• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else been having crazy battery issues lately? I was watching YouTube videos on my iPhone 8 Plus with WiFi on and it went from 50% to 10% in about an hour. My phone was warm as fuck like I was playing a game or using some AR app.

Check your battery page in the Settings to see if there's an app running wild in the background. I've found a bug in Mail in iOS 12 where it will occasionally eat up CPU in the background, only way I've found to stop it is a force quit.

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada
Well, all the components for my new Mini system arrived. Not particularly mini with everything, but probably slightly smaller than the Mac Pro they will replace:
not_so_mini.jpg

Not a final set up, I just put everything together at the office to make sure it all worked.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, all the components for my new Mini system arrived. Not particularly mini with everything, but probably slightly smaller than the Mac Pro they will replace:
not_so_mini.jpg

Not a final set up, I just put everything together at the office to make sure it all worked.

OWC eGPU enclosure?

Nice to see everything in scale. Yeah if I go this way it won't be as compact as I'd hope for but still significant space savings compared to my cheesegrater as well. I'd want a long enough TB3 cable that I can take that away while my Mac mini is still relatively available though.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
not_so_mini.jpg

Heh, wish there were smaller eGPU boxes for short cards. Well there's a few but none super ideal. Akitio has one meant for other stuff, so only works with lower end bus powered cards. Asus has reasonably priced bundled card box, but not sure it works with Macs (without a little software hack), and apparently it has a noisy fan.

Zotac is pretty close. They have one with enough power for lower power midrange cards (150W), and larger one I think for full power (but still short) cards...but that one doesn't actually seem to exist yet. Still seem overly fat too.

Course for the sake of Mac compatibility I'd like AMD, but AMD short cards are seemingly rare so it's a moot point.

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada

Yeah. And their 4-bay HDD enclosure. The TB3 cable that came with the drive bay is much longer than the one that came with the eGPU. Will keep them that way since the eGPU is much quieter than the drive enclosure at idle.

Heh, wish there were smaller eGPU boxes for short cards.

I stuck a 500W RX580 in there... so it's the right size for what I want. I was just imagining it the size of the drive enclosure when I ordered everything.

I need to get an HDMI to DVI adaptor and set up an old monitor in case I need to troubleshoot them mini, because right now it doesn't get video until the login screen and the GPU is the only way I have to drive the display I have (27" 1440p with only DVI-DL input).

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Your other post made it sound like indexing or something was happening in the background. How long did you use it before giving up on it, and did you use Activity Monitor or something to try to figure out what was happening?

About 2 weeks or so until I reinstalled Mojave. Sometimes it says its indexing on Spotlight, other times it doesn't. How long does it normally take to finish indexing? Regarding Activity Monitor, I don't really know what to use it for other than force quitting apps (which I've been doing a lot lately :P)

Also, it's been like 14 hours but apparently Xcode still isn't done installing components. Is this supposed to take this long?

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
About 2 weeks or so until I reinstalled Mojave. Sometimes it says its indexing on Spotlight, other times it doesn't. How long does it normally take to finish indexing? Regarding Activity Monitor, I don't really know what to use it for other than force quitting apps (which I've been doing a lot lately :P)

Also, it's been like 14 hours but apparently Xcode still isn't done installing components. Is this supposed to take this long?
In Activity Monitor, show all processes then sort by CPU usage. Could be s memory thing, but just look at the memory pressure graph for that (since the various numbers can be misleading if you don't know what they mean exactly).

Xcode no clue, haven't installed in years. I just remember it being huge and lots of files.

Anyway in other news, anyone looking at a stock Mac mini config, Adorama has $100 off through Apple Insider. And $225 off Vega MBP configs:
https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...-every-vega-15-macbook-pro-1050-off-closeouts

Oct 25, 2017
Happy Thanksgiving!

Migration Assistant is stuck transferring one Mac to another over WiFi. Says there 25 minutes left, and has said that for over an hour with no change. Do I need to cancel it and try again or could it still be working and I'm just being impatient?

asdad123

Oct 25, 2017
Any suggestions for a usb c to usb c charging cable? I have the apple 30watt usb c charger but forgot my cable over seas so need a new one. Don't really feel like paying $20 to apple for a new one lol.

Massa

Oct 27, 2017
Any suggestions for a usb c to usb c charging cable? I have the apple 30watt usb c charger but forgot my cable over seas so need a new one. Don't really feel like paying $20 to apple for a new one lol.

You should pay Apple... USB-C cables is not something to cheap on, bad ones can kill devices.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Happy Thanksgiving!

Migration Assistant is stuck transferring one Mac to another over WiFi. Says there 25 minutes left, and has said that for over an hour with no change. Do I need to cancel it and try again or could it still be working and I'm just being impatient?
That's why I never transfer over WiFi.

Connect the old drive to the new machine. I keep backups so I just connect the backup drive to my new machine and copy it over.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
It's annoying how youtube defaults to low quality when embedded in safari here sometimes. Haven't been able to figure out why it happens when it does.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
So my Xbox 360 is slowly getting slower and more unreliable so I'm considering swapping it out with an Apple TV. No need to buy the 4K version if I don't have a 4K TV, right?

