• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Fox1304

Oct 26, 2017
Hope it'll be available for my Yamaha 2070 receiver, it would be awesome to sync it with my B&O A9.

Oct 26, 2017
Are iCloud accounts and Apple IDs permanently linked?

My wife and I have been sharing my Apple ID across both our devices but I want her to have her own iCloud and I can't find a way to sign my iCloud off her phone.

I am Upgrading her phone and while I want us to share same music and apps, I'd like for her to be able to backup her photos, email and documents under her own icloud

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

My wife and I have been sharing my Apple ID across both our devices but I want her to have her own iCloud and I can't find a way to sign my iCloud off her phone.

I am Upgrading her phone and while I want us to share same music and apps, I'd like for her to be able to backup her photos, email and documents under her own icloud

They are, but what you want to do is set up a Family. You can put multiple iCloud accounts/Apple IDs in a family to share purchases while keeping separate iCloud Drives, contacts, photo libraries, etc.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas

Yes. Have her set up her own Apple account and then just group the two accounts into a family setup so music and apps can be shared.

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you both very kindly.

So,

Create new Apple ID/iCloud
Go to her phone. Sign Out my ID
Sign in her new IDs
Back up her phone on the new IDs
Buy new phone
Use new IDs to restore?
Then add her IDs to family sharing on my phone?

Last edited:

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thank you both very kindly.

So,

Create new Apple ID/iCloud
Go to her phone. Sign Out my ID
Sign in her new IDs
Back up her phone on the new IDs
Buy new phone
Use new IDs to restore?
Then add her IDs to family sharing on my phone?

Go to her phone, sign out. When asked, choose "Keep on this phone."
Create new Apple ID
Sign in to new Apple ID
Use your Apple ID to invite her account into the family

From then on, new phone or otherwise, she'll only use her own account.

Oct 25, 2017
So I ordered my MacBook Pro (yay, a long ten day wait!) and am looking and docks/dongles. Someone recommended to me a Hyper Dock, and while neat, doesn't seem to have the ports I need. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good dock/dongle that has both HDMI and Ethernet? Hyper Dock looks great but is missing Ethernet.

Also, I used to use a ziplock bag to protect an iPad in the rain, but the sizing doesn't fit a MBP 13. Any suggestions on an emergency?

Last edited:

wilflare

Oct 25, 2017
So I ordered my MacBook Pro (yay, a long ten day wait!) and am looking and docks/dongles. Someone recommended to me a Hyper Dock, and while neat, doesn't seem to have the ports I need. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good dock/dongle that has both HDMI and Ethernet? Hyper Dock looks great but is missing Ethernet.

Also, I used to use a ziplock bag to protect an iPad in the rain, but the sizing doesn't fit a MBP 13. Any suggestions on an emergency?

have the same question but looking for a dongle/dock to go with a Macbook (non-pro)

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Hey, sorry if this ends up going nowhere, but I've just run into a problem with my iPad Pro - and Google Docs, I suppose - that I hadn't really anticipated.

Basically, my old MacBook Pro from 2010 is finally getting to the point where using it as my primary note-taking/essay-writing computer is increasingly impractical, partly 'cause of the battery life, and partly because - even with an SSD upgrade - it really bogs down if you're not super careful about killing background apps and such. So, I thought, hey, why not get a keyboard for my iPad and use that instead? Basic word processing and note-taking is exactly the sort of thing an iPad Pro can reasonably be expected to do.

Unfortunately, I've run into a problem: my primary tool for essay writing is Google Docs, because I really appreciate the convenience of always having everything available through a browser on any computer, with all my essays safely backed up to Drive. However, the Docs iOS app, for whatever reason, doesn't seem to support footnotes, which leaves me kinda dead in the water—the referencing system I have to use requires them. And iOS Safari really doesn't seem to like desktop Docs. So... Basically, I'm kinda stuck? I was just wondering if anyone else had any experience with Docs on an iPad, in case I've missed something.

Deleted member 2474

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

https://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Aluminum-Multi-Port-Pass-Through-Ethernet/dp/B01FWT7MEA

Hey, sorry if this ends up going nowhere, but I've just run into a problem with my iPad Pro - and Google Docs, I suppose - that I hadn't really anticipated.

Basically, my old MacBook Pro from 2010 is finally getting to the point where using it as my primary note-taking/essay-writing computer is increasingly impractical, partly 'cause of the battery life, and partly because - even with an SSD upgrade - it really bogs down if you're not super careful about killing background apps and such. So, I thought, hey, why not get a keyboard for my iPad and use that instead? Basic word processing and note-taking is exactly the sort of thing an iPad Pro can reasonably be expected to do.

Unfortunately, I've run into a problem: my primary tool for essay writing is Google Docs, because I really appreciate the convenience of always having everything available through a browser on any computer, with all my essays safely backed up to Drive. However, the Docs iOS app, for whatever reason, doesn't seem to support footnotes, which leaves me kinda dead in the water—the referencing system I have to use requires them. And iOS Safari really doesn't seem to like desktop Docs. So... Basically, I'm kinda stuck? I was just wondering if anyone else had any experience with Docs on an iPad, in case I've missed something.

