• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone encounter a Messages problem on High Sierra where it won't open the app and says:

An internal Messages error occurred.
There was a problem with Messages. You need to quit and open Messages again.
Super annoying and I have tried a few fixes, but any recommendations?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
CarPlay. Experiencing it for the first time in my new car.

I like CarPlay.

Q: Does the native iPhone app support FLAC properly yet? I've been using Foobar for so long I forgot iTunes even exists, but if I can use the native app over Vox (my current FLAC-on-iOS solution), that might be better overall.

Anyone know off-hand? If not, I'll just assume it's not on the horizon either.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's too late to change the hardware for the 2019 iPhone, and likely too late to make giant changes to iOS 13 to make software a big upgrade driver either. So if the phones are gonna be pretty similar to the current ones (which it sounds like they are) all they can do is adjust the price.

A price adjustment is just playing in the margins. To sustain growth, Apple needs to make a concerted effort at the mid-range, beyond old/used phones. No one in China, India, Africa or South America -- which is where virtually all non-replacement sales are -- is going to choose an iPhone 7 with its dated design over a new Xiaomi or Huawei device. Apple can't just keep making phones for its core USA audience if it wants to compete globally.

My take is that Apple should release (ideally, off-cycle) a new phone line targeted at the $399 market with modern design sensibilities (an "iPhone Xc"). Apple can still differentiate its top iPhones by components/performance/features in order to minimalize cannibalization (metal/plastic back, no wireless charging, retina LCD screen, older generation SoC). The Xr complicates matters, as the only meaningful compromise is the screen, but imagine a March 2019 Xr with iPhone 8 internals and a plastic back for $499 or in a smaller size (6/6s/7/8-ish) for $399.

Does the native iPhone app support FLAC properly yet?

No.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I've been missing with Carplay and i find it better than the interface in my 2018 jeep wrangler with the big screen upgrade.

I see a lot of love be for Google maps but I'm not find it to be that special in Carplay tbh.

But maybe that will change with more experience.

I am certainly curious what the pros of sticking with Apples Maps. I'm assuming it fits into contacts locations for easy navigation. Idk what the benefits could be really

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
CarPlay talk? Let's go.

I just got CarPlay installed on my Mazda 3. I actually like the Mazda Connect OS a LOT, so jumping into CarPlay didn't feel like a huge update. But what was big for me is being able to finally use Waze and Google/Apple Maps. Using Siri was also a major thing. I ain't paying CAD$400+ to get the Mazda navigation enabled, and any attempts to use Siri via Bluetooth is weird, due to the car treating it as a phone call. Might as well add an extra $100 for the retrofit.

One thing I want to be able to change, and I'm hoping Apple allows for this in the future, is to choose my default maps app. Mazdas have a Navigation button on the centre console that opens up Apple Maps, and I wouldn't mind changing that to Waze.

On a different note, maybe I expected a lot out of CarPlay and I'm not seeing much of a leap from the default OS. It feels like there's a lot of potential to it, and it currently feels somewhat half-baked. I do go back and forth on it, in that I wouldn't want to be distracted by it, so it's fine as is; but also the potential for more. Ultimately, I like CarPlay.

I mess around with Shortcuts, and I might play around with some Siri-enabled shortcuts for it.

Also, Spotify doesn't work properly on it sometimes. I've had to reboot my phone because all I'd see is a blank screen when opening Spotify. Apparently, switching to another app and back to it should fix the issue, but not on my system. It's not time consuming to do, but it's a little annoying.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Is waze just as good in Canada? I have only heard good things but this is something I need to learn before I put too much time into checking it out.

Car play does feel half baked but again, with competition and like you said, cars own systems getting much better I would not be surprised to see some QOL improvement forms Apple.

Shortcuts seem huge in any regard, but I'm still trying to find a good article or video on them. I get bored within 20 seconds and close the window.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
Waze is solid, at least in Toronto.

I like that it's displayed on a bigger/wider screen than my iPhone. It spreads the info out more, making it feel less tightly put in. I could've put my phone in landscape, but the screen on my Mazda is still a lot bigger overall.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Waze is solid, at least in Toronto.

I like that it's displayed on a bigger/wider screen than my iPhone. It spreads the info out more, making it feel less tightly put in. I could've put my phone in landscape, but the screen on my Mazda is still a lot bigger overall.

