• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny because I have a similar situation but for a 2014 one. I stopped caring too much since it's mostly around the webcam and doesn't interfere with the actual display. When I tried to check about it, it seemed to me that Apple is still covering it but they always just refer me to the nearest AASP which is beyond sh*t so it led me to ignore it instead. However I suggest you give it a try. I don't think the invoice will even be needed, and if it is then the name will not be an issue I'm sure.
Yeah, I'm going to try and send them an email or call them.

Depends on when it was bought. I believe the limit is within three years of the original purchase
I actually thought it was within 4 years of the purchase. Hmmm, I have to check it out.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Ok.
I'm watching YouTube on my Apple TV. AirPods in my ears to listen.
Now I want to be able to control everything on the TV from my watch.

Remote lets me kind of control it but gives me no volume control that I can find. Now playing gives me volume and play/FF controls but no menu button or touch controls.

Why can't all these features be one app. One screen. Does remote let me do volume and I'm just missing it?

Also my AirPods have been cutting out like mad using them with Apple TV. Doing it as I speak.

What's the go to fix? I turned everything off and on again. Did not help.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ok.
I'm watching YouTube on my Apple TV. AirPods in my ears to listen.
Now I want to be able to control everything on the TV from my watch.

Remote lets me kind of control it but gives me no volume control that I can find. Now playing gives me volume and play/FF controls but no menu button or touch controls.

Why can't all these features be one app. One screen. Does remote let me do volume and I'm just missing it?

Also my AirPods have been cutting out like mad using them with Apple TV. Doing it as I speak.

What's the go to fix? I turned everything off and on again. Did not help.

Yes, the remote app does volume. Use the physical volume buttons in your device

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
That's what I get for skimming posts, didn't see the watch part. Don't think so, but I'll try when I get home

I'm still new to the Apple ecosystem so maybes I'm trying to do something with the wrong app. Like I said now playing has volume on the side knob that works but the controls are more for music where remote u can kinda browse YouTube on ur tv I think

Maybe I'm just being an idiot and should stop using my watch for this stuff I just want everything to work seamless now that Apple has showed me far that can go. You get used to it and I can't believe I spent so long not using this ecosystem

But my AirPods are just a static mess when hooked up to my tv right and this is the first time I had this issue with them but it's not feeling very Apple right now.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Tried every suggestion in here regarding SMS texting and iMessage. The XR will need to go back... :( No idea where the problem comes from really, maybe it really is an iOS or hardware issue.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Does it make sense to turn my iPad on dnd when I leave the house all day so the notifications etc aren't bugging the wife

Or should I be just turning my iPad off?

Speaking of that what is best practice for charging stuff? I always just try to charge it up to full than unplug it when I notice it's done. And I always charge up anything that's near 80 % or lower and I notice as well.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Does it make sense to turn my iPad on dnd when I leave the house all day so the notifications etc aren't bugging the wife

Or should I be just turning my iPad off?
DnD or putting it in airplane mode (which will also help with the battery).

Speaking of that what is best practice for charging stuff? I always just try to charge it up to full than unplug it when I notice it's done. And I always charge up anything that's near 80 % or lower and I notice as well.
I don't think this matters much anymore. I charge when it's low (<20%) or if I think it might run out before I get the chance to charge it again. I'll let it run down occasionally, but I don't think there's a benefit to fully discharging with current battery tech.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Great. Cuz that's how I've been rolling with it.
To expand on this, the phone itself has a management system to make it so you can't overcharge your phone. Essentially current battery technology only has two points where your battery degrades more than it should, the first one is when it's fully charged, the other is when it's fully empty. Both are undesirable. This is why a 100% charge on your phone isn't actually a 100% battery charge, but slightly lower. This is also why your new tech always comes with a half full or more battery, because they charge it to about 80% in the factory, and accounting for natural degredation, it gives them enough of a charge to have on store shelves for years without compromising the battery, even with the device turned off.

It used to be the case that you needed to mind at what point you charged your phone, because it had a sort of memory that could degrade your battery life over time if you kept charging it at the same points, this hasn't been the case for a while, though.

