• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Probably a silly question but I haven't purchased a new laptop in years.

What is the best price I can get on a MacBook Pro outside of the Apple Store?

Your options for discounts on Macs are as follows:
*Refurbs from Apple. Personally the best deal on balance for me, but you're limited by stock and prebuilt configs. Can save around 15%.
*Academic and now military discounts on Apple's site. Range from around 7-10% depending on the product.
*B&H/Crutchfield/Microcenter/Adorama deals. AppleInsider.com tracks a lot of these. Again, you're limited to certain configs, but you can get an extra $100–200 off in certain circumstances, and substantially more in special situations.
*Used Mac sellers like Macsales, MacOfAllTrades, and PowerMax. The discounts aren't great (because they've got to make money too) but I've found dealing with the first two very good, and it's better than buying off Craigslist or eBay.
*Craigslist and eBay! I've only ever bought off the latter, because Craigslist is full of listing that are intentionally or unintentionally inaccurate, and I don't fancy being shanked and/or robbed. eBay is great for buying in that they will generally side with the buyer in disputes, so when I bought an iMac G4 and the guy sent it to me in a bare cardboard box, I got a refund with no fuss.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Siri once again forgot all my Shortcut phrases. I'm so sick of this shit.

E: it turns out a portion of users was affected. In light of that server issue I have also seen other people posting about the HomePod issue (where only HomePod forgets the trigger phrases). Good to know it's not on my end, I thought I was going insane.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The control center homekit widget in my iPhone got out of sync or stopped updating the icons properly. For 3 light fixtures only, when I press one icon it switches the other and so forth. Like, Light 1 shows as on. I press on it and it turns on my Light 2 instead. If I force touch Light 1 it will show Light 2 name, icon and status.

Funny thing is that it works perfectly in the home app and in all other devices. Force close home app didn't fix it and neither did restarting the phone. How odd, I've used homekit for 2-3 years and never seen this.

Did you ever resolve this? Could probably just unfavorite all those devices and refavorite them again. That will rebuild the control center widget.

Cat Dad

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a tough time getting my iPhone to sync music via iTunes. It's only certain albums I want to sync and I know they're checked in iTunes. Does music syncing to iCloud need to be turned off in order for a song that's not available in the cloud to properly sync to iPhones now?

Manalicream

Sep 12, 2018
My Folks have kindly offered to help buy me a new macbook for Xmas as I desperately need a computer for work.

I'm leaning towards the new Air, but do you think its worth me adding some of my own money to get the entry level Pro?

Mainly will be used for iWork and browsing.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
My iPhone 8's battery health/max capacity has also started going down in the last month or two. It's at 96% now. Been addicted to a certain idle game for the last few weeks which probably hasn't helped things, haha.

Hope it'll last until the next round of iPhones, late next year. Unless they offer something remarkable, I'll probably get the iPhone XS then.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
My iPhone 8's battery health/max capacity has also started going down in the last month or two. It's at 96% now. Been addicted to a certain idle game for the last few weeks which probably hasn't helped things, haha.

Hope it'll last until the next round of iPhones, late next year. Unless they offer something remarkable, I'll probably get the iPhone XS then.
Unless you drop below 80%, it'll be fine. And even then, it's not the end of the world.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Unless you drop below 80%, it'll be fine. And even then, it's not the end of the world.

Lol, I think GAMEPROFF has me on ignore. But yeah, I'm not really worried or anything. Sometimes I wonder if I'm destroying the battery by "playing" (i.e. having the screen on and the game running by itself on my desk) for hours while I'm working, charging and then discharging throughout the day, but I'm not obsessing over it or anything.

When it dies, it dies. It's the unfortunate truth we have to deal with with current battery technology, so why worry about it too much.

Oct 25, 2017
My Folks have kindly offered to help buy me a new macbook for Xmas as I desperately need a computer for work.

I'm leaning towards the new Air, but do you think its worth me adding some of my own money to get the entry level Pro?

Mainly will be used for iWork and browsing.

