• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Yesterday I was awaken by a thunder right on my backyard. Today I'm still finding out what damage it did, besides the tree it hit. Apple-wise, my Apple TV 4 seems fried, and my Magsafe 2 charger, which fortunately wasn't even connected to the MBP, was however plugged in, and it doesn't seem to be charging or light up its LED - seems dead too. Sucks :/

Now I need to keep my iPad plugged in for Homekit purposes until I figure something out. And will also seek a Magsafe 1 to 2 adapter to use my older chargers.

were they plugged into surge protectors?

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
were they plugged into surge protectors?
Nah, just regular power strips. The odds this happens again seem fairly low but I'll look into surge protectors from now on, for peace of mind after finally seeing what damage a thunderstorm can make. But luckily the bigger stuff escaped unscathed, including the TV, Nintendo Switch (that would be a hard one, to lose the saves just one month before cloud saves :D), and even the iPhone and Apple Watch which were charging when it happened.

CrankyKong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Need help with something.

I bought my mother an iPad, apple charged my bank account, the iPad arrived about 3 days ago.
Now they have put the money back in my account and its just sitting there.

What do I do? Just keep waiting?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
My wife's Ipad mini 4 keeps resetting - I think it's just the springboard, you get a spinner and then about 10 seconds later it's back at the dock so doesn't seem like a full reboot. Most often happens when she is in chrome (but that can be because chrome is almost all she uses on it). Any thoughts before I give up and try a backup/restore out of desperation?

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Need help with something.

I bought my mother an iPad, apple charged my bank account, the iPad arrived about 3 days ago.
Now they have put the money back in my account and its just sitting there.

What do I do? Just keep waiting?

They're definitely gonna take their money eventually.

My wife's Ipad mini 4 keeps resetting - I think it's just the springboard, you get a spinner and then about 10 seconds later it's back at the dock so doesn't seem like a full reboot. Most often happens when she is in chrome (but that can be because chrome is almost all she uses on it). Any thoughts before I give up and try a backup/restore out of desperation?

Yeah that's just a respring. No luck doing a normal shutdown or hard reboot?

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
att selling the iphone se for $100. i think i might just finally upgrade my 5s with no small phone upgrades in sight and the battery kaput at 50% capacity :|

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Not yet. You might want to wait for pricing on the 6.1" LCD model in any case.
tbh the most exciting thing about the iPhone refresh this year. How will the general audience possibly fathom the smaller 5.8 will be more expensive than the 6.1? Even if it will only have one camera (likely) and no 3D touch (unlikely imo; not that it is a 'status' feature anyway).

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that they made clearing all notifications and using the keyboard cursor no longer require 3D Touch in iOS 12 are pretty clear signs they plan to ship a new 3D Touch-less phone soon imo

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I use 3D Touch a lot, but the feature was never discoverable, could never really be "unique" as non-3D touch screens are still very much supported (older iPhones, all iPads), and felt like it never really was able to take off. I wouldn't mind if they dropped it not just for cheap phones, but for all. They let us enter trackpad mode without it now, and I can't say I find myself using peek and pop or app icon shortcuts a lot. Wouldn't mind a non-3D touch analogue for those, but wouldn't lose sleep if they went away.

The number of people upgrading from a 6 who have no idea that their new phone is even pressure sensitive is astounding, like far far above 50%. It leads to a lot of frustration and thinking the phone is doing something wrong when it's not.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I use 3D Touch a lot, but the feature was never discoverable, could never really be "unique" as non-3D touch screens are still very much supported (older iPhones, all iPads), and felt like it never really was able to take off. I wouldn't mind if they dropped it not just for cheap phones, but for all. They let us enter trackpad mode without it now, and I can't say I find myself using peek and pop or app icon shortcuts a lot. Wouldn't mind a non-3D touch analogue for those, but wouldn't lose sleep if they went away.

The number of people upgrading from a 6 who have no idea that their new phone is even pressure sensitive is astounding, like far far above 50%. It leads to a lot of frustration and thinking the phone is doing something wrong when it's not.
From the day they announced it I thought it was a bad idea.
Just going by my parents: I spent ages explaining to them to not push or press, just tap and then Apple comes out and some features require preassure...

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
See also: force touch trackpads.

The only device they sell that I think truly benefits from all this is the Watch, since it essentially acts as another button, on-screen or physical.

Deleted member 1062

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what gets me about 3D touch is that 90% of the cool interactions you do with it are just replicated on iPad with long presses, so what was even the point?

Oct 25, 2017
what gets me about 3D touch is that 90% of the cool interactions you do with it are just replicated on iPad with long presses, so what was even the point?

It's slightly faster, but yeah. Functionality is mostly duplicated with long presses, and I don't think most people understand the difference for them to make them do different things.

