• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
thanks Guppeth & grmlin
I haven't had a chance to check my desktop yet but I can't recall it ever having issues in the past.

This happens every so often to me for a few days then it's all normal again.. will give the DNS thing a go. It's weird.. on some days when I have issue some videos load with no issues and I can skip all over them with no problem.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Am I going crazy or have they removed the section for mood based playlists in Apple Music? It doesnt show up for me anymore and i've spent the last 10min looking through the goddamn app on both my ipad and iphone.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
It's ususally my local network that causes the issues if mobile devices like the iPad are the only devices having problems. Did you double check with a laptop for example, that's connected like the iOS devices? Maybe the WLAN channel used by your router is full and causing it? Or the DNS is problematic. Switching to the google or CloudFlare DNS servers could help then.
thanks Guppeth & grmlin
I haven't had a chance to check my desktop yet but I can't recall it ever having issues in the past.

This happens every so often to me for a few days then it's all normal again.. will give the DNS thing a go. It's weird.. on some days when I have issue some videos load with no issues and I can skip all over them with no problem.
For quite a while, iDevices on my network had issues connecting to Instagram of all things. Like pictures and story simply wouldn't load until you did a quick WiFi-off-wifi-on.

i don't quite remember what exactly fixed It, but it was very much an issue of our network environment...
i think resetting the Router to factory defaults and setting the whole network up from scratch did help 😅

Nov 5, 2017
Kinda off topic, but why is no one talking about the release of Spielberg's Amazing Stories on ATV+? The 1st episode was pretty great, IMHO?

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Kinda off topic, but why is no one talking about the release of Spielberg's Amazing Stories on ATV+? The 1st episode was pretty great, IMHO?

I made an OT

www.resetera.com

Amazing Stories |OT| New episodes Fridays on Apple TV+

From visionary producers Steven Spielberg, Edward Kitsis & Adam Horowitz, this reimagining of the classic anthology series transports everyday characters into worlds of wonder, possibility, and imagination. Watch Amazing Stories on the Apple TV app: http://apple.co/Amazing_Stories New...

Nov 5, 2017

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Does Apple ever have any deals? My niece decided she wanted to start college a few years late and I am so proud of her (I am the only college grad in the family) I want to get her a Macbook Pro so she can better study. But as much as I love her, dropping over $1,300 is a bit of a hit to the checking account. Any way to save a few hundred you guys know of? I get a discount at the Apple store due to my employer (Apple gives a discount to anyone working healthcare or healthcare IT, if you didn't know), but it ain't much.

SuperSunBro

Dec 29, 2017
Does Apple ever have any deals? My niece decided she wanted to start college a few years late and I am so proud of her (I am the only college grad in the family) I want to get her a Macbook Pro so she can better study. But as much as I love her, dropping over $1,300 is a bit of a hit to the checking account. Any way to save a few hundred you guys know of? I get a discount at the Apple store due to my employer (Apple gives a discount to anyone working healthcare or healthcare IT, if you didn't know), but it ain't much.

Apple has special pricing for students, but I'm not sure how it works or how much the discount is.

More importantly before buying a computer make sure it fits the needs of the course your niece has entered; some courses may have OS restrictions, and there may even be computer fairs on campus that offer student pricing.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apple has special pricing for students, but I'm not sure how it works or how much the discount is.

More importantly before buying a computer make sure it fits the needs of the course your niece has entered; some courses may have OS restrictions, and there may even be computer fairs on campus that offer student pricing.

This. Check to make sure she can run everything she needs on a Mac.

Also Apple has back to school deals starting over the Summer if they don't need it before then.

Oct 25, 2017

In addition to the student discounts, check out the bookstore at the college. Their computer sales sometimes have discounts far greater than the normal Apple discount.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Any Series 4 Apple Watch users in the thread?

What's your battery life like? I generally get about 12 hours which seems low, and lower than I remember it being in the past, though I could be mis-remembering.

I typically put my watch on my wrist around 9AM and around 9PM it's telling me that I have less than 10% battery left, and it generally dies sometime within the next hour. This is with no workouts, no media streaming, and not even any LTE usage.

Just wanting to see if this is the norm before I ping Applecare tonight to see if they can diagnose an issue (or replace the watch outright)

Check Apple's refurbished site, AppleInsider's price guide, and Best Buy, which has near constant sales on Apple's notebooks.

I made a chart a few months back when I thought I was going to have to buy a new Macbook for the wife and it looks like buying Apple's refurbished hardware is usually your best deal.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017

What's your battery life like? I generally get about 12 hours which seems low, and lower than I remember it being in the past, though I could be mis-remembering.

I typically put my watch on my wrist around 9AM and around 9PM it's telling me that I have less than 10% battery left, and it generally dies sometime within the next hour. This is with no workouts, no media streaming, and not even any LTE usage.

