• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

diditstart

Dec 3, 2017
Los Angeles
Thanks all!

I installed the Mojave update for MBA yesterday. After this it rebooted. Now everything seems to be fine.

Temperature is way down compared to yesterday. And I am doing basically the same stuff...

Thanks for all your tips. I will test them and see if I still find anything that's fishy.

Edit: OK. Maybe not. I installed Dropbox and it is now getting the data. And the area is really warm again.
CPU is over 100% for some time. The fan started at least and it is a bit better. But that is weird...

Edit2: I have the MBA 1,6Ghz i5, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD
I suggest you let all processes run and finish (Dropbox sync, spotlight indexing etc) and then check the idle state. Basically your computer is working now, and will get hot. Nothing to worry about. If your MBA really, really gets too hot it will shut down automatically

Haselbacher

Oct 27, 2017
I suggest you let all processes run and finish (Dropbox sync, spotlight indexing etc) and then check the idle state. Basically your computer is working now, and will get hot. Nothing to worry about. If your MBA really, really gets too hot it will shut down automatically

Thanks!

Yes, after it is done downloading and stuff, it gets cool fairly quick. However, this warming up irritates me to say the least.

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's apparently still rumors of second-gen AirPods coming out this year. I know that if by like December 15th there's no rumblings I'll just grab a pair.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just setup my step dad's new iPad.

We got him a base model 2018 iPad. Big upgrade as he was using an old hand me down iPad mini 2 and my parents aren't tech savvy that they'll update on their own.

We got him this one for his birthday.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Meh, my iPad 3 batterys are dying. Nothing wrong with that, I am running that champ now for 6 years. Looks like I have to update next year.
My brother got last years model shortly before the new one released for 300€, hope I get a similar deal.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
I'm torn between the quad and hex core Mac mini.
How much would I be shooting myself in the foot getting the i3? It's not like I do much outside of music and internet browsing. Not like it's going to suddenly become obsolete within 4/5 years, right?
For what it's worth, I've got a 4K monitor and I plan on pairing it with the Vega 56 I already own when I want to do infrequent indie gaming. Razor Core X seems like a reasonable eGPU option.
The quad should be fine for a while. I think the upgrades are more of a value thing than a necessity. $300 gets you two more faster cores and ups the storage to 256GB.

Akitio Node seems like the cheapest eGPU option, it goes around $200.

For more features, the Mantiz Venus looks pretty interesting, particularly cause it has a SATA port inside for a SSD. From reviews it looks like it's just going through USB technically (which makes me wonder about the quality of the SATA-USB bridge chip) but a nice feature I'd like to see on others. Main concern would be that they're putting that and more USB ports and ethernet on the same TB controller as the GPU, so I worry about bandwidth to one or the other.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
There's apparently still rumors of second-gen AirPods coming out this year. I know that if by like December 15th there's no rumblings I'll just grab a pair.

Unlikely since we just had 2 presentations from Apple and nothing was said and they wouldnt make another presentation just for the Airpods. The sooner we could do that is by Q1 2019 when we might get the next iPhose SE - and I dont follow Apple news so maybe this isnt even happpening anymore.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm cleaning up my disk and I noticed that I've got a hidden folder called '.gallery' in my Movies folder which is about 8GB. I can't find anywhere what that folder might be. Any ideas here?

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know eGpus are generally known to be used with laptops, but it curious if the Mac mini and it's desktop processor, when paired with a high end eGpu could work with some games at 120/144hz. There isn't a lot of people online talking about this, but maybe soon we will get some more info.

Oct 25, 2017
I know eGpus are generally known to be used with laptops, but it curious if the Mac mini and it's desktop processor, when paired with a high end eGpu could work with some games at 120/144hz. There isn't a lot of people online talking about this, but maybe soon we will get some more info.

They could. At 120fps though I'm not sure how high a resolution you're going to get though.

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
The quad should be fine for a while. I think the upgrades are more of a value thing than a necessity. $300 gets you two more faster cores and ups the storage to 256GB.

Akitio Node seems like the cheapest eGPU option, it goes around $200.

