• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I had my beats X replaced under warranty as the remote controls stopped working properly. Got a refurb replacement. Now its started flashing red/white and not turning on - are they generally unreliable? Hoping I'm still covered by warranty as these new ones are only 3 months old

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I had my beats X replaced under warranty as the remote controls stopped working properly. Got a refurb replacement. Now its started flashing red/white and not turning on - are they generally unreliable? Hoping I'm still covered by warranty as these new ones are only 3 months old
I'm rather disappointed by the reliability / build quality of the beatsX.

I mean, I DID use them as workout headphones when they aren't actually sweat proof - but after like 14 months one earphone stopped working altogether ...

I don't regret the switch to AirPods one bit.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Someone tell me what's up with keychain bc I can't wrap my head around it.

I login to this website, and it remembers my shit. Ok, sweet, no problem.

I pick up my iPhone and it doesn't seem to have any of that login remembered? I encounter this all the time. Do I have to have logged in once for it to have it the info?

This is just something I need to solve. I can't remember all these logins and passwords. It's supposed to do it for me,

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Are you just talking about it on the the phone or on multiple devices (i.e. iCloud keychain)?

Like, when I'm on my iPad, it has me logged in. I can log out and log back in to this site, or reddit, it remembers.

I jump on my iPhone and nothing is there, is it just because it hasn't been entered once? I would have thought it would just Face ID me for my shit and log me in and remember?

Doesn't the keychain remember my shit on one device and allow me to pop on another and be logged in? Only thing I can think of like I said, is that I need to login once. Maybe it doesn't work the way I want it too or think it should.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Clicking on Twitter links is all kinds of weird. On safari on my Mac I have to sign out of twittwr, otherwise, I can't open any Twitter links.

Have you tried signing out of Twitter?
Yeah Twitter can act weird/stupid at times.
Someone tell me what's up with keychain bc I can't wrap my head around it.

I login to this website, and it remembers my shit. Ok, sweet, no problem.

I pick up my iPhone and it doesn't seem to have any of that login remembered? I encounter this all the time. Do I have to have logged in once for it to have it the info?

This is just something I need to solve. I can't remember all these logins and passwords. It's supposed to do it for me,
Keychain just saves credentials, iCloud Keychain syncs that across devices. Logging into sites is still per device cause that's handled by local cookies, iCloud keychain just makes it easier cause it can auto fill saved logins/passwords. If you tap on a login field it should show the auto fill option it in the keyboard shortcut/autocomplete area.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm rather disappointed by the reliability / build quality of the beatsX.

I mean, I DID use them as workout headphones when they aren't actually sweat proof - but after like 14 months one earphone stopped working altogether ...

I don't regret the switch to AirPods one bit.
I've had a pair of BeatsX since launch. They've served me well and I don't really have any complaints other than the battery life not lasting a fully day at college if I'm constantly listening. I'll definitely be upgrading to the new AirPods though if they ever actually come out.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
You can get velcro sport loop bands in every color for two bucks including shipping on Aliexpress.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
44mm is sold out. They only have the small one. Anytime something on Apple says "sold out" and won't let you order it, it's not coming back.
I know the pain, if you want I can try to source it locally and ship it to you at cost + shipping, but be warned that in europe the bands cost €60.
You can get velcro sport loop bands in every color for two bucks including shipping on Aliexpress.
It's really not the same.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
It's really not the same.
It's really not as much of a difference as you are imagining. Especially these particular bands.

And mind you, that is before taking into account you can go through two dozen of them before losing out compared to an official one.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's really not as much of a difference as you are imagining. Especially these particular bands.

And mind you, that is before taking into account you can go through two dozen of them before losing out compared to an official one.
I'm not just imagining, when I first got an Apple Watch I had the same thought and ordered a bunch of sport bands from China. It was a disappointment because even though at first sight they looked about the same, the colours in many of them were off, the part that attaches to the case was iffy and wouldn't allow for as smooth band interchange, and the worst of all the finish/material was more sticky and shiny, and less matte like the original ones, and also would leave a rash on my wrist after some usage.