Oct 25, 2017
From the day they announced it I thought it was a bad idea.
Just going by my parents: I spent ages explaining to them to not push or press, just tap and then Apple comes out and some features require preassure...
Big a'yup. Confused the heck out of my family, especially since it never came to the iPad.

Speaking of bad changes, the new way of opening tabs in background on iOS stinks for me. The two finger tap never works for me, and the long press to get the menu to pop up takes forever. It's really hurt my productivity when browsing Safari on the iPad.

Oct 25, 2017
New eGPU stuff in latest build of Mojave: https://www.macworld.com/article/3294696/macs/macos-mojave-egpu-macbook-pros-display.html

As of the latest public beta patch for macOS Mojave, eGPU support for the Mac is truly worth getting excited about. Back when I first covered Mac eGPU support, I noted that it came with one significant drawback: You could only see its benefits through an external monitor. Fortunately, that's no longer the case. Apple now lets you accelerate graphics directly on the display of a MacBook Pro or iMac, and even more impressively, it lets you easily choose which apps will benefit from that acceleration.

Caveat:
Remember how you once could only use eGPUs on a Mac through an external monitor? As it turns out, that's still the best way to go.

In my case, I hooked up the eGPU to a fairly humble 24-inch Acer PS44W display (and shut the lid of the Mac itself for better performance), expecting minor improvements at best. Instead, I audibly gasped.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
i love 3d touch cursor moving on my phone :(

it's never as smooth or easy on my non 3d touch ipad

Deleted member 2474

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Games will always take a noticeable performance hit like this because the image has to be pumped back up the TB3 port then run through the MBP's own GPU for final output to the internal display, so it's having to make a roundtrip and is taking up TB3 bandwidth at the same time. The performance drop for raw compute stuff that can largely run entirely on the GPU will be notably smaller (such as FCPX renders, neural network training, etc - stuff that doesn't require the eGPU to actually output to the internal display).

Still, an external display will always be best with an eGPU. No way around it. Direct feed from the GPU to the display.

Oct 25, 2017
I swear though, the more I look into things the more I get confused. I started browsing the egpu.io forum as well as the subreddit on egpus and now I'm reading about people talking about port bottlenecks and whatnot and I'm reminded why I moved towards macs in the first place. And now I'm reading a bunch of people saying the Razor Core X is too loud and ahh!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that they made clearing all notifications and using the keyboard cursor no longer require 3D Touch in iOS 12 are pretty clear signs they plan to ship a new 3D Touch-less phone soon imo

how does it do the trackpad thing? No space for two fingers. (only have ios 12 on my ipad, not updating my iphone just yet)

Deleted member 2474

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I swear though, the more I look into things the more I get confused. I started browsing the egpu.io forum as well as the subreddit on egpus and now I'm reading about people talking about port bottlenecks and whatnot and I'm reminded why I moved towards macs in the first place. And now I'm reading a bunch of people saying the Razor Core X is too loud and ahh!

Port bottlenecks aren't an issue on the current MBP lineup. Every TB3 port on every current MBP is full speed.

how does it do the trackpad thing? No space for two fingers. (only have ios 12 on my ipad, not updating my iphone just yet)

Long-press space bar to initiate it.

Oct 25, 2017
Port bottlenecks aren't an issue on the current MBP lineup. Every TB3 port on every current MBP is full speed.
Yeah, but I'm seeing people complain about the CPUs, but they're not specific so I don't know if theyr'e talking about the old dual cores or the new quad cores. It's a mess.

Edit: It seems to be mostly people who are fiddling around at the margins. "what does this cpu give me that this doesn't?" or "will I see a 5% drop in FPS if I go with this setup than the other?"

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I can't see tabs on my iphone or laptop when using safari on my ipad running ios 12. Do I need to be on the same iOS version or are remote tabs not working yet?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I can't see tabs on my iphone or laptop when using safari on my ipad running ios 12. Do I need to be on the same iOS version or are remote tabs not working yet?
It sometimes takes a while to populate after an update. Worked fine for me when my iPad was on 12 and iPhone on 11

hyuckwut

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I finally pulled the trigger on a pair of AirPods for my X. I know there's a gen 2 likely to come soon but I have been wanting some forever. Going to pick them up soon, hopefully they're worth it!

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Buying a 17" Macbook Pro is probably a bad idea, right? My boss really wants a 17" Macbook Pro because he "can't see too well" and is adamant on it despite me telling him that they haven't been produced in almost a decade.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Buying a 17" Macbook Pro is probably a bad idea, right? My boss really wants a 17" Macbook Pro because he "can't see too well" and is adamant on it despite me telling him that they haven't been produced in almost a decade.

Tell him to buy an external monitor. No don't buy an ancient 17. The 15 is pretty big and you can make the text bigger.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
I have one of the new 2018 pros. When it is connected to power and fully charged it chimes at irregular intervals.