Just wanting to see if this is the norm before I ping Applecare tonight to see if they can diagnose an issue (or replace the watch outright)

Check Apple's refurbished site, AppleInsider's price guide, and Best Buy, which has near constant sales on Apple's notebooks.

I made a chart a few months back when I thought I was going to have to buy a new Macbook for the wife and it looks like buying Apple's refurbished hardware is usually your best deal.
Definitely sounds like something could be up. My Series 4 is usually around 70% at that time if it's starting from a full charge and I usually start wearing it at 730am.

And yeah, I definitely recommend checking out Apple's refurbished stuff. That's where I got my 2017 MacBook Pro a few months after launch and it looked and felt brand new.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

launch model Series 4, 40mm
put it on around 7am
take it off at like 10pm with 40-50% battery left

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Fuck me, my MacBook Pro plays dead again. Last June it did it to me, staying on black screen on boot, only miraculously solved by itself after an OS upgrade through recovery and an (useless) appointment with Genius Bar.
Here we are again! Tried to boot it up this evening, black screen. The mother fucker only boots through recovery, and display only work through HDMI. I'm fed up with this, why can't it just work for the price it costs?

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck me, my MacBook Pro plays dead again. Last June it did it to me, staying on black screen on boot, only miraculously solved by itself after an OS upgrade through recovery and an (useless) appointment with Genius Bar.
Here we are again! Tried to boot it up this evening, black screen. The mother fucker only boots through recovery, and display only work through HDMI. I'm fed up with this, why can't it just work for the price it costs?
Is it a newer one under warranty? I'm assuming not since you haven't had Apple replace it yet.

I mean, even if it's not. Shouldn't be doing that regardless of the age. Not when decade old ones still work.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I'm gonna sell my Macbook Pro. I've used it for like a grand total of maybe 20-30 hours since I bought it... A year ago.

It seems like I really don't need a non-work laptop. I had high hopes of developing some QoL apps for my Watch especially, but since I already do this shit for work, it's incredibly hard to find the energy to learn new programming languages and platforms AND actually create something worthwhile in my free time. It seems the iPad is plenty enough for me.

Last edited:

Reversed

Oct 25, 2017
Back with my cloned drive and the tools... except for the board removal tool (can you believe they forgot to send it?). Somehow I forgot to put the thread on watch. Well, not anymore

Right now it's running on an external drive. Should put it inside as intended soonish. Some observations:
– It's a godsend of speed that I already had on my laptop, gosh. I was dreading the lockups, let alone the crashing reboots on HDD.
– Tested sleep mode and the led does not go on and off. Weird.
– Albeit it's cloned, apps do need to verify themselves (once again) before opening. Dunno if permissions have been defaulted (hope not).
– PDFs on Preview do not splice open each, which strangely happened on HDD whether you started up normally or after a crash (why???)

QOL godsend, folks. This mini just extended its lifetime.
Whenever i replace any hard drive i never do the whole cloning thing. Do you really have so many "OS tweaks" and apps and stuff that you can't just do a fresh reinstall and pull all of your files and apps from local or cloud backups?

www.ifixit.com

Mac mini Late 2014 Hard Drive Replacement

Use this guide to replace the hard drive in your hard-drive-only or Fusion Drive Mac mini Late 2014. This guide was made with a Fusion Drive Mac...

i just followed this iFixit guide when putting an SSD into my MacMini (which serves as a media server for PLEX on the AppleTV but also for when we wanna watch stuff that is only available via web browsers - like certain channels' on-demand video) and it was super easy.
Like 90% of the steps in that guide are just pictures of which screws to unscrew next. There's nothing all too finicky about it.

I have the iFixit toolkit and it's a godsend for any of these kinds of hardware upgrades.
the logic board removal kit i just made myself from a thicker piece of wire. - All it does is pushing down two clips that hold the mainboard assembly in place while at the same time serving as a handle to push said assembly out of the case.

Thank you for the reply and I might pull the logic board with the pair of screwdrivers I got if size fits (as seen on other videos). I'll follow both the ifixit guide along with another tutorial (out of the 10s) on the youtube.

I'm nervous to be honest, lol.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
my MacBook Pro story so far...

replaced my 2014 MBP this summer with a 8 core 15", 32GB Ram. It had really weird performance and thermal issues. Got the logic board replaced at some point.
The repaired MB had better thermals, but in return I got a noisy fan that makes a vibrating sound and an SSD with coil whine. My bluetooth keyboard also looses it's connection and reconnects now all the time. Send it in again: we ran a system check, it's all ok. Next time we will charge you 40€ for the system check. (that was not Apple but Cyberport, where the Apple support wanted me to take in the device)
Yesterday, using it in front of me instead of on the laptop stand connected to my monitor, I also noticed that the case does not sit flat on the table anymore. 🙄 It definitely did before the repairs.

