• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Snell's Apple report card is out: https://sixcolors.com/post/2019/01/apple-in-2018-the-six-colors-report-card/

It's time for our annual look back on Apple's performance during the past year, as seen through the eyes of writers, editors, developers, podcasters, and other people who spend an awful lot of time thinking about Apple.

reportcard-chart-1-6c.png

reportcard-chart-2-6c.png

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Seems like SMS sending is not working for me? I tried with iMessage on/off and also SMS on/off.
With iMessage on and SMS on, it should automatically send an SMS if the reciever does not have an iPhone and/or iMessage enabled, right?

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
I kind of don't know where to search online so hopefully maybe one of you amazing people can help me.

I have a 2009 Macbook Pro 17inch model that i am wanting to sell. I looked on line on steps to do before so i can delete/erase everything. So i guess i erased it wrong and when i try to reinstall the MacOS (OS X) i get to the sign in part and then it tells me "this is no longer available". Other times, after i restart, it would have shown the HardDrive as Locked. So then i looked at other steps and erased it again.

Other searches advised to bring it in an apple store with a receipt. Well, its about 10 years ago when my step dad bought it at best buy. So i dont have that option available.

Any advise? =/

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if this is because I use an eGPU or if it's a bug in Mojave, but sometimes Expose and switching between full screen apps just stops working for a little bit. Like, right now I am stuck with Safari on my main screen and can't switch to anything else until this bug stops (usually just a minute, but it's still strange).

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I kind of don't know where to search online so hopefully maybe one of you amazing people can help me.

I have a 2009 Macbook Pro 17inch model that i am wanting to sell. I looked on line on steps to do before so i can delete/erase everything. So i guess i erased it wrong and when i try to reinstall the MacOS (OS X) i get to the sign in part and then it tells me "this is no longer available". Other times, after i restart, it would have shown the HardDrive as Locked. So then i looked at other steps and erased it again.

Other searches advised to bring it in an apple store with a receipt. Well, its about 10 years ago when my step dad bought it at best buy. So i dont have that option available.

Any advise? =/

Can you walk me through exactly how you deleted your stuff, what you're doing now to reinstall, and what you're seeing? The Locked sign could mean a couple different things depending on the context.

What weather app would you folks recommend? Don't mind if it's paid (no monthly tho), should support widgets.

Carrot! Free tier is great and fully featured, the optional payments (either $2 or $10 a year) are for other data sources and Apple Watch complication support and other goodies.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What weather app would you folks recommend? Don't mind if it's paid (no monthly tho), should support widgets.

Carrot is good (and requires a sub for premium features), as mentioned above, but just FYI the reason weather apps are now mostly subscription based is that access to the underlying weather sources is pricey and on a per-access basis, so a flat fee can't really cover costs in perpetuity.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Can you walk me through exactly how you deleted your stuff, what you're doing now to reinstall, and what you're seeing? The Locked sign could mean a couple different things depending on the context.

Carrot! Free tier is great and fully featured, the optional payments (either $2 or $10 a year) are for other data sources and Apple Watch complication support and other goodies.

thanks for replying! i figured it out and the biggest thing was for me to remember my old apple id when i first got the macbook. my only apple product and i only used it for final cut and after effects yeaaarss ago. but i guess this model doesnt sell well :(

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
thanks for replying! i figured it out and the biggest thing was for me to remember my old apple id when i first got the macbook. my only apple product and i only used it for final cut and after effects yeaaarss ago. but i guess this model doesnt sell well :(

Yeah, they haven't made a 17-inch since 2011, so I have to imagine the demand isn't super high for them? 2009 is even tougher

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Got my Red iPhone 8 from Swappa today; freakin gorgeous color!

It's a much more comfortable size already than my XS Max. I'll miss that huge, gorgeous oled screen, but the 8's screen is pretty great too so far (I do wish Apple would make 1080p their minimum res, but oh well). Plus I haven't even had it a day and I'm loving having a fingerprint sensor again. I also like swiping up from the bottom to get to the shortcut buttons more than the XS's top right.

The Max might be the last phone I buy new too, or at least day one at full price. It's just not worth it when phone prices keep getting higher and the quality of the cheaper ones are staying so high.

Last edited:

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
That iMessage probem really blows. If I deactivate it, also normal SMS does not work... something must be up.
I will try to reset the whole phone in the evening but I do't think it's an issue with the phone itself.

