• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
On iPadOS, how do I open an app in Split View if it's not in the Dock?
One of the big confusing/annoying points to iPad multitasking. I forget but you might be able to drag an icon, then go into an app to do it. If that doesn't work (and is a pain in the ass anyway), open the app, then it'll be in the recent apps part of the dock.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
One of the big confusing/annoying points to iPad multitasking. I forget but you might be able to drag an icon, then go into an app to do it. If that doesn't work (and is a pain in the ass anyway), open the app, then it'll be in the recent apps part of the dock.

Yes, apparently this is the way. And it's dumb. I think I'd rather disable the recent apps in the dock, but then I can't freely multitask anymore?
The old app selector in the slide over view was super-ugly and the usability wasn't the best either, but at least you could select any app.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
This and Gmail not supporting multitasking is very frustrating

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I feel dumb but I can't figure out playlists on Apple Music.

On my old Android phone that I run with I have a playlist I made months ago in the Apple Music app. When I open Apple Music on my iPhone (that I use every day), I see the playlist section but that playlist that's on the Android phone does not show up. And on the Music app on my Mac, I don't see playlists ANYWHERE. Is there no way to create a playlist in the Music app on a Mac??

The only place I even see the word "playlist" on the Mac app is under the 'Song' menu in the title bar. There's "Add song to playlist" but it's always greyed out no matter what I do.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
ok I see you need to right click in the empty space on the left in the Music app to create a playlist. Still weird though that the Mac app isn't showing the playlist I created on my phone.

also I can't seem to actually add any songs to the playlist created on the Mac... It says I can drag the song over to the playlist or right click and choose "Add to Playlist" but both of those options don't work.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
ok I see you need to right click in the empty space on the left in the Music app to create a playlist. Still weird though that the Mac app isn't showing the playlist I created on my phone.

also I can't seem to actually add any songs to the playlist created on the Mac... It says I can drag the song over to the playlist or right click and choose "Add to Playlist" but both of those options don't work.
I'm not sure, all those options work fine for me. Maybe try signing in and out of your iCloud account in the systems settings level, just to get a refresh. If that doesn't work, Apple support will be more helpful than us.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
This and Gmail not supporting multitasking is very frustrating
So obnoxious.

On a similar note, today I found out the Facebook app finally supports it. Now if only they'd put in auto light/dark switching to Messenger. They already made a dark mode, then went to all that effort and made a big ruckus about using standard OS APIs and such, then left dark mode on a manual switch. And Instagram is still an iPhone only app for some inexplicable reason.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Monthly check-in

iOS 13 - is Mail fixed?
MacOS Catalina - idk specifically, but does it suck?

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Mail is still doing that weird thing where it downloads the mail when you open the app rather than when the mail notification is received, yeah.

No issues with Catalina, I've been running it since launch.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Still haven't updated to it but probably will soon to match my MBA when that comes in (on Wednesday apparently). Anything I have to watch out for other than 32-bit apps going away? Just the usual random compatibility issues with particular apps?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Still haven't updated to it but probably will soon to match my MBA when that comes in (on Wednesday apparently). Anything I have to watch out for other than 32-bit apps going away? Just the usual random compatibility issues with particular apps?
Yeah, and you've waited a while so most of your apps will have updates. Some apps, like ones that manipulate the menu bar, have reduced functionality or have to jump through additional security hoops. The main one I'm thinking of, Bartender, has been updated a few times and (I think) has restored all functionality by now.

samyy

Oct 25, 2017
So I ordered a 2020 iPad Pro but I just stumbled across the bending issue with the 2018 models - has anyone here experienced that issue? Just wondering if it was actually a widespread problem because having paid $1,200 for my device I really don't want to deal with issues like that.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Is it worth it to get the a 2109 MacBook Air at this point? Price is decent and includes AppleCare? I5 with 256?
Honestly, if I'm remembering correctly, the keyboards still have like a three year warranty or something. And they still preform fine. I wouldn't do it personally because the new (old) keyboards are a better typing experience.

What's the price?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the Dark Sky API used by a lot of weather apps? Or am I misremembering that? Pretty big blow to all those apps if that's the case

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Hello. My wife and I are tied together on iTunes through Family Settings.

