• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I'm assuming you have the photos in a folder on iCloud. Select the files via the Files app on iOS and then use the share sheet to select the email client you want to use.

Ok I will certainly try to figure that out but those are like 2 things i haven't messed with yet so I will have to do some looking around tommorw. Thanks for the tip.

Oct 25, 2017
In vintage Apple news, for Christmas I upgraded my dad's old 2011 iMac with an SSD and more RAM. Never done iMac surgery before so it was a bit nerve-wracking, but it all worked out (save for a single screw that the magnets chucked behind the display when I was nearly done, but I said screw it at that point and just went on with my life.)

Now I have to decide if it's worth it to move from El Cap to High Sierra or whether the performance hit on unsupported Macs doesn't make it ideal.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Ok I put photos on to iCloud than shared them from files to outlook.

It says 25mb sending cap. Is that normal? Any way to fix that?

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I put photos on to iCloud than shared them from files to outlook.

It says 25mb sending cap. Is that normal? Any way to fix that?

How big a file are you talking about here?

Even if you raise your sending limit, there's a good chance whoever you are sending to might not be able to receive it. 20-25mb is often a limit for a lot of different email services/programs.

Your better bet is to make a folder in a cloud service shareable, and send the person the link that is generated.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
ok. Well I'll just set them up with an iOS device like an old phone instead maybe that I can share everything no problem than.

As far as setting up a cloud service. Is there something people recommend to use on iOS decides to share with no ios

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
ok. Well I'll just set them up with an iOS device like an old phone instead maybe that I can share everything no problem than.

As far as setting up a cloud service. Is there something people recommend to use on iOS decides to share with no ios

Any of them work fine. iCloud Drive has a share function built in (select a file, there's an option to add people in the share sheet), OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox....they all have native apps. They'll all send a link all the same.

You can use whichever you want, they'll all have the ability to backup photos on your phone even while iCloud is also doing it.

Edit: also, seeing your earlier post: for future reference, to add a picture to the body of an email in the native app, tap anywhere in the body, then hit the little arrow in the pop up that appears. You'll see an 'insert photo' option.

Last edited:

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone else upgraded from a series 3 to a series 4 Apple Watch?

I'm debating trading my watch into the Apple store and upgrading to the cellular version of the watch (currently have a GPS only series 3). The screen size, lighter weight, and cellular keep tempting me, I'm curious if anyone else was in this boat.

Will I love it or regret it?

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018

I'm debating trading my watch into the Apple store and upgrading to the cellular version of the watch (currently have a GPS only series 3). The screen size, lighter weight, and cellular keep tempting me, I'm curious if anyone else was in this boat.

I did quite a bit of research into this as I just bought two series 3 for me and wife, as part of our entry into Apple.

Ok, so if YouTube reviewers are to be believed the 4 is a big step up from the 3. I will let u look up the differences, but when it ouch one is store it's hard to see difference, but it does have some big benefits ins screen size and thinness etc.

Personally I didn't think it was worth the heavier cost a new Apple product comes with and will happily upgrade when I find one used cheap. I can see the watch being the device making big leaps each year tbh because it honestly has been a game changer for me

I own a series 3 cellular steel, and The only reason I'm go8ng to add cellular is so I don't have to worry about having a phone on me for walks, just watch and air pods, but I heard cellular kills the battery hard and is not a very highly thought of feature

I will say they do say the screen space makes the watch have the readability you want but let's be honest it was always be improving in that regard or upgrades would be a failure for the watch, it's all about making you get the info as fast as possible

Last edited:

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

I came from a Series 0 to a 3, so the situation isn't quite yours.

The Series 4 dramatically increased performance, though performance on the Series 3 is fine.
The Series 4 had way better battery life than my 3 year old watch, but battery life on a 1 year old Series 3 is great as well.
The new watch faces are still missing certain complications that even the older ones had.

Even with super snappy performance, i don't use a single third party app - in the end, it's still an Apple Watch :/

So, personally, i don't think i'd recommend upgrading from a 3 to a 4. I couldn't think of meaningful differences in everyday use.