I'm not saying that the Apple ones are 10 times better to justify 10 times the price, but I don't need 10 times cheaper I just want the same quality standard as the official ones as cheap as possible but they don't seem to quite get there, at any price. So I treat bands like buying a nice brand t-shirt. I'll get one here or there, pay attention to sales etc. I don't need a ton of them. I have like 3 or 4 bands I've amassed over the years.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
The T-shirt analogy falls apart for me when they want like 60 bucks from me, compared to 15 on Amazon.ca

If a new band from Apple makes anybody happy tho, I don't think it's worth stressing over. Hopefully they stay compatible for a long time, that would be great.

Oct 25, 2017
I got a rash from one of the fake 3rd party bands I bought on Amazon and had to go to the doctor to get it treated. If someone wants to buy 1st party bands, more power to them.

Edit: I also had a fake Milanese loop band straight up break and my watch fell off of it. Luckily it was on carpet so it wasn't damaged, but still.

Also, here's Gruber's report card on Apple 2018:
https://daringfireball.net/2019/02/my_2018_apple_report_card

Mac - D
iPhone - A
iPad - B
Apple Watch - B
Apple TV - C
Services - B

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
My wife bought a 3rd party sport style band and it's cracking a bit. She is still wearing it and my fear is that it's going to break and she'll not notice she lost the watch.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's case by case. Probably there isn't a single source for fake bands either. But I decided to not mess with it from my experience.

But I mean this mostly for the sports bands. After all, there's been watch bands since forever and with a good adapter many other bands from 3rd parties can be good.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know the pain, if you want I can try to source it locally and ship it to you at cost + shipping, but be warned that in europe the bands cost €60.

Oof. I really appreciate the offer, but that's too rich for my blood. Especially because I wouldn't have paid the $50 for it anyway.

I bought the celestial teal sports loop, I'll be happy with that

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Four days outside of warranty for my beatsX. Retailer says (fairly) - talk to Apple. Apple want £106.44 for an out of warranty repair and the replacements will come with a 90 day warranty

I can buy brand new with 2 year warranty for £109. So £2.50 more.

Out of warranty repairs are crazy - still have a surface pro 4 gathering dust because MS wants £350 to send me a refurb

So I need new ones for my daughter as they were a Christmas present. Do I just buy her new beatsX, or consider her getting my AirPods and me holding out for AirPod 2s soon?

Ogami Itto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The new 11' iPad Pro is $100 off at Costco (256 gb), should I just go for it or wait for the regular iPad refresh? I will never use the pencil or the keyboard with this.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Four days outside of warranty for my beatsX. Retailer says (fairly) - talk to Apple. Apple want £106.44 for an out of warranty repair and the replacements will come with a 90 day warranty

I can buy brand new with 2 year warranty for £109. So £2.50 more.

Out of warranty repairs are crazy - still have a surface pro 4 gathering dust because MS wants £350 to send me a refurb

So I need new ones for my daughter as they were a Christmas present. Do I just buy her new beatsX, or consider her getting my AirPods and me holding out for AirPod 2s soon?
Yup, i was told the same thing. Send mine in and have them fixed for 100something euros, or just get new ones for a few euros more.
But again, due to my not-so-great experience vis-a-vis their reliability, i made the switch to AirPods.
And - just like with the AppleWatch - if i were to lose / break my AirPods, i'd replace them in a second. They've become a similarly essential extension to my phone.

Oct 25, 2017
I got a rash from one of the fake 3rd party bands I bought on Amazon and had to go to the doctor to get it treated. If someone wants to buy 1st party bands, more power to them.

Edit: I also had a fake Milanese loop band straight up break and my watch fell off of it. Luckily it was on carpet so it wasn't damaged, but still.

