• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
So is it pretty much certain Apple are having an event at the end of March or sometime around then? Do they have one every year around that time? I only really pay attention to WWDC and the iPhone reveals.

Really want some AirPods and AirPower. but I'm getting tired of waiting. I was interested in a new iPad Mini bu tI think I'm probably just going to get an XS Max instead.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So is it pretty much certain Apple are having an event at the end of March or sometime around then? Do they have one every year around that time? I only really pay attention to WWDC and the iPhone reveals.

Really want some AirPods and AirPower. but I'm getting tired of waiting. I was interested in a new iPad Mini bu tI think I'm probably just going to get an XS Max instead.
Yeah a Spring special event is quite common and it usually lands in March, but it's not a yearly occurrence. With the highly rumored (and leaked) eminent products, it seems quite likely this year. Worth a wait at this point.

infiniteloop

Oct 25, 2017

There a number of things found in the 12.2 beta or rumored to be in production now that could potentially be released/announced at an event in March:
- new iPad mini and regular iPad
- new Airpods
- AirPower
- Magazines and Video service.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
I'm really on the fence about buying one once I've moved next week. I want one but I feel like the day I buy one, they'll announce the new one the following week lol.

Then again, I could use a smart speaker in several rooms.

I really want a HomePod, based on sound quality alone...

But I have other inputs I'd want to feed into it (PS4, record player, playing/streaming games on an Apple TV), and it doesn't have any non-AirPlay inputs. I hope v2 includes an "aux in" of some type.

Oct 25, 2017

But I have other inputs I'd want to feed into it (PS4, record player, playing/streaming games on an Apple TV), and it doesn't have any non-AirPlay inputs. I hope v2 includes an "aux in" of some type.

Yeah this is one of the places where their war against the headphone jack collides with reality. I can see the chain of thinking that leads them not to put a jack in—I imagine most of these speakers people aren't doing a hard line, and it's not like their most popular products have the 3.5" jack now—but it definitely limits utility and puts a hard cap on its lifespan.

Whereas if you had a doomed iPod Hifi, it's still a pretty good speaker that you can plug in anything because it had the iPod dock and a line in.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I can definitely see how that's a limitation. I don't intend to use it with any of these devices that run to my AVR, but it's not a very good design overall.
I guess the biggest missed opportunity here is that AirPlay 2 could have widened what qualifies as an AirPlay Sender, so that at least an AirPlay 2 compatible receiver could have output to a HomePod or a pair of HomePods. That would have been pretty limiting but still a lot more open than only being compatible with Apple sources.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I really wanted a HomePod but the inevitable lack of Spotify was a dealbreaker. Bought a Sonos One instead.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really impressed by my new HomePod! Sound super nice. I've been using Siri to text my family as well as add todo items to my task managing app (Things) through the day. The sound quality is very good. My only issue is that it's very loud! I live in a small apartment and the volume at around 25% is enough to fill the whole apartment. I wonder what it's like at max volume.

I highly recommend the HomePod if you can tolerate the Siri maturation curve. The actual sound is nice. I had one in the living room, now have added a second in my office (thanks to Best Buy's $250 Black Friday price).

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Are the current AirPods just made from the exact same shiny plastic as the standard EarPods?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Man, using macOS on a more powerful machine is a joy. Even if this is just the i3 Mac mini, the performance doesn't even compare to the rMB. Very smooth and snappy, Windows 10 VM runs nicely too for the occasional software fallback 👌 Actually having ports to work with doesn't hurt the experience either lol

E: Woah, I was totally oblivious to the VMWare Unity feature. Basically puts the Windows apps into macOS like native apps. That's wild and absolutely perfect for my use case.

Last edited:

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
So I've set up my new iPhone Xr for the past few days with my work SIM and today I finally got the e-SIM code from my private provider, and added it. Started looking into how to move over my SMS from the Samsung, and apparently the move to iOS app on Android only works during first set-up of the iPhone.

Why would they put such a roadblock in moving over? I'll now need to reset the iPhone to be able to move over my messages, meaning I have to go through the whole setup process again, including fixing all the 2FA apps and such.
So options seem to be:
- No messages transferred
- Reset the phone and start over with all apps
- Use third-party PC software with little to no reviews, that require you to "disable your anti-virus, trust untrusted app" etc.