It is the same sound that appears when plugging it in.
Is this normal?

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
Doesnt sound normal. Is it the getting an email chime? You may have a chime setup.

No it is the "Charger plugged in" chime.

It only happens when it is fully charged, and mainly when I've got the lid closed. It also happened when opening the lid one time.
There seems to be no irregularities with regard to charging.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
No it is the "Charger plugged in" chime.

It only happens when it is fully charged, and mainly when I've got the lid closed. It also happened when opening the lid one time.
There seems to be no irregularities with regard to charging.

It sounds like you might have a flakey connection with your power cord.

It does not sound normal at all.

If I were you I would make a video of it on my phone and take it to a Genius Bar or call Apple support.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Picked up one of the new MBPs. 13 inch. I don't need that much power. My 2012 MBP served me well, but it was time to upgrade. Still not a huge fan of these models. But Apple has me locked down lol.

I do love the lightness and much slimmer design.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
It sounds like you might have a flakey connection with your power cord.

It does not sound normal at all.

If I were you I would make a video of it on my phone and take it to a Genius Bar or call Apple support.

Hmm.. there are no Genius Bars where I am, but I might contact support by email or something.
The weird thing is that I cannot provoke the sound by messing with the cable.

Anyway, thanks.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
When I turn my beatsX on and start to play something from my phone, it'll sometimes be silent until I press a volume key on phone or beatsX and then it restores to the original level. Strange

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Hopefully, we'll see an Apple Watch redesign in the september event.

I've been thinking if they will remove the digital crown and just make each side active to touch for a simpler design.

As many others, I was sorta down on the first watch. It seemed unfocused. But Apple has been smart in focusing on its more successful points, like fitness and quick commands.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
IOS 12 lets you hold down on the space bar to invoke it.

Hopefully Swiftkey adds this too.

Shame the cursor scrubbing is kinda shit on Swiftkey, though. Way jankier and imprecise than Apple's. Can't go back to the default keyboard either cause its Finnish autocorrect feature is absolute garbage (i.e. pretty much nonexistent).

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
So is there a known bug with TimeMachine in MacOS High Sierra?

My TimeMachine seems to be working but it backs up infrequently. To be precise it tries to back up on the usual schedule but it cancels many back up attempts. It is backing up now, but before that it hadn't backed up in two days.

I don't think I have a failing HDD because it tried several different HDD's and experienced the same problem, also all the HDD that I tried had passed Disk Utiiltes tests.

wilflare

Oct 25, 2017
can we talk about Macbooks here too?
(any thoughts on whether the Keyboard/Trackpad is still good for Office Productivity? - is it a matter of getting used to?
or would we an external keyboard/mouse be better for productivity in a fixed space)

and what's a good USB-C hub/adapter (was looking at the Satechi ones)

:3

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
can we talk about Macbooks here too?
(any thoughts on whether the Keyboard/Trackpad is still good for Office Productivity? - is it a matter of getting used to?
or would we an external keyboard/mouse be better for productivity in a fixed space)

:3

Since getting my 13" MBP I've been finding myself using the trackpad most of the day and ignoring the mouse. That may be the feel - the slightly smoother slidey feeling vs the glossy but slightly stickier surface on the magic mouse when scrolling.

so I think I'd adapt to an external magic trackpad well.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully Swiftkey adds this too.

Shame the cursor scrubbing is kinda shit on Swiftkey, though. Way jankier and imprecise than Apple's. Can't go back to the default keyboard either cause its Finnish autocorrect feature is absolute garbage (i.e. pretty much nonexistent).

Google's keyboard (Gboard) has had this feature forever. In fact, I prefer it due to the shorter (non-existent) delay before activation and the 1 dimensional limitation (only left/right cursor movement).

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
where are you seeing that? just directly from AT&T?

https://www.att.com/prepaid/iphone-...MI0fetrI683AIVw7XACh2OhQEOEAAYASAAEgJTFPD_BwE

Basically the phone is 49.99 but you have to purchase a new line. You can do that for $30 if you select autopay and just turn it off afterwards. If I don't like the offerings that Apple announces next month I'll probably just do this and swap out the SIM. Offer looks like its good through the end of September.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
https://www.att.com/prepaid/iphone-savings-offer.html?WT.srch=1&source=ECPS0000000PSM00P&kid=aud-298922522579:kwd-155202622142&cid=447697022&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0fetrI683AIVw7XACh2OhQEOEAAYASAAEgJTFPD_BwE

Basically the phone is 49.99 but you have to purchase a new line. You can do that for $30 if you select autopay and just turn it off afterwards. If I don't like the offerings that Apple announces next month I'll probably just do this and swap out the SIM. Offer looks like its good through the end of September.
Can it be unlocked?