The entry level Pro is a better buy, I'd go with it. You get a much faster and future-proofed machine at the cost of an hour or two of battery life, in a chassis that's not any bigger or substantially heavier.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Did you ever resolve this? Could probably just unfavorite all those devices and refavorite them again. That will rebuild the control center widget.
Thanks, that's a nice tip. The issue really did persist for a while even though turning devices on and off fixed one of them. But a couple of days ago I added a new Hue light, which fixed everything.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, I think GAMEPROFF has me on ignore. But yeah, I'm not really worried or anything. Sometimes I wonder if I'm destroying the battery by "playing" (i.e. having the screen on and the game running by itself on my desk) for hours while I'm working, charging and then discharging throughout the day, but I'm not obsessing over it or anything.

When it dies, it dies. It's the unfortunate truth we have to deal with with current battery technology, so why worry about it too much.
Well, aren't modern batteries rated something along the lines of "90% capacity after 1000 charges"
so, we can kinda assume those 4% (or gameproff's 2%) are natural battery health degradation after the equivalent of 200-400 charge cycles.
If you play a lot of games, you might go through 2 cycles worth of battery drain/charge a day.
besides, those numbers are all very inaccurate, rounded / estimated anyways.

also: It's not unlikely that this is not how any of this works and i'm just making stuff up :/

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany

I dont,I am just a bit insane, I am checking the health a few times a day and the battery setting ist mostkeliey the most watched thing on my phone🙈

Fliesen I am 50 cycles at most, my phone is on the day two months old

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Yeah I'd buy from OWC over Ifixit when it comes to RAM. It's marginally cheaper too.

If I were in the market though I'd probably see about hanging on until 32GB DIMMs come down in price to go for 64GB.
Or just Crucial off Amazon or wherever for ~$250 (...which I got with eBay's coupon a few weeks ago for $225).

Curious how much 2x32GB is gonna cost whenever it becomes less rare. Only sources last I saw seemed to be Apple, OWC (if they're even shipping?), and some Samsung part list.

Oct 25, 2017
Or just Crucial off Amazon or wherever for ~$250 (...which I got with eBay's coupon a few weeks ago for $225).

Curious how much 2x32GB is gonna cost whenever it becomes less rare. Only sources last I saw seemed to be Apple, OWC (if they're even shipping?), and some Samsung part list.

Probably still going to be pretty dear (32GB (SO)DIMMs of any sort are super-costly in comparison to 16GB) but more like $800 dear instead of >$1000 :P

Crucial will forever be on my bad list because they're the only guys who have ever made bad 3rd party RAM in my personal machines (I've had OWC go back at work, but there they had some business rush thing where they'd express ship you your replacement while you sent the bad sticks back.)

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017

If you have your iPhone hooked up to power then it shouldn't be drawing any power from the battery, but I'm not positive on that.

GAMEPROFF I would probably talk to Apple, that doesn't sound normal. My iPhone X is a year old at this point and is at 99% battery. And I charge every night.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone have issues with Youtube video quality not playing at the highest quality when set to Auto on iPhone?

It seems like half or more of the videos I play on Youtube on my iPhone XS Max never actually bump up the quality of the videos after they start, even though I'm on wifi.

Never had this issue with my Android phones. It's not a huge deal or anything, but it is annoying when I'm starting to squint at a video and then realize I haven't manually set it to 1080p or higher.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone have issues with Youtube video quality not playing at the highest quality when set to Auto on iPhone?

It seems like half or more of the videos I play on Youtube on my iPhone XS Max never actually bump up the quality of the videos after they start, even though I'm on wifi.

Never had this issue with my Android phones. It's not a huge deal or anything, but it is annoying when I'm starting to squint at a video and then realize I haven't manually set it to 1080p or higher.

Yes, on my iPhone and sometimes even my iPad. Drives me up a wall

ara

Oct 26, 2017
If you have your iPhone hooked up to power then it shouldn't be drawing any power from the battery, but I'm not positive on that.

Really? That'd be amazing, cause then I could play to my heart's content and as long as it was plugged in, the battery life wouldn't take an extra hard hit because of it. Can anyone else comment on this?

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Really? That'd be amazing, cause then I could play to my heart's content and as long as it was plugged in, the battery life wouldn't take an extra hard hit because of it. Can anyone else comment on this?
When it burns more then it gets, the battery still loses power.
Big hits can still happen, when your battery is so broken that it makes these giant 10-30% jumps but I think its more or less the same issues, the batterys losing more then it can recharge.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ugh, great. I was hoping it was a setting or something I had just missed.

