• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
You can sync your own stuff with your computer through iTunes, which may or may not be a bastard about syncing at times. I think you can define a playlist for the watch to sync, otherwise it'll just do your most played tracks I think.

So no way without installing iTunes? These things are so self sufficient you'd think I could download from Dropbox or iCloud Drive etc

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
So no way without installing iTunes? These things are so self sufficient you'd think I could download from Dropbox or iCloud Drive etc
Through the stock music app, yeah it's iTunes (or iTunes Match, or Apple Music). Theoretically a third party app could do whatever with its own storage/cloud space, but I haven't looked into it. If it's possible it probably exists though. Main question would be storage space on the watch for apps but that might've been addressed in watchOS 5.

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone recommend a Mac keyboard for me? My old aluminum one that came with my 2012 iMac is starting to have issues with some keys, and after typing on the new MacBook Pro 2018's keyboard more, this keyboard feels rather loud. The three prerequisites I'm looking for are it's quiet, it has backlit keys, and works natively with bluetooth without requiring a dongle. I suppose since I use the Magic Trackpad something that matches or looks nice along side it would be a bonus.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Can anyone recommend a Mac keyboard for me? My old aluminum one that came with my 2012 iMac is starting to have issues with some keys, and after typing on the new MacBook Pro 2018's keyboard more, this keyboard feels rather loud. The three prerequisites I'm looking for are it's quiet, it has backlit keys, and works natively with bluetooth without requiring a dongle. I suppose since I use the Magic Trackpad something that matches or looks nice along side it would be a bonus.
Not sure about quiet but Matias has some similar to Apple keyboards, plus backlighting and multi device Bluetooth pairing:
http://matias.ca/aluminum/backlit/

Otherwise I just go to Logitech by default, looks like they have some backlit ones:
https://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards?filters=consumer

I'd try in a store if possible. I've gotten used to the Apple laptop keyboards (older ones at least) and have bought a few cheaper Logitech or other brand laptop style keyboards for other uses that feel like mushy garbage in comparison. From reviews it seems like the Matias feels similar to the previous Apple keyboards like the one you're replacing.

Apple's new standalone keyboards aren't as drastic a difference as their newer notebook ones, but it was noticeable when I played with one in store a few weeks back. I'd probably have already picked one up if they just had multi device support.

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever I look at some of these super-clean computer setups I get the urge to try and do something about my mess of cables, and then I give up because I've got way more things tied to way more devices. Maybe when I get my next system...

Michilin

Nov 14, 2017
Is the iPod Touch 6th generation still worth it? How's the battery like with iOS 12?

It would be mostly a Spotify player, it's half off right now in a store near me.

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure about quiet but Matias has some similar to Apple keyboards, plus backlighting and multi device Bluetooth pairing:
http://matias.ca/aluminum/backlit/

Otherwise I just go to Logitech by default, looks like they have some backlit ones:
https://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards?filters=consumer

I'd try in a store if possible. I've gotten used to the Apple laptop keyboards (older ones at least) and have bought a few cheaper Logitech or other brand laptop style keyboards for other uses that feel like mushy garbage in comparison. From reviews it seems like the Matias feels similar to the previous Apple keyboards like the one you're replacing.

Apple's new standalone keyboards aren't as drastic a difference as their newer notebook ones, but it was noticeable when I played with one in store a few weeks back. I'd probably have already picked one up if they just had multi device support.
Hadn't seen Matias pop up when I searched for keyboard recommendations. Thanks!

Logitech pops up all the time, but I've heard mixed things from people who buy them in person, and I would just love something as quiet as the MBP 2018's keyboard.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The control center homekit widget in my iPhone got out of sync or stopped updating the icons properly. For 3 light fixtures only, when I press one icon it switches the other and so forth. Like, Light 1 shows as on. I press on it and it turns on my Light 2 instead. If I force touch Light 1 it will show Light 2 name, icon and status.

Funny thing is that it works perfectly in the home app and in all other devices. Force close home app didn't fix it and neither did restarting the phone. How odd, I've used homekit for 2-3 years and never seen this.

Oct 25, 2017
Is the iPod Touch 6th generation still worth it? How's the battery like with iOS 12?

It would be mostly a Spotify player, it's half off right now in a store near me.
For half off it should be a good deal still. Those vintage models are rated for around 40 hrs audio playback. I haven't noticed any battery drops on my same-vintage 6, so I imagine it should be the same.

