• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Correct, and Apple does license MFi Apple Watch charging solutions, but I imagine they're expensive. Far cheaper just to tell you to use your own cable.

Not only expensive, but it's an extremely time-consuming and painful process to get MFi certified. Which isn't always what you want when you're trying to beat competition to the market in a space full of cheap Chinese knock-offs.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Correct, and Apple does license MFi Apple Watch charging solutions, but I imagine they're expensive. Far cheaper just to tell you to use your own cable.
yeah, no clue why they broke the charging standard but it's seemingly not a pro consumer move for this very specific example here

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Because the standard can't do everything they want it to, pretty simple.

What - other than charging - does the AppleWatch charger do, though? - like, i don't know whether it does any proprietary "fast charging" thing.
Like, the whole AirPower thing of "Show the watch's charging level on the iPhone" can easily happen wirelessly (if that wasn't already the case)

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
What - other than charging - does the AppleWatch charger do, though? - like, i don't know whether it does any proprietary "fast charging" thing.
Like, the whole AirPower thing of "Show the watch's charging level on the iPhone" can easily happen wirelessly (if that wasn't already the case)
I think that's precisely what everybody is wondering lol. AirPower is such an over-engineered product (unless any future, unrevealed devices will make more use of it).

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I think that's precisely what everybody is wondering lol. AirPower is such an over-engineered product (unless any future, unrevealed devices will make more use of it).
i believe the "magic" of AirPower was supposed to be the fact that you can put any of your wireless chargable devices on there, no matter what spot or what orientation and it would charge. Which seems to be an engineering issue with the charger (overlapping coils etc.) rather the chargee.

And iPhones are Qi compatible and were supposed to be compatible with AirPower. So iPhones are clearly able to use both, the proprietary features of AirPower - if its ever released - and regular old Qi charging.
So why can't the Watch? :/

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i believe the "magic" of AirPower was supposed to be the fact that you can put any of your wireless chargable devices on there, no matter what spot or what orientation and it would charge. Which seems to be an engineering issue with the charger (overlapping coils etc.) rather the chargee.

And iPhones are Qi compatible and were supposed to be compatible with AirPower. So iPhones are clearly able to use both, the proprietary features of AirPower - if its ever released - and regular old Qi charging.
So why can't the Watch? :/
Exactly. And as far as the airpower, it feels like them trying to use the Qi charging standard for something it was never meant for.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Apple Watch's back has a lot more going on than an iPhone's. The charging coil in an Apple Watch is hardly regular. That's why compatibility with Qi announced with Series 3 is mostly tentative.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
The Apple Watch's back has a lot more going on than an iPhone's. The charging coil in an Apple Watch is hardly regular. That's why compatibility with Qi announced with Series 3 is mostly tentative.
Doesn't the Watch charger also charge other smart watches like the old Moto 360? And reversely some (very few) Qi chargers do actually charge the Watch.
From reading online, it's simply a software change that causes it to be incompatible and nothing to do with hardware.

Who knows though. Seems really dumb.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Samsung literally lacks the courage to make its flagship phone the first ones in their line up to drop the jack

Oct 25, 2017
In theory USB-C would certainly be a better option for future-forward wired audio, but given how much of a mess Android OEMs have made of it definitely feels like just another part of the mess that is USB at this point. Kind of funny Samsung can't even wait a calendar year of pulling the "Sheeple!" card before it dumps it, but Samsung has never really been a company that feels shame.

(Still dumb Apple didn't include either a headphone jack and/or another USB-C port on its iPad Pro though. They clearly think a prosumer product needs three ports for its Mac, so it's weird they're treating the iPad like a handheld device in some respects while they're pivoting everything else to more professional and prosumer use cases.)

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I need to send in my MacBook Pro 217 13" TB to repair the keyboard... Is there any slowdown by doing a time machine via a external hdd using the usb-c hub?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
In theory USB-C would certainly be a better option for future-forward wired audio, but given how much of a mess Android OEMs have made of it definitely feels like just another part of the mess that is USB at this point. Kind of funny Samsung can't even wait a calendar year of pulling the "Sheeple!" card before it dumps it, but Samsung has never really been a company that feels shame.

(Still dumb Apple didn't include either a headphone jack and/or another USB-C port on its iPad Pro though. They clearly think a prosumer product needs three ports for its Mac, so it's weird they're treating the iPad like a handheld device in some respects while they're pivoting everything else to more professional and prosumer use cases.)