Weli I'm only an hour south of t.o so sounds like my next app to learn

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I am certainly curious what the pros of sticking with Apples Maps. I'm assuming it fits into contacts locations for easy navigation. Idk what the benefits could be really

Not being tracked by Google basically everywhere you drive would be a big one for me. Don't know what Waze's privacy and data usage policy, but I wouldn't trust 'em either.

I like Apple Maps in generally better than Google now though. The UX just feels more iOS-y and I find it more readable at a glance than Google Maps. Plus the Siri integration with commands like "take me home".

diditstart

Dec 3, 2017
Los Angeles
Not being tracked by Google basically everywhere you drive would be a big one for me. Don't know what Waze's privacy and data usage policy, but I wouldn't trust 'em either.

I like Apple Maps in generally better than Google now though. The UX just feels more iOS-y and I find it more readable at a glance than Google Maps. Plus the Siri integration with commands like "take me home".

Waze is also owned by Google. And the same concerns you have with google maps exist, the whole functionality of waze is based on continuous tracking.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018

Yep. The satellite view on google maps is neat but it started to feel like a novelty. It helped me place where I was in the world but so would looking out my window lol

I actually did find the clarity of Apple maps nice on the eyes and easy to parse info quickly.

The google getting my data thing never bothered me but I'm probably just ignorant on why it should. When I think about all the info they prob have on me it is kind of crazy.

Oct 25, 2017
Apple Maps is way nicer. I also appreciate that it doesn't try to totally reroute you if you miss a turn as easily as Google Maps.

That said, Google Maps is more comprehensive so if I'm going somewhere I've never heard of I double-check the location in both applications just to make sure they agree.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
The current iPhone line up in Germany thanks to Qualcomm shenanigans. Not gonna lie, I like how clean it is

F0SmSaJ.png

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Apple Maps is way nicer. I also appreciate that it doesn't try to totally reroute you if you miss a turn as easily as Google Maps.

That said, Google Maps is more comprehensive so if I'm going somewhere I've never heard of I double-check the location in both applications just to make sure they agree.

My rule of thumb is:
If i wanna reach an address i've never been to, i use Google. I've been burned by AppleMaps before.
If i just wanna get to another city and don't wanna miss any highway exits, i'll just use AppleMaps.

What i love about CarPlay is the fact that iOS and App upgrades improve your car's dash functionality on a regular basis. Like, from the time i got my new car with CarPlay built into the dash, Apple added some neat features, and Google Maps became available.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The current iPhone line up in Germany thanks to Qualcomm shenanigans. Not gonna lie, I like how clean it is

F0SmSaJ.png
What are we supposed to be seeing here? I don't get it.

edit: ah, no 7 or 8. Sorry. For a second I thought they could be nested in that last option to the right.

Oct 25, 2017
My rule of thumb is:
If i wanna reach an address i've never been to, i use Google. I've been burned by AppleMaps before.
If i just wanna get to another city and don't wanna miss any highway exits, i'll just use AppleMaps.

What i love about CarPlay is the fact that iOS and App upgrades improve your car's dash functionality on a regular basis. Like, from the time i got my new car with CarPlay built into the dash, Apple added some neat features, and Google Maps became available.

I've gotten burned by Google the same way—a trip to my brother's workplace in the 'burbs somehow wanted to send me to a different city entirely, etc. Google's been wrong for me about as often in big ways, where it usually beats Apple in my trips is in correctly sticking businesses (Apple might say it's a hundred feet further down the road, etc.) and having more up-to-date info (in France Google Maps knew about striking subway trains.)

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
What are we supposed to be seeing here? I don't get it.

edit: ah, no 7 or 8. Sorry. For a second I thought they could be nested in that last option to the right.
Good catch, I for one didn't notice the "classic" icon there. They still show SE, 6 and 6s there. Guess those are still sold refurbished? Idk

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Is there a cheap good alternative to the Apple Pencil? I have last year's iPad Pro, if that matters.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Tried the 40mm watch at a store yesterday and I was a bit surprised by how small it actually was. I'm a skinny guy and I've always thought massive watches look tacky as fuck, so I obviously figured I'd go for the smaller watch, but it was TINY. They didn't have the 44m one for me to try, unfortunately, so I guess I'll go check out some other stores next week.

Seemed like a damn solid device, though. Getting closer to buying one for myself soon.

I might have to start looking for a wireless charger that can charge both my iPhone 8 and the watch at the same time, though.

Oct 26, 2017
Just came out of the Apple store and they said it would cost $540 to repair my cracked X, which I just bought three months ago.

