• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
FWIW, detuned radios is correct, the window to buy Apple are was shortened to 60 days once accidental damage was added, making it not just a warranty extension
That's just AppleCare+ though, ya? Regular AppleCare is still a year from what I can see on Apple's site right now.

Edit - Google seems to be showing me an older page, it's just AppleCare+ now? I have the older AppleCare before + so that's the confusion.

Last edited:

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I run my 2015 rMB on a 1440p monitor via Displayport. It caps out at 120hz, you can select 144hz but it doesn't work.
And yes, you'll need a hub. There's only so much you can do since the USB-C port on the rMB is not Thunderbolt 3. My hub has DP, 100 mbit Ethernet, 2x USB 2 and USB-C power delivery.

The rMB is super sexy and I'm baffled by how thin it is every time I look at it - but the performance really isn't too hot. Not sure how the current/refreshed stack up though. I'll switch to the lord and saviour in spe MacMini 2018 later this year unless they just bump the specs and don't do anything else.

Great, sounds good.

I'm not too concerned about the performance, as long as the SSD is fast, I'll probably be happy. Mainly going to be using it for web browsing and general time-wasting and iOS/xcode programming, and if it starts chugging with the latter, I can always do the actual development part on a virtual machine on my desktop computer or something and only use the Macbook for building and deploying to my phone. The main reason I'm going for it instead of Air or Pro is the fact that it's so thin and sleek and light.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Henlo Apple Era, I hope it's okay to ask about iPhones in here. I am switching things up and moving from Android to iOS to see what the fuss is. I'm excited. Change!

That said, two weeks ago I witnessed someone drop a 5S from waist height and the screen was decimated. With my previous, fairly hardy phones, I've been able to get away with being clumsy with no casing or protective covers, but I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for screen protectors and cases for the 8? My concern is scratches and smashes, so I dunno if a good screen protector would help mitigate both or if I also need to get a heavy duty case (as opposed to the cute but probably not very supportive Persona one I got the other week).

Also, does regular warranty include AppleCare for the first year or do I need to buy it ASAP? Seems like fairly reasonable insurance versus smashing my phone to bits.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
Henlo Apple Era, I hope it's okay to ask about iPhones in here. I am switching things up and moving from Android to iOS to see what the fuss is. I'm excited. Change!

That said, two weeks ago I witnessed someone drop a 5S from waist height and the screen was decimated. With my previous, fairly hardy phones, I've been able to get away with being clumsy with no casing or protective covers, but I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for screen protectors and cases for the 8? My concern is scratches and smashes, so I dunno if a good screen protector would help mitigate both or if I also need to get a heavy duty case (as opposed to the cute but probably not very supportive Persona one I got the other week).

Also, does regular warranty include AppleCare for the first year or do I need to buy it ASAP? Seems like fairly reasonable insurance versus smashing my phone to bits.
Screen protector: just buy whatever to prevent micro-scratches.

Case: if you want something that is drop-resistant and doesn't look like half a ton of power armor, the Apple silicon case is a good choice. It comes with several colors too.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Screen protector: just buy whatever to prevent micro-scratches.

Case: if you want something that is drop-resistant and doesn't look like half a ton of power armor, the Apple silicon case is a good choice. It comes with several colors too.
Thanks! Sad to cover up the extremely gay pink gold colour I'm getting the phone in but a choice of colours sounds good.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017

I wouldn't really fret about it if you're getting ACP anyway. I find my 8+ to be extremely grippy thanks to the glass design (unless your hands are super wet like when leaving the pool or sth).
The regular warranty does not cover accidents, so - as usual for insurance of any kind - you'll have to take a gamble whether you smash your phone so often that ACP pays off or if you live either the risky naked life or bulky case life.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I wouldn't really fret about it if you're getting ACP anyway. I find my 8+ to be extremely grippy thanks to the glass design (unless your hands are super wet like when leaving the pool or sth).
The regular warranty does not cover accidents, so - as usual for insurance of any kind - you'll have to take a gamble whether you smash your phone so often that ACP pays off or if you live either the risky naked life or bulky case life.
I might go for ACP (I'm on a contract so it works out as a fairly reasonable monthly cost if I think of it that way), a silicone case and a screen protector. I'm not super clumsy but I have dropped my current phone a good few times, and e.g. it falls off the sofa or bed onto hard floors a lot and it's not an issue (it's an M8 and its screen and body are durable as fuck). I might be babying the iPhone for a while just because I'm so used to being able to be cavalier with my phone.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Which titles have you picked up?