Have you considered switching to Pages? It also has a browser app at iCloud.com, and of course you can save everything in iCloud Drive.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
https://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Aluminum-Multi-Port-Pass-Through-Ethernet/dp/B01FWT7MEA

Have you considered switching to Pages? It also has a browser app at iCloud.com, and of course you can save everything in iCloud Drive.

Pages is kind of an impractical option for me, sadly. Even putting aside the hassle of moving the years of stuff I already have in Docs, I don't pay for iCloud storage so I won't realistically have enough spare room to store everything, I can't access Pages on my phone because I don't have an iPhone, and I can't really use the Pages browser app because of this:

ONlDyKr.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Deleted member 2474

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pages is kind of an impractical option for me, sadly. Even putting aside the hassle of moving the years of stuff I already have in Docs, I don't pay for iCloud storage so I won't realistically have enough spare room to store everything, I can't access Pages on my phone because I don't have an iPhone, and I can't really use the Pages browser app because of this:

ONlDyKr.jpg

Ugh, that sucks. I know Microsoft Word on iPad also supports footnotes. Google Docs seems like the odd one out here, unfortunately for your workflow.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Ugh, that sucks. I know Microsoft Word on iPad also supports footnotes. Google Docs seems like the odd one out here, unfortunately for your workflow.
Yeah, it's a real bummer that the one specific service I use is seemingly the only one with the issue—it's just irritating that all the other options are either compromised in other ways, or require a monthly fee.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's a real bummer that the one specific service I use is seemingly the only one with the issue—it's just irritating that all the other options are either compromised in other ways, or require a monthly fee.

Have you tried using Chrome with google docs on iPad? I am not sure how it works, just asking...

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bought a Magsafe to Magsafe 2 adapter to use with my old Magsafe charger, which was in such poor shape I could use it to give exactly one charge before dying out on me. :/

3rd party chargers are really not recommended right?

Oct 25, 2017
Bought a Magsafe to Magsafe 2 adapter to use with my old Magsafe charger, which was in such poor shape I could use it to give exactly one charge before dying out on me. :/

3rd party chargers are really not recommended right?

Nope. When it comes to places to cheap out, your power supply is really the worst place to do it.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Returning my 13 inch Touch Bar MBP. Mostly since I got the stock one, which is only 8GB. Might as well max it out to 16GB, since these are so expensive.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
It's unlikely to make a difference. All web browsers on iOS use the same underlying framework.
Yeah, but he wasn't using the browser before but rather the Google App for documents.
Perhaps the web version allows footnotes?

EDIT: Never mind, I see now he had tried Safari already.

Last edited:

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking to buy a MBP for someone but not the latest one since they probably can't afford it so is the 2015 still good? Is it still recent enough?
I was looking to get a refurbished one. Would EBay be the best place to get one? Thanks.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking to buy a MBP for someone but not the latest one since they probably can't afford it so is the 2015 still good? Is it still recent enough?
I was looking to get a refurbished one. Would EBay be the best place to get one? Thanks.

A lot of people love the MBP 2015. Here's Marco Arment orgasming over it: https://marco.org/2017/11/14/best-laptop-ever

It's not on the Apple refurbish store, but eBay could work as long as you do the normal safe buying practices.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people love the MBP 2015. Here's Marco Arment orgasming over it: https://marco.org/2017/11/14/best-laptop-ever

It's not on the Apple refurbish store, but eBay could work as long as you do the normal safe buying practices.

Can I get them for less anywhere else? I usually buy everything from eBay by default.
I'm also guessing manufacturer refurb is better than seller refurb?
Is the 13 inch as good as the 15 inch?

Thanks for answering all my questions.

Last edited:

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Does the 2012-2015 rMBP 15 inch vent out the keyboard or out the hinge in the back? I am trying to figure out if it will get too hot operating in clamshell mode with an external keyboard... I have a 2012. thanks!

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nope. When it comes to places to cheap out, your power supply is really the worst place to do it.
Thanks, figured as much. I'll keep it safe.
Does the 2012-2015 rMBP 15 inch vent out the keyboard or out the hinge in the back? I am trying to figure out if it will get too hot operating in clamshell mode with an external keyboard... I have a 2012. thanks!
I think it must be like the 13", so the vents are on the top case just behind the keyboard in the hinge space, and the hinge is designed to get out of the way even when the lid is closed. You can see the vents in clamshell mode.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Have you tried using Chrome with google docs on iPad? I am not sure how it works, just asking...
Unfortunately, Apple mandate that all third-party browsers on iOS use Safari's rendering engine, so iOS Chrome doesn't get along with desktop Google Docs any better than Safari does. It sorta works, but everything from text selection to the menus is just broken enough to not be worth bothering with.