I can't make a judgement on the LTE features. I have a Series 4 and i still bring my phone when i go running, because i sometimes wanna snap a photo or text someone on a proper device. So i don't see myself ever paying a monthly fee just to have LTE on my watch.

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan

I've actually upgrade at just about every opportunity available. Series 0 > Series 2 > Series 3 GPS+Cellular > Series 4 44mm GPS+Cellular

I have no regrets with any of the upgrades and I absolutely love my Series 4. I use mt Apple Watches all the time though including when I sleep and workouts. To me the jump from the Series 2 > Series 3 was the most noticeable leap in performance, but the larger screen size in the Series 4 might e my favorite upgrade of any of the Watch generations.

Thickstone

Oct 27, 2017
Am I irrational for wanting to downgrade from an X to an 8?

I miss the old form factor + Touch ID

Has anyone gone through the same, went with the downgrade and has regretted it?

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017

I would never want to go back to Touch ID. Face ID is so much better in just about every way.

If we're talking the future then Even if they implement underscreen Touch ID in 2020 I hope they also keep Face ID with an underscreen camera and no notch.

Last edited:

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Face ID isn't even better than Touch ID in every way let alone much better jesus lol

Touch ID is faster and better in some ways, worse in others. Apple didn't move from one to the other in order to improve but because there was no room for Touch ID anymore and Face ID is a good enough compromise.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Face ID isn't even better than Touch ID in every way let alone much better jesus lol

Touch ID is faster and better in some ways, worse in others. Apple didn't move from one to the other in order to improve but because there was no room for Touch ID anymore and Face ID is a good enough compromise.
Eh, it might be slower head to head but it for damn sure is magnitudes more seamless. Wanna run a shortcut that needs your phone unlocked or get into an app from a notification? Your phone is already prepared without you thinking about it once. Password fill in, Apple Pay - frictionless. I honestly can't recall any situation where I wanted TouchID back. But then again I get stuff like message notifications on my watch so I really only pick up my phone deliberately to get stuff done. As an option, why not, but I'd rather have faster and more robust FaceID first beforehand.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Even if Touch ID is faster in some situations I'd much rather just wait for the automatic face scan than have to think about using Touch ID.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
So I want to use Apple Music over say, Spotify, but I cannot stand the whole idea of uploading and "matching" my music to iCloud because last time I did that, it messed with the album artwork (luckily only on my iPhone so I could go back and fix it).

Is there really no way to use Apple Music and download albums from there to my phone for offline listening without giving Apple my own music to mess with? Alternatively can I just upload my library to iCloud without Apple touching it?

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017

I have a XS Max and I go back to my Android phone occasionally (Moto Z Play) which is pretty much the same dimensions as an iPhone 8 Plus along with having bezels and a front fingerprint sensor.

Other than than the phone being obviously slower and with "only" a 1080p screen, I do love having the fingerprint sensor back. Not sure how iPhone touch Id is/was, but my Android phone is immediate and I only need to touch the sensor to turn the phone on and unlock it, so no picking it up or pressing the power button to turn the screen on and then swiping to unlock and hoping my fa E and the phone are at the right angle to register. Also nice when putting in a password not having to wait for that little Face ID animation (which isn't bad, but feels unnecessary imo).

I definitely prefer having a bezeless (or near bezeless) screen, but I don't mind going back to having bezels as much as I thought I would.

While I don't love Face ID it's not that big of an issue for me to consider selling my XS Max, probably losing a couple hundred $ off what I paid for it, and then getting a year older phone just for a fingerprint sensor. The Max is a damn good phone still and what I paid for it I want to get at least 1-2years out of it before I sell it. Ill just be sure in the future to get a phone with a fingerprint sensor, whether that means waiting for Apple to put it under the screen or hopping back to an Android phone.

