So after almost four years of using an iPhone 6S and nearly seven years of using a fourth-gen iPad, I finally upgraded both this weekend. I now have a shiny new purple iPhone 11 and the 2019 iPad.

Let me know if there's any cool new things I might be missing out on.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
So after almost four years of using an iPhone 6S and nearly seven years of using a fourth-gen iPad, I finally upgraded both this weekend. I now have a shiny new purple iPhone 11 and the 2019 iPad.

Congrats! Im jealous of your willpower, it makes every upgrade so substantial. I get the new phone each year, and it's such a waste haha. That said, the 11 is the best iPhone I've had since the 8, it's truly their best device yet imo. Especially coming off of the XS, which was one of their most disappointing in years

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017

The Witness (game) on an OLED iPhone is gorgeous, and a great game too.
Plays better with a controller, but still doable with touch controls.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA

Chrono Trigger is $9.99 for iOS and you can pair a bluetooth Xbox One controller to play it.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, some of that shit is bad, like Apple Care+ ads right at the top in Settings.app with time pressuring. No-go, didn't even know about that. For the other stuff I couldn't care less, just delete Music.app, TV.app and News.app and use a third party one if you don't like it or don't want to use the service.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Yes the services push is making iOS and MacOS worse.

No, it's nowhere near as bad as any of its competitors.

Yes, iOS and MacOS are still much better than the alternatives... and you can turn off all the ads and notifications which I do.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, where else than within the apps should they advertise their services? Like AppleTV+ in the TV app and AppleCard in the Wallet App.
I haven't used the most recent version of the music app without being a subscriber to AppleMusic, so i'm not sure how pushy the implementation is there, but the music app is very clearly designed around having the Music subscription - which is the worst kind of ad.
"if you were a subscriber to our service, all of this would be easier / make sense..."

Like, we're not (yet) getting weird Lock-screen ads and thankfully, even the thing they do in the Settings app is rather low-key. Like, at least they're not using a red badge ...

I feel like Apple advertising AppleCard in Wallet or AppleMusic within the App or even AppleCare within the settings app feels a bit less shady / desperate than shit like consoles advertising individual games on the home screen of your device.

Like, at least Apple advertising their services is some kind of "here's a premium service we're offering to make your device more capable" proposition, as opposed to "here's a game from our store. We didn't make it, we don't care about it, we're just taking a cut if you're buying it"

Like, both are for the same purpose of generating revenue, but one just feels a little less pushy / 'desperate'.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Maybe it's because I purchased Apple Care+ when I purchased my new phone and Macbook, but I've never seen any ads for it within iOS or otherwise. I also don't see any kinds of ads in Wallet, and the Apple TV app seems pretty spartan in both macOS and iOS. Weird. Anywho knock on wood, do not want.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
The only one that bothers me is Apple Arcade getting its own tab in the App Store and making Updates less discoverable. But I don't use News, TV or Music and I don't live in a country that has the Apple Card.

I've never seen the AppleCare ad. Is it just on brand new devices?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm not sure what you all are talking about with these ads. Can someone post a screengrab? I've never seen anything like this

blast0rama

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore, Maryland
Yeah, I'm not sure what you all are talking about with these ads. Can someone post a screengrab? I've never seen anything like this
The original article has a lot of examples. I think it's an awkward situation - I'm not sure how Apple is supposed to make people aware of these services...unless they're supposed to stay completely agnostic?

The Paywalled Garden: iOS is Adware

Over the years, Apple has built up a portfolio of services and add-ons that you pay for. Starting with AppleCare extended warranties and…

EDIT: I should make it clear, I'm totally bought in here - have Apple Music Family, have Apple News+ (since I was subscribing to a few of the magazines as is), have Apple Arcade, and currently have a free year of Apple TV+.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
The only one that bothers me is Apple Arcade getting its own tab in the App Store and making Updates less discoverable. But I don't use News, TV or Music and I don't live in a country that has the Apple Card.

I've never seen the AppleCare ad. Is it just on brand new devices?

Yes, it goes away after 60 days. You can only sign up for Applecare+ in the first 60 days of phone ownership. The ad shows up at the top level of the settings app at the top of the screen.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Im on iPad Pro using Firefox, anyway I can disable the "preview link" while holding over a link? When I do it it previews the page 1 of the thread, but then when I open it in a new tab it opens the second page. Infuriating. Could be a fix in Firefox or in Era settings, I just cant use it like this anymore.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Im on iPad Pro using Firefox, anyway I can disable the "preview link" while holding over a link? When I do it it previews the page 1 of the thread, but then when I open it in a new tab it opens the second page. Infuriating. Could be a fix in Firefox or in Era settings, I just cant use it like this anymore.
On an iPhone, "hide preview" is at the top right of the screen when you hold over a link. Must be somewhere around there on an iPad.

edit: shit you said Firefox. Sorry I'm talking about Safari.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The original article has a lot of examples. I think it's an awkward situation - I'm not sure how Apple is supposed to make people aware of these services...unless they're supposed to stay completely agnostic?