Did the cost go up? I thought it was $275ish

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Tried the 40mm watch at a store yesterday and I was a bit surprised by how small it actually was. I'm a skinny guy and I've always thought massive watches look tacky as fuck, so I obviously figured I'd go for the smaller watch, but it was TINY. They didn't have the 44m one for me to try, unfortunately, so I guess I'll go check out some other stores next week.

It's all relative to how oversized modern watches are (though that trend is finally fading now). You look at Mad Men era watches, men's sizes were much smaller...in the range of 32-42mm. I wear the 38mm Gen 0 Apple Watch and it took a bit to get used to, but it looks fine (I have skinny wrists too). The most important thing is that it looks proportional to your wrist size, so you'll have to be the judge of that.

Massa

Oct 27, 2017

Seemed like a damn solid device, though. Getting closer to buying one for myself soon.

I might have to start looking for a wireless charger that can charge both my iPhone 8 and the watch at the same time, though.

I had the smaller sized Samsung watch and thought it was too big for my wrist, so I naturally thought I'd get the smaller Apple Watch. Nope, the 44 is perfect.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Interesting, maybe this is about the airpower mat? It will be revolutionary if working as intended.

I think it's more about HomePod and their upcoming "budget HomePod" that was reported to come.

Especially with the news regarding privacy breach from Alexa/Google.

Just Apple flexing its privacy mucscles before CÊS where we know it's gonna be full of smart home devices

TheRaidenPT

Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/the-phone-thats-failing-apple-iphone-xr-11546779603

Interesting article from the wsj on apples recent financial failing. It tied to the Chinese market and the iPhone XR seemingly.

It's not just that but people are staying with their phones more here in west due to the battery program.. Many people found out that by replacing their battery and updating iOS12 would boost their performance so no point of getting rid of their devices..

Heck I upgrade annually and this is the first time I have decided not too because I'm quite happy with my X and only a redesign would convince me to switch

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Will be in the new phone market this year and leaning towards going back to an iPhone...we expecting the 2019 iPhones to just be kinda "more of the same" but just a bit better?

I mean I'm not expecting anything revolutionary but I've been out of the Apple loop so I didn't know if there were any OS changes or anything coming.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Will be in the new phone market this year and leaning towards going back to an iPhone...we expecting the 2019 iPhones to just be kinda "more of the same" but just a bit better?

I mean I'm not expecting anything revolutionary but I've been out of the Apple loop so I didn't know if there were any OS changes or anything coming.
iPad is rumored to have a big software upgrade this year, some stuff might carry over to iPhone too. Other than that, this years iPhone should be a bigger upgrade with an improved and extended rear camera system but there hasn't been much on the rumor mill just yet.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
iPad is rumored to have a big software upgrade this year, some stuff might carry over to iPhone too. Other than that, this years iPhone should be a bigger upgrade with an improved and extended rear camera system but there hasn't been much on the rumor mill just yet.

AirPods 2 supposed to be coming this year too? Def. interested in those...

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
https://www.apple.com/airplay/

Updated airplay 2 page, including these two "fucking FINALLY" features (it's in reference to Smart TVs but I would bet money these features come to the Apple TV as well)

Control it all with a tap.
Use the remote that's always with you — your iPhone. Convenient built-in controls appear in apps, on the Lock screen, and in Control Center. So you can easily play, pause, fast-forward, rewind, and adjust the volume on your TV.

Put Siri in charge of your TV.
With AirPlay 2 and HomeKit, you can use Siri on your iPhone to send a video to your TV.1 Better yet, ask Siri to play a specific show in a specific room.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
Alright dumb question:

If I bought an iPhone X back in September, did I miss a window to purchase AppleCare or can I still buy it?
I think they changed it to where you can purchase it any time within the one-year warranty period of you device, but the plan duration is based off the day you bought your device (IE if you bought the device in September the warranty starts then and it isn't two years starting when you buy it). Also, they usually run a diagnostics test on your phone before you can register the AppleCare plan so you might not be able to purchase it to avoid paying your device repair cost. Your best bet is to download the Apple Store app on your iPhone and see if you can purchase it/what the steps are through the app.

TheRaidenPT

Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
https://www.apple.com/airplay/

Updated airplay 2 page, including these two "fucking FINALLY" features (it's in reference to Smart TVs but I would bet money these features come to the Apple TV as well)

This is great but Samsung TVs ehh... I never got a Apple TV because half of it's services don't work here in Portugal.

However I would LOVE to have Airplay on my next LG OLED TV purchase come 2020!