• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
anyone here with an ipad pro 10.5 ever had issues with touch responsiveness?

I haven't had any such issues with my 10.5. My only "problem" is that battery life seems shorter than on my old Mini 2, but that's possibly because we play more games on the Pro, whereas we mostly just used the Mini for streaming video.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't had any such issues with my 10.5. My only "problem" is that battery life seems shorter than on my old Mini 2, but that's possibly because we play more games on the Pro.
might wanna try resetting it and setting it up from scratch without a backup.

it's a pain, i know, but i had a similar issue - oddly short battery life - and it seemed to help.

Oct 25, 2017
What a jerk.

These bend videos definitely give the impression that you shouldn't put this in a bag with literature etc. And the one I saw was the 11" to boot, 12,9" already had bending issues in the past, the thinness craze surely didn't help.

Any tablet of that size is going to bend. I don't think people purposefully trying to bend their machines is at all a useful metric when discussing durability, especially since the reality of simple physics means this will always be a bigger issue the larger a machine you have ( I laughed at the bend video where the guy said 'it appears the weakest points are in the center'—like no shit any school age kid who has taken a semester of physics can tell you that every product's weak point will be in the middle when you bend stuff by getting leverage.)

The tradeoff Apple and everyone makes is how many people are going to abuse their products and benefit from a thicker product versus how many people are going to be happy with the weight savings. And they go with the latter group every time because most people aren't regularly bringing their machines in contact with razor blades and holding open flames to their screens.

Like Marco, I don't pay attention to this, and I'm not a "rich kid" buying new products every year. I just don't have any of these problems—with Lightning cables, with chargers, with my phone bending, with my computer ports "dying in half the time", with my hardware. Either I'm just magic, or the difference is in usage and thus damage is entirely preventable.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Well The new iPad Pros do also have weak points in the middle where the pencil charges (plastic not metal there) and on the other side in the middle there is a microphone. So it could be structurally stronger even at its current level of thin. I think it's too thin TBH. I wouldn't use it without a good case... I would keep mine from bending with a really good case that adds thickness if I bought a new iPad Pro.

With the iPhone 6 bendgate Apple did transition to making the iPhones a little thicker in future iterations and they fixed the structural weak points at the center of the phones in future iterations too.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Well over the past two weeks, I bought an iPad Pro 11", a iPhone XR, and an Apple Watch Series 4.

I am fairly sure Apple is now legally obligated to give me some stock.

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Any tablet of that size is going to bend. I don't think people purposefully trying to bend their machines is at all a useful metric when discussing durability, especially since the reality of simple physics means this will always be a bigger issue the larger a machine you have ( I laughed at the bend video where the guy said 'it appears the weakest points are in the center'—like no shit any school age kid who has taken a semester of physics can tell you that every product's weak point will be in the middle when you bend stuff by getting leverage.)

The tradeoff Apple and everyone makes is how many people are going to abuse their products and benefit from a thicker product versus how many people are going to be happy with the weight savings. And they go with the latter group every time because most people aren't regularly bringing their machines in contact with razor blades and holding open flames to their screens.

Like Marco, I don't pay attention to this, and I'm not a "rich kid" buying new products every year. I just don't have any of these problems—with Lightning cables, with chargers, with my phone bending, with my computer ports "dying in half the time", with my hardware. Either I'm just magic, or the difference is in usage and thus damage is entirely preventable.

Every tablet of that size is going to bend because the lever arms are much longer fair enough but the new one are noticeably weaker structurally compared to the old generation of iPad Pro... by a lot.
And you totally missed the point on making people notice the center as the weakest part of the device with your acting as a know-it-all only makes you look dumb, the center of the iPad is the weakest part because there the plastic part that charges the Apple Pencil that makes it structurally weak, do you know a device that hasn't the center as its weakest part? The iPhone 6 Plus which had it where the volume buttons are because in that point the rigidness of the device is only held in place by thin aluminium rails much alike the new iPad Pro's pencil charging area.