I go between wanting all digital but sometimes only a disc would do (especially with the ample bitrate physical media can provide). I do own a good amount digitally and sometimes double dip and get them digitally as well.

Here recently I picked up all the M:I movies, Looper, Ghostbusters, Kingsman and the Peanuts movie.

I've even been limiting myself to $5-$7 but there's still almost at least something just about every day. I will still buy UHDs for some stuff, but for the most part I've moved away from just buying everything physical like I did with DVD/BR

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's just AppleCare+ though, ya? Regular AppleCare is still a year from what I can see on Apple's site right now.

Edit - Google seems to be showing me an older page, it's just AppleCare+ now? I have the older AppleCare before + so that's the confusion.

AC+ fully replaced regular AppleCare. If you bought AC before they made that change it's still valid with the original terms

Oct 25, 2017
Stopped by an Apple Store on the way home today. It's the older of the two in my area, but it's also the one in the more wealthy area of town. They had only one table with MacBook Pros, and the person who was trying to help me really didn't know a lot about eGPUs so I didn't get a lot of questions answered. I did get to hold and type on the 13inch, which I think looks so much nicer than the 15inch, and it's really a beautiful machine. I'm still debating if I should go that route with the external GPU like I mentioned on the last page, and if I should settle ultimately on the 13inch for its 4 cores or get the 15inch for its six cores. I have a few weeks to decide at least.

Here's the most striking thing of all: I saw someone buy a Mac Mini while I was there!

Oct 25, 2017
I actually have and use an eGPU setup with my MBP, so, ask me anything
Thanks!

To start, what's your setup like? Are you just using one monitor, and if so, is it 4K? What eGPU enclosure are you using and with what card? What kind of MBP do you have?

How's the fan noise from the MBP when using it with the eGPU? Does it get very loud or hot? What about under heavy loads? When I used to do this with my MBA in 2011, the fans would go crazy all the time even in minimal stress because it tried to vent through the keyboard, if I remember correctly.

How does window management work when docked and undocked? Do window positions get memorized depending on the docked status? In other words, if I have Safari be in a certain location when undocked, and a certain location when docked, does it automatically switch between the two or do you have to fiddle with the windows?

Do you use Bootcamp ever with it? I've heard it can be fiddly since it is not supported by Apple natively.

Any real issues/regrets you have about your setup?

Oct 25, 2017
Double posting but it's a separate question:

Best way to sell an iMac? Apple's GiveBack program says they'll give me 375 for it, and some website called igotoffer says it'll go for 510. I suppose I should search on eBay to see if my model is selling to get an idea for the price.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Are there any affordable third party lightnimng cables that offer anything close to the charging speeds of an official Apple one?

All my current cables are frayed and dangerous and I am keen for a solution that doesn't cost me a fortune?

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are there any affordable third party lightnimng cables that offer anything close to the charging speeds of an official Apple one?

All my current cables are frayed and dangerous and I am keen for a solution that doesn't cost me a fortune?

The only one that would offer any faster charging speed is the USB-C to Lightning cable. Regular USB cables are gonna be the same, at that point it's dependent on what wall adapter you use

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks!

To start, what's your setup like? Are you just using one monitor, and if so, is it 4K? What eGPU enclosure are you using and with what card? What kind of MBP do you have?

How's the fan noise from the MBP when using it with the eGPU? Does it get very loud or hot? What about under heavy loads? When I used to do this with my MBA in 2011, the fans would go crazy all the time even in minimal stress because it tried to vent through the keyboard, if I remember correctly.

How does window management work when docked and undocked? Do window positions get memorized depending on the docked status? In other words, if I have Safari be in a certain location when undocked, and a certain location when docked, does it automatically switch between the two or do you have to fiddle with the windows?

Do you use Bootcamp ever with it? I've heard it can be fiddly since it is not supported by Apple natively.

Any real issues/regrets you have about your setup?

My setup is a 2016 15" MBP with a Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 350 and a Radeon RX 580. My monitor is a 4K Dell UltraSharp U2718Q connected to the eGPU over DisplayPort. Fan noise from the MBP is minimal in typical use, though it and the eGPU can get pretty noisy when gaming, FCPX rendering, etc. The new MBPs primarily vent through the bottom of the display henge, so it should be able to ventilate well enough even in clamshell mode.

