• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's how the Echo works. It's listening for "Alexa". And it's not recording all the time. lol Do you know how impractical that would be?
"Damnit why is the Alexa eating up so much network? Are they really recording processing and uploading everything I say in real time????"

Lol

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Siri doesn't listen until you say "Hey Siri". Alexa is always listening unless you press the no mic button.
So if it's not listening, how does it know you are going to say "hey Siri"?

Everything is always listening, and we will never know who is storing what information.

Apple may not store everything, but it sure as hell does it's "anonymous" tracking regardless. Once third party apps come to homepod, who knows what is going to get collected. That will be a fun day, bet Zuckerberg can't wait for that moment to come.

Oct 25, 2017
I got a HomePod two weeks ago from BestBuy for $250. It's my first Apple speaker since my iPod HiFi. Honestly what I want is for the HomePod to access Amazon music through Siri. Yes I know it's never gonna happen but I can still want things. I have a "free" amazon music subscription from Prime and it's all I need.

Apple made the iPhone XR

The XR is what iPhones cost until the release of the X. I don't really get why everyone has suddenly shifted to the iPhone XS being the flagship phone rather than a premium product.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Everything is always listening, and we will never know who is storing what information.

Apple may not store everything, but it sure as hell does it's "anonymous" tracking regardless. Once third party apps come to homepod, who knows what is going to get collected. That will be a fun day, bet Zuckerberg can't wait for that moment to come.
Hell we know what Apple does with Siri data as of 2013. I'm sure it's only gotten more vast as they've started taking the AI wars seriously.

https://www.wired.com/2013/04/siri-two-years/

Here's what happens. Whenever you speak into Apple's voice activated personal digital assistant, it ships it off to Apple's data farm for analysis. Apple generates a random numbers to represent the user and it associates the voice files with that number. This number – not your Apple user ID or email address – represents you as far as Siri's back-end voice analysis system is concerned.

Once the voice recording is six months old, Apple "disassociates" your user number from the clip, deleting the number from the voice file. But it keeps these disassociated files for up to 18 more months for testing and product improvement purposes.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
The XR is what iPhones cost until the release of the X. I don't really get why everyone has suddenly shifted to the iPhone XS being the flagship phone rather than a premium product.
Because it is, it is the successor to the X, which succeeded the 8. Nobody suddenly moved anywhere.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
The X and 8 released at the same time. The XR is the successor to the 8, the XS to the X.

You are correct, I should have said the X replaced the 7, with the 8 being the old tech budget option. So yes, you are correct that the XR Succeeded the 8 in that sense, my bad.

You are still incorrect about the XS not being the flagship Apple phone though.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017

What would even be the point of dedicated apps on a speaker? I doubt there's gonna be anything that doesn't go through SiriKit simply because there's no benefit to it (other than third party devs creeping on you).

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
What would even be the point of dedicated apps on a speaker? I doubt there's gonna be anything that doesn't go through SiriKit simply because there's no benefit to it (other than third party devs creeping on you).
If not dedicated apps, then some kind of halfway shortcut like implementation.

At the very least they need something to make Siri smarter so that it's on par with the competition. Hell, it's backwards enough that you can play Apple Music on an Echo but can't do third party music on Homepod right now.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Folks want an amazon echo

But i cant figure out how to stream radio through it with iphone or ipad

Is there really no way to listen to the music on the radio in cars...for free on an iphone? Looking through all the apps and options is so frustrating and confusing

I just want to listen to the radio on a echo speaker

dem

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I gotta say... I was expecting the notch or the Face ID to bug me a bit going to the X series. Face ID is great.. and the notch is a non issue IMO.

What does annoy me a bit is the blue color shift on the OLED.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for advice in this thread a month or so back on Apple Watches. Went for the Nike version as advised and loving it after a few days, strap is great - and I didn't care at the time but I actually really love the Nike watch faces.

Controlling my music from the shower is a game changer.

I'm a little annoyed I haven't had a chance to run with it yet, just because I am recovering from a foot injury that is really annoying me. Think I might chance a run in the next few days, nearly recovered I think.