And let's not be naive, yes weight reductions are nice but aside from the iPad 3 no one ever complained about the weight of the iPad so if they used a thicker or more robust solution there no one would have ever complained.

Like Marco yours seems to be an approach of "screw you, got mine" where since it doesn't affect you then it means it's not important, for example i have had more than a couple of times (4-5 iirc) where Magsafe chargers cables just get tore up for no apparent reason, i have no kids nor pets and the charger always stays in place and let me tell you paying ~70€ each time because Apple can't be damned to wrap the charger's cable that doesn't decompose when in contact with air is angering... same happened with Lightning cables until i wised up and decided to buy a third party nylon one.
People here isn't demanding to have everything perfect but just something apparently worth the money one is paying, it's not asking the impossible to have a sturdy device or at least as durable as the older one (because remember if it was as strong as the older one this wouldn't have happened) especially when you raise up the prices for no real apparent vision and when everybody knows you have crazy high margins on everything you sell.

Oct 25, 2017
And let's not be naive, yes weight reductions are nice but aside from the iPad 3 no one ever complained about the weight of the iPad so if they used a thicker or more robust solution there no one would have ever complained.

Like Marco yours seems to be an approach of "screw you, got mine" where since it doesn't affect you then it means it's not important, for example i have had more than a couple of times (4-5 iirc) where Magsafe chargers cables just get tore up for no apparent reason, i have no kids nor pets and the charger always stays in place and let me tell you paying ~70€ each time because Apple can't be damned to wrap the charger's cable that doesn't decompose when in contact with air is angering... same happened with Lightning cables until i wised up and decided to buy a third party nylon one.
People here isn't demanding to have everything perfect but just something apparently worth the money one is paying, it's not asking the impossible to have a sturdy device or at least as durable as the older one (because remember if it was as strong as the older one this wouldn't have happened) especially when you raise up the prices for no real apparent vision and when everybody knows you have crazy high margins on everything you sell.

Yes there were. A number of reviews specifically pointed out that the size and weight of the previous 12.9" for example made it more unweildly, especially if trying to use it with a keyboard, and that it makes getting the larger screen more desirable than previously. And as pointed out, the old tablets bent too.

I'm not saying "screw you, got mine". I'm pointing out the very obvious reality that isn't a dramatic issue for most people. No one if forcing you to buy these products.

The idea your Magsafe chargers just tore themselves apart "for no reason" is pretty hilarious. If I can somehow get through college and five years of on-the-road pro work with my Magsafe chargers not even fraying around the cable connectors and my original generation Lightning cables (to say nothing of all the 30pin I still have lying around) in perfect condition, I'm going to say that it all comes down to your handling.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017

This might be the first time outside of Apple's campus that someone actually tried this.

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Yes there were. A number of reviews specifically pointed out that the size and weight of the previous 12.9" for example made it more unweildly, especially if trying to use it with a keyboard, and that it makes getting the larger screen more desirable than previously. And as pointed out, the old tablets bent too.

I'm not saying "screw you, got mine". I'm pointing out the very obvious reality that isn't a dramatic issue for most people. No one if forcing you to buy these products.

The idea your Magsafe chargers just tore themselves apart "for no reason" is pretty hilarious. If I can somehow get through college and five years of on-the-road pro work with my Magsafe chargers not even fraying around the cable connectors and my original generation Lightning cables (to say nothing of all the 30pin I still have lying around) in perfect condition, I'm going to say that it all comes down to your handling.
You know you are right about the 12.9' being too heavy, i honestly didn't think about it because for me as a product was totally outside my radar but that's totally on me. My bad.

Nobody forces me to buy these products but there's absolutely no need to defend it when there's a problem and the fact that we are talking about it means that it's certainly more pronounced and problematic than before.