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
So I want to use Apple Music over say, Spotify, but I cannot stand the whole idea of uploading and "matching" my music to iCloud because last time I did that, it messed with the album artwork (luckily only on my iPhone so I could go back and fix it).

Is there really no way to use Apple Music and download albums from there to my phone for offline listening without giving Apple my own music to mess with? Alternatively can I just upload my library to iCloud without Apple touching it?

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're asking, you can do this. In fact I think it's how most people use Apple Music. Sign up for a $9.99 a month sub, add songs or albums from the Apple Music catalog to your library and then download those songs to your phone from the music app. There's no reason that you have to ever upload your music to Apple unless you want access to something that isn't part of the Apple Music catalog.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The only time Apple won't touch it is if it's not in their catalogue. Otherwise it'll try and match everything.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I got a iPhone XR for Christmas. However, I'm not going to activate it until they fix the issue with iOS 12.1.2. I hear now that the newest update even breaks the WiFi function.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The internet, ladies and gentlemen!

For what it's worth there's no chance it comes with 12.1.2 out of the box
True. But won't I need to upgrade to activate?

Here's my problem. I used to be able to back up my phone to my mid 2010 Mac book pro. It uses the OSX Lion. But now I get a connection error. If I switch over to a new phone all the music I didn't download from iTunes are gone.

Oct 25, 2017
True. But won't I need to upgrade to activate?

Here's my problem. I used to be able to back up my phone to my mid 2010 Mac book pro. It uses the OSX Lion. But now I get a connection error. If I switch over to a new phone all the music I didn't download from iTunes are gone.

Having just gone through this process with my dad's XR, you need a minimum of iTunes 12.x and MacOS 10.11.6 (El Cap) to sync to iTunes. Since your machine supports it, I'd recommend just upgrading to High Sierra. At the very least can't imagine sticking for this long with Lion given that it was one of the worst recent OS releases :P

There was a bit of a hoop to jump through because my dad's old 6 was upgraded higher than the XR, and he didn't have the latest version of iTunes (which wasn't showing up when we tried to download through iTunes.) So I ended up having to back up his 6, manually download the iTunes update, update the XR, treat it like a new phone and set it up, and then connect it back to iTunes and restore from backup. And there was a restart required at one point too because the XR was telling him to connect it but iTunes wasn't recognizing it until after said restart.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania

I wouldn't. I'm still on a 7 but I wouldn't want to come back to this form factor after getting used to the new one if only because eventually you will have to move on. You can't keep clinging to the past. Might as well move on. The older designs are still around for people who don't want to move forward yet, maybe they're waiting a few generations. But eventually the old form factor will be gone and you will have to move forward.

If anything FaceID will get better with each generation. TouchID probably won't come back. Even if they can put the sensor under the screen.

That said I'm probably going to get a XR to use for a few years while I wait for the next big leap. Just to save myself some money. I'll miss 3D Touch for some things but will easily get used to long pressing for the stuff I use it for. My only concern is that you can't access control center from the bottom of the screen and that's completely stupid. On a large phone it's a pain in the ass to have to use a second hand to swipe it down from the corner when they could make it accessible with a gesture. Like a long press on the home bar then swipe up to bring it up. A little animation to signify that it's ready to be activated. Hopefully they'll do that in iOS 13.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't. I'm still on a 7 but I wouldn't want to come back to this form factor after getting used to the new one if only because eventually you will have to move on. You can't keep clinging to the past. Might as well move on. The older designs are still around for people who don't want to move forward yet, maybe they're waiting a few generations. But eventually the old form factor will be gone and you will have to move forward.

If anything FaceID will get better with each generation. TouchID probably won't come back. Even if they can put the sensor under the screen.

That said I'm probably going to get a XR to use for a few years while I wait for the next big leap. Just to save myself some money. I'll miss 3D Touch for some things but will easily get used to long pressing for the stuff I use it for. My only concern is that you can't access control center from the bottom of the screen and that's completely stupid. On a large phone it's a pain in the ass to have to use a second hand to swipe it down from the corner when they could make it accessible with a gesture. Like a long press on the home bar then swipe up to bring it up. A little animation to signify that it's ready to be activated. Hopefully they'll do that in iOS 13.