For more features, the Mantiz Venus looks pretty interesting, particularly cause it has a SATA port inside for a SSD. From reviews it looks like it's just going through USB technically (which makes me wonder about the quality of the SATA-USB bridge chip) but a nice feature I'd like to see on others. Main concern would be that they're putting that and more USB ports and ethernet on the same TB controller as the GPU, so I worry about bandwidth to one or the other.
What worries me about the Akitio Node is the power supply. The Vega 56 I've got is burly!
Had a search and it sounds like most eGPU can't run it properly. I'd have to look into getting the pro model, but that costs more than the Razor Core X. But that's something I can do some more research on down the line.

For now, I put in the Mac Mini order last night. Quite excited to make the switch.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Between the 8, 8+, and Xr, which is the sturdiest iPhone for someone with butterfingers (assume a slim/TPU case and possibly a screen protector)?

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Usually even streamers who play at 144hz on a beefy PC play on medium/low settings.

Yeah I know 144hz requires a lot of GPU power and settings reduction. And I know eGPU is going to perform 25% (or whatever) worse than being internally connected.

But if you account for both those, get a beefier eGPU, dial the settings down appropriately, will you still end up running into separate thunderbolt 3 or CPU (mac mini CPU) bottlenecks that makes HFR unrealistic?

Oct 25, 2017
Between the 8, 8+, and Xr, which is the sturdiest iPhone for someone with butterfingers (assume a slim/TPU case and possibly a screen protector)?
All going to depend on your hand size and how tactile the case you put on it. I'd wager the 8 is the best given it's smaller with less screen size; they're all glass backed so equally grippy (and breakable).

Yeah I know 144hz requires a lot of GPU power and settings reduction. And I know eGPU is going to perform 25% (or whatever) worse than being internally connected.

But if you account for both those, get a beefier eGPU, dial the settings down appropriately, will you still end up running into separate thunderbolt 3 or CPU (mac mini CPU) bottlenecks that makes HFR unrealistic?

I don't think you're going to get a great answer because I don't know of any people trying that besides benchmark tests. While I doubt the processor will be a bottleneck, it seems like if you're trying to go cutting-edge like 120Hz+, you're better off just investing in a dedicated gaming PC.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
I don't see why it wouldn't, barring whatever regular performance issues. TB will take a little hit on the performance but beyond that should work like a regular GPU.

I'd look into whatever eGPU funkiness first though. Doesn't seem too bad but looks like there's some quirks/caveats to the setup, particularly if you plan to use Windows with it.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From what I've heard eGPUs are basically plug and play in Boot Camp on the mini. Just plug in, install the GPU drivers, and you're off.

lupin23rd

Oct 27, 2017
Was thinking of picking up an Apple Watch this weekend, but then started thinking whether we can expect the series 4 to be on sale or have some other perks for Black Friday. Does history say it's better to wait at this point?

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
Hey apple fam, it's been ages since I owned an iOS device and get me a new iPad 9.7. But how do I force the screen to lock? Or do I just have to wait till the auto lock kicks in?

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone confirm if FBreader app can sync ebook reading position between iOS and Android?

The app is out on both OS, and both store listing mention syncing via supported Google Drive integration.

I currently have only android phone with me, but if the syncing is supported between two devices, I would manage to read more. :)

I just want to confirm, FBReader can indeed sync ebook position between iOS [my ipad 2] and Android [my OnePlus 5T]. Google Drive sync has to be enabled in both apps. Free version of iOS FBReader has a single notable limmitation, it can only load up to 10 books on the GDrive.

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
My new MacBook Pro has finally arrived but I'm having trouble with the Migration Assistant... I tried to transfer the data from my old MBP via my Time Machine drive. It then said that the transfer is complete and a restart is required, but after restarting I get the "Welcome" screen again as if nothing happened. What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Now that I tried to restart the transfer, it tells me that there's not enough space available. I chose "Don't transfer anything now" but it won't let me sign in with my Apple ID either. So weird.

Last edited:

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
Edit:

Well, I'll be. Looks like there is some kind of problem. Not sure if it's the monitor or the cables, but yeah, looks like it's not going to get over 30Hz over HDMI.

Shall try my luck getting a USB C to DisplayPort cable.

-

Original post:
I'm looking to get some Mac help.

So, my 4K monitor (this one https://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-27UD58-B ), supports 60hz over HDMI. Until I can get a new video cable, I used the one that connects my UHD BR player to the TV. I'll try another cable, but I'm pretty sure these are alright.
I figure there's nothing there that would cause any issue. Only, the Mac Mini seems to be locked at 30hz?

