• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Is there any expectation of a regular (not pro) 5K iMac redesign or refresh this year? I'm strongly considering getting one in the second half of the year but the current models are a bit old IMO.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
a report from Gurman, some new stuff, some recycled rumors:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ep-new-3-d-camera-for-2020-iphones-in-ar-push

- 2020 iPhones will have 3D cameras
- 2019 iPhones might have USB-C
- extending Live Photos to 6 seconds of video each side of the pic rather than 3
- iOS 13 will "will include a dark mode, improvements to CarPlay, iPad-specific upgrades like a new home screen, the ability to tab through multiple versions of a single app like pages in a web browser, and improvements to file management."

I don't care about CarPlay, but the rest of these I'd love. Just got paid yesterday, now would probably be a good time to start saving for a 2019 iPhone.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Can probably see me just getting an XS Max after the price drop when the new phones come out this year if there's no substantial differences with the new Max like there was with the previous Plus models. I've currently got an X so there was no real reason to upgrade last year. I've been tempted to just do the iPhone Upgrade program for a while now but I'm still not sure about all of that and how it works exactly.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Have they announced which markets they're dropping the price for? I assumed it would be mostly smaller/emerging markets.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Regarding my iMessage problem... I contacted Apple and all I got was try a reset, try a reboot, try a new SIM card.
I now have a new SIM card and it's still not working... I never heard of a hardware problem where SMS would net get sent. I am thinking iOS problem because some users on twitter seem to contact Apple support for similar problems (connection, data dropping). This is so bad... I don't want to return my XR :-(

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Is there any popular suggestions to make CarPlay better? I like it but I kind of want more from it I just don't know what. Part of the problem is how complicated can you make something that isn't supposed to distract you from the road.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any popular suggestions to make CarPlay better? I like it but I kind of want more from it I just don't know what. Part of the problem is how complicated can you make something that isn't supposed to distract you from the road.
What sort of things are you looking for? I find Siri takes care of most of what I need, and any complicated routes I'll usually setup before I get going (or better still get it ready on your phone and it'll automatically popup on CarPlay when it connects).

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Regarding my iMessage problem... I contacted Apple and all I got was try a reset, try a reboot, try a new SIM card.
I now have a new SIM card and it's still not working... I never heard of a hardware problem where SMS would net get sent. I am thinking iOS problem because some users on twitter seem to contact Apple support for similar problems (connection, data dropping). This is so bad... I don't want to return my XR :-(

Given what you've told us, I'm likely to believe that what your carrier told you is correct and it's on them. There is no hardware reason why SMS wouldn't get sent, so it sounds like their issues with a ported number are what's doing it

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
It might be possible to use another SIM/number for iMessage and keep your other for default SMS, calling etc? I haven't used dual SIM so I wouldn't know but in theory this seems like it should work.

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Haven't really kept up with monitors but does anyone have a recommendation for a decent USB-C monitor that I can pair with my iMac? 24-27inches, would like at least 1440p but I guess for something that small it doesn't matter so much. I just need something that I can put next to my iMac that will have my email, slack, scripts for work on it while I work on the main monitor.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Haven't really kept up with monitors but does anyone have a recommendation for a decent USB-C monitor that I can pair with my iMac? 24-27inches, would like at least 1440p but I guess for something that small it doesn't matter so much. I just need something that I can put next to my iMac that will have my email, slack, scripts for work on it while I work on the main monitor.

USB-C specifically? 9to5 has an article with up-to-date recommendations

https://9to5mac.com/2018/12/11/best...PYnlCS2Q1NXdRT28yM0huQldOQXFPX3lJdjd6M2NTdXE.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone have experience with recording audio straight from an iPhone into Logic/GarageBand?

There's a workout I really like in the Nike Training Club app, but their Watch app sucks, and I often like to go to the gym with just my Watch. I was hoping to record the output into a track, then add that track to iTunes, then sync it from my phone to the Watch.

What happens when I hook my phone up to the line-in on my Mac, is that both garageband and logic see the phone as a source of line-in and an external microphone in its own right, so nothing gets captured properly. Also there's some weird clicking feedback every second or so, don't know what that's about.