It's less about the form factor than about the new homescreen / app switcher gestures.
The "bottom swipe" to switch between apps is kind of a paradigm shift vis-a-vis multi-tasking on the X / XS / XR.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
It's less about the form factor than about the new homescreen / app switcher gestures.
The "bottom swipe" to switch between apps is kind of a paradigm shift vis-a-vis multi-tasking on the X / XS / XR.
Exactly why you should just move forward because the old design and paradigms are dead and gone once they stop selling the old pre-X iPhones which will happen within the next couple updates. And with a couple more, those old phones won't even be able to run the new iOS versions.

I mean if you want to stay with the old phones for now then fine. By the time you upgrade to something post-X you'll have something really awesome. But if you're already on an X phone and trying to go back to the older phone styles because you don't like how the new ones do things, you're just delaying the inevitable. If you're already on an X then stay on an X. IMHO I guess.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Having used the iPhone XS Max since launch, I have gotten used to it's quirks coming from an iPhone 7

I still would like to see the next iPhone to have the following:
1. Balanced weight distribution - or just lighter tbh. This is a heavy phone for a phone
2. Better 3D Touch - I feel like my iPhone 7 had better 3D Touch tbh

dem

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I don't understand wanting to go back to Touch ID.. Face ID is so seamless.

Notifications were so annoying with Touch ID. Touch a notification only to be prompted to do Touch ID. It was clunky. Face ID it just works. All the app identification just works. iCloud Keychain just works.

I mean.. technically.. pulling it out of your pocket with Touch ID and being IN iOS by the time you're looking at your phone is faster. But the Face ID at the lockscreen is so fast it just doesn't bother me in practice. The face id is usually done by the time I swipe in.

Last edited:

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I don't understand wanting to go back to Touch ID.. Face ID is so seamless.

Notifications were so annoying with Touch ID. Touch a notification only to be prompted to do Touch ID. It was clunky. Face ID it just works. All the app identification just works.

I mean.. technically.. pulling it out of your pocket with Touch ID and being IN iOS by the time you're looking at your phone is faster. But the Face ID at the lockscreen is so fast it just doesn't bother me in practice. The face id is usually done by the time I swipe in.
Not to mention how much quicker and convenient it is while using the phone after unlocking.
Entering passwords, unlocking apps, approving purchases, all without having to move your fingers.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Why isn't there an option to have the phone go to the home screen once FaceID has authenticated, like how Rest Finger to Open w/ TouchID works?

I know it's so you can read notifications or whatever, but a lot of the time I don't have notifications when I just want to get into my phone and having to swipe is strictly a needless step at that point. All I'm asking for is the choice.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Why isn't there an option to have the phone go to the home screen once FaceID has authenticated, like how Rest Finger to Open w/ TouchID works?

I know it's so you can read notifications or whatever, but a lot of the time I don't have notifications when I just want to get into my phone and having to swipe is strictly a needless step at that point. All I'm asking for is the choice.

Is that really a needed feature though? Like, the home screen has no information - only a grid of buttons, so literally all you can do is tap an app - which would require your finger.

I don't understand the use case of wanting to get to the-place-that-requires-my-finger-input without doing that tiny swipe-up.

If there were a setting like that, i guarantee you'd hate it :P

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Is that really a needed feature though? Like, the home screen has no information - only a grid of buttons, so literally all you can do is tap an app - which would require your finger.

I don't understand the use case of wanting to get to the-place-that-requires-my-finger-input without doing that tiny swipe-up.

If there were a setting like that, i guarantee you'd hate it :P
Well, that's essentially how I use my iPhone right now so I don't think I'd hate it. All I'm asking for is the same option already in iOS but adapted for FaceID, not really a big ask, but one that I think would be a nice QoL improvement for those who might prefer it.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's essentially how I use my iPhone right now so I don't think I'd hate it. All I'm asking for is the same option already in iOS but adapted for FaceID, not really a big ask, but one that I think would be a nice QoL improvement for those who might prefer it.
The issue with this is that it wouldn't be a QoL improvement.