I might try getting a new battery for my MacBook, but the issue there is that it's old enough that official Apple parts are basically impossible to get hold of, and third party batteries are kinda a minefield. There's also the option of upgrading the RAM to try resolving the performance issues - I'm still on four gigs - but I've checked and I don't seem to be using much swap as is, so I doubt it'd make a huge difference--the old Core 2 Duo is probably just too much of a bottleneck at this point.

EDIT:

Yeah, but he wasn't using the browser before but rather the Google App for documents.

Perhaps the web version allows footnotes?

Ah, sorry, should've read further down the thread before responding! Yeah, I'd tried running it in the browser, and it does support footnotes--it's just broken in a whole host of other ways.

I might just get a cheap Chromebook or something for essay writing/note-taking purposes if I can't sort my MacBook, I dunno.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I've read a lot of tutorials on installing Windows via Bootcamp to an external SSD with great results. Anyone ever done it? Any regrets?

Also, if I install Windows via Bootcamp to an external, is it then portable? Can I use it with any Mac?

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Ah, sorry, should've read further down the thread before responding! Yeah, I'd tried running it in the browser, and it does support footnotes--but is broken in a whole host of other ways.

I might just get a cheap Chromebook or something for essay writing/note-taking purposes if I can't sort my MacBook, I dunno.
Yup, I just got that and edited my post. I see you had tried Safari already. That's a shame.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've read a lot of tutorials on installing Windows via Bootcamp to an external SSD with great results. Anyone ever done it? Any regrets?

Also, if I install Windows via Bootcamp to an external, is it then portable? Can I use it with any Mac?

I haven't tried, but Windows is so driver-dependent in a way that macOS isn't that I'm going to assume the answer is no. Unless boot camp utility installs every single driver for every Mac configuration and not just the ones for your machine.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately, Apple mandate that all third-party browsers on iOS use Safari's rendering engine, so iOS Chrome doesn't get along with desktop Google Docs any better than Safari does. It sorta works, but everything from text selection to the menus is just broken enough to not be worth bothering with.

I might try getting a new battery for my MacBook, but the issue there is that it's old enough that official Apple parts are basically impossible to get hold of, and third party batteries are kinda a minefield. There's also the option of upgrading the RAM to try resolving the performance issues - I'm still on four gigs - but I've checked and I don't seem to be using much swap as is, so I doubt it'd make a huge difference--the old Core 2 Duo is probably just too much of a bottleneck at this point.

ifixit sells pretty good well tested Mac laptop batteries. They also sell kits to put them in if you need something like a pentalobe screwdriver, and they provide step by step instructions on their web page. I replaced a battery in my 2011 MBA about a year ago using them and it worked out great.

OWC may also be reliable, but I haven't tried them...

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017

ONlDyKr.jpg

This is what Brexit is all about.

HierArch

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Apple Music on iOS desperately needs a color palette change and a landscape mode (for iPhone). And did Apple ever say why they ended up burying the "heart" option from the "playing now" section? The app has so much potential thanks to the great library of music, but damn, I wish they finally do something with the app UI.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
It's really hard to not impulse buy my first Apple Watch right now, but we are only one month away from Series 4, so I must have patience. :(

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New iPads and Macs release September 28th at the earliest, even if announced earlier. Back to School promo ends the 25th, products generally release on a Friday, and I highly doubt they'll release new Macs within the promo period but at the very end, that would be a super unpopular move

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't tried, but Windows is so driver-dependent in a way that macOS isn't that I'm going to assume the answer is no. Unless boot camp utility installs every single driver for every Mac configuration and not just the ones for your machine.
If the MacBook died and I got a replacement with Apple, would it work with the new machine assuming it is the exact make/model/specs?

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah supposedly apple prefers to do only one event.

That doesn't mean they wouldn't wait until October to release iPads and Macs.

With Apple it is anyone's guess.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
What does it take for Apple Music to show me new releases? There's been a new one by my followed artists on Thursday that I've been consciously aware of and the new release section still only shows one old item... so frustrating

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Quick question: is there any drawback to using an 85W Magsafe adapter on a MBP 13"? My local shop didn't have the 60W in stock so I took the 85, as I rather use my MBP again sooner rather than later. I read that a weaker Magsafe adapter might not be such a good idea but a more powerful is fine. So if the price is even the same it feels like a no-brainer to get it in any case, aside from availability. Haven't opened it yet so I could still return it if anyone knows differently.

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question: is there any drawback to using an 85W Magsafe adapter on a MBP 13"? My local shop didn't have the 60W in stock so I took the 85, as I rather use my MBP again sooner rather than later. I read that a weaker Magsafe adapter might not be such a good idea but a more powerful is fine. So if the price is even the same it feels like a no-brainer to get it in any case, aside from availability. Haven't opened it yet so I could still return it if anyone knows differently.

Yeah you'll be fine. I've got a 45W, 60W, and 85W in various places in my house (my wife has a 15" MBP and an Air, I have a 13") and the computers and/or chargers are smart enough that it's not a problem. Charging with a lower-wattage one might slow recharge speeds or lead to battery depletion in heavy workloads, but you can't really damage your computer using a higher wattage one.