• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
That new Mini should be crazy popular with the crowd that needs a carry-around notebook thanks to Pencil support.
Lo(o)se pencil is blergh tho.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I would have been all over that Mini if it was the same design as the Pro with no home button and Face ID.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
For smaller or lower-power devices, they're awesome. I have a bunch all around the house, and they get used constantly -- bedside table, sofa end tables, at my desk, a stand version in the kitchen for cooking timers. I even got a Qi-to-micro USB adapter for my Kindle so I can charge that wirelessly.

They won't work well with an iPad, though. They just don't put out enough power.
I would only need them for my X.

Kikuchiyosuke

Jan 11, 2018
Anyone having battery problems with the Series 4 watch? I have a 40mm Space Gray aluminum model that I bought last Saturday. Charged it to 100% and exactly one day later there's only 36% battery left. I have the 42mm Series 3 watch and it still has ~50% battery left after one day of use and normally lasts 2 days.

Some internet posts say to give it a few days because the new watch is still indexing stuff. Any truth to that?

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone having battery problems with the Series 4 watch? I have a 40mm Space Gray aluminum model that I bought last Saturday. Charged it to 100% and exactly one day later there's only 36% battery left. I have the 42mm Series 3 watch and it still has ~50% battery left after one day of use and normally lasts 2 days.

Some internet posts say to give it a few days because the new watch is still indexing stuff. Any truth to that?

I would give it a few days. But 36% left after 24 hours does not sound unreasonable at all for a 40 mm series 4, which is what I have. Really depends on your usage patterns. I've heard the series 3 may have slightly better battery life.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, you are comparing a 40/38mm watch with a 42/44mm watch. A discrepancy of 10% in battery doesn't seem too outlandish I think?

Kikuchiyosuke

Jan 11, 2018
I would give it a few days. But 36% left after 24 hours does not sound unreasonable at all for a 40 mm series 4, which is what I have. Really depends on your usage patterns. I've heard the series 3 may have slightly better battery life.
I mean, you are comparing a 40/38mm watch with a 42/44mm watch. A discrepancy of 10% in battery doesn't seem too outlandish I think?

Yeah, maybe I just got used to the 42mm battery life that the 40mm threw me off. I'm gonna give it a few days and if I still can't get a solid 2-day battery life, I'm gonna exchange it for the 44mm version. Thanks!

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, maybe I just got used to the 42mm battery life that the 40mm threw me off. I'm gonna give it a few days and if I still can't get a solid 2-day battery life, I'm gonna exchange it for the 44mm version. Thanks!

The 44 probably gets better battery but I'm not sure many are reporting being able to get 2 day battery out of their series 4

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I keep getting tempted to pick up an iPhone X even though my iPhone SE is still perfectly fine, and I really don't want anything bigger than it.

It helps that the price is so high. If it was closer to $600 I probably would have snapped by now. I got damn close when Best Buy put 'em on sale for $749 back on the 1st.

Dobbie078

Oct 28, 2017
I keep getting tempted to pick up an iPhone X even though my iPhone SE is still perfectly fine, and I really don't want anything bigger than it.

It helps that the price is so high. If it was closer to $600 I probably would have snapped by now. I got damn close when Best Buy put 'em on sale for $749 back on the 1st.

I went from an SE to an X last year and I'm glad that I did, browsing the web is just so much better now.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I went from an SE to an X last year and I'm glad that I did, browsing the web is just so much better now.

I'd want it for the better camera more than anything. I don't really do a whole lot of web/video consumption on my iPhone.

I'd probably be better off taking the $899 an iPhone X costs and dumping it into a LTE-equipped Apple Watch and some airpods, that way I could start leaving my phone at home more often.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

Haha, what? The AppleWatch most definitely doesn't need "a few days" to index stuff.

Personally, depending on how much i actively used it throughout the day, whether or not i did a workout, i go to bed with around 65% or so battery left; on my 40mm.

What might really be happening here is there "I GOT A NEW DEVICE!" effect and you're just fiddling around with it a lot more than someone who's already through the "honeymoon period". This is a severe impact to battery life on the AppleWatch because screen-on time is the biggest battery hog. on a device with that small a battery.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Question: You can ignore all the Nike+ features of an Nike+ Apple Watch, correct? B&H has a good deal on 'em but I don't have a need for any of that but I also don't want to be forced into a permanent complication or something.

Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth with sleep tracking and the like, I have a Series 4, I use AutoSleep, and it tracks me pretty darn well to my eye, gives good trending info, and takes maybe 10% off my battery while I sleep, which means I just charge when brushing my teeth and shower and I'm near 100 for the day.

Question: You can ignore all the Nike+ features of an Nike+ Apple Watch, correct? B&H has a good deal on 'em but I don't have a need for any of that but I also don't want to be forced into a permanent complication or something.

Yes. I have a Nike watch and I don't use the Nike stuff at all.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I and get the Velcro band that feels like jogging pants cheap off amazon, sport loop?

Forget im ever wearing it, even in bed

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
Is there anywhere to get those new wallpapers for the iPads? Wouldn't mind throwing one of them on my Pro.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Something that crossed my mind is that if Apple kept or keeps working on under the display Touch ID it could eventually work really well on the Apple Watch too. I can already put my finger on it and imagine it, it'd be neat. Although the passcode still needs to be input every day or so. But still it would make it smoother to take off and put it back on your wrist along the day.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Currently have a iPhone 6S 128GB , thinking of buying a 128GB XR. What are your thoughts on that transition?