With the home button, you can leave or remove your finger. You can't decide to "leave or remove" your face, can you?
So you'd basically have a setting that eliminates the notification screen altogether - unless you were to purposefully point faceID away from your face.

Oct 25, 2017
The issue with this is that it wouldn't be a QoL improvement.

With the home button, you can leave or remove your finger. You can't decide to "leave or remove" your face, can you?
So you'd basically have a setting that eliminates the notification screen altogether - unless you were to purposefully point faceID away from your face.

That's what he's asking for. As someone who likewise doesn't have that many notifications I can see the appeal.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
That's what he's asking for. As someone who likewise doesn't have that many notifications I can see the appeal.

Still, the Notification screen is an integral component to the entire notification paradigm of iOS.
So even if it's a "QoL improvement" - which i still don't necessarily agree with - i don't think it's reasonable to expect Apple to implement a feature like that.
The notification screen isn't just needed for notifications, it also hosts music controls. So if you were to unlock your phone, wanting to skip a song, you couldn't because just looking at the phone would skip straight to the home screen.

Again, it's dramatically different to how it worked with TouchID, because there's no (intuitive) way you could have the phone differentiate whether you just wanted to wake it, or unlock it and go to home screen. With buttons you hit the side button to wake, the home button to unlock.
With FaceID and your suggested implementation, whatever way you woke your phone, just looking at it would unlock it.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

FWIW, you can swipe before you look at your phone, which may be faster for your use case.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Still, the Notification screen is an integral component to the entire notification paradigm of iOS.
So even if it's a "QoL improvement" - which i still don't necessarily agree with - i don't think it's reasonable to expect Apple to implement a feature like that.
The notification screen isn't just needed for notifications, it also hosts music controls. So if you were to unlock your phone, wanting to skip a song, you couldn't because just looking at the phone would skip straight to the home screen.

Again, it's dramatically different to how it worked with TouchID, because there's no (intuitive) way you could have the phone differentiate whether you just wanted to wake it, or unlock it and go to home screen. With buttons you hit the side button to wake, the home button to unlock.
With FaceID and your suggested implementation, whatever way you woke your phone, just looking at it would unlock it.
I'm asking for an option, not a default change everyone will have to use. The same way it is in iOS now for TouchID devices.

If I want to get to my notifications after I'm at my home screen it's very easy. Essentially all I'm doing is prioritizing the home screen as the first touch point, instead of notifications. It's a preference about what the user thinks should have priority.

FWIW, you can swipe before you look at your phone, which may be faster for your use case.
True, and that can help, but ultimately my goal would be to remove the need to swipe at all.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not to mention how much quicker and convenient it is while using the phone after unlocking.
Entering passwords, unlocking apps, approving purchases, all without having to move your fingers.
But you're using apps with your fingers. You can literally tap your phone dozens times or more per minute when you're using it. That advantage just doesn't have any weight to it, it's just novelty. Not to mention, Touch ID isn't time based like Face ID, in which if you get prompted to authenticate and aren't ready and miss your time window it can get tricky to the point it will fail enough consecutive times ask you for your passcode. Touch ID is literally one tap like the thousands per day on your phone and doesn't force you to any time window. You use it when you're ready. You use it blindly, it will work. You bring up Apple Pay in a hot second as you simultaneously bring it to the POS and authenticate in the same gesture. Never have to bring it up to your face first while muttering "just a second...". You can be in bed with your face stuck in your pillow and it will still authenticate. Or half covered by your blanket or body. You can be talking around and not really looking straight at the phone the exact second it needs authentitaction. You don't have to be always conscious to make a face to the phone. Touch ID is more relaxing to use, and it's a big bonus when I'm using my iPad instead of iPhone.