My guess is it's the XS Max's new resolution and the YouTube app still hasn't been 100% updates for it or something.

Hm... possibly. I've noticed it doing it quite a lot on my new iPad Pro, I'll see if that changes when (if) they ever update it for the new ones

Manalicream

Sep 12, 2018
Picking up a 13" non touchbar Pro on Monday. Want to get a dongle for ports but don't want to spend a lot. What's the best cheap option? Should I go flush or with a cable?

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Ugh, great. I was hoping it was a setting or something I had just missed.

My guess is it's the XS Max's new resolution and the YouTube app still hasn't been 100% updates for it or something.
That doesn't explain why I have the same issue on the XR, iPad Pro and OnePlus 6 tho. In other words, it's on Google's end.

Manalicream

Sep 12, 2018
What are your use cases? What ports do you need?

If you're price conscious, a USB-C hub versus Thunderbolt 3 hub will be cheaper but generally have fewer ports or capabilities.

Most use will be usb a external hard drive but would be nice to have hdmi too. Anything you'd recommend? I can find some for under 20 bucks on ebay just don't know if any good

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Probably not the best place to ask, but...

Stardew Valley is no longer available on UK App Store. Anyone know what's going on?

Ignore this, btw - it's back.

Last edited:

Mike D

Nov 2, 2017
Are there any other good pixel art apps like Sprite Something? (That one still hasn't been updated for X/XS.)

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Experiment was a success, activated the eSIM on my XS with my primary number (AT&T) and the physical SIM slot is empty. Went very smoothly, I have to say

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

AT&T and Verizon now have QR code eSIM activation cards (or Apple Stores, but they can't activate them yet, they just hand them out for free). Basically your XS/XR has two different IMEIs in it, one for the physical SIM slot and one for the eSIM. So you grab one of the eSIM activation cards, call up your carrier, add your primary number to it (or a different number if you want to dual-SIM it), go to Settings->Cellular and tap "add cellular plan," scan the QR code, and it activates. Super quick and easy. Just make sure you're on Wi-Fi and you've removed the physical SIM before scanning the QR code, it makes things easier.

T-Mobile coming in the next couple weeks.

Sprint I assume is just twiddling their thumbs until they get bought by T-Mobile.

Last edited:

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Siri still doesn't remember my Shortcuts (: Great experience!
(And no, I'm not gonna re-record all of them for a third time)

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Very weird, not only does it record them for me, it makes them available across all my devices. I have no idea why you're not getting the same results.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Siri still doesn't remember my Shortcuts (: Great experience!
(And no, I'm not gonna re-record all of them for a third time)
Very weird, not only does it record them for me, it makes them available across all my devices. I have no idea why you're not getting the same results.

I feel like a recent update fucked Siri shortcuts up big time. I no longer get suggestions in the search screen, and in settings all of the shortcuts I've registered for voice with Siri are listed but they won't trigger at all. I'll say the exact phrase, it'll even spell or capitalize it the right way, but it'll do anything other than the actual shortcut.

Smylie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oregon
What's a good but affordable wireless charger I can use for my wife's new XS Max? She's been using my s9 Plus's charger, and it seems to work OK, but I want to get her one of her own.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like iPhone XS is getting "discounted" too
https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/a4i5uh/apple_is_now_discounting_the_iphone_xs_as_well/

What's a good but affordable wireless charger I can use for my wife's new XS Max? She's been using my s9 Plus's charger, and it seems to work OK, but I want to get her one of her own.
I just got this for my girlfriend, seems good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GN9B3BV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Apple's had the trade-in program for Xr, Xs, and Xs Max going (both on their own and with their partners) since early last month, just as they have every year since at least the 6 or 6s. Advertising it on the front page of Apple.com is all that's new (and perhaps an adjustment to some trade values).

Also, I hate how the majority of those stands require using your own watch charging cable. Super lame.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think it's because the watch uses proprietary Qi charging it's not a normal charger.
Apparently, ever since the Series 3, there's certain (very few) Qi chargers that _do_ charge the watch fine.

But charging your AppleWatch on any ol' charging mat might come with the added difficulty of most watch bands (any of those 'loop style' bands, really) not allowing the watch to lay flat on a surface - which is why most of them have this 'levitating' or 'sideways' design.