She just got a new iPad today.

How do we setup for the free year of AppleTV+? And if we do-can we just set it up under my iTunes account-will it recognize that our family got a new device?

Edit: never mind to all of this - I just launched the TV app and it knew by default! I love that.

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know of a way to use an iPhone as a webcam for Zoom on the Mac? Note, I don't want to use Zoom on my iPhone; it has to be on the Mac because I need to be able to share my screen and everything. Secondly, EpocCam just... doesn't work for me. It's constantly spinning and never shows up despite my efforts.

kappapeachie

Aug 5, 2019
So I ordered a 2020 iPad Pro but I just stumbled across the bending issue with the 2018 models - has anyone here experienced that issue? Just wondering if it was actually a widespread problem because having paid $1,200 for my device I really don't want to deal with issues like that.

never in my life have i dealt with this issue with my 2018 model. maybe it because it's in a protective case so naturally this isn't issue. those who aren't as lucky, you have my condolences.

is the 2020 model any worse in terms of build as the previous model?

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
My friend is a Samsung user and he is wary about coming to an Apple device because he is worried google calendars and gmail won't work properly?

What is the answer to that? I've never used google. But he's on android with Samsung so I guess I'm asking in today's cell phone climate...

What should a Samsung/google user be wary of when becoming a Apple/Google? user?

I shamelessly went from Samsung to all Apple to just accept one ecosystem so I guess im not aware of the pitfalls but I remember a Rumor earlier about iOS 14 opening up more or something?

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
never in my life have i dealt with this issue with my 2018 model. maybe it because it's in a protective case so naturally this isn't issue. those who aren't as lucky, you have my condolences.

is the 2020 model any worse in terms of build as the previous model?
I think teardowns show it to basically be a 2018 with the new camera module. And I guess whatever is different about the chip, which is probably the same with enabled 8th GPU core or whatever.
My friend is a Samsung user and he is wary about coming to an Apple device because he is worried google calendars and gmail won't work properly?

What is the answer to that? I've never used google. But he's on android with Samsung so I guess I'm asking in today's cell phone climate...

What should a Samsung/google user be wary of when becoming a Apple/Google? user?

I shamelessly went from Samsung to all Apple to just accept one ecosystem so I guess im not aware of the pitfalls but I remember a Rumor earlier about iOS 14 opening up more or something?
With the default Apple apps there might be some funkiness. But there's the Gmail app that works well enough, presumably the Google Calendar app is fine too. Main thing is that they'd be a bit annoying to use sometimes cause they're not the default...which is where that one iOS 14 rumor comes in, where we'll supposedly be able to choose default apps.

I think the hardest part of switching isn't so much services like that, since most major stuff is available everywhere at this point, it's the little differences In how everything works. Not sure there's anything insurmountable to adjust to, but a lot of small differences can add up to be annoying.

AlphaCookie

Nov 6, 2017
Washington
So maybe you guys can help me out here, my sister's iPad Pro has developed pox in the glass. I don't know how to really describe it. It's like, melted and has some discoloration. But the screen is working fine.

w4faOE7.jpg

She says she just kind of noticed it at some point today. She draws on it daily. We're in a chat with apple support right now. There's no damage elsewhere on the device. How does this happen? She's freaking out about being out 1200 on the thing, or possibly paying apple $700 for a repair

Edit 10 seconds later,
The screen is actively discoloring and misregistering inputs while she's trying to chat with support.

Edit edit: based on further oogling, and her saying it was very warm when she took it off the charger, I'm assuming the battery melted stuff

Last edited:

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I've been using my trackball mouse with my iPad and liking it quite a bit.

But is there a way to reverse the scroll wheel direction? It's the opposite of how I like it and one of the few announces I have with it.

I hope more apps support mice too. I'm using it a lot with TeamViewer lately, and while it's 10x better than touch, it's still annoying that right clicking doesn't actually right click, and scrolling in TeamViewer doesn't really work either.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using my trackball mouse with my iPad and liking it quite a bit.

