• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Pickleslips

Jan 25, 2018
Ok so this has shit me for yonks, but how is it that in 2019 you can't auto sort your apps on your iphone. By alpha, bunch them by type or keywords into folders, and also why arent folders just full screens? Absolute horseshit.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
So my son got his headphone 3.5mm jack broken off inside his iPad. I watched a bunch of YouTube videos and it looks like it is in there pretty good. Not sure if I can get it out.

Is there any way to force the iPad to output sound to the speakers in software?

Besides not being able to use wired headphones, the biggest problem now is that the iPad won't make any sound because it is trying to output all sound to headphones....
Honestly, this is probably a fairly easy fix for a 3rd party repair shop. Might just be worth it over the bother of workarounds.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Ugh, FINALLY managed to get a screen protector installed on my iPhone 8 buddle and dust a free. Took 7 protectors to finally get it right.

Don't know why it was so much harder for the 8 than any other way phones I've done. My S9+ only took one try with the Domeglass one (pretty much the only curved one that works at all), then my XS Max I got on the first or maybe second try.
I feel like a smaller screen should have had less opportunity to get dust and crap under the protector.

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, FINALLY managed to get a screen protector installed on my iPhone 8 buddle and dust a free. Took 7 protectors to finally get it right.

Don't know why it was so much harder for the 8 than any other way phones I've done. My S9+ only took one try with the Domeglass one (pretty much the only curved one that works at all), then my XS Max I got on the first or maybe second try.
I feel like a smaller screen should have had less opportunity to get dust and crap under the protector.
Were you applying them around the same time or similar conditions? I've never had any issues with dust under the screen, but I've usually just been applying a protector when new and then applying another one right after I take the old cracked one off. Got a pile of the dust stickers I've never used.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Were you applying them around the same time or similar conditions? I've never had any issues with dust under the screen, but I've usually just been applying a protector when new and then applying another one right after I take the old cracked one off. Got a pile of the dust stickers I've never used.
I was my own fault for most of them. The first two pack I bought I tried putting them on in my living room with animals and dust.

Then I tried it in my bathroom away which had less dust, but still enough to get a little bit, I also messed up the alignment of some of placements as well, and when I went to readjust them I guess I pealed it too hard and the corner would adhere properly. Some of them seriously felt like the second I took the sticker off the protector, a speck of dust or something would magnitize to the sticky side and ruin it instantly.

This last time I did everything I could think of. Ran a hot shower to hopefully get the dust out of the air, watched a video showing how to install things well (I was focusing on one side and dropping it to the other side, he recommended holding top and bottom and then aligning as close to the device as possible), and finally I got it.

Thank god screen protectors are fairly cheap (except those curved Domeglass ones, but those do come with a UV lamp).

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Got a crystal clear silicon case for my XR, it#s actually pretty nice and you can see the color. Thinking of glass protector too but I usually don't like them... will give it a try tho.
Also a question - I started using SwiftKey and I like it, but it's obviously not as feature-rich as on Android. I miss the size options and the numbers key. Also weird that the standard keyboard does not have a quick emoji key.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Got a crystal clear silicon case for my XR, it#s actually pretty nice and you can see the color. Thinking of glass protector too but I usually don't like them... will give it a try tho.
Also a question - I started using SwiftKey and I like it, but it's obviously not as feature-rich as on Android. I miss the size options and the numbers key. Also weird that the standard keyboard does not have a quick emoji key.
I most miss the option to have alternate characters when you hold keys down and vibrate on key press.

But I do use SwiftKey as my main keyboard these days, the predictions tend to be better than the regular keyboard and holding the period key to get a few extra characters.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Ordered a camo dbrand skin for my iPhone 8. It looks slick as fuck so I hope it's easy to install.

I most miss the option to have alternate characters when you hold keys down and vibrate on key press.

But I do use SwiftKey as my main keyboard these days, the predictions tend to be better than the regular keyboard and holding the period key to get a few extra characters.

Yah, vibrate on key press was nice.

I can't live without autocorrect and the stock keyboard's autocorrect for Finnish sucks ass (no predictions of any sort, just slow and clunky autocorrect), so I'm also stuck with SwiftKey as my main keyboard. Wish 3rd party keyboards were better on the iPhone.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if any of you guys remember my thread a while back (last year) about my fore into trying to get the 60€ refund from Apple regarding the battery replacements. Long story short I escalated the matter (matter of principle, any Finns here will know this) to the local consumer protection agency in Finland. I finally received an email from said agency which included the mail they received from Apple. Apple is saying they're refusing the refund since the phone had no technical problems at any point. huh??? Why does the phone need to have any technical problems to be eligible for the refund? :D Will be interesting to see what the consumer protection agency has to say about this.

I've mailed and even the Apple authorized repair store has mailed Apple the receipts etc from my battery replacement. They have the serial numbers of the battery that was replaced and from the one that was taken out, everything is documented regarding the replacement.

