• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Quick question: is there any drawback to using an 85W Magsafe adapter on a MBP 13"? My local shop didn't have the 60W in stock so I took the 85, as I rather use my MBP again sooner rather than later. I read that a weaker Magsafe adapter might not be such a good idea but a more powerful is fine. So if the price is even the same it feels like a no-brainer to get it in any case, aside from availability. Haven't opened it yet so I could still return it if anyone knows differently.

Electricity is always pulled, never pushed. Devices will only draw what they can handle. This goes for laptops, phones, etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking forward to a blue iPhone 9 with a X style screen. Hopefully for as cheap as Ming speculated but i'm Guessing it will be $700 and not any lower.

Also, i just bought my first iPad (got a really good deal, nearly half new price on a refurb) so of course i bet in October apple will come out with a $500 MacBook lol

I don't expect the rumored budget MacBook to be lower than $799 realistically if at all

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Apple Era, I'm actually kind of interested in the iPhone SE. Anyone here can tell me his/her experience with it? Especially camera and battery life experience. I'm planning on grabing that one or the XZ1 Compact.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey Apple Era, I'm actually kind of interested in the iPhone SE. Anyone here can tell me his/her experience with it? Especially camera and battery life experience. I'm planning on grabing that one or the XZ1 Compact.

People who have the SE truly love it. Battery life should be great and the only weakness is they cheated out on the front camera, especially in comparison to the rear camera.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
If you're used to getting good photos with your current phone then you may be disappointed with both of the SE's cameras. Everything else is pretty good though.

Oct 25, 2017
Somehow I got on the developer track for Safari 12 on Mac OS, and no wonder I've been having problems! (don't recall install this, but whatevs)

Question (basically for Zeyphersan since they answer all my questions anyway):

What DOESN'T Migration Assistant carry over to a new machine? Like, will it move launchd, launchctl stuff? Weird things I've done to Bash/Shell? MacPort installations? Cron jobs?

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Somehow I got on the developer track for Safari 12 on Mac OS, and no wonder I've been having problems! (don't recall install this, but whatevs)

Question (basically for Zeyphersan since they answer all my questions anyway):

What DOESN'T Migration Assistant carry over to a new machine? Like, will it move launchd, launchctl stuff? Weird things I've done to Bash/Shell? MacPort installations? Cron jobs?

According to the latest episode of The Talk Show where Gruber talks about the migration assistant, it moves damn near everything. Launch stuff was moved, his shell for Terminal was moved, etc. Wouldn't be surprised if the other stuff does at well.

Also you're too kind ;) this is what happens when you can't separate your work life from your personal life

Oct 25, 2017
I'm too paranoid (rightly and wrongly) about system and personal cruft to ever have used Migration Assistant. I'd rather deal with the minimal hassle of retweaking things and do a fresh install. Hell, I do fresh installs on the same machines (going to do one for Mojave on my desktop probably.)

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
If you're used to getting good photos with your current phone then you may be disappointed with both of the SE's cameras. Everything else is pretty good though.
People who have the SE truly love it. Battery life should be great and the only weakness is they cheated out on the front camera, especially in comparison to the rear camera.

Thanks, guys.
It's a bummer the camera is not that good.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The lack of a stable beta this week is painful. The settings app in the previous beta locks up consistently so that I can't access many settings at all.

Thanks, guys.
It's a bummer the camera is not that good.

As an SE owner, I find low light photography to be the device's weakest point. The SE shares the rear-facing camera with the iPhone 6S, which was good for 2015, but not very good for 2018.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are there good options on the Apple TV 4K to watch 4K content without such a strong internet connection? I'm theoretically at 50Mbps but it floats and some days are just awful. Buying or renting from iTunes I can cache/download content and play locally right?

With that in mind, are 32GB sufficient on it? They were more than enough in my regular ATV4, but with that I didn't need more than just streaming.

On that note, I wish that ol' regular streaming services started letting you download content on Apple TV like they do on iOS...

Oct 25, 2017
The impressive thing is not that they had to copy the outside of the phone, but now they are trying to emulate the wallpapers themselves. We're back to the sunflower icon nonsense Samsung pulled off.