Other than that - any tips/advice that a new user might have missed?

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for advice in this thread a month or so back on Apple Watches. Went for the Nike version as advised and loving it after a few days, strap is great - and I didn't care at the time but I actually really love the Nike watch faces.

Controlling my music from the shower is a game changer.

I'm a little annoyed I haven't had a chance to run with it yet, just because I am recovering from a foot injury that is really annoying me. Think I might chance a run in the next few days, nearly recovered I think.

Other than that - any tips/advice that a new user might have missed?
The find my phone thing is pretty nifty. And it has some pulse to remove water/sweat when it gets wet

Book One

Oct 25, 2017

Is there really no way to listen to the music on the radio in cars...for free on an iphone? Looking through all the apps and options is so frustrating and confusing

Most radio stations are owned by the same few companies. Maybe see if they have apps.

Main radio apps I know of are iheartradio and tunein

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK

You don't need any other devices to listen to radio stations on an Echo. Just install the TuneIn skill from the Alexa store.

JonCha

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Me and my brother have been talking about getting the Watch as we're sick of having to rely on our phones to be notified of texts. Does this transfer to reality for those who own one?

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I would also be interested in hearing more Watch impressions, particularly from people who weren't sure they'd really need one but decided to get it anyway.

I've more or less decided I'm going to stick with iPhones for now and will most likely get an XS next year when the new phones drop and older ones' prices go down a bit, so I've been thinking that maybe I should give the Watch a try. It's hard to say how much I'd need or use it since I've never owned a smart watch, but I know for certain that being able to control Spotify and check notifications without taking my phone out of my pocket is going to be great.

Although, I have heard the Spotify app sucks, which unfortunately isn't surprising in the least since their apps and clients have always been somewhat subpar. Just hope it isn't complete garbage.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
On the Watch - i've only had it for 3/4 days now, so maybe not the most rounded impression. For background, I had zero interest in the Watch until earlier this year - I was actually actively dismissive of it (saw it as unnecessary, not very useful etc...).

Really loving it, just very practical. I only really bought into the idea because I was sold on the running uses for the watch, I think it will really help my exercise and running - but all the little useful things that it does have really made it shine for me. Quickly glancing at texts/notifications is actually quite neat when on the move, other little things like being able to control your music (e.g. in the shower), I also really love the look of my Nike+ version and the faces as well.

Would recommend, but maybe I should come back in a month with more reflections.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
On the Watch - i've only had it for 3/4 days now, so maybe not the most rounded impression. For background, I had zero interest in the Watch until earlier this year - I was actually actively dismissive of it (saw it as unnecessary, not very useful etc...).

Yeah, it sounds like you were in the exact same place I was just a while ago - not only uninterested but, like you said, actively dismissive.

I'd love to hear more in a few weeks when you've had it for a while, whether these positive feelings were mostly due to the honeymoon phase and so on.

My birthday is on January 23rd, would be a good excuse to treat myself and get the Watch, haha.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it sounds like you were in the exact same place I was just a while ago - not only uninterested but, like you said, actively dismissive.

I'd love to hear more in a few weeks when you've had it for a while, whether these positive feelings were mostly due to the honeymoon phase and so on.

My birthday is on January 23rd, would be a good excuse to treat myself and get the Watch, haha.

Yep, thought they were ridiculous to be honest until I saw a few more people using them and I think the new Series 4 ones do look nice. Something just turned me in the last few months to wanting one.

I'll probably post in here in the coming weeks, but if not quote me and remind me, or PM.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Me and my brother have been talking about getting the Watch as we're sick of having to rely on our phones to be notified of texts. Does this transfer to reality for those who own one?
100%

Notification management is key however. I'm super happy with my setup though. Dear ones get pushed to the wrist, rest is placed on lockscreen for when I pick up my phone. Same goes for mail stuff and other apps.

I love it, phone and Watch are muted 24/7 and I only ever get a tap on the wrist when I know it likely requires my attention.

