• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh, interesting. So it's like an upscale for hdr?

Is this someth8ng people like or turn off. This caught me of guard.

I have my ATV to match color space and frame rate. The slight lag on my TV when switching modes for the content I'm playing is mildly annoying, but definitely worth having videos displayed correctly.

I do keep the main menu in 4K60 Dolby Vision because the screensavers are gorgeous.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Stacked some gift cards and rewards and picked up an Apple TV yesterday. My Xbox 360 was showing its age, most of my Samsung Smart TV apps are garbage, and the Switch's streaming landscape is dire so I figured it was time to pick up a proper streaming device.

It's overwhelming, for sure. I don't have speakers connected to my television so there's no point in music playback, and so many services require tv subscriptions that it looks like it'll be a glorified Netflix/Hulu box in the end anyway.

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stacked some gift cards and rewards and picked up an Apple TV yesterday. My Xbox 360 was showing its age, most of my Samsung Smart TV apps are garbage, and the Switch's streaming landscape is dire so I figured it was time to pick up a proper streaming device.

It's overwhelming, for sure. I don't have speakers connected to my television so there's no point in music playback, and so many services require tv subscriptions that it looks like it'll be a glorified Netflix/Hulu box in the end anyway.

Enjoy! Aside from my iPhone the apple 4ktv is my favorite and most used apple product. It's so convienent to have all my streaming services and digital library in one place. PQ is awesome too! YouTube still isn't displaying 4K on it though 😤

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
How does Gruber survive only on his "print" blog and the talk show and the various Apple shows he does? He does the three hour "talk show", but shouldn't guys like Gruber be moving to video?

I know he charges like $8,000 a week for a blog sponsor and he has other income but he is often cutting a lot of sponsor deals recently as I see him with the "let's make a deal" posts.

Do a lot of people still stop by his blog for his one paragraph hot takes on three day old news and Fortnite at 60fps on A12 OMG Apple posts?

Theloop by Jim D follows the same business model for an Apple blog and they are down to charging $1000 a week for an exclusive sponsor. They don't even update their sponsorship page anymore.

Isn't the small personal take Apple news business moving to YouTube and video with things like Vector by Rene Richie (still pretty small but also new) and Dave Lee and Jonathan Morrison?

Oct 25, 2017
How does Gruber survive only on his "print" blog and the talk show and the various Apple shows he does? He does the three hour "talk show", but shouldn't guys like Gruber be moving to video?

I know he charges like $8,000 a week for a blog sponsor and he has other income but he is often cutting a lot of sponsor deals recently as I see him with the "let's make a deal" posts.

Do a lot of people still stop by his blog for his one paragraph hot takes on three day old news and Fortnite at 60fps on A12 OMG Apple posts?

Theloop by Jim D follows the same business model for an Apple blog and they are down to charging $1000 a week for an exclusive sponsor. They don't even update their sponsorship page anymore.

Isn't the small personal take Apple news business moving to YouTube and video with things like Vector by Rene Richie (still pretty small but also new) and Dave Lee and Jonathan Morrison?

Always better to ask for a crazy amount and cut deals often than permanently discount your prices (and thus cheapen the perceived value of your service.)

As for why he can charge way more than Dalrymple, he's got a much bigger audience. 40K Alexa rank versus 220K. It's interesting to note both are sliding over the course of the year, though:
graph

graph

(I'm not sure if this is cyclical though, as dropping after the Sept/Oct product announcements makes some sense.)

But I think to a degree, it doesn't matter. The audience itself isn't all that important, it's who's in the audience. I imagine those page views are far more valuable than video reviews, not to mention enormously cheaper. Getting into video is expensive and time-consuming, far more than audio production (which I don't even think Gruber does for The Talk Show.) Rene Ritchie puts out 120+ videos in less than a year for 9 million views. Even if Gruber isn't reaching that audience he's spending a lot less time for a lot more comparative bang for his buck.

(The same thing can be said for podcasts. You're reaching a much more tech-literate and most likely well-heeled demographic than video, and it's again much cheaper.)

I still visit his blog regularly. He's not doing hot takes (he's got Twitter for that) but in general I find his commentary far more insightful and interesting than a lot of pundits out there, including Dalrymple (who has always had a blinkered fanboy tinge to his posts in my opinion.) Meanwhile Ritchie, despite being a longtime Apple journalist, still has the clickbait titles and dumb thumbnail stuff going on, and frankly I don't find him a compelling screen presence, not to mention my usual issues with videos taking up a lot of time and not providing me as much info as good written articles.

Last edited:

diditstart

Dec 3, 2017
Los Angeles

Not everyone likes video. I still get all my news via my rss reader and 200+ text based sources. I usually pass on video reviews, opinion pieces etc. as it's just too slow to go through, watch and just cringe.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't see Gruber doing well in a video environment. I like the guy but he doesn't strike me as having a visual charisma, he's definitely got that "radio voice," and the writing talent to back it up.