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm actually happy, in that the more notched up the industry is the more likely the shape is properly and thoughtfully designed for. Filip Miucin that shit, Android.

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.macrumors.com/2018/08/14/ming-chi-kuo-apple-car-2023/

AR Glass in 2020, Car by 2025.

We expect that Apple Car, which will likely be launched in 2023–2025, will be the next star product. The reasons for this are as follows: (1) Potentially huge replacement demands are emerging in the auto sector because it is being redefined by new technologies. The case is the same as the smartphone sector 10 years ago; (2) Apple's leading technology advantages (e.g. AR) would redefine cars and differentiate Apple Car from peers' products; (3) Apple's service will grow significantly by entering the huge car finance market via Apple Car, and (4) Apple can do a better integration of hardware, software, and service than current competitors in the consumer electronics sector and potential competitors in the auto sector.

I guess the Car has replaced the "Apple is making a television" dream.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
It will require all my will power to not buy the first gen Glasses

Apple Watch Gen 1 still burns

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
I remember when the car was a 2020 project, i'm sure by the time 2022 comes it will become a 2030 project and so on.
Can't wait to see AR.

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well fuck, I dropped my iPhone 6s' screen straight down and cracked the screen.

New iPhone, or replace the screen?

Deleted member 1062

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
does anyone have a good solution for using a Magic Keyboard and Magic Trackpad 2 with more than one mac? I have these in any home office and I often switch between my work and personal MacBook pro, as far as I can tell you can't pair more than one mac to them and each time I switch computers I literally have to plug them in with a USB cable in order to re-pair them. its super annoying

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
does anyone have a good solution for using a Magic Keyboard and Magic Trackpad 2 with more than one mac? I have these in any home office and I often switch between my work and personal MacBook pro, as far as I can tell you can't pair more than one mac to them and each time I switch computers I literally have to plug them in with a USB cable in order to re-pair them. its super annoying

I've had success by just turning the switch off and on, and then it should show up in the Bluetooth menu ready to pair. USB shouldn't be required

Oct 25, 2017
In System Preferences, under Security and Privacy, while locked, I can still select and deselect which applications can have access to my contacts. Is this a known bug or something going on with my system?

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
In System Preferences, under Security and Privacy, while locked, I can still select and deselect which applications can have access to my contacts. Is this a known bug or something going on with my system?
It's on both my Macs too. One of which is on the previous beta, the other on the current. Are you on a beta or High Sierra? Seems like a bug definitely. It only locks the settings for the Location Services and Accessibility. But everything else, like Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, etc are unlocked.

Submit a report just in case it's a bug. Seems like it should be locked.

Oct 25, 2017
It's on both my Macs too. One of which is on the previous beta, the other on the current. Are you on a beta or High Sierra? Seems like a bug definitely. It only locks the settings for the Location Services and Accessibility. But everything else, like Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, etc are unlocked.

Submit a report just in case it's a bug. Seems like it should be locked.
I might've done the high sierra developer beta last year, but I am not in any beta at the moment. Just latest High Sierra for general public.

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
iFixit should be a reputable enough place to get a new screen right? $60 for a kit sounds a whole of a lot better than giving $150 to Apple....

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The new public beta is out and really smooth (snappier than the last pb by far). Safari no longer reloads on forward/back navigation and Settings is working again for me.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I felt brave and put this week's macOS Mojave beta on my main machine.

Runs great, honestly. Only program I've found that's broken is OpenEmu, because they were naughty and used a private API in their interface that no longer exists. Photoshop, Audition, FCPX, Logic, Xcode, Safari, Tweetbot, Transmission, LINE, Scrivener, all working fine so far.

Erebus

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Europe
iFixit should be a reputable enough place to get a new screen right? $60 for a kit sounds a whole of a lot better than giving $150 to Apple....
I've only bought a replacement screen for my 4s back in the day from iFixit and had no issues whatsoever. The screen quality was good and I could hardly tell the difference from the original part.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Tried installing a Honeywell smart thermostat today.

Great with computers, terrible with HVAC. That's me!

our old ass system doesn't have the power connection for smart thermostats. i'll have to wait till we get a new system. or a new house i guess.

my quest to install smart crap in my entire home derailed before it could truly begin