To be fair, the iPad Pro's have way superior battery life even to the most efficient macbooks, so i'm quite sure "charge while using" is something they do consider a necessity on their Laptops, and not on their iPads.
Similary, macOS integration with AirPods / W1 connecting ear/headphones is decent, but far less seamless than its integration to iOS.
So i see why they would believe the iPad would require only one port for connectivity, charging and wired audio - because you barely need one of these functionalites, let alone multiple at the same time.

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know where I can buy some of the tiny rubber feet for a Magic Trackpad 2? All the ones I see online are designed for the original Magic Trackpad.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I just picked up a 2018 iPad (standard). I was rocking an iPad 3 for like the last 7yrs. It's like night and day- the iPad 3 was so slow it's pretty much unusable. I can't believe I paid $500 for that.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Rip Connect, maybe they'll finally give us a proper release section for followed artists instead

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know where I can buy some of the tiny rubber feet for a Magic Trackpad 2? All the ones I see online are designed for the original Magic Trackpad.
3ea5d295-fc42-4a50-8e72-b4e9f9ddaf95.JPG

DIY store, like ... 2 bucks for the whole bunch? shouldn't they do fine?

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Hey, guys, I'm jumping into Apple pretty feet first

Got iPhone X, Apple series 3 for wife and I, used Apple air 2 iPad since it's launch and an Air before that.

I need to get AirPods. Should I wait for new ones? We would use them today if we had them but I feel like nobody will be selling there's used until the new ones come but Rucker me the lowest sale I see was 200 all in up here in canada, unless a canadian around here knows any good places

Apple 4ktv. I hummed and hawed a long time on this but the little bit of Apple connectivity type shit does feel enough to warrant me getting one. I'll be waiting on a sale. Should have grabbed one Black Friday.

Mac. I don't know how to get into this bc technically I should just be getting the cheapest one here that would work for my family, and than upgrading when it makes sense. I see the new Mac mini is out but idk if they price them competitively or if would just be so much cheaper to settle for an old MacBook Air

I have been diving in hard trying to master the OS, and take advantage and learn of apples strengths, but I still have a lot to do like tweaking my watch face complications, and learning to use the 3D Touch better. I love Apple so far and hope someday to get a series 4 watch and that new iPad Pro maybe used next year idk

Apples tech and OS is so appealing to me today and I wish I was in years ago.

So yeah, any good advice when s9meine asks how to get into Mac, when I will be joining the whole ecosystem? My family all has Apple, is there a way to make the family limit bigger?

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, guys, I'm jumping into Apple pretty feet first

Got iPhone X, Apple series 3 for wife and I, used Apple air 2 iPad since it's launch and an Air before that.

I need to get AirPods. Should I wait for new ones? We would use them today if we had them but I feel like nobody will be selling there's used until the new ones come but Rucker me the lowest sale I see was 200 all in up here in canada, unless a canadian around here knows any good places

Apple 4ktv. I hummed and hawed a long time on this but the little bit of Apple connectivity type shit does feel enough to warrant me getting one. I'll be waiting on a sale. Should have grabbed one Black Friday.

Mac. I don't know how to get into this bc technically I should just be getting the cheapest one here that would work for my family, and than upgrading when it makes sense. I see the new Mac mini is out but idk if they price them competitively or if would just be so much cheaper to settle for an old MacBook Air

I have been diving in hard trying to master the OS, and take advantage and learn of apples strengths, but I still have a lot to do like tweaking my watch face complications, and learning to use the 3D Touch better. I love Apple so far and hope someday to get a series 4 watch and that new iPad Pro maybe used next year idk

Apples tech and OS is so appealing to me today and I wish I was in years ago.

So yeah, any good advice when s9meine asks how to get into Mac, when I will be joining the whole ecosystem? My family all has Apple, is there a way to make the family limit bigger?

What are you planning on doing with your Mac? That would be the biggest question that would guide which product is best for you. Depending on what peripherals you have lying around a Mac mini is theoretically the cheapest Mac but you could get a more capable iMac with a screen for not too much more. Or if you're constantly using the machine elsewhere a laptop would make more sense.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Apple should really release an AirPlay dongle. I want to turn my parents stereo into an AirPlay receiver but my only choice seems to be to build a Raspberry Pi solution (yeah, nah) or buy 2012 hardware that's not supported anymore (and still prohibitively expensive)

Oct 25, 2017
Apple should really release an AirPlay dongle. I want to turn my parents stereo into an AirPlay receiver but my only choice seems to be to build a Raspberry Pi solution (yeah, nah) or buy 2012 hardware that's not supported anymore (and still prohibitively expensive)

The Airport Express is still supported (they updated it to Airplay 2) they just aren't making them any more.