Are there any other options at all to moving over my SMS-messages?

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
My Apple wireless keyboard refused to connect to my Mac mini out of nowhere. It just kept blinking. I'm trying to replace the batteries, but the second one is stuck inside and I can't get it out.

Ultimately, I got it out by applying superglue to the head of a screw, glueing it to the battery, and pulling it out. I used a screw because it was the only thin, long object with a flat head I could find. It was stuck really tight, and I had to use all my strength to pull it out. I guess it must have been slightly swollen. Just enough to get stuck. With the naked eye, the battery looked perfectly fine.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
So my iPhone SE started to exhibit some weird screen discoloration a while ago and it's gotten progressively worse. First it was barely visible, but now there's a full on yellow blob on the right hand side of the screen. I've also began noticing a blue streak now going down the middle and another yellowish one on the left edge. The phone's not even three years old. Even the screen on my 8 year old iPod Touch is in better shape than this. I've been really careful with the phone, so I have no idea what could've caused it. I brought it in to replace the battery a couple of months ago, and I don't recall having had the issue before. Or at least it wasn't this egregious. Is this common? What are my odds on getting this fixed without it costing an arm and a leg? Zero I'm guessing.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
So my iPhone SE started to exhibit some weird screen discoloration a while ago and it's gotten progressively worse. First it was barely visible, but now there's a full on yellow blob on the right hand side of the screen. I've also began noticing a blue streak now going down the middle and another yellowish one on the left edge. The phone's not even three years old. Even the screen on my 8 year old iPod Touch is in better shape than this. I've been really careful with the phone, so I have no idea what could've caused it. I brought it in to replace the battery a couple of months ago, and I don't recall having had the issue before. Or at least it wasn't this egregious. Is this common? What are my odds on getting this fixed without it costing an arm and a leg? Zero I'm guessing.
Maybe it is indeed an issue caused by the replacement. Try to spin it that way when you contact support. I think they only have a 60-day warrant on repairs but can't hurt to try.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Will Apple do a paid battery swap on my OG AirPods?
I've been thinking about this lately too - I may end up just buying the new version of the AirPods purely for battery life reasons (and that'd be a shame - I don't like to buy into a product line every single generation unless there's a really substantial improvement every time).

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I've been thinking about this lately too - I may end up just buying the new version of the AirPods purely for battery life reasons (and that'd be a shame - I don't like to buy into a product line every single generation unless there's a really substantial improvement every time).

If you need to replace the battery in both you'd probably be better off buying new ones. It's $69 per AirPod (and also $69 if you need to replace the case).

https://support.apple.com/airpods/repair/service

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it is indeed an issue caused by the replacement. Try to spin it that way when you contact support. I think they only have a 60-day warrant on repairs but can't hurt to try.

Reading up a bit on people with similar issues it might've indeed been because of the repairs. Something about screwing in certain components too tightly and/or the adhesive layer of the glass/screen coming loose. I babied this phone for over two years. No idea how this could've happened through regular use.

undecided

Oct 27, 2017
Do the new iPad Pros really only get 1080p video support from all of the video apps? I have been considering picking one up but that seems like a feature worth waiting until next year for...

Oct 25, 2017
Reading up a bit on people with similar issues it might've indeed been because of the repairs. Something about screwing in certain components too tightly and/or the adhesive layer of the glass/screen coming loose. I babied this phone for over two years. No idea how this could've happened through regular use.

It's tech. Sometimes you just have a pad piece of hardware.

undecided

Oct 27, 2017
And I'm unclear what next year has to do with it. The iPad clearly can support higher resolutions if the apps implement it.

I have a 12.9 Pro and honestly don't recall video quality being an issue.
Apple doesn't have it on the compatibility matrix for their own 4K videos. I suspect they will use it as a reason to upgrade to a later model in the future.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
everything a10 and newer could theoretically play 10-bit hevc at 4k just fine

they just don't because, idk, bandwidth? none of the devices have high enough resolution screens for them to bother? it's definitely not hardware support, at any rate.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a very annoying issues on my iphone XS. It seems like since the last iOS update, hey siri has quit responding. When I say hey siri, it activates, and then immediately deactivates. It works if I hold the power button to bring up siri.