It's like when Marco Arment does a video review. Really, it's just kind of awkward

Oct 25, 2017
I can't see Gruber doing well in a video environment. I like the guy but he doesn't strike me as having a visual charisma, he's definitely got that "radio voice," and the writing talent to back it up.

It's like when Marco Arment does a video review. Really, it's just kind of awkward

I haven't seen any of the 'old' Apple guys look like they should be doing video, and it makes sense. They didn't start in that world, and many of their skills don't neatly transition or apply.

Some of the Youtube guys are cringey and awkward in the other direction (I don't understand how people enjoy watching the weird terrible skits and stuff of LinusTechTips) but they still feel more at home on the platform. Likewise I don't find MKBHD all that interesting, but I get why he does well (and he's at least free of a lot of the most annoying Youtuber tendencies.)

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Google only supports its own VP9 codec for birates above 1080p.

Apple's hardware (and software) supports the more common industry standard H.264/H.265/HEVC codecs.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Oh, interesting. So it's like an upscale for hdr?

Is this someth8ng people like or turn off. This caught me of guard.
Off for reasons mentioned, although I kept it on myself cause I have no clue how my TV would handle it in terms of its own settings. Like I have everything set at 4K HDR, but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a 720/1080/non HDR source and uses default settings I haven't set up yet on that input. Just don't want to deal with that crap.

Pretty much how I use mine too, although if you have your own downloaded collection the apps like Infuse or whatever are nice. And my TV is near my computer, so I used it as a second monitor over AirPlay to watch a basketball stream.

I just have them in my RSS feeds, a bit slow and lacking lately it seems but still alright enough to keep around for me.

Any time I've gone to YouTube for stuff it's generally horrid. As mentioned it seems like the older Mac guys that are there...aren't that good at it, while the established YouTube personality types are generally kind of annoying and samey feeling content wise.
Is it ever better airplay something over another source.
This sentence seems to be missing words or something. Do you mean is it ever better to AirPlay to Apple TV vs playing directly through an app on the Apple TV itself?

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone seen the 12.9 smart Keyboard folio in the wild? I have been looking to buy one for the last few days and can't find one anywhere....

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
Also 4K Amazon prime videos won't play on an iOS device capable of 4K (says not capable on this device or something). This I assume down to a codec issue just like YouTube. Come on Apple get yer shit together. First you won't allow casting to non apple devices and now you don't even support 4K for two of the bigger companies out there.

Though the embedd YouTube player defaulting to SD res is definitely all on YouTube. Obvious they are prodding you to open the video in their app.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also 4K Amazon prime videos won't play on an iOS device capable of 4K (says not capable on this device or something). This I assume down to a codec issue just like YouTube. Come on Apple get yer shit together. First you won't allow casting to non apple devices and now you don't even support 4K for two of the bigger companies out there.

Though the embedd YouTube player defaulting to SD res is definitely all on YouTube. Obvious they are prodding you to open the video in their app.

?

Amazon lists the Apple TV 4K as compatible with their 4K service

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/cust...C20__SECTION_A2CBC6FEA850413192ADE593EEC7AA50

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I got a replacement battery for my SE near the beginning of October, and it's already down to 97% on the battery health indicator. I've only got about a week left on the 90 day warranty, but I'm not sure what the warranty covers. Should I take it back in to the repair centre?

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

My prime videos play in 4K.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Battery capacity on my iPhone SE is at 84% and I can really feel it. Looks like a battery replacement is covered under AppleCare so I'll get that replaced between now and when it ends in March. Until then I'm living off of external battery packs it looks like.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas

Make sure you're choosing the 4K version of the show. Amazon is stupid and lists HD and UHD separately for the same shows and movies.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know you think you're being clever or some shit, but saying you can't say your opinion by citing a mod post saying that stating a certain opinion on this will get you banned pretty much tells us what your opinion is...
I got a replacement battery for my SE near the beginning of October, and it's already down to 97% on the battery health indicator. I've only got about a week left on the 90 day warranty, but I'm not sure what the warranty covers. Should I take it back in to the repair centre?
Battery capacity on my iPhone SE is at 84% and I can really feel it. Looks like a battery replacement is covered under AppleCare so I'll get that replaced between now and when it ends in March. Until then I'm living off of external battery packs it looks like.

If you're talking the warranty (or AppleCare) straight from Apple, they'll only replace it at no cost if it's 80% or under.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
So confused this morning. All of my devices are connecting to the internet except my new iPad. It's been 8 hours since I first tried and it will not connect. Worked fine til this morning.