Is it on sale anywhere for Black Friday? I don't see it anywhere, but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss it somewhere.

Finally, can I store my own content on the internal storage or is it just for apps? I have a lot of DVDs ripped in iTunes and I'd love to be able to play them without relying on my MacBook to be powered on and awake.

Thickstone

Oct 27, 2017
So my Xbox 360 is slowly getting slower and more unreliable so I'm considering swapping it out with an Apple TV. No need to buy the 4K version if I don't have a 4K TV, right?

Is it on sale anywhere for Black Friday? I don't see it anywhere, but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss it somewhere.

Finally, can I store my own content on the internal storage or is it just for apps? I have a lot of DVDs ripped in iTunes and I'd love to be able to play them without relying on my MacBook to be powered on and awake.

I'd buy a 4K for future-proofing yourself.

As for storage, go with the lowest option. It's just for apps since the thing is a streaming-only box. You still need to stream you Library from other sources instead of saving it on ATV.

On a different note, the Black Friday apple sale is kind of a joke.

offshore

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Being a very long time free Spotify user, I can't believe that I'm very likely going to buy a yearly sub to Apple Music now my 3 month trial is up; despite iTunes being a total piece of garbage. The big kickers for me are Spotify's list view text being absurdly big; a complete lack of editing the track info and no ability to add other columns, like Year, Genre, etc.

If you could take Apple Music's superior music catalogue (in my case, anyway) Mini Mode, the ability add extra data columns and the white UI, and combine it with Spotify's far superior search and artist and album hyper-linking and superior personalisation (again, in my case) you'd have the best music service in the goddamned universe. lol. Why can't we have that :(

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
On a different note, the Black Friday apple sale is kind of a joke.

'Spend over £1,000 and get a £20 gift card on us ... for nothing!'.

To be fair, it is pretty crap everywhere; only £20-30 off all the new iPhones at John Lewis, or relying on cashback through Quidco to make your Apple purchase(s) feel a little bit less dearer.

With the current news of the iPhone XR not selling as well as expected, I half hoped to find one for £699 or less on today of all days, but alas...

japtor

Jan 19, 2018

Well if you can wait a few days, maybe you can take advantage of Target's deal:
https://milestomemories.boardingarea.com/target-20-off-coupon/
On 11/23/2018, if you make a minimum purchase of at least $0.01 through the Target app, you will receive a 20% off coupon. That coupon is valid towards a future purchase that you need to make between 11/27 and 12/8. You can only use the coupon once in-store, but there's no maximum savings limit.

Key Terms

Must make purchase of at least $0.01 in app on 11/23/2018
20% off coupon valid starting from 11/27 until 12/8/2018
Single use in store
Limit one per guest
Coupon availability limited.
Doesn't say anything excluding Apple (as usually happens with big coupons) so hopefully it'll work.

Ox Code

Jul 21, 2018
I think I'm going to get this as my egpu for the mac mini. It's as small as I can get while still fitting my 970. Anyone know of anything smaller (without being more expensive)?

asus-xg-station-pro-strix-gtx-1080-ti-lg-4k-front-view.jpg

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Money to get a new MacBook Air. Received the older mode right before the new release.

What is the best option? I see the new air 256 GB on Amazon for 1299.

Am i better off just getting the pro? I don't know much about the newer versions. I do mostly browsing and all, might start another grad program soon.

Also what is this keyboard issue that I hear about?

Thanks guys

Haribokart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Money to get a new MacBook Air. Received the older mode right before the new release.

What is the best option? I see the new air 256 GB on Amazon for 1299.

Am i better off just getting the pro? I don't know much about the newer versions. I do mostly browsing and all, might start another grad program soon.

Also what is this keyboard issue that I hear about?

Thanks guys

The price/weight difference between the Pro and the Air is so minuscule that I genuinely can't understand why anybody would choose the latter.

Oct 25, 2017
That's why I never transfer over WiFi.

Connect the old drive to the new machine. I keep backups so I just connect the backup drive to my new machine and copy it over.
Yeah, it was faster for me to find an old hard drive and just clone things.

Sidenote: Holy crap is the new Mac Mini fast. Only complaint is that I'm running into some bugs with port forwarding and things with Plex and Screens which is making me nervous that things will break when I leave my home network, but I cobbled together a solution that works on my phone on LTE, so I guess it's working ok, but other than that it's all going tremendously well. Very happy with this upgrade and purchase.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
1) Should I bother with a screen protector for the 10.5 iPad I ordered?

2) What's a good bang for buck case? I think thinking about one of the ones where you can adjust between there angles. If I don't grab one of those, I should be good with grabbing a slim one from Amazon right?

3) Should I be concerned with this one bending if I was to put this in a backpack with other stuff?