Re: Boot Camp, I do use it in Boot Camp. With my model, I had to disable the left-side TB3 ports in Boot Camp to free up enough resources for Windows to play nice with my eGPU and avoid an error 12 message, so I have my eGPU and my monitor's USB hub (with a mouse, keyboard, and external hard drive for games) connected to the right-hand ports. However, I've heard this is not necessary in the 2017 MBPs due to firmware changes. Not sure about the 2018, but I'd be surprised if it regressed on this. It should also be easier to get an eGPU going with the 13" model in Boot Camp than the 15", as you don't have the dGPU there which is the source of error 12 issues, driver conflicts, etc. (In macOS, the eGPU is pretty much plug and play.)

For regrets, my only real regret is paying $700 for the eGPU + enclosure in February when you can get the same bundle for $500 now, haha. GPU prices were still high then, and $700 for an RX 580 + eGPU enclosure was a great deal when the GPUs alone were going for 600. Now that GPU prices are back down to Earth, though, I can't help but think I could've gotten a Vega for the same price now...

As far as windowing goes, I'd need to play around with it and get back to you.

Oct 25, 2017
My setup is a 2016 15" MBP with a Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 350 and a Radeon RX 580. My monitor is a 4K Dell UltraSharp U2718Q connected to the eGPU over DisplayPort. Fan noise from the MBP is minimal in typical use, though it and the eGPU can get pretty noisy when gaming, FCPX rendering, etc. The new MBPs primarily vent through the bottom of the display henge, so it should be able to ventilate well enough even in clamshell mode.

Re: Boot Camp, I do use it in Boot Camp. With my model, I had to disable the left-side TB3 ports in Boot Camp to free up enough resources for Windows to play nice with my eGPU and avoid an error 12 message, so I have my eGPU and my monitor's USB hub (with a mouse, keyboard, and external hard drive for games) connected to the right-hand ports. However, I've heard this is not necessary in the 2017 MBPs due to firmware changes. Not sure about the 2018, but I'd be surprised if it regressed on this. It should also be easier to get an eGPU going with the 13" model in Boot Camp than the 15", as you don't have the dGPU there which is the source of error 12 issues, driver conflicts, etc. (In macOS, the eGPU is pretty much plug and play.)

For regrets, my only real regret is paying $700 for the eGPU + enclosure in February when you can get the same bundle for $500 now, haha. GPU prices were still high then, and $700 for an RX 580 + eGPU enclosure was a great deal when the GPUs alone were going for 600. Now that GPU prices are back down to Earth, though, I can't help but think I could've gotten a Vega for the same price now...

As far as windowing goes, I'd need to play around with it and get back to you.
Thanks so much!

How does the setup work? You're on your notebook and then you just plug it in and everything transfers over, and then all you have to do is click the menubar icon to switch to running the eGPU? Also, with your specs and setup, how is gaming performance?

The more I think about what I might do, I think I might get the 13-inch, just upgrade the RAM, and install Boot Camp to an external SSD since I'll only ever use it when docked anyway. I guess I'm leaning towards the Razor Core X since it seems to have gotten good reviews, looks relatively plain, and has a bunch of expandability with it. Video card, I don't know. Part of me is thinking about the Vega 64 just so I never have to upgrade it for anything ever, most likely. But, that and the box is going to set me back a grand. At least if I go this way I give myself an out so I can change the card if I ever need to unlike the Blackmagic one the Apple Store was telling me about today.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks so much!

How does the setup work? You're on your notebook and then you just plug it in and everything transfers over, and then all you have to do is click the menubar icon to switch to running the eGPU? Also, with your specs and setup, how is gaming performance?

The more I think about what I might do, I think I might get the 13-inch, just upgrade the RAM, and install Boot Camp to an external SSD since I'll only ever use it when docked anyway. I guess I'm leaning towards the Razor Core X since it seems to have gotten good reviews, looks relatively plain, and has a bunch of expandability with it. Video card, I don't know. Part of me is thinking about the Vega 64 just so I never have to upgrade it for anything ever, most likely. But, that and the box is going to set me back a grand. At least if I go this way I give myself an out so I can change the card if I ever need to unlike the Blackmagic one the Apple Store was telling me about today.