Mike D

Nov 2, 2017

If you buy, just make sure to get a good case. They're not as rugged as iPhones despite not having a glass back. Excellent value as a music-only device though especially at half off.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
I recently got new Ink'd Wireless bluetooth earphones. Whenever I connect them to my MacBook Air, the volume on the earphones are very, very loud regardless of how quiet I had set the earphones to be just before disconnecting them before. Is there a way to set a default audio level for earphones, other than 'just what it was before it was disconnected' as that one isn't working.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You can't activate an iPhone without a SIM.
Although he could just... activate it with a SIM and then remove it. I don't think that's even true anymore. You just need wifi to activate an iPhone these days. But as I type this I realize this may be true for unlocked iPhones only. Haven't dealt with carrier-locked iPhones in a while.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ok, double post, but something completely unrelated.

So I'm upgrading the SD card on my Nintendo Switch which is becoming a bit of a nuisance. By simply copying the contents in the SD to my Mac and then to the new SD (like Nintendo advises) I just get an error reading the new SD. It was properly formatted in the Switch prior to it.

So I used Disk Utility and I made an image out of the old 64GB SD. And then restored the image to the new 200GB SD. This was a partial success, as the new SD worked in the Switch and all the content was there. However, it was recognized as a 64GB SD. Then I realized the same happens in the Mac, it sees the 200GB SD as a 64GB SD.

With terminal I can see that the old SD partition map looks like:

Code:
/dev/disk2 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *63.9 GB    disk2
   1:               Windows_NTFS                         63.8 GB    disk2s1

And the new SD looks like:

Code:
/dev/disk2 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *196.9 GB   disk2
   1:               Windows_NTFS                         63.8 GB    disk2s1

I don't know why terminal sees NTFS partitions when DiskUtil says it's exFAT, but maybe that has something to do with why simply copying the data is giving an error? In any case, clearly it can still be observed at some level that the SD is 200GB so is there any way to extend the "Windows_NTFS" partition to the max and potentially solve this whole thing? DiskUtil Partition button is unfortunately greyed out.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
So I used Disk Utility and I made an image out of the old 64GB SD. And then restored the image to the new 200GB SD.
I remember having some problems with Nintendo SD cards and just imaging/restoring for whatever reason, like it'd just fail at some point in the process. I think I eventually copied just over the Finder or used some rsync based file copying app to be safe(r than the Finder).

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
How big of a premium price is placed in the Blackmagic eGPU Pro for $1,199?

RX Vega 64 with 8Gb
TB3 hub
Now including display port
85w power delivery
Whisper quiet
Good looking.

You can't ever swap out your card.

Edit: ok I compared it to an MSI Vega 64 and a Razer Core X and an Active TB3 cable on Amazon. This was $900ish.

So for $300 more you get much better looking, an extra TB3 port (instead of an extra HDMI), four USB3 ports, whisper quiet, and can't ever upgrade your card.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I have a Razer Core X and a Vega64 and I rarely hear it. It was cheaper than that Blackmagic eGPU. The docking/ports looks nice, but I'm fine with my setup.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How big of a premium price is placed in the Blackmagic eGPU Pro for $1,199?

RX Vega 64 with 8Gb
TB3 hub
Now including display port
85w power delivery
Whisper quiet
Good looking.

You can't ever swap out your card.

Edit: ok I compared it to an MSI Vega 64 and a Razer Core X and an Active TB3 cable on Amazon. This was $900ish.

So for $300 more you get much better looking, an extra TB3 port (instead of an extra HDMI), four USB3 ports, whisper quiet, and can't ever upgrade your card.

Razer Core X is $299, this Vega 64 on Newegg is $439:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202326

So $738 in total. Not sure why you threw in an active TB3 cable here either, since the Blackmagic eGPU just has a standard 0.5m passive cable. It's also a bad idea to daisy-chain TB3 devices off an eGPU as that will eat into the bandwidth available for the GPU, which is already constrained compared to a PCIe slot anyway. Plus, the eGPU Pro is a Vega 56, not a 64.

Oct 25, 2017
If they were a bit better priced they'd be tempting, but the cost premium plus the lack of upgradability certainly turn me off entirely. They'll be good for the same fire-and-forget crowd, but part of the appeal of an eGPU is its relative cost-effectiveness over time assuming you're reusing the enclosure and sharing it among machines.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I remember having some problems with Nintendo SD cards and just imaging/restoring for whatever reason, like it'd just fail at some point in the process. I think I eventually copied just over the Finder or used some rsync based file copying app to be safe(r than the Finder).
Thanks. Finder really couldn't do the trick and I tried to understand how to use rsync in Terminal with no luck. Ended up borrowing a Windows computer for a short while and it was fast and easy. Nintendo really isn't accounting for the Mac in the process they suggest. At least, not for the latest versions of macOS.