Oct 25, 2017
To expand on this, the phone itself has a management system to make it so you can't overcharge your phone. Essentially current battery technology only has two points where your battery degrades more than it should, the first one is when it's fully charged, the other is when it's fully empty. Both are undesirable. This is why a 100% charge on your phone isn't actually a 100% battery charge, but slightly lower. This is also why your new tech always comes with a half full or more battery, because they charge it to about 80% in the factory, and accounting for natural degredation, it gives them enough of a charge to have on store shelves for years without compromising the battery, even with the device turned off.

It used to be the case that you needed to mind at what point you charged your phone, because it had a sort of memory that could degrade your battery life over time if you kept charging it at the same points, this hasn't been the case for a while, though.

Yep. And to add on to this, storing batteries for extended periods at zero charge makes it increasingly likely it'll never hold a charge again. So if you're going to store stuff long-term, charge it up halfway first.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Yah it is the same thing, messages are green (SMS), no error appears for me, but don't go through to the recipient.

I suppose the only other thing to try would be a reset of the phone, set up as new and manually add contacts into iCloud instead of syncing with outlook. It would suck to go through the effort, but.....

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I suppose the only other thing to try would be a reset of the phone, set up as new and manually add contacts into iCloud instead of syncing with outlook. It would suck to go through the effort, but.....
Fucking hell now it works. I only enabled Outlook contacts, not download them and no iCloud contacts. Now it works... not sure why as I am sure I also tried that before.
Thanks for the suggestion, maybe it was just a hiccup or something, or the Outlook integration is not as fail-safe as it should be. Hope it continues to work, I am kinda nervous about it, hehe.

Oct 25, 2017
I am getting from Calendar on OS X the following error: "The server responded with an error." If I look in the Calendar list, nothing has an error. On my phone, everything seems to be working fine. In fact, outside of the error, the Calendar on my notebook looks fine.

Any ideas?

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Migrating to iCloud. How should I upload a huge bulk of photos to iCloud on PC? The webapp is horrible as it keeps crashing and there is no way of telling which photos got uploaded and which not.
The iCloud PC application does not support folders for upload or any convenient way to just upload photos... I end up uploading bulks of 10 photos at a time, this is not fun...

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Migrating to iCloud. How should I upload a huge bulk of photos to iCloud on PC? The webapp is horrible as it keeps crashing and there is no way of telling which photos got uploaded and which not.
The iCloud PC application does not support folders for upload or any convenient way to just upload photos... I end up uploading bulks of 10 photos at a time, this is not fun...

The PC app should totally have an uploads folder, check the settings to see where it put it

On the watch? I'm finding the dial on the side not to change volume. I'll try again.

Nope not seeing it working on YouTube on watch. I guess I'll try other apps on AppleTV

To answer your question, there does not appear to be a way to adjust the Apple TV volume from the Watch

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
So, I have a Seagate 3tb external HD that I've been using for movies and photos, but recently the usb out port has become faulty and required for it to be in just perfectly in order for it to register. So today I went out and bought a Manhattan 3.5" enclosure for it, but now when I plug it into my MacBook Air, it says the disc is unreadable. And of course, when removing it from the previous housing, I snapped a part of the enclosure chip so I can't revert it back to that now. Any help?

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
The PC app should totally have an uploads folder, check the settings to see where it put it
The problem is that it uploads it to the general stream and I don't have a chance to sort/put them into folders right out the gate with this upload thing. Also seems like there is a upload size limit? big photos don't get uploaded, small ones do. Gosh Apple...

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking hell now it works. I only enabled Outlook contacts, not download them and no iCloud contacts. Now it works... not sure why as I am sure I also tried that before.
Thanks for the suggestion, maybe it was just a hiccup or something, or the Outlook integration is not as fail-safe as it should be. Hope it continues to work, I am kinda nervous about it, hehe.

ha, success! i figured we could stumble into a solution somehow lol. glad it's working for you though

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that it uploads it to the general stream and I don't have a chance to sort/put them into folders right out the gate with this upload thing. Also seems like there is a upload size limit? big photos don't get uploaded, small ones do. Gosh Apple...

i've never been a big fan of the pc icloud integration. (at least, going from PC-icloud-iphone and not in reverse). and honestly because icloud photo storage ties so directly with the phone i don't use it as the primary storage (ie when i want to delete some space on the phone itself i don't want to get rid of the photo altogether).