I've tried rebooting, turning hey siri on and off again. These things fixed it for a bit, but then if i try again later the same thing happens.

Hey siri works fine on my apple watch. Only having this happen on the phone.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm having a very annoying issues on my iphone XS. It seems like since the last iOS update, hey siri has quit responding. When I say hey siri, it activates, and then immediately deactivates. It works if I hold the power button to bring up siri.

I've tried rebooting, turning hey siri on and off again. These things fixed it for a bit, but then if i try again later the same thing happens.

Hey siri works fine on my apple watch. Only having this happen on the phone.

Is something else picking it up, iPad or HomePod? Or even your watch when trying to use it with your phone?

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
And the news service takes a 50% cut of all revenue from the Apple subscription? And it's still under negotiation? Seems sketchy.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah that doesn't make any sense to me. They're not holding an event at the Steve Jobs theater just to talk about Apple News.

Yeah, that's another thing. Odds of an event in this vein being at the Steve Jobs theater are pretty low. I suspect this is a leak gone wrong, and some internal source is about to get hella busted

infiniteloop

Oct 25, 2017
Service for next month is for magazines ie. Texture purchase.
News subscription would be something additional that they are still negotiating.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Day 3. My Mac mini suddenly refuses to output to my display and when I somehow get it to after replugging cables and whatnot, I am either asked to reset my password or unlock my boot volume. If I do the latter, I am stuck yet again on a black screen with no other possibility than to shut it down.

Wonderful.

E: Disconnecting the external drive seems to have done the trick. I sincerely hope this was just a one-off occurence... I only have data on that drive, no system stuff or applications

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, issue seems to still occur even with no peripherals attached. What utter bs.

I have a hunch it was the .3 update. Everything worked fine before that...

E: fwiw, I decrypted the drive and it works reliably... for now. No idea what caused it to permanently ask me to unlock the drive and then ask for my user password again. In any case, not an acceptable scenario.

Last edited:

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just got a brand new shiny Apple Watch, already have an X and Airpods, so I guess I officially belong here.

Any Watch tips?

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just got a brand new shiny Apple Watch, already have an X and Airpods, so I guess I officially belong here.

Any Watch tips?

Honestly, go to the Watch App->General->About->Apple Watch User Guide. It's sorted by chapters and you'll learn way more than you think you will. So much small stuff that adds up over time, skip straight to the source.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I just discovered that you can watch YouTube VP9 video using the IINA Safari Extension. You basically right-click on a link or site and select the context item - boom. Minimal player window with highest video quality available including all other features of IINA (PiP window etc). Very nice. No need to taint your install with Chrome.

Oct 25, 2017
MacBook Pro 2018, purchased in September, that I use mostly in clamshell mode, now does the double spaces at random, as well as some other strange character stuff.

:/

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Alright what the FUCK is the deal with Safari on iPhone? For as long as I can remember now I've had random no-response when tapping on page numbers, links, embedded media on various sites. I have to refresh the page, sometimes more than once. I'm on the current iOS 12 public beta but this has been a problem I think even before iOS 12 for me. It's starting to piss me off.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Alright what the FUCK is the deal with Safari on iPhone? For as long as I can remember now I've had random no-response when tapping on page numbers, links, embedded media on various sites. I have to refresh the page, sometimes more than once. I'm on the current iOS 12 public beta but this has been a problem I think even before iOS 12 for me. It's starting to piss me off.
Got an ad blocker? Could be fucking up stuff. Any specific examples so we can test out?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
No ad blockers, just vanilla Safari. ERA is one of the sites. I'll tap on an embedded tweet and nothing happens. Refresh the page then tapping on it takes me to twitter.
Clicking on Twitter links is all kinds of weird. On safari on my Mac I have to sign out of twittwr, otherwise, I can't open any Twitter links.

Have you tried signing out of Twitter?