Michilin

Nov 14, 2017
For half off it should be a good deal still. Those vintage models are rated for around 40 hrs audio playback. I haven't noticed any battery drops on my same-vintage 6, so I imagine it should be the same.

If you buy, just make sure to get a good case. They're not as rugged as iPhones despite not having a glass back. Excellent value as a music-only device though especially at half off.

Might be better to get an iPhone SE (locked to a carrier) and just use it in airplane mode without a SIM (with WiFi enabled).

Thanks, but nvm, it was a 5th gen, they were trying to pass it as 6th

timeforsana

Oct 26, 2017
Had 3 crashes on my 2018 MBP 13 in 24 hours. One resulting in me losing some work (because apparently, auto recovery wasn't actually saving regularly in Word).

Looking around this seems to be a common problem that hasn't been fixed. Eugh.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Am I crazy or is there no way to access the "All Photos" view where all photos are sorted by recently added (see iOS photos.app) on macOS?
The "All Photos" setting there is sorted by the capture date provided in the meta data. Cant seem to find a way to change that.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Am I crazy or is there no way to access the "All Photos" view where all photos are sorted by recently added (see iOS photos.app) on macOS?
The "All Photos" setting there is sorted by the capture date provided in the meta data. Cant seem to find a way to change that.
Hmmm, there's those tabs on top.
I think either "Photos" or "Moments" is sorted by date added, rather than creation date of the image.

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
Got my pencil yesterday and now I cant stop using it to browse. I bought it with the intent that I was going to use it for image editing on Affinity but now I find myself using it for browsing almost like a mouse I would say. Just goes to show you that finger touch screens are pretty terrible to use as a navigation tool. Just wish battery lasted longer.

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Had 3 crashes on my 2018 MBP 13 in 24 hours. One resulting in me losing some work (because apparently, auto recovery wasn't actually saving regularly in Word).

Looking around this seems to be a common problem that hasn't been fixed. Eugh.
Yup, I had similar problems. In my case it seemed to have something to do with Safari browser extensions. After disabling all of them the problems disappeared and I haven't had problems since.

Oct 25, 2017
Man if our OP wasn't banned we could have a cool banner... oh well :P

I have officially reached the "give me more news" part of the Apple cycle, the excitement of new products has worn off... awaiting new chips for the pro lineup now.

Oct 25, 2017
Man if our OP wasn't banned we could have a cool banner... oh well :P

I have officially reached the "give me more news" part of the Apple cycle, the excitement of new products has worn off... awaiting new chips for the pro lineup now.
If you were ever in the official discords when the old site imploded, you can find said user complaining about their ban and how this site sucks as well. So, maybe for the best.

And, relatedly, https://www.macrumors.com/2018/12/03/tim-cook-adl-keynote-speech/

"We only have one message for those who seek to push hate, division, and violence, Cook said. "You have no place on our platform. You have no home here."

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question about Airpods - how easy are them for sharing? For example, if I buy a pair and pair them to my wife's phone, my phone, my computer and our Apple TV, how seamlessly can they switch between the various devices? I can't imagine very many scenarios where we'd ever want to use them at the same time, so seems silly to buy two sets.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I have a question about Airpods - how easy are them for sharing? For example, if I buy a pair and pair them to my wife's phone, my phone, my computer and our Apple TV, how seamlessly can they switch between the various devices? I can't imagine very many scenarios where we'd ever want to use them at the same time, so seems silly to buy two sets.
Edit: thought I was in the Android thread for some reason.

Airpods are shared over your Apple ID, so you can go to a device that has an active connection to your iCloud account and use them on there via the Airplay button.

Your wife won't be able to use them on hers simultaneously though. That requires pairing to her account.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Haha, this was a fun video:
https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/a2yos2/blackberry_beats_iphone_xs_in_mkbhds_blind_camera/

Both a useless test in how compression and host screen make smartphone comparisons hard to do, as well as a perfect test in how in the realm of just posting snapshots to social media, outside of niche challenging situations (heavy backlighting for the XS, night vision for the Pixel 3) phones have all hit the "good enough" stage and the usual rules of showroom TVs with what 'pops' off screen is what wins.

(Even though it got demolished in the bracket, I'm guessing this also tacitly supports Apple's choice to push smart HDR on the XS, as a more evenly exposed image is often going to look better to a lot of people than a more contrasty but darker one.)