Worst case scenario is I airplay the track to a big speaker and record it into my iPad, but I'd rather get a clean recording if at all possible.

iPhone XS->Lightning to 3.5mm->3.5mm cable that came with Beats->iMac 2017

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have experience with recording audio straight from an iPhone into Logic/GarageBand?

There's a workout I really like in the Nike Training Club app, but their Watch app sucks, and I often like to go to the gym with just my Watch. I was hoping to record the output into a track, then add that track to iTunes, then sync it from my phone to the Watch.

What happens when I hook my phone up to the line-in on my Mac, is that both garageband and logic see the phone as a source of line-in and an external microphone in its own right, so nothing gets captured properly. Also there's some weird clicking feedback every second or so, don't know what that's about.

Worst case scenario is I airplay the track to a big speaker and record it into my iPad, but I'd rather get a clean recording if at all possible.

iPhone XS->Lightning to 3.5mm->3.5mm cable that came with Beats->iMac 2017

I think the clicky thing is something I experienced the other day with my Bose headphones—I was getting this noise every few seconds. That lead me to some forums and then this solution, which worked for me: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/headphone-adapter-clicking.1998128/#post-25477088

Basically it seems like if the audio device has inputs and outputs the 3.5mm to lightning adapter doesn't immediately know what is what.

Anyhow, to record the audio you should just be able to open up Quicktime Player and start a new audio recording when your phone's connected and make the track that way.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
a report from Gurman, some new stuff, some recycled rumors:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ep-new-3-d-camera-for-2020-iphones-in-ar-push

- 2020 iPhones will have 3D cameras
- 2019 iPhones might have USB-C
- extending Live Photos to 6 seconds of video each side of the pic rather than 3
- iOS 13 will "will include a dark mode, improvements to CarPlay, iPad-specific upgrades like a new home screen, the ability to tab through multiple versions of a single app like pages in a web browser, and improvements to file management."

Looks like a big update, especially if they pull through on those iPad-specific updates.

CarPlay needs some serious updates, and I've only really been using it for a month now lol.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the clicky thing is something I experienced the other day with my Bose headphones—I was getting this noise every few seconds. That lead me to some forums and then this solution, which worked for me: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/headphone-adapter-clicking.1998128/#post-25477088

Basically it seems like if the audio device has inputs and outputs the 3.5mm to lightning adapter doesn't immediately know what is what.

Anyhow, to record the audio you should just be able to open up Quicktime Player and start a new audio recording when your phone's connected and make the track that way.

Thank you for the tip, I'll try that when I get home. Lord knows I didn't even think of QuickTime as a solution

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
It might be possible to use another SIM/number for iMessage and keep your other for default SMS, calling etc? I haven't used dual SIM so I wouldn't know but in theory this seems like it should work.
It's a good idea, but no, the same number would be used for calls/SMS/iMessage/FaceTime. More details here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209044

New findings. Apparently the problems lies in the contacts, as contacts who aren't in my contacts list get my messages. This is getting weirder and weirder... No idea how to fix this, as my contacts sync with Outlook.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
New findings. Apparently the problems lies in the contacts, as contacts who aren't in my contacts list get my messages. This is getting weirder and weirder... No idea how to fix this, as my contacts sync with Outlook.

Hmmm, maybe try migrating a few contacts to iCloud.
Any specific formatting on the numbers on the contacts in iCloud? like, spacebars, country codes, brackets? :/

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Hmmm, maybe try migrating a few contacts to iCloud.
Any specific formatting on the numbers on the contacts in iCloud? like, spacebars, country codes, brackets? :/
Numbers are without area code, but like I posted above - it works if I choose a number without contact. Also why does recieving work but sending not... I just hate this :( Sorry to bother you all with this btw. but I am out of ideas - as is Apple and my carrier, haha.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Numbers are without area code, but like I posted above - it works if I choose a number without contact. Also why does recieving work but sending not... I just hate this :( Sorry to bother you all with this btw. but I am out of ideas - as is Apple and my carrier, haha.