Heard a lot of great feedback regarding it's battery life.

JavyOO7

Oct 27, 2017
I want to get an XR but am sure this iPhone 8 I have can last 4-5 years easy. I need to be strong ☹️

Kikuchiyosuke

Jan 11, 2018
Currently have a iPhone 6S 128GB , thinking of buying a 128GB XR. What are your thoughts on that transition?

Heard a lot of great feedback regarding it's battery life.

That's the same upgrade path that I went through. It took a few days to get used to the gestures, but I'm really loving the XR. Battery life is excellent as I can easily go through one whole day without worrying about charging, and two days if I barely use it. My only nitpick would be that it's slightly thicker than the 6S.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
XR is awesome, I think you would love the change honestly
That's the same upgrade path that I went through. It took a few days to get used to the gestures, but I'm really loving the XR. Battery life is excellent as I can easily go through one whole day without worrying about charging, and two days if I barely use it. My only nitpick would be that it's slightly thicker than the 6S.

Thanks for the input, have to charge twice a day just to keep my 6s alive; hoping the performance is an significant improvement in terms of loading times along with a better camera quality.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
I haven't had the issue, fortunately. I am curious if it's affecting certain devices.
Read some fixes online and did them but haven't tried FaceTime yet. Signing out of FaceTime, toggling it off from the settings, deleting the app, redownload, toggle on, sign in and it should work

ara

Oct 26, 2017

I have an 8, not SE, but this is the main reason I'm excited about upgrading to this year's XS equivalent when it's out. Been using my phone to browse the internet more and more over the last few months.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have any recommendations for long ass lightning cables, preferably lightning to usb-c? I'm trying to get my mom some cables so she can fast charge, but also some where she can have some slack and avoid me having to daisy chain some cables. The longest usb-c to lightning cables I've found were only 6 feet long; fine, but I'm also looking for a ten footer that could be used in the living room.

Or alternatively, can the regular lightning to usb-A cables still be used for fast charging? I tried a cable with my S10 fast charger to no avail, but I'm not sure if it was because of the cable, the charger, or both.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Something that crossed my mind is that if Apple kept or keeps working on under the display Touch ID it could eventually work really well on the Apple Watch too. I can already put my finger on it and imagine it, it'd be neat. Although the passcode still needs to be input every day or so. But still it would make it smoother to take off and put it back on your wrist along the day.

I don't remember the last time I unlocked my apple watch with a passcode. I put my watch on and usually I've unlocked my phone before needing to check the watch - and the phone authorises/unlocks the watch.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember the last time I unlocked my apple watch with a passcode. I put my watch on and usually I've unlocked my phone before needing to check the watch - and the phone authorises/unlocks the watch.
i don't quite get the point of locking your Apple Watch.
Like, i wear it all day, and there's no "sensitive data" on the watch? Is it to 'brick it when stolen'?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
i don't quite get the point of locking your Apple Watch.
Like, i wear it all day, and there's no "sensitive data" on the watch? Is it to 'brick it when stolen'?
I don't think Apple Pay or unlocking a Mac works without the code, does it? If it does, at least having the former enabled without a code is grossly negligent. Not that it's an inconvenience, really. Especially with Face ID. No point in not having a code.

E: Nvm, missed post above. Mandatory for Apple Pay I guess.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Messages and fitness data can be accessed from the Watch, which many would consider sensitive.
Apple Pay is what makes it (literally) mandatory. I wouldn't have a passcode on it otherwise.
I don't think Apple Pay or unlocking a Mac works without the code, does it? If it does, at least having the former enabled without a code is grossly negligent. Not that it's an inconvenience, really. Especially with Face ID. No point in not having a code.

ApplePay is not available in my country - that makes perfect sense of course, thanks for the replies!

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Yes also for Mac unlocking which I also use, forgot that.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, that feature doesn't work on my first gen 13" retina Macbook Pro - i think it's right below the cut-off for that feature.
Something about the Bluetooth chipset, i think :(
Ah, damn. Mine is a 2014 retina. It's a feature that once in a while may act up and you have to repair it, but when it works it's smooth.

Oct 29, 2017
What's the oldest, cheapest iPad that's still getting updates and doesn't have issues with any apps from the App Store? I'm considering getting one for my 4 year old so it's only needed for Youtube and kids games.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
What's the oldest, cheapest iPad that's still getting updates and doesn't have issues with any apps from the App Store? I'm considering getting one for my 4 year old so it's only needed for Youtube and kids games.

Personally, i think the sweet spot in "low entry price" vs "longevity" is last year's 9.7" iPad.
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...c25efca101c6924da719a0263aa85202c18c50b9ff16b

There's only 128gig models on Apple's refurbished store - the 32gig version would be $239 (sadly, none in stock) and that one will receive iOS updates for at least another 3-4 years.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...on=ipad&cm_re=ipad-_-24W-0002-009C0-_-Product

$249 on Newegg

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stealth iMac update just dropped. 8th gen Intel on the 21.5", 9th gen on the 27", up to 8 cores, faster RAM...

still a 5400rpm hard drive in the base model