I contacted my carrier also.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Carrot is good (and requires a sub for premium features), as mentioned above, but just FYI the reason weather apps are now mostly subscription based is that access to the underlying weather sources is pricey and on a per-access basis, so a flat fee can't really cover costs in perpetuity.
Do any of them let you use your own api key? Plenty of services like WeatherUndergoround and DarkSky let people access their data for free that way...

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017

Thanks Fliesen, Number45, Zeyphersan for your time and answers. I tried the method Zeyphersan linked, but tthe option to erase the hd is greyed out on my old 'book. I also worked my way thru the steps to put Snow Leopard on a USB and starting the macbook with that, but that didn't work out either - I thought I had it figured out when it turned out I had to choose Guid Partition Table in stead of MBR, but no dice. I think I'm giving up, unless I can find some old cd's with Snow Leopard or older on it :/.

Jill Sandwich

Oct 25, 2017
Well it finally happened. I got a series 4 watch for my birthday yesterday and this morning it slipped off the bathroom shelf onto the tiles. It's a write off. I don't have AppleCare but I think I've buggered that up by going on online chat and speaking to someone at Apple inquiring about screen repairs. Ouch - 269 coins. They'll have my email and serial now if I try and buy AppleCare and making a claim wouldn't they? Could I get my gf to do it?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks Fliesen, Number45, Zeyphersan for your time and answers. I tried the method Zeyphersan linked, but tthe option to erase the hd is greyed out on my old 'book. I also worked my way thru the steps to put Snow Leopard on a USB and starting the macbook with that, but that didn't work out either - I thought I had it figured out when it turned out I had to choose Guid Partition Table in stead of MBR, but no dice. I think I'm giving up, unless I can find some old cd's with Snow Leopard or older on it :/.

hmmm, it should be rather straightforward.
If you were to download the EL Capitan Installer, you can actually use a single terminal command to make a bootable USB installer.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Well it finally happened. I got a series 4 watch for my birthday yesterday and this morning it slipped off the bathroom shelf onto the tiles. It's a write off. I don't have AppleCare but I think I've buggered that up by going on online chat and speaking to someone at Apple inquiring about screen repairs. Ouch - 269 coins. They'll have my email and serial now if I try and buy AppleCare and making a claim wouldn't they? Could I get my gf to do it?

you wrecked your watch after a single day?! ouch.
... Also ... Happy belated birthday :/

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
Ever used an iPad on a long trip as your main computer?

I'm away for a month on a trip and considering just bringing my iPad Air 2 and an Apple wireless keyboard as my computer.

I'm trying to think of what I would use my MacBook Pro for that my iPad can't do, and outside of having a trackpad to navigate with, I'm drawing a blank.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017

I'm away for a month on a trip and considering just bringing my iPad Air 2 and an Apple wireless keyboard as my computer.

I'm trying to think of what I would use my MacBook Pro for that my iPad can't do, and outside of having a trackpad to navigate with, I'm drawing a blank.
You'll probably be good if there's no situations you can think of for requiring a Mac/PC.

In my case there's occasionally some work I need to do that requires a Windows computer, but these days it's easy to download movies and music/podcasts without needing a full computer. I also find some stuff to just be easier with a normal computer, like certain webpages that might load weird on iOS or have printing issues if you need a paper ticket or something.

Maybe if you're expecting to take a TON of photos on your trip and depending on your phone's storage you might need to back it up to a larger storage device. When I was on a month long trip abroad my fiance took an insane amount of photos, but I think she was OK since she backed up her pictures before the trip.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
That iMessage probem really blows. If I deactivate it, also normal SMS does not work... something must be up.
I will try to reset the whole phone in the evening but I do't think it's an issue with the phone itself.

I contacted my carrier also.

Are you getting the little exclamation point 'failed to send' thing?

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017

I've noticed quite a few sites don't work too well on an iPad (all browsers being safari at its core). If you are going to be browsing old ass sites that don't adhere to modern web standards things won't work too well. For me personally for work stuff, there is no way i could give up my lappy since iOS doesn't have things like a native terminal that allows access to the OS. I love it for sitting on the couch and browsing/reading/watching but not sure its a valid work replacement tool.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Yuup, can't tell you how pissed I am. New phone and can't use it properly... will have to send it back for now :(
They offered me a free new number but that's a no-go for me.
This is suuuuper weird. Your number shouldn't really matter ... iMessage just uses your number to send a hidden SMS to Apple's servers, which then associates that number with your account, after that iMessage is entirely based on mobile data.