What if you replicate a contact, but on your iCloud address book?
As in - manually create a contact, add the very same number, and then try.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I got this one last month and it's great so far https://www.samsung.com/uk/monitors/monitor-s24h850-ls24h850qfuxen/

Book One

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe try testing and adding area code to one of those then start a new message thread to the updated contact.

Or try adding full number/area code as another number in the contact and try sending message to that?

Erebus

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Europe
What email client are you guys using for Mac?

I use outlook on iOS but it's not free on MacOS iirc.

Also any good free Office alternatives?

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I use Spark because I was using that on my iPhone as well (before I switched to Outlook)

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Oof, Photos.app just suggested to share some analog photos I recently scanned with the persons in them - they have been gone for years though.

Couldn't manage to find anything on this particular situation. I still want the photos in my library and still want them to be associated to the contact, I just wish it would let me exclude persons from these AI shenanigans.

I'll send feedback in any case

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I really want a 15" Macbook Pro but one where they have fixed the silly keyboard issues once and for all...

I've been using this 13" Retina MBP for over 6 years now and it works perfectly fine, but it's having a hard time scrubbing through (and storing...) the 4k60 videos my iPhone shoots

Oof, Photos.app just suggested to share some analog photos I recently scanned with the persons in them - they have been gone for years though.

Couldn't manage to find anything on this particular situation. I still want the photos in my library and still want them to be associated to the contact, I just wish it would let me exclude persons from these AI shenanigans.

I'll send feedback in any case

Yup, it's not a bad idea - maybe they could add a field like "Date of death" (what do you call that one anyways?) and have Siri suggestions ignore deceased contacts.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
My Apple wireless keyboard refused to connect to my Mac mini out of nowhere. It just kept blinking. I'm trying to replace the batteries, but the second one is stuck inside and I can't get it out.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Something weird happened with my 2013 MacBook Air. I'm planning on selling it so I went to log in with my password and it kept saying it was wrong but what I was typing was 100% right. Tried starting up in recovery mode with Command + R so I could change the password using Terminal but Command + R was doing nothing. Thought fuck it I'll just use Internet recovery which I managed to get into but it kept crapping out when it got to a certain point and giving out error messages. So then I thought fuck it I'll make a bootable recovery drive with a spare USB on my Pro which did...something and I managed to actually get to the terminal and change the password which it then said was wrong again(!). Changed the password again in recovery and this time made it show what keys I was typing and for some reason caps lock was permanently on and there was some sort of lock on the numbers making 1, 2, 3 etc. type as !, @, £ so I was basically typing gibberish when I thought I was typing my password.

Is there some sort of button combination that turns that on that I accidentally pressed or something? Really weird. I've turned off needing a password when waking it from sleep or whatever just incase it happens again. Thought it might be a problem with the keyboard but I tried it out typing in notes and it was working fine in that, just seems to be specific to the password input on login and when creating a new password.

Erebus

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Europe
Is there any Stylus equivalent for Safari? I want to use DarkEra 2.0 but I can't justify installing Chrome on my new MBA just for using Stylus.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I've moved on from my old 2010 Mac Pro (heavily upgraded) as Apple abandoned the space. I've moved enough stuff to Windows that I can't see paying the premium for the new one that's due later this year (maybe?).

My 2010 died, replaced an SSD and thought I had it.. worked for about a month and now it's not working again. We had a power outage and I'd been too lazy to move it back into the regular spot (on UPS) so it could be that.

Now I'm thinking just grab a new Mini to run the handful of apps I still need there. Lots of deals on the base model, so thinking I might grab that and just run it from an external SSD. I also would like 10GbE but don't want to pay the custom premium so might just get a Thunderbolt 3 to 10GbE adapter.

The whole thing sounds messy though.

Pretty much down to:
-Base model on discount, external SSD and TB3 to network
-Base i5 model for extra storage and 6 core CPU, still need external SSD and TB3 to network adapter, but get more CPU and better resale later
-All-in custom to reduce clutter and drain my wallet. I still don't think I'd pay Apple's storage prices, so still external storage.