As for the MagSafe: look, i still use the same setup which is the cord from the electrical outlet to the brick that lays on the ground and then the craptastic cable to the laptop. The first cable doesn't move, the brick doesn't move, the crappy cable doesn't move aside from the plug when i detach/attach it which is, as i hope you'll agree, absolute minimal stress. The socket->brick cable is still from the first one and you can see it's thick and sturdy but the second one is flimsy and worthless.
30 pin cables were ok (now those i mishandled! but still lasted a decent amount of time).

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Upgrading to Mojave was a huge mistake. A bunch of my apps dont work, including some Creative Cloud apps and performance just feels sloppier. Takes like 5-6 minutes for Mail to populate, App Store shows blank screens, opening apps take so much longer than before. Jesus. I reinstalled Mojave again, reset my pram and stuff and it still feels noticeably worse. Ugh.

Eagerly awaiting the next mini update.

Last edited:

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017

I had the 12.9" iPad Pro for a while. I could definitely see it being unwieldy with a keyboard. I mostly used it for drawing though, and for that it was great. It also generally stayed at home, or carried in my briefcase.

Some people need more common sense, iPads aren't made of admantium. Even if the frame was stronger -- which I'm not saying it shouldn't be, they probably should've used Apple Watch quality aluminum and made it thicker -- you've got a huge piece of glass which focused pressure could crack.

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Upgrading to Mojave was a huge mistake. A bunch of my apps dont work, including some Creative Cloud apps and performance just feels sloppier. Takes like 5-6 minutes for Mail to populate, App Store shows blank screens, opening apps take so much longer than before. Jesus. I reinstalled Mojave again, reset my pram and stuff and it still feels noticeably worse. Ugh.

Eagerly awaiting the next mini update.
On which machine are you running it?

Oct 25, 2017
I had the 12.9" iPad Pro for a while. I could definitely see it being unwieldy with a keyboard. I mostly used it for drawing though, and for that it was great. It also generally stayed at home, or carried in my briefcase.

Some people need more common sense, iPads aren't made of admantium. Even if the frame was stronger -- which I'm not saying it shouldn't be, they probably should've used Apple Watch quality aluminum and made it thicker -- you've got a huge piece of glass which focused pressure could crack.

If Apple was able to make it with tougher aluminum, they probably would have—I imagine there's some limitations with how much they can produce (the same way that they aren't making MacBooks out of it) and so they prioritize the smaller devices.

The suggestion by Gruber recently that the reason Apple isn't putting USB-C cables into its iPhone boxes yet because they physically don't have enough connectors makes a lot more sense than the idea Apple is trying to penny-pinch. They are the only ones aggressively pushing a USB-C future.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My partner's iPhone SE died on the charger last night, going from ~70% charged to a black (lit) screen to entirely powered off. Can't hard reset, can't get into DFU mode, can't get the charging symbol. Set up a Genius Bar appointment for Wednesday.

We had the battery replaced at an Apple store a couple months ago. I hope they'll replace the device at no additional cost on that basis (assuming that repair is tied to the current failure). None of the current iPhones are particularly attractive to us with their current form factors and pricing, and I'm not keen on buying a used older-model phone. :/

(My prior post regarding buying a new device was for my partner's sibling, whose 6S has suffered a lot of physical damage.)

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
If Apple was able to make it with tougher aluminum, they probably would have—I imagine there's some limitations with how much they can produce (the same way that they aren't making MacBooks out of it) and so they prioritize the smaller devices.

The suggestion by Gruber recently that the reason Apple isn't putting USB-C cables into its iPhone boxes yet because they physically don't have enough connectors makes a lot more sense than the idea Apple is trying to penny-pinch. They are the only ones aggressively pushing a USB-C future.
We are talking about the first or second most valuable company on earth right now and the one that has the most cash reserves... if they don't do something is not because they can't do it but because they don't want to. It's ridiculous to think otherwise.
Late 2015 rMBP, i7 + 16gb ram. Maybe I should have waited a little longer to update like I did with HS.
oh wow that a very recent machine to feel slower with a new OS... really strange.