Do you have OneDrive? I basically use it as my cloud photo storage. The iphone app is solid, i also have it backing up my camera roll off the phone and it's very easy to access and reference my file system through it when needed. It's also (obviously) much easier to sort/store with a PC.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
i've never been a big fan of the pc icloud integration. (at least, going from PC-icloud-iphone and not in reverse). and honestly because icloud photo storage ties so directly with the phone i don't use it as the primary storage (ie when i want to delete some space on the phone itself i don't want to get rid of the photo altogether).

Do you have OneDrive? I basically use it as my cloud photo storage. The iphone app is solid, i also have it backing up my camera roll off the phone and it's very easy to access and reference my file system through it when needed. It's also (obviously) much easier to sort/store with a PC.
I use OneDrive a lot actually, I just thought that iCloud Photos would be a smoother integration with the Phone. I will give it a try!

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Must be a problem of the PC iCloud app, I only ever use iCloud Drive on Windows and it works fine. I guess it's just apple neglecting Windows heh. Importing photos to your iCloud library on macOS is as simple as dragging and dropping them into the photos app where you can immediately categorize, tag, edit etc them. Haven't run into any size limits with my few thousand imports from various sources fwiw.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
So, I have a Seagate 3tb external HD that I've been using for movies and photos, but recently the usb out port has become faulty and required for it to be in just perfectly in order for it to register. So today I went out and bought a Manhattan 3.5" enclosure for it, but now when I plug it into my MacBook Air, it says the disc is unreadable. And of course, when removing it from the previous housing, I snapped a part of the enclosure chip so I can't revert it back to that now. Any help?
I guess pics of what's broken and the new stuff?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
How does macOS play with external storage? Prices for the Mac Mini have slowly dropped to relatively reasonable realms and I finally want to replace my clamshell 12" rMB with a more powerful Mac. I've been fine with the 256GB on that so I won't buy a higher capacity Mac mini but curious if I ever really need more permanent storage.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
How does macOS play with external storage? Prices for the Mac Mini have slowly dropped to relatively reasonable realms and I finally want to replace my clamshell 12" rMB with a more powerful Mac. I've been fine with the 256GB on that so I won't buy a higher capacity Mac mini but curious if I ever really need more permanent storage.

It plays well. In fact I'm seriously considering a base i3 Mini and I'll just ignore the internal SSD in favor of an external Thunderbolt 3 device.

My issue is that I'm seeing sales on the 2 pre-config models, but I have a 10GbE network. Despite not using a lot of processing power, I've become spoiled by having a faster network between my devices and NAS. Once I add that option, I'm into custom territory.. sale savings out the window, plus the extra $100.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
So I gave my XR back today since I already signed to give it back, also got a full refund.
Now that everything works I would still like to buy an iPhone. I was looking at available iPhones there and I kinda also liked the 8 Plus. I would miss some things but prefer others, kinda hard to decide.
The XR is more "fun" but iOS feels more consistent with the button design, especially the keyboard area can look weird on the "X and newer" phones. I do like less bezels even tho I dislike the notch. In terms of money it would be a wash really for me.

Does Apple usually offer trade-ins with new phones coming out or is this special with the XS and XR?

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Similar to the above question.

Should I get my mother, who is not technologically inclined at all, an 8 Plus or an XR?

She's currently using a 6 Plus and I'm worried about her having to learn how to use the phone again with no home button.
I know it was easy for me to transition but could be a challeng for her.

Also, which camera do you think is better? I'm thinking the dual setup on 8 Plus.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

Should I get my mother, who is not technologically inclined at all, an 8 Plus or an XR?

She's currently using a 6 Plus and I'm worried about her having to learn how to use the phone again with no home button.

Also, which camera do you think is better? I'm thinking the dual setup on 8 Plus.