95% of my use for this device will be on bed or on the couch so I'm not wasting money on Apple Care.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

2) What's a good bang for buck case? I think thinking about one of the ones where you can adjust between there angles. If I don't grab one of those, I should be good with grabbing a slim one from Amazon right?

3) Should I be concerned with this one bending if I was to put this in a backpack with other stuff?

95% of my use for this device will be on bed or on the couch so I'm not wasting money on Apple Care.

1. I got a cheap tempered glass one off eBay/Amazon. Works fine.
2. Got a knock-off smart case with back protection from same. Works fine.
3. Never experienced any bending issues while traveling cross-country with iPad in backpack.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Any way to force merging of message threads? I thought this was supposed to happen automatically in iOS 12 but it keeps making separate threads (phone and mail are assigned to same contact).

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Bit the bullet and ordered a refurb 15" rMBP from the apple site. Looking forward to it! I went with the 15" 16GB/512GB/560X configuration. Will be replacing my 2013 13" 8GB/256GB, which will go to family.

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
Looking to get a new MacBook Pro, do a lot of video editing and motion design. So confused on which processor to get for future proofing.

Looking to get the vega 20 graphics card but could save money if I went with the i7. Wise move? Will I notice much difference in the future if I went with the i9 now?

Cheers in advance

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On MacOs I know, but it should work fine with Boot camp, correct?

Yeah, Boot Camp should be fine.

Looking to get a new MacBook Pro, do a lot of video editing and motion design. So confused on which processor to get for future proofing.

Looking to get the vega 20 graphics card but could save money if I went with the i7. Wise move? Will I notice much difference in the future if I went with the i9 now?

Cheers in advance

The real world difference between the i7 and i9 is pretty minor. Spend that money on more RAM or SSD first.

Oct 25, 2017

Cheers in advance

The i9 is IMO a waste of money from a price versus performance ratio, and it's not like you get more physical cores that would potentially be better down the line. I echo detuned radios that RAM, SSDs, and GPUs are more important than a processor for you. While the Vegas are nice, I'm not sure they're worth spending $700 to get it if you aren't going for other upgrades.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017

Cheers in advance
Might as well get eGPU for the amount of money you spend on Vega 20. Don't do it unless you absolutely have to edit on the move.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if you DO need a good GPU in your macbook, the vega 20 is definitely a notable step up from the 555x and 560x and absolutely worth it. but if you're mostly going to be sitting a desk editing then an egpu is probably a better option.

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
I should have said that the system I'm looking at will have 32gb ram, 512gb ssd (will be using externals for the heavy bulk), Vega 20 with the option of an eGpU down the line.

The only thing I wasn't sure about is whether to bother with an i9 on top of that?

Last edited:

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I should have said that the system I'm looking at will have 32gb ram, 512gb ssd (will be using externals for the heavy bulk), Vega 20 with the option of an eGpU down the line.

The only thing I wasn't sure about is whether to bother with an i9 on top of that?
Everyone's saying not to bother with the i9. The extra performance isn't big enough to justify the extra price. With that RAM and GPU you'll be fine. But I guess if you have the money.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All caseology tempered screen protectors are free right now:

https://www.caseologycases.com
https://www.caseologycases.com/search?type=product&q=screen

Price will be $0.00 when you add to your cart. They make mostly iPhone, pixel and the newest galaxy phones. I think the s8 and s9 screens are the same however.

If someone wants to make a thread in etc that would be cool, I cannot.p
Gotta be a mistake. You can just order tens of protectors for all the phones and they're all free and free shipping to the US as well? Nah.

edit: I'm still putting in an order just in case they honor it, oh and thanks!

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
In the Gmail app for iOS, is there no way to add events to the system calendar? The app recognizes events within emails, but tapping them doesn't do anything.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Left work for a stroll at lunch and forgot my phone. So its the first time I've ever listened to music from my watch - it had automatically synced one album (which is all I had on my phone locally). Was pretty good, so it made me want to understand what I can/can't do.

On apple Music (without a sub), it only shows purchased songs right? No way for it to sync up a bunch of my own songs from my computer without an apple music sub? Alternatively I have google play music but I assume that just gets ignored by anything that can actually sync to my phone for offline listening?

Book One

Oct 25, 2017

I never used the screen protector as I feel they dull the screen more than I realized until comparing side by side. Plus I sucked at putting them on the big screen lol. Instead I got a 'smart cover' or one of those cases with one built in.

You don't have to worry about bending with any of them unless you're considering the best angle for a YouTube video.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Left work for a stroll at lunch and forgot my phone. So its the first time I've ever listened to music from my watch - it had automatically synced one album (which is all I had on my phone locally). Was pretty good, so it made me want to understand what I can/can't do.

On apple Music (without a sub), it only shows purchased songs right? No way for it to sync up a bunch of my own songs from my computer without an apple music sub? Alternatively I have google play music but I assume that just gets ignored by anything that can actually sync to my phone for offline listening?
You can sync your own stuff with your computer through iTunes, which may or may not be a bastard about syncing at times. I think you can define a playlist for the watch to sync, otherwise it'll just do your most played tracks I think.