You can all say "well, all of that doesn't really matter to me" and that's fine. But you can't say that Face ID is better than Touch ID in every way, because it's not true. Face ID is to all effects an alternative to Touch ID in devices that don't have a bezel to carry it. Hell we've had all-new Touch ID devices coming out in 2018 (MacBook Air) so even Apple don't seem to position Face ID as a total evolution to Touch ID but rather as a side step. Honestly, none of them are perfect, but since switching from Touch ID to Face ID I've had to input my passcode more often, to the point I switched my passcode to a simpler, faster to type one, at the expense of security. I've trained myself to pre-emptively be tapping on that part of the screen where the (repeated) digit is. That's not great or futuristic. Face ID is good enough at the moment in the sense I wouldn't want the bezels back just for Touch ID, but honestly I feel like Apple needs to continue working on biometric authentication because Face ID doesn't seem to be a good enough long term solution, at least just by itself. Things can certainly be better than this.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
But you're using apps with your fingers. You can literally tap your phone dozens times or more per minute when you're using it. That advantage just doesn't have any weight to it, it's just novelty. Not to mention, Touch ID isn't time based like Face ID, in which if you get prompted to authenticate and aren't ready and miss your time window it can get tricky to the point it will fail enough consecutive times ask you for your passcode. Touch ID is literally one tap like the thousands per day on your phone and doesn't force you to any time window. You use it when you're ready. You use it blindly, it will work. You bring up Apple Pay in a hot second as you simultaneously bring it to the POS and authenticate in the same gesture. Never have to bring it up to your face first while muttering "just a second...". You can be in bed with your face stuck in your pillow and it will still authenticate. Or half covered by your blanket or body. You can be talking around and not really looking straight at the phone the exact second it needs authentitaction. You don't have to be always conscious to make a face to the phone. Touch ID is more relaxing to use, and it's a big bonus when I'm using my iPad instead of iPhone.

You can all say "well, all of that doesn't really matter to me" and that's fine. But you can't say that Face ID is better than Touch ID in every way, because it's not true. Face ID is to all effects an alternative to Touch ID in devices that don't have a bezel to carry it. Hell we've had all-new Touch ID devices coming out in 2018 (MacBook Air) so even Apple don't seem to position Face ID as a total evolution to Touch ID but rather as a side step. Honestly, none of them are perfect, but since switching from Touch ID to Face ID I've had to input my passcode more often, to the point I switched my passcode to a simpler, faster to type one, at the expense of security. I've trained myself to pre-emptively be tapping on that part of the screen where the (repeated) digit is. That's not great or futuristic. Face ID is good enough at the moment in the sense I wouldn't want the bezels back just for Touch ID, but honestly I feel like Apple needs to continue working on biometric authentication because Face ID doesn't seem to be a good enough long term solution, at least just by itself. Things can certainly be better than this.

The placement of your fingers is a big thing. (especially on iPad where my fingers were never near the bottom of the device)
Moving my thumb to the bottom unused part of the phone just for the home button always involves a bit of hand adjustment for me. Swiping through multiple apps that require authentication make it much easier.

As for Apple Pay at checkout, you can have that ready before the total is even rung up.

I do have one question though.
For phones with touch authentication under the screen already. Is it anywhere on the glass or a specific area?

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
I do have one question though.
For phones with touch authentication under the screen already. Is it anywhere on the glass or a specific area?
It's a specific area roughly the size of existing physical touch sensors. I imagine the target area will get bigger relatively soon as the tech improves, but I have my doubts about it being doable (or economical) for the entire screen anytime soon.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I bought a Logitech C922 webcam because I'd like to stream and/or record stuff. I've tried Quicktime, OBS, and Flash apps within the browser. With all of them, my Mac's fans spin up and get noisy within two minutes, even if I turn the quality down to 640x480@30fps. I've got a 2012 rMBP (first-gen Retina model). Is the GPU really that bad?
Apart from turning down the the video quality (which I'd rather not do), I've tried it on Windows (Bootcamp), I've tried resetting the SMC, and I've tried lowering the OS resolution. Nothing helped. Anything else I can try?