I have never been this disappointed by Apple hardware before. The keyboard, the touchbar, the fucking thermals. And now all the stress to get a properly functioning machine...
Right now I need it for work, but it's quite possible that a Dell or whatever running Linux is coming sooner than later to replace it.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
My aunt was given an iPad that was owned by someone who recently passed.
It's Apple ID locked of course, and I told her there's nothing you can do with it. That is still true correct?

I guess recycle or sell for parts?

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It's Apple ID locked of course, and I told her there's nothing you can do with it. That is still true correct?

If you don't have the original receipt or anything that proves your story, the Apple support will not help you I think

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

Yup, sadly.

Within the last 3 weeks i had this situation twice, where hand-me-downs had been 'wiped' ("erase all settings and data" or whatever) but not had "Find My iPhone" deactivated.
In both cases, we had to ask the previous owner (a very close friend; my cousin) tell me their AppleID password...

Apple should REALLY call this feature something more straightforward.
"iPhone theft prevention"
"iPhone user account lock"

or whatever. "Find my iPhone" sounds like a feature. The name only conveys the "remote location tracking" part, but not the "lock-and-encrypt" one.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
If you don't have the original receipt or anything that proves your story, the Apple support will not help you I think
Yup, sadly.

Within the last 3 weeks i had this situation twice, where hand-me-downs had been 'wiped' ("erase all settings and data" or whatever) but not had "Find My iPhone" deactivated.
In both cases, we had to ask the previous owner (a very close friend; my cousin) tell me their AppleID password...

Apple should REALLY call this feature something more straightforward.
"iPhone theft prevention"
"iPhone user account lock"

or whatever. "Find my iPhone" sounds like a feature. The name only conveys the "remote location tracking" part, but not the "lock-and-encrypt" one.

Yeah, that is what I figured.
Appreciated.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017

Aren't all devices from 5S to X (including iPads with matching processor) vulnerable to the checkra1n exploit that also allows relatively easy activation lock bypass (as in, you as an end user can do it)? Might be worth looking into. I've never done it, so I'm not aware of the downsides that will likely be present, but you should be able to at least use the device.

E:
  • A5 – iPad 2, iPhone 4S, iPad Mini (1st generation)
  • A5X – iPad (3rd generation)
  • A6 – iPhone 5, iPhone 5C
  • A6X – iPad (4th generation)
  • A7 – iPhone 5S, iPad Air, iPad Mini 2, iPad Mini 3
  • A8 – Phone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad mini 4
  • A8X – iPad Air 2 (not supported)
  • A9 – iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus, iPhone SE, iPad (2017) 5th Generation (not supported)
  • A9X – iPad Pro (12.9 in.) 1st generation (not supported), iPad Pro (9.7 in.)
  • A10 – iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, iPad (2018, 6th generation), iPad (2019, 7th generation)
  • A10X – iPad Pro 10.5″ (2017), iPad Pro 12.9″ 2nd Gen (2017)
  • A11 – iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone with a newer MBP 13" know if you can plug in two of the usb c to usb a Apple dongles at the same time or are they two fat?

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Just came home with a new pair of Airpods Pros a bit ago. The ANC isn't quite as good as I had hoped, though I come from the Sony WH-1000XM3s so obviously I shouldn't have expected something of that caliber. But it seems like it should be good enough for gym and working in an open office, which would be my main use cases.

Otherwise they seem almost exactly like the original Airpods, so sound that's good enough (with a fair bit of added bass compared to the originals due to the sealed nature which I definitely appreciate) and a very slick user experience, which is the real reason to go for these. The wireless charging for the case is a nice plus since I got a wireless charger a while ago. I'll probably be happy with these for a couple of years.

They're pretty fucking expensive, though. Decided to buy a 3-year insurance for them just in case, which should cover pretty much everything aside from losing the whole thing.

e: also these things are water... proof-ish, right? Could I take a shower with them?

Last edited:

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Is the general volume of the Airpods Pros lower than regular Airpods or something? I feel like I have to turn them up a bit higher than the OGs.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Is the general volume of the Airpods Pros lower than regular Airpods or something? I feel like I have to turn them up a bit higher than the OGs.

I guess not. At the lowest settings it sounds like what I imagine it should, it just sort of feels like going from 20% to 40% doesn't change the volume as much as 10 to 20 or 40 to 60 does.

Anyway, I definitely take back the earlier comments about weak ANC. Took the bus to work earlier today and while you obviously get some ambient noise - they're just earbuds after all - the Airpods did an incredibly admirable job cancelling most of it. Could very comfortably keep the volume level at like 30, 40% at most even with quiet songs. I love the pinch stuff too, much much much better than the tapping gestures of the original Airpods.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Come again? Can you rephrase?

If you have a 13" MBP

and it has two usb c ports side by side

can you plug in two of these ie one in each port or is there not enough room cause the plug is too fat

MJ1M2