Yeah I think really the fact that the Blackmagic doesn't use a Vega is the biggest argument against it. It's not really that expensive for the specs and connectivity plus silent running, but no upgrades and being locked to an old card makes the price bite a lot more.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Need some tip here. I was having some problems of "error, page reloading, etc" on Safari, ios 11.4. Did some google search, and saw one that recommand to turn Javascript on or off, well dont remember. I turn it ON, well, nothing change, So i decide to turn it OFF like it was, and now because its OFF, im having difficulty displaying some website, some even tell me to turn java ON in order to be displayed properly.

It was OFF and everything was working fine, why suddently, i absolutly need to have it ON? Is there a way to revert that? Im just worried having it on will drain more battery.

Deleted member 2474

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks so much!

I basically just plug in the TB3 cable from the enclosure, and then the eGPU and external monitor act just like any other external monitor. You can drag windows between the internal and external displays, set one as primary, one as secondary, etc. I usually close the internal display and use it in clamshell mode. You only need the icon in the menu bar to eject the eGPU, which basically shuts down any programs running on the eGPU and restarts them on the internal graphics so they don't crash when you unplug your GPU.

Gaming performance is very solid - if you just want 1080p/60, even the RX 580 is plenty. It's roughly comparable to a GTX 1060, and can handle pretty much anything you throw at it at highish settings at 1080p. Even 4K (or at least 1440p+) is attainable in many games, especially if you're willing to drop to medium-ish settings. I'd put it somewhere between PS4 Pro and Xbox One X in power. If you're getting a Vega 64, though, you're looking at more like GTX 1080 performance. Probably overkill for 1080p/60, but definitely worth it if you want to do 1440p, 4K, or 144Hz.

I would only recommend the Blackmagic eGPU if you want to drive an LG UltraFine 5K display. That's pretty much the only advantage it has over any other eGPU enclosure. It's slower than a stock RX 580, only has TB3 and HDMI out ports, and is completely non-upgradable. Not worth it unless you really want an eGPU to drive an UltraFine 5K, which you probably don't.

The Razer Core X is a very solid eGPU enclosure choice - the power supply should be capable of powering a Vega 64 out of the box, and it's plenty upgradable. The Aorus Gaming Boxes are popular eGPU choices, but they're difficult to upgrade and use very small cards. I've got a Sonnet and am fairly happy with it, though I'd need to upgrade the 350W PSU in mine to get a Vega 64 (they sell one with a 650W PSU now, but they didn't at the time I got mine). eGPU.io is a great resource if you want to look into enclosures. They have a buyer's guide that compares pretty much all the major ones on the market:

https://egpu.io/external-gpu-buyers-guide-2018/

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Starting to get a little excited for this year's iPhones.

Pretty sure I'll be getting the X2 Plus, but it depends on exactly how expensive it'll be and also how long the battery life.

The S9+ I got had OK battery (I could always go a whole day with regular usage, but I like to have some wiggle room if I want to play a game for a while or use navigation more than usual), so I'm hoping the X2 and the X2 Plus will at minimum be a little better than that (I think the X was a little worse than the S9+, but I'm hoping the X2 will be better).

I have a lot more games on iOS than on Android, so I'll probably need the extra battery.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly what's pushing me to upgrade more this year is that family members will get my 6 from a 4S, and the vastly better experience (and continued support) that will come with.

I'm kind of bummed the rumors suggest all the new phones will be larger. I kind of hoped they'd pull the iPhone X-style upgrade on an SE body and give me a 4.3-5ish size screen in a more compact profile. Also, they probably aren't bringing the dual lens cameras to the non-Plus, non-X phones, and that's the biggest real upgrade in the entire line. I guess we'll see.

Oct 25, 2017
detuned radios et all,
Now I'm just lost in a sea of mess that is USB-C and Thunderbolt hubs. Like, I found a slim/compact hub that snaps into the side of a MBP, and it only costs like 50 bucks, but it doesn't add a whole lot, and I don't know if I can connect a USB-A hub to the USB-A port on the hub.USB-C and Thunderbolt seems expensive and inadequate.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
USB-C is a confusing mess that is never gonna get fixed because the USB consortium has no power and released everything before it was done.

I know that doesn't help, but I've been searching info on USB-C for years now, and it's never gotten easier. Actually with the different kind of Thunderbolt 3 cables (passive vs active) and the new USB alternate modes, one could make a compelling argument that it's worse now than in 2015

Deleted member 2474

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
detuned radios et all,
Now I'm just lost in a sea of mess that is USB-C and Thunderbolt hubs. Like, I found a slim/compact hub that snaps into the side of a MBP, and it only costs like 50 bucks, but it doesn't add a whole lot, and I don't know if I can connect a USB-A hub to the USB-A port on the hub.USB-C and Thunderbolt seems expensive and inadequate.