The Paywalled Garden: iOS is Adware

Over the years, Apple has built up a portfolio of services and add-ons that you pay for. Starting with AppleCare extended warranties and…

EDIT: I should make it clear, I'm totally bought in here - have Apple Music Family, have Apple News+ (since I was subscribing to a few of the magazines as is), have Apple Arcade, and currently have a free year of Apple TV+.
Ahh. I have all of these services lol, so stands to reason I wouldn't see the ads. They don't seem like much of a bother to me

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not an Apple subscriber to anything and I don't notice what they're talking about.

I'd say letting people know when the last day to purchase AC+ is isn't an ad but a useful feature.

Music without Apple Music settings is pretty much like the old app. I just don't use radio at all.

Oct 26, 2017
Hold on, the notification in settings reminding you of your timeframe to purchase AppleCare+ is considered an ad?

That's the least invasive ad I've ever seen then. Even the push for it at Apple store is pretty tame. They'll just ask me if I need it, and if not, they told me that you'll see a reminder on the phone in case you should ever need to reconsider.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
The AppleCare ad disappeared for me a while ago. I don't really buy AC for phones or even my Macs but I didn't see it as a really big deal. I find it more annoying that I can't remove the "Recommendations" section from my Storage screen. I don't want to offload my apps or optimize my photos. I have plenty of space free. If I want to do that later I will. It should only show those options if I have like 5GB or less free. I still have like 12GB free and could free up more if I need to.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
i just switched the resolution settings on my 16" to the default settings (i was used to 'sorta-native' 2x retina, which was the default on my rMBP 13")
0ctrXbn.png

I love the screen real estate, but everything being ever so slightly less 'crisp' feels so wrong.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
i just switched the resolution settings on my 16" to the default settings (i was used to 'sorta-native' 2x retina, which was the default on my rMBP 13")
0ctrXbn.png

I love the screen real estate, but everything being ever so slightly less 'crisp' feels so wrong.
My eyes are probably not good enough to see that difference in normal use, but I don't like the increased system load it causes.
It's even worse on an external 4K monitor, which you most likely don'w want to drive at a 2x retina scaling unless you use a 21" monitor for example.

• Apple should have added a retina version of it's old 1680 x 1050 screen long ago
  • we need more 5K monitors, I have no idea why there aren't any :( (beside the overpriced LG display)

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
Outlook is really fucking up on my iPhone 11 these days for some reason. Emails are constantly failing to be sent and being thrown into the draft section.

What app is everyone else using?

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Just curious, is there a device skin company out there that has made skins that attempt to emulate the colors of the iPhone 11 series but fit to iPhone 11 Pro/Pro Max?

Every time I see the green iPhone 11 in person, I really wish my iPhone 11 Pro looked like it, lol. I figure a skin that kinda emulates the colorway might have to exist somewhere but I've had no luck.

I'm really only aware of dbrand and decalgirl, and to be honest I kind of didn't have pleasant experiences with decalgirl the last few times I ordered from them — the skins just didn't seem to be very durable and seemed to show some wear in their color pretty quickly, and seemed to suffer some weird stretch marking when I applied them to my devices... Dbrand makes great skins but they don't have what I'm particularly looking for.

Anyway, not a desperate search on my end, just think I'd invest in something like that if it seemed decent quality and reasonable price.

Oct 26, 2017
Anything I should be mindful of when changing SSD of my 5 year old MacBook Pro? Im considering 1TB Samsung SSD as a replacement with an adapter. I'm thinking of using a USB installer to get either a fresh install of Catalina or Mojave (would just depend on whether it's worth to migrate to Catalina).

Last edited:

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017

Who is in for some $399 next gen over ear headphones with the AirPods branding?

Apple is rumored to be having a march 31st product event.... What kind of additional tech could Apple potentially throw in there that isn't already in the beats studio over ear line?

(If this leak pans out I bet Target owes Apple some serious contractual bank for putting this info into their pricing system too early.)

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
They'd need to have best-in-class noise cancellation and better audio than Bose/Sony for that price.

Oct 25, 2017
With the Music app on OS X Catalina, is there no way to upload songs to iTunes Match anymore? I've added music but I see no way to upload them, nor does the icon that shows them in the cloud exist anywhere anymore, and my old playlists that monitored what was and wasn't in the cloud no longer work...

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I really wonder if these over ear headphones will have an headphone jack and USB-C. It's probably a no to both, which sucks, because I'm sure they will sound great given the recent track record with higher end audio devices and audio in general on their end.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just literally impossible to purchase music on iTunes on MacOS now? The itunes app is gone, and Music app seems only tied to Apple Music (unless I'm being hilariously blind, which is possible).

This...can't be right, can it? I use Apple Music mostly, but there are some albums (like, say, video game OSTs) that can only be purchased in order to add them to my library

Edit: nm, figured it out

Last edited:

Deleted member 31199

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
To be fair, the current Mac mini good but the 10th gen Intel processors are close to out. Keep the same design with space gray and maybe add gold.