Also, here's Gruber's report card on Apple 2018:
https://daringfireball.net/2019/02/my_2018_apple_report_card

Mac - D
iPhone - A
iPad - B
Apple Watch - B
Apple TV - C
Services - B

I find it kind of goofy that he torpedoes the Mac score over the keyboard, not over hardware reliability issues.

I'm a big mechanical keyboard fan and I still bang out 80wpm on the new keyboards. Hardware issues are way more pressing than some nebulous feeling of 'this keyboard doesn't bring me joy'.

Oct 25, 2017
Will 2019 bring us into PadOS territory? The chants for PadOS are growing louder and louder.

They've been talking about every other year for iPad iOS improvements for a while and that seems to be the observable pattern. IOS 11 had multi-apps and the dock, iOS 9 had PiP, slideover, etc.

I doubt it's going to be the PadOS dream, though, just because everyone wants something different and you can't get that stuff all in one year.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Instead of annoying paying customers with bs push notifications to up their services business, they should work on actually using the feature for - say - sending notifications about new albums of artists you listen to. I have received a grand total of 1 such notification so far... in about a year of being subbed to the service. What's so hard about this?

https://9to5mac.com/2019/02/16/apple-music-referral-notifications-disable/

Seriously. I received one, and only one, when the new Ariana Grande album dropped. I legit sent a message to a friend with a screenshot saying "I thought that setting was broken". I want more of that stuff!

I find it kind of goofy that he torpedoes the Mac score over the keyboard, not over hardware reliability issues.

I'm a big mechanical keyboard fan and I still bang out 80wpm on the new keyboards. Hardware issues are way more pressing than some nebulous feeling of 'this keyboard doesn't bring me joy'.

They have a perfect keyboard in the magic keyboard and for some reason won't use it on their portables. Super thin, still some travel, no reliability issues. I've been saying that for a while. The answer is staring them in the face.

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously. I received one, and only one, when the new Ariana Grande album dropped. I legit sent a message to a friend with a screenshot saying "I thought that setting was broken". I want more of that stuff!

They have a perfect keyboard in the magic keyboard and for some reason won't use it on their portables. Super thin, still some travel, no reliability issues. I've been saying that for a while. The answer is staring them in the face.

So is he in the grade. And I'm certainly not opposed to it. But of all the issues people have brought up with the new MacBook Pros, the keyboard is dead-last in things they have to fix versus reliability of said keyboards and hardware.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Need to put my 2011 MacBook Pro down, but I do not want to drop a ton of money on an '18 version with the keyboard issues being what they are. And apparently keyboard skins won't help.

Thinking about getting a refurbished 2015 edition for around $900, and riding that out until Apple makes good on this issue. Reviews are pretty solid on it still, perhaps because it's the last version of the hardware to not be plagued by the faulty keyboard.

Should I just wait, or what?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
It will have bug improvements I think. They are in a spot where if they don't back up there own hardware they would be ambarrasing themselves.

I love my iPad, but it needs to stop feeling like a giant iPhone.

I think thats exactly what a lot of people want from it. Some people dig the simplicity. If those people wanted a MacBook they'd buy it.

I can see it going either way but I think moving toward where OSX is will be polarizing.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think thats exactly what a lot of people want from it. Some people dig the simplicity. If those people wanted a MacBook they'd buy it.

I can see it going either way but I think moving toward where OSX is will be polarizing.

Then make PadOS only run on iPad Pros, and keep regular iOS on regular iPads.

People who buy pros are a self-selecting group, way more than MacBooks. The difference in price between a MacBook Air and Pro is negligible. The difference in price between an iPad and Pro is huge.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any app that will let me set a music alarm but not need me to wave my phone unlocked with the screen on all night? Ideally with a streaming radio station but mp4 would be ok

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Then make PadOS only run on iPad Pros, and keep regular iOS on regular iPads.