Maybe a simple unplug and plug back in of the modem?

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I purchased my brother's iPad Air 2 since he never uses it any more. I am loving it as a content-consuming device (reading and watching). I've never had a tablet or iPad before. Any other interesting things to try with it?

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I've been using an iPad Air 2 since its release, and an air the year before that. Just upgraded to the new 11inch pro yesterday.

Honestly the air 2 is a hell of a good iPad for around the house. That thing will still be used here, for YEARS to come.

My thing is it and it's air counterpart took years of abuse and all I ended up with was 1 dead pixel and the cases they made for them rock but do start falling apart but I still use em lol

Media consuming like Netflix, YouTube (pip from browser is cool as heck) and twitch can be fun. Honestly it was an incredible hearthstone machine but I gave that game up late last year.

And than the obvious forum browser. I want to get the new keyboard for the the new pro to get used to a kB again after years and years of ignoring them now.

Oct 25, 2017
Losing 25% market cap in a few months is bad. Is it because of Apple or outside forces is anyone's guess right now, but it's a disaster at this point.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Losing 25% market cap in a few months is bad. Is it because of Apple or outside forces is anyone's guess right now, but it's a disaster at this point.

Well, Cook said in his investor statement that the majority of sales decline was focused in China. I think there were also less upgraders than they expected, though not sure why that's a surprise to them given where they priced the iPhone X. He also basically said "Trump's stupid trade war". But I think it's safe to say the days of exponential revenue due to iPhone sales are over. They've more or less saturated the high-end market. They'd have to step into the mid-range phone market to see more revenue increases across the board, and Apple historically is just not into lower margin products. I think that's why Tim has been more focused on generating more services revenue; they've seen the writing on the wall for some time.

Hopefully the market won't give them a beating tomorrow. But I do miss the Steve Jobs era where he notably didn't give a shit about the stock market. It feels like Tim is too focused on it, maybe because that's all he really knows. He's not a product guy.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Down about 37% from its peak. Worse than the overall stock market which is only down about 15%.

The have always been undervalued compared to their peers though.

Well, Cook said in his investor statement that the majority of sales decline was focused in China. I think there were also less upgraders than they expected, though not sure why that's a surprise to them given where they priced the iPhone X. He also basically said "Trump's stupid trade war". But I think it's safe to say the days of exponential revenue due to iPhone sales are over. They've more or less saturated the high-end market. They'd have to step into the mid-range phone market to see more revenue increases across the board, and Apple historically is just not into lower margin products. I think that's why Tim has been more focused on generating more services revenue; they've seen the writing on the wall for some time.

Hopefully the market won't give them a beating tomorrow. But I do miss the Steve Jobs era where he notably didn't give a shit about the stock market. It feels like Tim is too focused on it, maybe because that's all he really knows. He's not a product guy.

The bulk of revenue decline was in China and emerging countries, they hit record revenue domestically and in a few other countries as well. They blamed the less than expected upgraders on the battery program and phone finance restructuring. They have the data, but I'd agree that they probably reached the limits of their pricing with the iphone.

I really don't agree Cook is focused on the stock market, he's an operations guy. He is focused on margins, and trying to set a rational market price.

I'd bet if China wasn't such a drag, they would have been pleased with the results in general. Gruber linked to a report from a few years ago on how in China Apple is just another smartphone vendor, and their focus on iOS is not paying off as much there, as basically wechat is all you need. It's pure about hardware (gimmicks) and a new look every year if you want the average consumer there to upgrade. That sounded plausible to me.

Im still confused how tariffs play in all of this. I think my original assumption that parts etc are basically foreign outstanding works, and are only subject to the chinese side of things is still pretty likely considering the small decline in margins.

Oct 25, 2017
Have we passed peak iPhone?

We passed it two years ago. The iPhone X/jump from 7 to 8 was certainly the biggest indicator.

The only potentially worrisome news in this entire thing is that Apple themselves had to revise their guidance. Stock market is gonna stock market anyhow.

At $85b for the quarter it will only be their second most profitable quarter instead of their first. Good news for them is the attach rate remains strong and services keeps growing, but trade war crap and any fluctuation in emerging markets are going to throw them off a lot more than they used to given that's where most of the remaining growth is.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the main issue that Apple got caught out on is basically due to an increasingly large amount of their hardware revenue is coming from China, and they aren't the most reliable or dependable economic investment or trading partner. Not to mention the whole run-by-an-oppressive-authoritarian-dictatorship-with-horrid-human-rights-record issue, which no one likes to talk about.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's too late to change the hardware for the 2019 iPhone, and likely too late to make giant changes to iOS 13 to make software a big upgrade driver either. So if the phones are gonna be pretty similar to the current ones (which it sounds like they are) all they can do is adjust the price.