As for other impressions: I use it to sync my work schedule via iCal sub to the Siri watchface which also merges my Things 3 to do and reminders in one chronological stream alongside weather forecast, AirPods + Watch for Podcasts and Music is *magic*, time tracking, activity tracking... remote camera controls also came in handy recently. It's very useful albeit I think it's still too expensive especially the stainless steel models.

JonCha

Oct 29, 2017
UK
100%

Notification management is key however. I'm super happy with my setup though. Dear ones get pushed to the wrist, rest is placed on lockscreen for when I pick up my phone. Same goes for mail stuff and other apps.

I love it, phone and Watch are muted 24/7 and I only ever get a tap on the wrist when I know it likely requires my attention.

As for other impressions: I use it to sync my work schedule via iCal sub to the Siri watchface which also merges my Things 3 to do and reminders in one chronological stream alongside weather forecast, AirPods + Watch for Podcasts and Music is *magic*, time tracking, activity tracking... remote camera controls also came in handy recently. It's very useful albeit I think it's still too expensive especially the stainless steel models.

Regarding the models I'd be going for the base model, that's more than good enough for me.

Is notification management for messages done within the Watch app? I actually use WhatsApp mostly (I know there's not an app but apparently notifications still come through and you reply to them? Same with Signal). That sounds really cool actually.

I didn't know there's a Siri watch face, what's that like?

OG Kush

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey all, need some advice. Have a mid-2012 15" macbook pro. It's slowing down a lot and think its time to upgrade its HDD to SSD. It currently has 8gb of ram, is it worth it to upgrade to 12 or 16gb, or will the SSD upgrade/fresh install be enough? I just use for internet browsing, watching movies, music, casual photoshop and ableton use. But I will be doing some web development soon too.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey all, need some advice. Have a mid-2012 15" macbook pro. It's slowing down a lot and think its time to upgrade its HDD to SSD. It currently has 8gb of ram, is it worth it to upgrade to 12 or 16gb, or will the SSD upgrade/fresh install be enough? I just use for internet browsing, watching movies, music, casual photoshop and ableton use. But I will be doing some web development soon too.

You should see some benefits from the 16GB, but the SSD is absolutely the bigger performance boost.

Digital Snake

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone, I received a iTunes Gift Card instead of an Apple Music subscription this year. I've saw a few people say that if you redeem it and when your Apple Music goes to renew it will use that balance first. Is this true? Nervous to redeem it before I know for sure.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone, I received a iTunes Gift Card instead of an Apple Music subscription this year. I've saw a few people say that if you redeem it and when your Apple Music goes to renew it will use that balance first. Is this true? Nervous to redeem it before I know for sure.
That's how I'm paying my iCloud and Music sub, so yep.

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does Apple sell longer watch bands?
I got my dad a 38mm series 3 for Christmas but the included band is a little small.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Does Apple sell longer watch bands?
I got my dad a 38mm series 3 for Christmas but the included band is a little small.
I know there is an XL version for the black 42mm Sport band but I think that's the only one they sell in that size and only for 42mm. Perhaps the 42mm watch in general might be a better fit if the 38mm band is too short?

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Any benefit of getting a HomePod vs. competing speakers if I'll probably never talk to Siri on it? For a one bedroom apartment.

Jadusable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I just upgraded from a iPhone 6S to an XR and it's insane of the upgrade of it all. The battery life alone is astounding. I guess that's what happens when you wait four generations. I'm really going to miss the aux port though.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Any benefit of getting a HomePod vs. competing speakers if I'll probably never talk to Siri on it? For a one bedroom apartment.
If you're not even using Siri you're probably better off with something else that works with more platforms and doesn't get obsolete as soon as AirPlay 2 stop being supported.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My new project is to finish smart home-ifying my apartment. Four light switches, one thermostat.

Also I got a Sonos One from my folks for Christmas, plopped that thing in the bathroom, added it to the home app, it's perfect. Now I've got the HomePod in my room, a denon receiver in the living room, and the Sonos in the bathroom, all with AirPlay 2.

I love this.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I just upgraded from a iPhone 6S to an XR and it's insane of the upgrade of it all. The battery life alone is astounding. I guess that's what happens when you wait four generations. I'm really going to miss the aux port though.