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, I know I've asked this question in the thread before but I've been answered "wait for the hypothetical new sub-1000€ Macbook Air" and the MacBook air are a little disappointing...

There's an offer for easy payment plans and I've been looking for a Macbook, I'll use them for web browsing / watching videos / light gaming / writing.
Which one should I get ? The MacBook Pro (7th gen), the new MacBook Pro, the MacBook or the new MacBook air ?
I've heard of thermal throttling being bad in new gen, is that fixed ?
Thanks !

Cat Dad

Oct 25, 2017
iCham if by internal throttling you're referring to the newest MBP apple mitigated that issue a while ago with an update. Plus as far as I could tell it only really effected the i9 pros

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Thanks. Finder really couldn't do the trick and I tried to understand how to use rsync in Terminal with no luck. Ended up borrowing a Windows computer for a short while and it was fast and easy. Nintendo really isn't accounting for the Mac in the process they suggest. At least, not for the latest versions of macOS.
For future reference I was thinking of this rsync wrapper app, meant for backups but I think you can just do one off copies too:
http://robdutoitsoftware.com/pages/help.html

Ideally something like TeraCopy or whatever on Windows, haven't tried any of this stuff but might be worth a shot next time you need to copy stuff:
https://alternativeto.net/software/teracopy/?platform=mac

(I don't like the Finder for big multi file copies cause there's no good graceful failure, you stop the whole thing or end up having no clue what got skipped or whatever unless you nanny watch the progress)

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, I know I've asked this question in the thread before but I've been answered "wait for the hypothetical new sub-1000€ Macbook Air" and the MacBook air are a little disappointing...

There's an offer for easy payment plans and I've been looking for a Macbook, I'll use them for web browsing / watching videos / light gaming / writing.
Which one should I get ? The MacBook Pro (7th gen), the new MacBook Pro, the MacBook or the new MacBook air ?
I've heard of thermal throttling being bad in new gen, is that fixed ?
Thanks !
iCham if by internal throttling you're referring to the newest MBP apple mitigated that issue a while ago with an update. Plus as far as I could tell it only really effected the i9 pros
What Cat Dad said. To put things into perspective, with the exception of tombstone sized gaming laptops, no laptop can sustain the advertised maximum clock speed, not XPS15, not X1 Extreme. 8th gen Intel CPUs are just 6th gen with minor improvements and extra cores crammed in. They aren't very efficient.

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't see the point of the i9. In most use cases it's only going to be marginally faster than the i7 and that performance comes at a much higher premium than lower tiers... seems like it's not worth the extra money compared to better GPU or more storage.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Heads up ... amazon has the new MacBook Air for 1299 instead of 1399 and you can get 5 percent back with discover card. It's the silver 256gb

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Haha, this was a fun video:
https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/a2yos2/blackberry_beats_iphone_xs_in_mkbhds_blind_camera/

Both a useless test in how compression and host screen make smartphone comparisons hard to do, as well as a perfect test in how in the realm of just posting snapshots to social media, outside of niche challenging situations (heavy backlighting for the XS, night vision for the Pixel 3) phones have all hit the "good enough" stage and the usual rules of showroom TVs with what 'pops' off screen is what wins.

(Even though it got demolished in the bracket, I'm guessing this also tacitly supports Apple's choice to push smart HDR on the XS, as a more evenly exposed image is often going to look better to a lot of people than a more contrasty but darker one.)

Shame I don't remember what I voted for anymore (and I don't think you can check others' story histories on Instagram), cause I'm pretty sure I also kept voting for the lighter, more exposed photos. There were a couple of photos that were way too saturated, though, was surprised to find out people tended to prefer even those.

For the most part I voted with the majority, though, and was definitely surprised to see the results.

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
So I really want a pair of airpods. Is a new version coming out soon or should I just go ahead and bite? I've been reading all the rumors and crap but idk.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
So I really want a pair of airpods. Is a new version coming out soon or should I just go ahead and bite? I've been reading all the rumors and crap but idk.
Wondering the same thing. They usually have events around March, right?

Still debating it, but I think I'll just pick up a pair this week. As far as I can tell, rumors aren't pointing to a significant upgrade until 2020.

Cat Dad

Oct 25, 2017
I know people were expecting updates AirPods at both the iPhone and iPad events and seeing as they came and went with no update I don't think they're likely this year.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Probably a silly question but I haven't purchased a new laptop in years.

What is the best price I can get on a MacBook Pro outside of the Apple Store?