Oct 25, 2017
We are talking about the first or second most valuable company on earth right now and the one that has the most cash reserves... if they don't do something is not because they can't do it but because they don't want to. It's ridiculous to think otherwise.

oh wow that a very recent machine to feel slower with a new OS... really strange.

All the money in the world doesn't solve engineering, technology, or supply problems.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Haha, they're only doing this to themselves... that new "Reasons why iPad Pro can be your next computer" ad. "It's as easy as this" - yeah except your file management app doesn't have a fucking plain text editor still

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
All the money in the world doesn't solve engineering, technology, or supply problems.
Are you aware that in Shenzen alone there are countless companies that have the only purpose of selling and producing MFI products and cables in general that can fulfill every order you make? This isn't a supply/engineering/technology problem, never was.

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

This might be one of Gruber's all-time worst takes.

USB-C connectors are an absolute commodity component at this stage. It's new to iOS but even Apple, let alone the industry at large, have been using them for years. The OLED X screens last year was a potential supply chain problem; this definitely isn't.

Also the idea that only Apple are pushing USB-C is fanciful.

Oct 25, 2017
This might be one of Gruber's all-time worst takes.

USB-C connectors are an absolute commodity component at this stage. It's new to iOS but even Apple, let alone the industry at large, have been using them for years. The OLED X screens last year was a potential supply chain problem; this definitely isn't.

Also the idea that only Apple are pushing USB-C is fanciful.

Not USB-C, lightning.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Late 2015 rMBP, i7 + 16gb ram. Maybe I should have waited a little longer to update like I did with HS.
I have a 2013 version of that same machine and Mojave works fine for me. At least not those issues you have. All I have is the Finder eating up RAM and causing slowdown if I don't quit it once in a while which I think might be blamed on iCloud Drive but I haven't proven it since I'm afraid to turn it off and have it delete my files or something. But I digress.

Deleted member 31199

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I was considering getting 32 GB of RAM for my new Mac mini whenever I decide to get it even though I don't need it. How far down the line would 32 GB become close to the standard? I will definitely get 16 GB.

Oct 25, 2017
I was considering getting 32 GB of RAM for my new Mac mini whenever I decide to get it even though I don't need it. How far down the line would 32 GB become close to the standard? I will definitely get 16 GB.

What are you planning on using your mini for? 16GB should be more than enough for day-to-day tasks (my 8GB MBP and 4GB MBA still do fine, especially when you add a content blocker.) If you have a utility like iStat you can see how heavily you're regularly pegging your memory.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hey ya'll, i just upgraded to Mojave and discovered the video screencap option. i'm on a 2k15 air and i'm wondering if there's any way to capture audio using the cmd shift 5 capture function or if im still stuck with Quicktime and soundflower

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 2013 version of that same machine and Mojave works fine for me. At least not those issues you have. All I have is the Finder eating up RAM and causing slowdown if I don't quit it once in a while which I think might be blamed on iCloud Drive but I haven't proven it since I'm afraid to turn it off and have it delete my files or something. But I digress.

I don't know if it was changed for Mojave or if it's more weirdness but I can't open Finder windows from Spotlight anymore. "Finder" doesn't show up on the search results like it used to.

Almost everyone I know had a decent experience with Mojave so I feel like my machine is just cursed.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Hell I'd say 8 is still pretty standard for the most part, but depends what you plan to do with it. 16 should be fine for a while either way.
I don't know if it was changed for Mojave or if it's more weirdness but I can't open Finder windows from Spotlight anymore. "Finder" doesn't show up on the search results like it used to.

Almost everyone I know had a decent experience with Mojave so I feel like my machine is just cursed.
Your other post made it sound like indexing or something was happening in the background. How long did you use it before giving up on it, and did you use Activity Monitor or something to try to figure out what was happening?

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
It just happened.. After a year I got my arrow keys stuck on the 2017 MacBook Pro 13" TB.