Possibly the rumored AppleTV stick they're talking about could work as an Airplay receiver but likely that'd just be an A/V thing, not an option for audio with a line-in jack.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Apple's interested in making a "chromecast audio" style dongle.
Why make a device that looks silly while those making the high-end speakers make the actual profits.

It's much easier to just license AirPlay to Sonos et. al.

Vuze - Can't you just use a bluetooth->Aux dongle?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I think AirPlay would be a better solution for them since the target would be always available and streams independent of their location.

I guess I'll just have to snipe a Airport Express on eBay.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
There's a bunch of third party AirPlay things for like $20, might be worth a shot. There's a lot of reviews and YouTube reviews and stuff showing them working, but I'm paranoid about them just being broken one day with some random update.

Otherwise Apple TV with optical analog adapter should work in theory (or direct if the stereo has optical input).

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
What are you planning on doing with your Mac? That would be the biggest question that would guide which product is best for you. Depending on what peripherals you have lying around a Mac mini is theoretically the cheapest Mac but you could get a more capable iMac with a screen for not too much more. Or if you're constantly using the machine elsewhere a laptop would make more sense.

I want the Mac operating system. I want to have a nice monitor to use for my productive and creative side. I want it stationary at a desk and just use an iPad Pro or an iPhone to do in other places. I want a home (pc) but 8ndont care for the pc bullshit at all.

This will basically be my son, daughter and wife's first computer, with the kids being 5 and 3

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I have an old 6 with a crap battery. Do you guys think I could still get it booked in to get it replaced at that discount? Do I have time? Do you just call an Apple store up?

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have an old 6 with a crap battery. Do you guys think I could still get it booked in to get it replaced at that discount? Do I have time? Do you just call an Apple store up?

If you plan on keeping the phone, absolutely. You have until December 31. Definitely recommend making an appointment at a store either online or over the phone

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Ok im going to get it booked.

What is the threshold battery health that people takes phones in with to b worth the replacement cost this low? I have 2 1 year old X at like 94% that's even maybe worth it to me to refresh? Am I nuts?

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
I was just at a store yesterday for my parents' 6s (uh as in iPhone 6 x2, not not iPhone 6s...). Got my dad's battery swapped, and they replaced my mom's phone completely cause the battery was swelling with the screen popped off the chassis. (Course that one had a loose screen from the beginning but I didn't mention that)
Ok im going to get it booked.

What is the threshold battery health that people takes phones in with to b worth the replacement cost this low? I have 2 1 year old X at like 94% that's even maybe worth it to me to refresh? Am I nuts?
Only if it's showing signs of being jacked up. Like my SE was still showing 98% but it was pretty obvious it was messed up, and the drain graphs/data in iOS 12 made it quantifiable (vs just a guess), like there were big nosedives or continuous rapid drain with little to no usage.

If you don't have any issues then you can still ask for it but wouldn't expect much of a difference, it'd be more for piece of mind down the line that you have a year newer battery.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
How do you prevent losing all your open tabs in safari? It doesn't happen a lot but it doesn't happen sometimes. If I live with safari open and a lot of tabs open with things that I am planning to get to later. Then for example if I update some software and it forces a restart of my computer, if at the end the software update forces open a specific page relating to the software at the end of the update then that page opens and all my other tabs in safari that were open before are now gone. There are other situations where all your safari open tabs just won't reopen also. Anyone else know how to prevent this from happening? Thanks!

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I've been trying to get better at managing my open tabs so unless it's sonething I'm going to read the next couple hours I add them to my reading list. Than when I get time I either read and delete or add to a bookmark folder.

My next step is building a solid favourites bar and I just noticed you can add favourite folders to the bar or something. Sweet

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
How do you prevent losing all your open tabs in safari? It doesn't happen a lot but it doesn't happen sometimes. If I live with safari open and a lot of tabs open with things that I am planning to get to later. Then for example if I update some software and it forces a restart of my computer, if at the end the software update forces open a specific page relating to the software at the end of the update then that page opens and all my other tabs in safari that were open before are now gone. There are other situations where all your safari open tabs just won't reopen also. Anyone else know how to prevent this from happening? Thanks!
History > Reopen All Windows from Last Session

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
If you want a homepod for music I've read nothing but good things about that.

Apple seems very focused on making sure there sound department is killing it right now.

Apple music is on Alexa as well now.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
And there's a setting for this in preferences to do it on launch iirc.

My default safari is to reopen all windows from the last session.

History > Reopen All Windows from Last Session

I feel like this doesn't always work.

Like if I update adobe flash and safari is closed and it force opens safari after flash is updated and opens to the adobe page then the last session of tabs gets forgotten and I can't reopen all my old tabs.