But is there a way to reverse the scroll wheel direction? It's the opposite of how I like it and one of the few announces I have with it.

I hope more apps support mice too. I'm using it a lot with TeamViewer lately, and while it's 10x better than touch, it's still annoying that right clicking doesn't actually right click, and scrolling in TeamViewer doesn't really work either.
Yep, first thing I did too. It's in accessibility settings for mouse.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
So my 2010 MacBook Pro 15" is nearing death. I'm thinking I might need a new laptop soonish.

I'm looking at the $1300 MacBook Air. I'm mainly using it for general web browsing, some YouTube, and Photoshop (and 1-2 other Adobe Suite apps). I want to start recording some music too so I'll likely be using a lot of GarageBand to get my feet wet with a DAW.

Would that MacBook Air suffice for that type of use? Or would a MacBook Pro be the better bet?

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
So my 2010 MacBook Pro 15" is nearing death. I'm thinking I might need a new laptop soonish.

I'm looking at the $1300 MacBook Air. I'm mainly using it for general web browsing, some YouTube, and Photoshop (and 1-2 other Adobe Suite apps). I want to start recording some music too so I'll likely be using a lot of GarageBand to get my feet wet with a DAW.

Would that MacBook Air suffice for that type of use? Or would a MacBook Pro be the better bet?

Funny thing I just finally retired my 2011 MacBook Pro and got the i5 Air this week. (I was supposed to get silver but they sent me gold, but there's no way I'm going to try and get it replaced given our current events).

It's probably fine for garage band, but I just haven't used Photoshop enough to know if it would struggle with anything. It probably depends on how elaborate your work will be.

I'm liking it fine so far. The keyboard feels fine and it's nice to have Touch ID on the keyboard. Time will tell whether I miss all my ports. The one weird issue I am having so far is some weird audio drop outs when using Netflix. I haven't checked to see if it is just a Netflix thing or happens on Amazon, Hulu etc.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else having issues with the activity element on the Siri watch face since the lastest watchOS update? I think it has only shown up on one day in the past week or so. Tried disabling and reenabling it but didn't help :( Seems like just some people encounter the issue, kinda frustrating. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251219239

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

The new i5 Air is a great choice. Just up the RAM to 16GB for future-proofing. macOS loves its some RAM. And it's soldered into the motherboard, so you can't upgrade that.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
So I downloaded Shinsekai on to my new Air and it runs pretty crappy. I've run it fine on my iPad Pro. Is the Iris Plus just that bad or are the iOS games just really poorly optimized for MacBook?

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
Timeline got escalated so ordered the 2019 as it will get there a lot sooner and also wanted to order from Costco as we get 4% back and they only had the 2019 model. Very excited as it's our first Mac since the first iteration of the flat screen!

Well, I managed to cancel the order on route as Costco now has the i3 2020 which will be sufficient for me(given the current climate and my job search I need to save where possible but we did for sure need a laptop since everything we do now is online). My question is what do I need to connect my phone to the air? I assume I will do it via wifi for the most part but should I want to connect physically to charge I assume I will have to buy an adapter?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
When did Apple change the App Store rules on buying from within the app? Just noticed the amazon prime video app now lets you buy/rent from inside the app. Wonder if that will help some of the streaming game apps like xcloud etc come to iOS

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
When did Apple change the App Store rules on buying from within the app? Just noticed the amazon prime video app now lets you buy/rent from inside the app. Wonder if that will help some of the streaming game apps like xcloud etc come to iOS
It was recent. They're letting it happen for the big boys to the consternation of smaller devs.

arstechnica.com

In a surprising change, Amazon now sells movies in its Prime Video iOS app

Previously, you could watch on iPhones but had to buy the videos elsewhere.

I'll make a thread.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I managed to cancel the order on route as Costco now has the i3 2020 which will be sufficient for me(given the current climate and my job search I need to save where possible but we did for sure need a laptop since everything we do now is online). My question is what do I need to connect my phone to the air? I assume I will do it via wifi for the most part but should I want to connect physically to charge I assume I will have to buy an adapter?

yeah. The Best Buy insignia usb-c to a adapter is a pretty cheap/good adapter if you need it right away.