I'll be fixing the keyboard and sell the computer so I can order the 2018 15"... I also found out I should always get a 15" due to the dGPU (I connect to 2 4K monitors at work and the 13" is suffering already)

Deleted member 31199

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
For those of you that own the new Mac mini, has "coil whine" been a problem for any of you? Over at MacRumors, I see a lot of people experiencing this problem and even returning their machines over it. Is it really that much of a problem? I run my CPU fan at max speed (via smcfancontrol) so I wouldn't even hear the noise most likely.

I also have heard issues of crashing and the T2 chip, but this seems to be less common.

Right now, the minimum I would be spending is $1,600 if/when I do get the machine.

- Core i3 (probably wouldn't need the hex i5 coming from the 2014 2.6 dual i5)

- 16 GB of RAM

- 512 GB SSD

- Applecare+

I thought about 10 GB Ethernet but I am unsure about that.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
What's the deal with that 4 day long Apple Shopping Event?

Not like there's gonna be good hardware deals but any leaks about AppStore stuff or sth?

Oct 25, 2017
For those of you that own the new Mac mini, has "coil whine" been a problem for any of you? Over at MacRumors, I see a lot of people experiencing this problem and even returning their machines over it. Is it really that much of a problem? I run my CPU fan at max speed (via smcfancontrol) so I wouldn't even hear the noise most likely.

I also have heard issues of crashing and the T2 chip, but this seems to be less common.

Right now, the minimum I would be spending is $1,600 if/when I do get the machine.

- Core i3 (probably wouldn't need the hex i5 coming from the 2014 2.6 dual i5)

- 16 GB of RAM

- 512 GB SSD

- Applecare+

I thought about 10 GB Ethernet but I am unsure about that.

Given that 10gE is a $100 addition and you can't replace it easily yourself (and external solutions are kind of annoying or bulky) I'd just bite the bullet and upgrade it now, especially if you intend on using this machine for a couple of years as >1gE devices and networks continue to proliferate.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
It just happened.. After a year I got my arrow keys stuck on the 2017 MacBook Pro 13" TB.

I'll be fixing the keyboard and sell the computer so I can order the 2018 15"... I also found out I should always get a 15" due to the dGPU (I connect to 2 4K monitors at work and the 13" is suffering already)

Welcome to the club, I just had my second keyboard replaced under warranty. Another second-gen failure waiting to happen.

I have not heard any coil whine (not even sure what that is). The fan is definitely louder than my MBP, but I don't notice it when working. I have the top-end 3.2Ghz chip.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018

Are the dual 4K displays the only reason you need the GPU? An eGPU setup would be another option, although only really makes sense if the price of everything works out and/or you prefer the 13" form factor.
Given that 10gE is a $100 addition and you can't replace it easily yourself (and external solutions are kind of annoying or bulky) I'd just bite the bullet and upgrade it now, especially if you intend on using this machine for a couple of years as >1gE devices and networks continue to proliferate.
Yeah that one is hard to decide on cause it's a good deal...but might be years before you can actually take advantage of it. Or you spend a crapload on other stuff to take advantage of it now.

Might get it cause I keep my minis around, this one will probably eventually be a server down the line and hopefully 10 gig stuff is more common and affordable by then.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Are the dual 4K displays the only reason you need the GPU? An eGPU setup would be another option, although only really makes sense if the price of everything works out and/or you prefer the 13" form factor.

Yeah that one is hard to decide on cause it's a good deal...but might be years before you can actually take advantage of it. Or you spend a crapload on other stuff to take advantage of it now.

Might get it cause I keep my minis around, this one will probably eventually be a server down the line and hopefully 10 gig stuff is more common and affordable by then.

No it's also for gaming and video editing from time to time + screen real estate with the 15"

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else been having crazy battery issues lately? I was watching YouTube videos on my iPhone 8 Plus with WiFi on and it went from 50% to 10% in about an hour. My phone was warm as fuck like I was playing a game or using some AR app.