I've looked around for refresh rate options and not had much luck. That also seems capped at 30.

Further digging shows that the system is outputting 6720 x 3780 (looks like 3360 x 1890 @ 30Hz)
That's according to the Graphics/Display tab in System Information.

My question: How do I get it to stop mucking about and just output native res at 60Hz?

Last edited:

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
When is Chrome for Mac going to get Dark Mode?

When is iOS going to get a system wide dark mode?
A lot of third party apps don't have dark mode yet. I don't know why.

Handbrake, Transmission, Carbon Copy Cloner, Sublime Text 3, StreamToMe.

Sublime can be themed which is fine, but the window chrome still appears sometimes and it's jarring to have it be light mode colored.

CCC doesn't make sense since they've been releasing beta updates on a weekly basis since Mojave was announced and still haven't implemented it even though I can't see it being that hard. There's not many custom resources in CCC that would need to be modified. Just window chrome which the OS would take care of. They just need to flip the switch. Not even a sneak peak at a dark mode version. Weird.

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Mode is going to take a long time to get fully adopted. Especially by Google.

It'd probably take even longer on iOS, and there you run into the black judder issues with OLEDs so the primary benefit of Dark Mode (to me) would have to be worked around (better battery life.)

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow the Airports are completely gone from Apple online store

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/11/16/airport-extreme-time-capsule-removed-from-apple-online-store/

I wonder when iOS and MacOS will drop the Airport utility App. My two Airports are still going strong.

Theoretically not until they hit vintage at least, so it's another couple of years. The fact that they bothered giving the Airport Express Airplay 2 firmware though suggests to me they'll keep them supported for a decent interval.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Mode is going to take a long time to get fully adopted. Especially by Google.

It'd probably take even longer on iOS, and there you run into the black judder issues with OLEDs so the primary benefit of Dark Mode (to me) would have to be worked around (better battery life.)
Yeah, I bet it's not gonna happen before mLED iPhones. The black smearing on OLED just looks bad.
I read mLED is supposed to help with that.

diditstart

Dec 3, 2017
Los Angeles
Ahh I see. That could definitely be it. Any idea what might be in that folder and if it's safe to remove?
I don't really work with resolve, use FCPX (did just download resolve again because of your post to check it out this weekend) but I think you can't just delete them. The directory is referenced in your current projects and settings and stores stills iirc.

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of third party apps don't have dark mode yet. I don't know why.

Handbrake, Transmission, Carbon Copy Cloner, Sublime Text 3, StreamToMe.

Sublime can be themed which is fine, but the window chrome still appears sometimes and it's jarring to have it be light mode colored.

CCC doesn't make sense since they've been releasing beta updates on a weekly basis since Mojave was announced and still haven't implemented it even though I can't see it being that hard. There's not many custom resources in CCC that would need to be modified. Just window chrome which the OS would take care of. They just need to flip the switch. Not even a sneak peak at a dark mode version. Weird.
There is a forked version out there of the latest stable Transmission that has dark mode. Haven't looked at some others.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
ERA dark mode looks fine on my XS Max in Safari. I don't even know what I'd be looking for in terms of jutter or screen flaws.

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017

This guy...

only a rich kid like him could consider a "clumsy" accessory to be a bigger problem than the whole thing bending with the force of a newborn.

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny watching the old breed of pundits pivoting to video reviews now. Although I imagine Gruber will be a text diehard until the heat death of the universe.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017

This guy...

only a rich kid like him could consider a "clumsy" accessory to be a bigger problem than the whole thing bending with the force of a newborn.

What a jerk.

These bend videos definitely give the impression that you shouldn't put this in a bag with literature etc. And the one I saw was the 11" to boot, 12,9" already had bending issues in the past, the thinness craze surely didn't help.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017

I think it'll take a long time for users to adopt it as well. I love a good dark theme, but I'm not down at all with the way Apple designed theirs. Generally, much too much contrast all over the place (window borders, text against background, etc.) which really hurts readability and contextual cues.

They really should've just given us a theme system so we can define our own colors for different attributes.

(and yeah, the iPhone X OLED judder issues are really bad when scrolling the feed in Tweetbot's new dark mode)