I prepped and shipped my mom an iPad Pro 11 to replace her old iPad Air. She's 70 and has gotten along just fine without a home button, and with little assistance. My wife showed her a month or so earlier how to get around with no home button and that was it. YMMV.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
So I gave my XR back today since I already signed to give it back, also got a full refund.
Now that everything works I would still like to buy an iPhone. I was looking at available iPhones there and I kinda also liked the 8 Plus. I would miss some things but prefer others, kinda hard to decide.
The XR is more "fun" but iOS feels more consistent with the button design, especially the keyboard area can look weird on the "X and newer" phones. I do like less bezels even tho I dislike the notch. In terms of money it would be a wash really for me.

Does Apple usually offer trade-ins with new phones coming out or is this special with the XS and XR?
I would really struggle to go back to a button based iPhone. Gestures for life, so smooth.
Whenever I hold my wife's 7 I am initially confused about the lack of swiping...

Oct 25, 2017

The 8 Plus is certainly probably the easier sell. I got used to the gestures on the XS in a day (besides the dumb control center being less convenient) but that's probably not realistic for older non-tech people. It'll just be the same phone but better for her.

They've always offered the trade-ins. Them pushing it so hard was what was new this year.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I prepped and shipped my mom an iPad Pro 11 to replace her old iPad Air. She's 70 and has gotten along just fine without a home button, and with little assistance. My wife showed her a month or so earlier how to get around with no home button and that was it. YMMV.
My goddaughter (10) picked up and immediately starting using it. Didn't need any explanation, saw the bar, started interacting with it. I was quite stunned. Told me the gesture based interface is just very intuitive for people.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
So my son got his headphone 3.5mm jack broken off inside his iPad. I watched a bunch of YouTube videos and it looks like it is in there pretty good. Not sure if I can get it out.

Is there any way to force the iPad to output sound to the speakers in software?

Besides not being able to use wired headphones, the biggest problem now is that the iPad won't make any sound because it is trying to output all sound to headphones....

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
I have mine set up with two dual drive USB-C enclosures, 1 SSD + 1 HDD in each, with my user folder entirely on one of the external SSDs. It's been fine...but I don't sleep my computer. Not that I know for sure if it'd have issues, but I've heard enough in the past (like drives unmounting) that I just leave it on. It's something that varies wildly with enclosure probably.
It plays well. In fact I'm seriously considering a base i3 Mini and I'll just ignore the internal SSD in favor of an external Thunderbolt 3 device.

My issue is that I'm seeing sales on the 2 pre-config models, but I have a 10GbE network. Despite not using a lot of processing power, I've become spoiled by having a faster network between my devices and NAS. Once I add that option, I'm into custom territory.. sale savings out the window, plus the extra $100.
Got tax too where you're ordering from? Is there tax from B&H or Adorama or wherever? Cause if it's a tax vs no tax thing, you can option order 10GbE from those places. May not get the normal deal they have going on but you'll still save a chunk on tax at least.
So my son got his headphone 3.5mm jack broken off inside his iPad. I watched a bunch of YouTube videos and it looks like it is in there pretty good. Not sure if I can get it out.

Is there any way to force the iPad to output sound to the speakers in software?

Besides not being able to use wired headphones, the biggest problem now is that the iPad won't make any sound because it is trying to output all sound to headphones....
Dang. Closest thing I can think of is using Bluetooth/AirPlay for sound. I'm assuming that'll work as an option, can't say I've ever actually needed to try that though.
What exactly do you think Ahrendts did that was bad, and what makes you think they're going to substantially change course?
I'd guess something to do with the service experience, but I'm not sure you can put that on her as much as just Apple becoming massive and pushing to control costs and selling services, along with changes in the products themselves affecting things like repairability, time, and cost. Store to store experiences can vary too, my local one has been fine, but I've heard some crappy stuff from others.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Anyone here use a HomePod and Apple TV? I'm looking to get the Apple TV and would like to use the HomePod as a speaker. Is there a delay?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here use a HomePod and Apple TV? I'm looking to get the Apple TV and would like to use the HomePod as a speaker. Is there a delay?

I'd say it's slight but present. I think it would depend on what else is in your chain.

I leave the TV audio on while I stream sports audio to my office HomePod. Then I can migrate back and forth depending on the action.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Video apps Account for the Delay of AirPlay by pre buffering a second before they start playback. I've never experienced lips out of sync or whatever personally. Note that because of that you can only use the HomePod for audio and video playback, system control sounds and games will still go through your TV.