People who buy pros are a self-selecting group, way more than MacBooks. The difference in price between a MacBook Air and Pro is negligible. The difference in price between an iPad and Pro is huge.

I don't think they will want to drive that segmentation, but it is just my opinion.

There are plenty of reasons for people to buy a Pro model that have nothing to do with Pro use. My wife and mom use Pros. My kids would be using them if I could afford to do so.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I don' t think they need a different OS. ipad has great apps. It just needs a few tweaks to the existing OS to make things better for those that really want to replace a laptop with a tablet (I'm not saying 'pro' people because lots of normal people might want to do that too).

Bluetooth mouse support at least within apps would be trivial to add, and would bring as much functional benefit to users of more officey apps as the pencil does for art/design apps

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Yeah, just keep adding functionality. The simplicity of the iPads OS is nice, but I want it to feel more substantial. I want it to feel like the future.

Like the fact I can only have one user on my iPad. That's kind of ridiculous.

My 3 and 5 year old are loving the pencil and and it's such a clean and easy way for them to draw where they would get bored on paper but on the iPad it feels like the future. My son was even messing with my wireless Logitech keyboard and figuring stuff out.

I would like to own my first Mac someday, maybe an iMac mini, but if they can do most of this cool stuff on an iPad than it's just so much more convenient. Add a mouse support and I would be so happy bc I could basically turn it into such a versatile piece of tech.

Speaking of which, can I use like a wireless printer with iPhone and iPad? I never owned one and have not a clue about that subject.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, just keep adding functionality. The simplicity of the iPads OS is nice, but I want it to feel more substantial. I want it to feel like the future.

My 3 and 5 year old are loving the pencil and and it's such a clean and easy way for them to draw where they would get bored on paper but on the iPad it feels like the future. My son was even messing with my wireless Logitech keyboard and figuring stuff out.

I would like to own my first Mac someday, maybe an iMac mini, but if they can do most of this cool stuff on an iPad than it's just so much more convenient. Add a mouse support and I would be so happy bc I could basically turn it into such a versatile piece of tech.

Speaking of which, can I use like a wireless printer with iPhone and iPad? I never owned one and have not a clue about that subject.
Yeah just check that it is a wifi printer with AirPrint. At this point AirPrint is very widespread.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

I agree that single user doesn't make sense at this point. It shouldn't be difficult to add that functionality.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Yes you can use a wireless printer with an iPad or an iPhone. But not any wireless printer. The ones sold on Apples web site will work. You have to be careful which one you want to buy.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Found a high end 15" 2015 MBP in great condition for $900. Guess I'll consider that a win.

Feels weird to drop that kind of cash on something that I really only want as a stopgap for a couple years though.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen a wireless printer sold without AirPrint for years

Me either, I also haven't shopped for a wireless printer in about three years, when I bought the MFP M225dw. I just buy the latest HP laser printer within my price range that suits my needs and use it until I need a new one. All my HP printers have fortunately never died, they kept working, but became obsolete because of new features like AirPrint. Prior to three years ago I bought an HP printer like eight years before that one... it didn't even have WiFi but I could print to it wirelessly by plugging it into my AirPort Extreme which extended its life for like another five years.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the lats few weeks every one of my devices has been pestering me with this "Update Apple ID settings / iCloud is gonna be f*cked up until you fix this" prompt and I don't know how to get rid of it. I log in whenever it asks me to login and IDK what to do? I don't use iCloud anyway so why is it bothering me. And the fucking shit mac OS makes it so you can't just dismiss the pop up, you HAVE to click it.

infiniteloop

Oct 25, 2017
Macrumors has new Ming-Chi Kuo research note.

kuo-2019-apple-roadmap-800x458.jpg

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/02/17/apple-31-inch-6k-display-mini-led-kuo/

New Mac stuff sounds the most interesting... wonder if new Keyboard.

iPhone/iPad/Apple Watch release sound pretty tame this year.