What ports (and number of ports) do you want/need out of a dock?

Oct 25, 2017
What ports (and number of ports) do you want/need out of a dock?
I have 4 USB-A ports on my iMac right now that I'd want on a MacBook Pro, plus an extra 5th port for USB-A flash drives, ideally. Then I have an ethernet connection (I suppose I could just go wireless), the display ports (which would be handled by the eGPU), and a dedicated SSD port, via USB-C, when docked for a Boot Camp partition. Oh, and then there's the occasional moments where I'll need an SD slot. So, that's 5 USB-A, a USB-C, (ignore the display/hdmi stuff), ethernet, and I think that's it?

The one I was looking at online is (excuse my terrible terminology), a TB passthrough for power, a USB-C, a SD/Micro slot, and two USB-A slots (all sharing the same BUS so it slows, I guess). But, the USB-A ports are 2.0, not 3.0, so that's a major drawback. I could go bigger, but then I'm spending like 300+ bucks.

USB-C is a confusing mess that is never gonna get fixed because the USB consortium has no power and released everything before it was done.

I know that doesn't help, but I've been searching info on USB-C for years now, and it's never gotten easier. Actually with the different kind of Thunderbolt 3 cables (passive vs active) and the new USB alternate modes, one could make a compelling argument that it's worse now than in 2015

It's one of those things that never concerned me, so I just went "yeah yeah yeah" in my head when it was brought up, but it's expensive and confusing. Like, even if I wanted to throw 300 bucks at this problem, I still don't know what to get and why. It just seems like mess that Apple would normally fix by releasing their own product, but nope!

I guess I'm looking at the eGPU enclosure as one port, a USB-A hub as another (can I just use a USB-B to USB-C cable to use my old hub?), and a Boot Camp SSD as another. That leaves a spare, maybe!

Last edited:

Deleted member 2474

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have 4 USB-A ports on my iMac right now that I'd want on a MacBook Pro, plus an extra 5th port for USB-A flash drives, ideally. Then I have an ethernet connection (I suppose I could just go wireless), the display ports (which would be handled by the eGPU), and a dedicated SSD port, via USB-C, when docked for a Boot Camp partition. Oh, and then there's the occasional moments where I'll need an SD slot. So, that's 5 USB-A, a USB-C, (ignore the display/hdmi stuff), ethernet, and I think that's it?

So, two things to remember - one, the MBP has four USB-C ports, and two, an eGPU enclosure will also charge your MBP, so you get an eGPU + external monitors + power all in just one of those four ports. For everything else you need, just this should cover you:

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Including-Charging-Ultrabook-Chromebook/dp/B00OTK16FK/

Get one of those, and either use the included cable with a USB-A -> USB-C adapter or pick up one of these and boom, you now have 7 USB-A ports off of one USB-C port. A USB SD card reader will cover you when you need it. If your WiFi connection is strong enough to forego Ethernet, I'd say just do that.

Thickstone

Oct 27, 2017
Really contemplating upgrading to the new iPad Pro

On the other hand, my current one isn't even a year old and I actually prefer TouchID. But more screen estate is always a good thing. Meh.

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Really contemplating upgrading to the new iPad Pro

On the other hand, my current one isn't even a year old and I actually prefer TouchID. But more screen estate is always a good thing. Meh.

Had an iPhone X since launch and am now so used to faceID that being prompted for a touchID press is jarring. Not upgrading this year as I got a 2nd gen 12.9 at Christmas (unless I find myself in the Us/Japan where they are much cheaper than UK)

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I think I'd rather have a bit of a bezel on my iPad. The way I use it, it's usually resting on a pillow or something else that'd slightly cover the screen if it was bezelless, so I'll just stick with my current year-old iPad Pro for the foreseeable future.

FaceID would be nice, though.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
The bezels won't be (much) slimmer than the notch on the iPhone X so I see no problem at all tbh.

Oct 27, 2017
Face ID is absolutely brilliant.

I don't miss the home button at all. Once you get the gestures down, the iPhone X is snappy as fuck to navigate around.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
When the new iPhones announced, are they on display before you can order them? I'm debating about moving from the X to the X Plus (if that rumor is real) but would love to hold it in my hand before ordering (am on the upgrade program through Apple).