Last edited:

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone else had issues with the Apple Watch's calorie counting being way off?
I walked about 7 miles yesterday, about 13,000 steps. Tracking this via a workout correctly shows about 700-ish active calories which makes sense.

However, the move ring shows 1,366 active calories burned for the day. I find it hard to believe that I burnt 600 additional calories walking around my flat for the rest of the day but I have no idea what could be causing the calories tracked to be so far off, especially given when tracking via Workouts it seems to be fine, it's just the regular tracking that seems to be going insane.

I don't really care that much because I can just pay attention to the workouts and ignore the main Move ring stuff but I'd rather it...worked. I only got the watch on Sunday. Is this something that'll just calibrate over time and fix itself?

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone else had issues with the Apple Watch's calorie counting being way off?
I walked about 7 miles yesterday, about 13,000 steps. Tracking this via a workout correctly shows about 700-ish active calories which makes sense.

However, the move ring shows 1,366 active calories burned for the day. I find it hard to believe that I burnt 600 additional calories walking around my flat for the rest of the day but I have no idea what could be causing the calories tracked to be so far off, especially given when tracking via Workouts it seems to be fine, it's just the regular tracking that seems to be going insane.

I don't really care that much because I can just pay attention to the workouts and ignore the main Move ring stuff but I'd rather it...worked. I only got the watch on Sunday. Is this something that'll just calibrate over time and fix itself?

You can always try recalibrating your watch: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204516

But I don't think there's much reason to think the counts are off if you've entered the right info and have the watch properly calibrated. With the caveat that calories are an inexact science under non-lab conditions at the best of times, the reality is that you burn most of your calories every day just by existing. Respiration, digestion, etc.

diet_TOTAL_EXPENDITURE_CHART.0.jpg

That's why just exercising, while great for shaping up and for health, is not a great weight loss solution. Because you have to work out like a dog to burn off a bad diet, and that's probably just going to try and spur your body to want to eat more.

Kimchi_Breath

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone picked up the XS Max smart battery case? Seeing them on Amazon for a slight discount and I'm tempted to try it out.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
What's a good and reliable alarm app for the iPhone? I don't need anything fancy or sleep analysis, just a bit more than stock offers.
Snooze options, gently waking etc.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Ok so this has shit me for yonks, but how is it that in 2019 you can't auto sort your apps on your iphone. By alpha, bunch them by type or keywords into folders, and also why arent folders just full screens? Absolute horseshit.
The folders thing is so stupid. Before the great redesign of iOS 7 folders could hold one row less than the main section of the screen in a 4x4 grid. Now you can only do 3x3. 4x4 on iPad where it really should be a lot more anyway. It's dumb.

A redesigned home screen springboard really better be coming with iOS 13. If 13 turns out to not be the redesign everyone's expecting a lot of people are gonna be disappointed.

And a lot of people don't understand Apple's "flow" for app icons vs. Android's ability to put anywhere on a grid. I don't know if I'd want the Android way though. For one thing it means the grid gets really badly warped when going into widescreen mode on all devices. With the flow ability they just order themselves properly as you rotate. Which is why Apple doesn't do it and probably never will. It's also the reason they don't do Widgets since automatically flowing widgets wouldn't work. I don't really want widgets on the home screen though. I'm fine with them where they are on their own page. However I DO want more live updating icons for apps like Weather, (live conditions and temperature on the icon) Music, (Put a time bar on the icon or something) and of course the Activity icon (For reals, why isn't it a live icon with the three rings showing your current progress?) and Health icon. (Which would show the most recent heart-rate under the heart picture)

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of folders it annoys me a lot that since one of the latest major updates when you look for an app in Spotlight it stopped telling you which folder that app is in, so you can open it but can't move it without manually finding it. And sometimes it can be tricky to find them. And I mean, I think this should be basic Spotlight stuff. In the Mac this would be unacceptable.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Speaking of folders it annoys me a lot that since one of the latest major updates when you look for an app in Spotlight it stopped telling you which folder that app is in, so you can open it but can't move it without manually finding it. And sometimes it can be tricky to find them. And I mean, I think this should be basic Spotlight stuff. In the Mac this would be unacceptable.

Yeah that's annoying.
But you can type the whole app name and it only shows that app with the folder name to the right.

Erebus

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Europe
Is it advised to run antivirus software on MacOS these days? If so, what do you guys use? Is Malware Bytes just as good as on Windows?

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah that's annoying.
But you can type the whole app name and it only shows that app with the folder name to the right.
Ah, that is cool, thanks. But it seems so work somewhat inconsistently for me, as it shows the folder name for some apps but not for others, like in this example (that I have confirmed it is indeed in a folder).

8wcscWfh.jpg

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Ordered my Mac mini today, looking forward to it. 12" MacBook still sells for a good price too, will probably lose 100 bucks at max.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
can someone recommend a cheap (becuase my company won't buy it, have to pay for it myself) USB-C adapter for MBP that will let me charge my MBP while giving me a single USB-A port? At the moemnt I'm juggling my charging or my Jabra speaker for conf calls and its driving me crazy. Stupid two USB port MBP..