It's very much like Whatsapp - your phone number is just your "user name" used for discoverability, not really for message delivery.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
This is suuuuper weird. Your number shouldn't really matter ... iMessage just uses your number to send a hidden SMS to Apple's servers, which then associates that number with your account, after that iMessage is entirely based on mobile data.

It's very much like Whatsapp - your phone number is just your "user name" used for discoverability, not really for message delivery.
I know, they explained to me that the ported number has issues with forwarding or something, don't ask me. You can find the issue even on forums, it's very special and seems limited to some carriers here in Austria but also UK.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I know, they explained to me that the ported number has issues with forwarding or something, don't ask me. You can find the issue even on forums, it's very special and seems limited to some carriers here in Austria but also UK.
OOOOOOH wait a second, my girlfriend's dad has a similar issue ... His SIM is on some corporate plan so it has a "Kopfnummer" for phonecalls or whatever but a different one for texts...
He can write SMS / iMessages just fine though - they're just sent from a different number than his phone no.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
So my iPad Pro has problems with videos and links.... when someone posts a Twitter video around here I just can't load it unless I reload the page (I need to start the video seconds after the whole page loads, if I take too long it just doesnt work). Something similar happens in some video streaming websites. It's not just the video itself, any link that is embedded doesn't work (like clicking the twitter username)... Is it just me?

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So my iPad Pro has problems with videos and links.... when someone posts a Twitter video around here I just can't load it unless I reload the page (I need to start the video seconds after the whole page loads, if I take too long it just doesnt work). Something similar happens in some video streaming websites. It's not just the video itself, any link that is embedded doesn't work (like clicking the twitter username)... Is it just me?

Use any content blockers?

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I've always had these issues on my iPad. Assumed it was an Apple codec thing but I have zero knowledge on any of the subject

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Use any content blockers?
I use Chrome but as far as I know it is just a skin on top of Safari, no? And I dont have any addons installed, nor anything on my network blocking anything

I also feel that the touchscreen is off, I need to 'press' it harder than on a phone (I have a Pixel), so lots of times when I am long pressing some link to open in a new tab, it doesnt detect a long press, it just opens the link instead.

infiniteloop

Oct 25, 2017
a report from Gurman, some new stuff, some recycled rumors:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ep-new-3-d-camera-for-2020-iphones-in-ar-push

- 2020 iPhones will have 3D cameras
- 2019 iPhones might have USB-C
- extending Live Photos to 6 seconds of video each side of the pic rather than 3
- iOS 13 will "will include a dark mode, improvements to CarPlay, iPad-specific upgrades like a new home screen, the ability to tab through multiple versions of a single app like pages in a web browser, and improvements to file management."

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ep-new-3-d-camera-for-2020-iphones-in-ar-push

- extending Live Photos to 6 seconds of video each side of the pic rather than 3
- iOS 13 will "will include a dark mode, improvements to CarPlay, iPad-specific upgrades like a new home screen, the ability to tab through multiple versions of a single app like pages in a web browser, and improvements to file management."

Bless up

Small note: right now Live Photo's are 3 seconds total (1.5 before, 1.5 after) and this would make it 6 Total (3 before, 3 after)

Last edited:

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017

3D camera stuff and the longer Live Photos is an actual scoop, as is the tabbed apps thing I think, but the rest of this is likely just compiling rumors from elsewhere. I miss Gurman's massive exclusive news dumps from back when he worked at 9to5mac (though perhaps there's more to come from himas we get closer to WWDC).

I'm fully of the mind that - as the iPhones become more and more of a featureless slab of glass - yes, cameras will continue to matter (as will any other sensors that feed input to the device), but improvements to iOS itself are going to become the main thing that drives iPhone loyalty and purchases.

Dark mode is basically expected but will be nice; a homescreen redesign is awfully interesting because it could go in any number of directions; but it sure would be nice to hear more about improvements to the stock Apple apps (especially mail/contacts/calendars/reminders), improvements to Siri, features to help Apple Music catch up to Spotify on the social/suggestions front, et cetera. Doesn't sound like Gurman knows very much about the software side of things, though.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
That means I need to hold my phone up longer before and after when I'm doing Live Photo's. Hate when it catches me lifting into place or moving the phone away.

USB C is welcome. Can get rid of a ton of cables.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That means I need to hold my phone up longer before and after when I'm doing Live Photo's. Hate when it catches me lifting into place or moving the phone away.

USB C is welcome. Can get rid of a ton of cables.

They did some stuff in an earlier iOS update that cuts off the Live Photo if it detects you put your phone down after the picture. It's not perfect but it used to be way worse