Yeah I'll muddle through with an adapter fine but as a guy who is definitely running the old ways the loss of the jack will be an annoyance.

I'm upgrading from a 6 so hopefully the difference is even greater for me.

Deleted member 20471

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really miss having a tablet (the one I had died a few months ago) but I think that buying an ipad 2018 today wouldn't be a smart move. Any rumors about how much of an upgrade will be the ipad 2019?

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I really miss having a tablet (the one I had died a few months ago) but I think that buying an ipad 2018 today wouldn't be a smart move. Any rumors about how much of an upgrade will be the ipad 2019?

Right now the reports suggest that the next mainstream iPad could basically be the 10.5", in that it would have slimmed sides and A11. But what's not clear is if they will switch to Pencil 2, which would require a chassis redesign. Tradition would suggest middle 2019 but Apple isn't afraid of delaying things either.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Geez, safari wants to open RSS feeds in the News app but that thing still hasn't launched here in Germany so that's a dead end dialogue nobody at Apple thought about. Didn't even know the app had a RSS feed feature, now I really kinda want it :(

Deleted member 20471

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Right now the reports suggest that the next mainstream iPad could basically be the 10.5", in that it would have slimmed sides and A11. But what's not clear is if they will switch to Pencil 2, which would require a chassis redesign. Tradition would suggest middle 2019 but Apple isn't afraid of delaying things either.
Thank you for the reply mate, cheers.

blast0rama

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore, Maryland
I've added a HomePod to my setup thanks to the Best Buy deal (knocking $100 off).

It really does sound great.

Now, to update the damn thing so I can get these Overcast Siri Shortcuts working...

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So! Someone in the Overcast beta slack mentioned that they were able to fix all the issues with the Watch version just by setting to toggle to "download" episodes instead of "stream". Lo and behold, they were correct. Doing that one thing made the watch app perfectly functional where it wasn't at all before, even for shit like playing and pausing.

Of course then it tired to download dozens of gigabytes of podcasts, causing the app to become unstable because why wouldn't it. I figured having that functional Watch app was worth the hit to my free space so I set about deleting the 90GB of Apple Music I had downloaded because it was easy to stream instead, both of those happening at the same time caused my 256GB phone to hit zero KB available. I reboot, and long story short my phone doesn't go past the Apple logo at all.

gg, me

Oct 25, 2017
So! Someone in the Overcast beta slack mentioned that they were able to fix all the issues with the Watch version just by setting to toggle to "download" episodes instead of "stream". Lo and behold, they were correct. Doing that one thing made the watch app perfectly functional where it wasn't at all before, even for shit like playing and pausing.

Of course then it tired to download dozens of gigabytes of podcasts, causing the app to become unstable because why wouldn't it. I figured having that functional Watch app was worth the hit to my free space so I set about deleting the 90GB of Apple Music I had downloaded because it was easy to stream instead, both of those happening at the same time caused my 256GB phone to hit zero KB available. I reboot, and long story short my phone doesn't go past the Apple logo at all.

gg, me
Restore from backup?

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Restore from backup?

Would definitely be an option. While it's easy, it is annoying.

I put it into recovery mode and attempted an update before being forced to do a restore, and it failed. Switch USB ports and cables and tried again and it worked, my phone is back to normal (only now without any podcasts or songs).

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Let's say I have a folder of pics on iCloud.

How do I send those pics to someone on hotmail. I have hotmail/outlook as well as iCloud email.

I can only see how to do 1 pic at a time in hotmail and can't even see how to add a pic in iOS email client.

Forcing myself to learn this stuff. Help

diditstart

Dec 3, 2017
Los Angeles
Let's say I have a folder of pics on iCloud.

How do I send those pics to someone on hotmail. I have hotmail/outlook as well as iCloud email.

I can only see how to do 1 pic at a time in hotmail and can't even see how to add a pic in iOS email client.

Forcing myself to learn this stuff. Help

I'm assuming you have the photos in a folder on iCloud. Select the files via the Files app on iOS and then use the share sheet to select the email client you want to use.