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I stopped using it on the watch because the battery drain was nuts. Though of course that's how their whole feature works

Doesn't it make more sense to just use your phone on your bed with those kinds of apps, since your watch generally needs to charge at night?

If you really wanted sleep tracking through your wearable device that seems like an area where the fitbit fits better.

Apropos of that, though, I've had my Apple Watch a little more than a week now and I'm greatly enjoying it. So nice to deal with all the texts I get quickly without pulling out my phone. The handwriting recognition is actually pretty great too, especially when I'm writing off-handed.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't it make more sense to just use your phone on your bed with those kinds of apps, since your watch generally needs to charge at night?

If you really wanted sleep tracking through your wearable device that seems like an area where the fitbit fits better.

Apropos of that, though, I've had my Apple Watch a little more than a week now and I'm greatly enjoying it. So nice to deal with all the texts I get quickly without pulling out my phone. The handwriting recognition is actually pretty great too, especially when I'm writing off-handed.

The Apple Watch is so much more flexible than a Fitbit. If I only wanted a sleep tracker then maybe there is a better option, but I'm not going to have an Apple Watch for daytime use and a Fitbit for night.

For what it's worth, I really like "AutoSleep" and "Heart Watch" for the sleep and heartrate monitoring.

Last edited:

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017

The watch also track your heart rate and more accurately tracks your movement activity than just using your phone for it. Also, the vibration alarm on the watch is better than a normal alarm. And yeah as said above if you share a bed with someone it's better all round tracking on the watch.

It uses about 25-30% batter power on my phone and watch but I put both on to charge before I leave the house, the watch is always fully charged by that time and the phone is almost full since I've got an X and the stuff needed to fast charge it.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
PSA for anyone that was considering a Mac Mini but bailed due to price.

Apple has started to sell these on the refurb store. I picked up an i7 / 16GB / 512GB SSD / 10GbE network model yesterday for ~$1500. It's still expensive, but with a couple of plug-ins it'll replace my flaky Mac Pro. It's super doubtful that I'd pay what they wind up asking for the forthcoming MP, but if so I'll just move this to a family member or sell it. I think I saved ~$270 from a custom build price (~15%). Ebates knocked off another $30.

I would have been fine with the i5 and less onboard storage (I'll plug in an external SSD) but I needed it now and this was the closest thing. Free shipping would have it here Tuesday but for $8 they did Saturday Fedex for weekend setup.. excited!

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
The most popular messaging platform WhatsApp now has faceID and touchID options within the app meaning even if you give your phone to someone by unlocking it they cannot open your WhatsApp app until they use either touchID or faceID

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Looking into a MacBook Air to double as office work and multimedia (on a small scale) tech booth type stuff.

Any warnings against?

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Nah, I also like the silent alarm feature of the watch.

I switched to using AutoSleep/AutoWake for my sleep tracking/morning alarm

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I'm really impressed by my new HomePod! Sound super nice. I've been using Siri to text my family as well as add todo items to my task managing app (Things) through the day. The sound quality is very good. My only issue is that it's very loud! I live in a small apartment and the volume at around 25% is enough to fill the whole apartment. I wonder what it's like at max volume.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm really impressed by my new HomePod! Sound super nice. I've been using Siri to text my family as well as add todo items to my task managing app (Things) through the day. The sound quality is very good. My only issue is that it's very loud! I live in a small apartment and the volume at around 25% is enough to fill the whole apartment. I wonder what it's like at max volume.

If you ask Siri to set it to max volume she'll ask if you're sure 😂

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Does anyone use silicone tip add-ons on their AirPods? If so, which? While a big improvement over the EarPods, these still let in a lot of sound.

I ordered these but don't have them yet: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LG8V2R8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I use these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019BREFE4/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_9RnyCbHBJE44Q but I bought them to stop the AirPods falling out. They have a minimal effect on sound leakage – the ones you chose look like they'll be better for that.

I hate having to remove and reattach them every time. It literally takes three seconds to attach them but it makes the AirPods feel 100x less convenient.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I use these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019BREFE4/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_9RnyCbHBJE44Q but I bought them to stop the AirPods falling out. They have a minimal effect on sound leakage – the ones you chose look like they'll be better for that.

I hate having to remove and reattach them every time. It literally takes three seconds to attach them but it makes the AirPods feel 100x less convenient.

Did it help with the fit? I also bought a version of mine that have the hooks like yours.

And, fuck, I didn't even think about having to take them off every time because they won't fit in the case, lol.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I hope new airpods are either a little gripper, or allow a little more room for third party tips.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really on the fence about buying one once I've moved next week. I want one but I feel like the day I buy one, they'll announce the new one the following week lol.

Then again, I could use a smart speaker in several rooms.