My thought on internal vs external 10GbE is mostly that when I move on from the device, the next user likely won't care about it. Meanwhile I can just move the adapter to a new device. So ugly but more long term practical. On paper the $100 upgrade is worth it, but not after giving up the extra $100 discounts going around on base models.

So yeah this is mostly me just thinking it through.

Last edited:

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
I want to be my girlfriend the new iPad Pro (11 inch, wifi, 64gb)
Are there any news on the bending issues? I remember reading some of them came bent out of the box, and can probably get bent during what's considered normal use as well? Is it worth the risk? I figure they might change their stance and offer a replacement program down the line?

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I want to be my girlfriend the new iPad Pro (11 inch, wifi, 64gb)
Are there any news on the bending issues? I remember reading some of them came bent out of the box, and can probably get bent during what's considered normal use as well? Is it worth the risk? I figure they might change their stance and offer a replacement program down the line?
Mostly was reported on 12.9 to begin with. I don't think anyone on Era has reported the issue, so you are probably good. If it comes bend, just return it to the store.

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hello everyone!

I have a MacBook Pro 2015 13' and I noticed the anti-reflective coating is peeling off. I know Apple did a trade program for that but this Mac was bought from a friend who bought it at an Apple premium reseller (we don't have Apple Stores in Portugal). Would my Mac be eligible for the program? The friend I bought it from even gave me the bill (I have it digital).

Last edited:

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hello everyone!

I have a MacBook Pro 2015 13' and I noticed the anti-reflective coating is peeling off. I know Apple did a trade program for that but this Mac was bought from a friend who bought it at an Apple premium reseller (we don't have Apple Stores in Portugal). Would my Mac be eligible for the program? The friend I bought it from even gave me the bill (I have it digital).
It's funny because I have a similar situation but for a 2014 one. I stopped caring too much since it's mostly around the webcam and doesn't interfere with the actual display. When I tried to check about it, it seemed to me that Apple is still covering it but they always just refer me to the nearest AASP which is beyond sh*t so it led me to ignore it instead. However I suggest you give it a try. I don't think the invoice will even be needed, and if it is then the name will not be an issue I'm sure.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hello everyone!

Depends on when it was bought. I believe the limit is within three years of the original purchase

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on when it was bought. I believe the limit is within three years of the original purchase

With Apple it never hurts to try. Whether or not you'll get a genius who lets things like that slide is entirely a crapshoot but I've had some luck.

I've moved on from my old 2010 Mac Pro (heavily upgraded) as Apple abandoned the space. I've moved enough stuff to Windows that I can't see paying the premium for the new one that's due later this year (maybe?).

My 2010 died, replaced an SSD and thought I had it.. worked for about a month and now it's not working again. We had a power outage and I'd been too lazy to move it back into the regular spot (on UPS) so it could be that.

Now I'm thinking just grab a new Mini to run the handful of apps I still need there. Lots of deals on the base model, so thinking I might grab that and just run it from an external SSD. I also would like 10GbE but don't want to pay the custom premium so might just get a Thunderbolt 3 to 10GbE adapter.

The whole thing sounds messy though.

Pretty much down to:
-Base model on discount, external SSD and TB3 to network
-Base i5 model for extra storage and 6 core CPU, still need external SSD and TB3 to network adapter, but get more CPU and better resale later
-All-in custom to reduce clutter and drain my wallet. I still don't think I'd pay Apple's storage prices, so still external storage.

My thought on internal vs external 10GbE is mostly that when I move on from the device, the next user likely won't care about it. Meanwhile I can just move the adapter to a new device. So ugly but more long term practical. On paper the $100 upgrade is worth it, but not after giving up the extra $100 discounts going around on base models.

So yeah this is mostly me just thinking it through.

I've really never had much good come from network adapters, so I'd bite the bullet and get 10gE myself. Storage is easy to buy a USB3 or Thunderbolt bus-powered drive to hang off it and avoid Apple's prices. Even the i3 is going to be a decent bump over the single core of any Mac Pro and close to the multicore of a lot of them (with the caveat that since the thermals are going to be better on the Mac Pro it may still come out ahead in certain situations.)