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Just got the 2018 Ipad. It's pretty cool. But what kind of bone-headed decision was it to put the speakers so you don't get stereo in landscape mode? Well, it wouldn't have affected my purchase decision anyway. /rant

Any recommended cases that holds the Pencil, that aren't too expensive? A plus if the cover attaches to the back when open, but not a requirement.

And oh, Safari isn't playing Youtube videos at higher than 720p, is this a codec issue?

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Picked up a lot at the Apple store today. Tv4k iPad Pro 11 inch and pencil HomePod

So far it's all living up to it's Apple name but I certainly have a few questions I need to google.

Like for one. I noticed I can have the tv play out of my soundbar and the HomePod. This will be excellent for music. When I watch a show will it do a quasi surround sound with my soundbar or does sound weird soundbar in front and HomePod behind

Also having an issue with my tv now. A ks8000
I was sure before it auto detected hdr when switch between Netflix shows and would set my brightness and tv settings per detection.

There was even a big hub hub bc it wouldn't do it on game mode for years.

Now it's not doing it on Netflix? Does not make sense

Last edited:

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Just got the 2018 Ipad. It's pretty cool. But what kind of bone-headed decision was it to put the speakers so you don't get stereo in landscape mode? Well, it wouldn't have affected my purchase decision anyway. /rant

Any recommended cases that holds the Pencil, that aren't too expensive? A plus if the cover attaches to the back when open, but not a requirement.

And oh, Safari isn't playing Youtube videos at higher than 720p, is this a codec issue?

Oh cool hi five

I'm completely lost on cases bc I have done no research. I'm trying to talk myself down from apples keyboard case

The Apple employee made it sound like a codec issue and yeah he said google chrome will play YouTube in 4K

Another thing about YouTube drive me nuts is that it's app on iPad at least doesn't have a PIP option but safari does but not a big deal just gotta get a quicker way from going to YouTube app vid to it in pip in safari. Maybe there's a Siri shortcut for that lmao

And so wait does YouTube app not do 4K either now that I think of it. Crazy.

Anyways time to set up my iPad Pro. Also got to order AirPods they had no stock.

Just trying it quickly I'm not finding 4K on Chrome, so off to google to figure that one out.

Airplay is pretty great tho, wow

Last edited:

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
It's a YouTube being dicks issue. Safari can play whatever up to the hardware limits afaik, but YouTube limits the mobile site to 720/30, so Chrome on iPad shouldn't be any different (unless you can force the desktop site and get the desktop stream options maybe). Fairly sure it's cause they want people to use their app instead of Safari, probably cause you can use ad blockers in Safari.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Yeah I'm wondering maybe he meant chrome cast, but now im curious if my smart tv YouTube app plays in 4K I never see a setting to adjust the resolution

Edit: this iPad Pro from air 2 everyday use has been such a lively upgrade. The improvement is awesome.

Edit 2 ok I did not expect the pencil to be this cool to just use for even safari and just throw to top of iPad when don't want is sick

Last edited:

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up a lot at the Apple store today. Tv4k iPad Pro 11 inch and pencil HomePod

So far it's all living up to it's Apple name but I certainly have a few questions I need to google.

Like for one. I noticed I can have the tv play out of my soundbar and the HomePod. This will be excellent for music. When I watch a show will it do a quasi surround sound with my soundbar or does sound weird soundbar in front and HomePod behind

Also having an issue with my tv now. A ks8000
I was sure before it auto detected hdr when switch between Netflix shows and would set my brightness and tv settings per detection.

There was even a big hub hub bc it wouldn't do it on game mode for years.

Now it's not doing it on Netflix? Does not make sense
Apple TV 4K defaults to outputting everything in HDR (well, it's mapping SDR content to HDR) to avoid the mode changing flicker. You can change this in the settings and also adapt your preferences for frame rate and color space in the same menu.