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When the new iPhones announced, are they on display before you can order them? I'm debating about moving from the X to the X Plus (if that rumor is real) but would love to hold it in my hand before ordering (am on the upgrade program through Apple).

No, they only go on display once they're out on release day. Otherwise you'd better believe stores would be getting pillaged

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
So am using a

Air 2013 11" Haswell
1.7 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB

Connected to a Dell U2713hm 27" monitor at 1440p using display port cable.

It is also connected to a USB keyboard and a magic trackpad...

Is it OK to leave the MBA plugged in and on or asleep in clamshell mode all the time?

Or is it better to turn it off completely when I am not using it?

Thanks!

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone running bots on iMessage by chance? I currently have a few on my raspi that post to telegram ( scrape websites and alert me etc ) but I'd like to move over to iMessage for a few reasons (telegram has been very unreliable in the past few weeks, family is all in on apple anyway, ... Memoji lol).
iMessage bots don't seem to really be a thing but they sorta are from a quick google search? I'll need to take a closer look tomorrow.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So am using a

Air 2013 11" Haswell
1.7 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB

Connected to a Dell U2713hm 27" monitor at 1440p using display port cable.

It is also connected to a USB keyboard and a magic trackpad...

Is it OK to leave the MBA plugged in and on or asleep in clamshell mode all the time?

Or is it better to turn it off completely when I am not using it?

Thanks!

Every once in a while you'll want to unplug it and drain the battery. If you leave it plugged in all the time it'll run of the wall and never use the battery, which can cause it to go bad. So then when you need it, it won't be there

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
If you do a clean install does it defeat the purpose to then go ahead and reinstall your home directory from a Time Machine back up?

What about reinstalling your apps from Time Machine?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
is it expected that there will be airpod 2, or just a refresh with the wireless charging case included (remember that?)

I'm seeing enough around me in London these days that they're starting to look a little less dumb, and my beatsX sometimes get caught on collars etc and get tugged out. But I'd really mainly like a pair in black..

edit: also why is 'other' taking up tons of space still a thing? My daughter has a 16GB SE and it was totally full - but 8.5GB was 'other'. Tried everything to free it up including that weird 'try and sync a couple of big movies to force a cache clear'. But in the end I had to backup to itunes and do a full restore. Ridiculous.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
is it expected that there will be airpod 2, or just a refresh with the wireless charging case included (remember that?)

I'm seeing enough around me in London these days that they're starting to look a little less dumb, and my beatsX sometimes get caught on collars etc and get tugged out. But I'd really mainly like a pair in black..

edit: also why is 'other' taking up tons of space still a thing? My daughter has a 16GB SE and it was totally full - but 8.5GB was 'other'. Tried everything to free it up including that weird 'try and sync a couple of big movies to force a cache clear'. But in the end I had to backup to itunes and do a full restore. Ridiculous.
Rumor has it this year will have a minor update with Hey Siri capability and a new, more expensive version will arrive in 2019.
So at this point, just wait for the September event.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Btw, if we do get an rMB refresh this year, when can we expect them to go on sale?

Starting to get that victim-of-capitalism-but-don't-give-a-fuck-want-a-new-computer itch.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
I recently hooked up my iPod Hi-Fi to my iMac via Aux cable. It still sounds really good IMHO after many years sitting in the closet.

Hey Apply how about a HomePod with a Aux input? Give me that Aux input and you can have my money.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I recently hooked up my iPod Hi-Fi to my iMac via Aux cable. It still sounds really good IMHO after many years sitting in the closet.

Hey Apply how about a HomePod with a Aux input? Give me that Aux input and you can have my money.

Ain't gonna happen when their flagship product doesn't have an aux output anymore

timeforsana

Oct 26, 2017
Anybody what I can expect to get selling a 2016 15" Touch Bar MBP (2.6GHz i7, 256gb, 16gb)? It's in immaculate condition and I still have the box.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yesterday I was awaken by a thunder right on my backyard. Today I'm still finding out what damage it did, besides the tree it hit. Apple-wise, my Apple TV 4 seems fried, and my Magsafe 2 charger, which fortunately wasn't even connected to the MBP, was however plugged in, and it doesn't seem to be charging or light up its LED - seems dead too. Sucks :/

Now I need to keep my iPad plugged in for Homekit purposes until I figure something out. And will also seek a Magsafe 1 to 2 adapter to use my older chargers.